Custom Guardians

By dkw, in Fan Creations

This Guardian is not recommended playing with the King in Yellow Herald.

51089937.jpg

edit: obviously the "can't be devoured" part doesn't work against acneint ones.

carddeck1h.jpg

I wouldn't call them Blight but Delight cards gui%C3%B1o.gif

kroen said:

carddeck1.jpg

I concur with Avi that the picture is... distracting, I suppose. Other than that I really like this guardian. Great theme for a marathon game.

kroen said:

This Guardian is not recommended playing with the King in Yellow Herald.

51089937.jpg

edit: obviously the "can't be devoured" part doesn't work against acneint ones.

carddeck1h.jpg

That's an odd use of Blights, but it's interesting. I think this would actually be more fun against the King in Yellow, as there would be a lot of 'back and forth' between the two powers.

An interesting side effect of this guardian is that the terror level becomes somewhat of a blessing, in it's own strange way. Not that that's a bad thing in and of itself, but it might make pure sealing and ignoring monsters a bit too viable a strategy. In any case, I'd like to try this out before passing judgement.

Here is a Guardian from The Dark Tower Series: Skoldpadda. The turtle pic isn't very good it should be a turtle with the earth on its back. Couldn't find one...

Skoldpadda-Front-Side.jpg

By the Power of Grayskull! I! Have! THE GAROD!

For Skoldpatta....Try typing in Anguirus on a google image search.....that way at least you'll get a scary looking turtle instead of a cute one.

Anguirus is one of godzilla's enemies.....don't ask me how I know that, I really am not sure....probably from playing too much of Godzilla: Destroy all Monsters Melee! back in the day.

I'm gonna guess that you tried typing in something like, "Zelda: Majora's Mask Giant Turtle" and got nothing right? lol. I only say that because I thought I had the perfect picture solution for you, but it turns out there are no good pictures of the giant turtle from that game. If you can find one, then you are set.

its really funny how this thread died out!! lol guardians were a bad idea for ah.

5eb8cz.jpg

"hear chirping" nuff said. this is why no new guardians in Innsmouth.

kroen said:

5eb8cz.jpg

She needs something else... as is it's just two rather bland but useful abilities with no flavor. The 'flavor text' section and Holding Evil Back both say the same thing, so you could use that space to explain who this even is and whatnot. Also, another ability or two would be nice just to make it not look so empty. It doesn't have to be anything powerful, just a nice little thematic tidbit would help.

pittplayer said:

"hear chirping" nuff said. this is why no new guardians in Innsmouth.

Actually, I think it has more to do with the problem of how little ways there actually are to help the investigators versus the millions of ways to hinder them. It's just how the game is designed.

Plus you also have to consider the lack of benevolent or even passively beneficial entities in the source fiction. Lovecraft himself avoided them like the plague and they aren't that common in his imitators either.

Guardians are a great mechanic for fine-tuning difficulty and adding variety to the experience in the form of more variables, but it can be hard to come up with a large number of them.

The Message said:

kroen said:

5eb8cz.jpg

She needs something else... as is it's just two rather bland but useful abilities with no flavor. The 'flavor text' section and Holding Evil Back both say the same thing, so you could use that space to explain who this even is and whatnot. Also, another ability or two would be nice just to make it not look so empty. It doesn't have to be anything powerful, just a nice little thematic tidbit would help.

He's got a point Kroen - there's space for a ton more stuff on there. Since it's all fairly 'passive' stuff so far, you could think about something the investigators can do or gain that they couldn't get before. Some sort of one-off special bonus card, like the Blessing of Bast thing?

Are you tired of getting blessed when you already have a blessing so the effect is wasted? I hate that. I had an idea for a Guardian that would make that less traumatic...

Card-Deck-1.png

Shield of Faith needs to have added, "Discard if you lose your blessing". Sorry about that.

Let me know what you think!

Nifty! Yeah, we've had that double blessing stuff come up a few times, and it always irritates the hell out of us - especially when we agonize over who to bless at South Church, and that player draws a Blessing encounter the next turn. Your cards are nifty, and I can see how it could be useful, but does double blessing really come up that frequently? The only other ability on the Guardian is nice, but we don't get cursed that often. Altogether, it seems like you could play an entire game without either ability triggering (you could always have everybody spam South Church, but I digress). Perhaps one more ability? One a little less random? Otherwise neat, and like the art.

Another ability could be good. I made the double bless ability hard to get because the Archangel cards are really good (or are supposed to be really good!)

Any ideas for another ability?

The cost to restore Sanity/ Stamina is reduced by $1, Investigators draw 2 cards at the Church, Flying monsters are returned to the cup on a roll or 1 when moved to the sky

How about...

Matins

Upkeep: Any Investigator at the South Church may restore one Sanity and one Stamina.

Here's a guardian to make Federal Raids in Innsmouth a little more satisfying.

And here's a link if the image is broken or too big: javascript:void(0);/*1243825259472*/

Dude looked kinda like my grandfather when they were young.

here is a herald i cooked up...no pun intended from the fact that me and my team have lots of bacon...goes with an expansion being created on our lives

Untitled5.jpg Untitled6.jpg

sorry you cant see the picture but its a pig shooting bacon from its eyes and the text below the picture reads as such

As the presence of <name> grows known, as does an over powering desire for bacon.

<b>Start of Game:</b> Place 10 <b>Bacon tokens</b> on <name>. Also add the <b>Wilbur: Ally Card</b>

Here's my take on the Feds...

The Office for Naval Intelligence
The Raid on Innsmouth was the catalyst for US intervention against the Mythos. In years to come the Office for Naval Intelligence would transform into Delta Green and would go on to serve a key role in World War II. But for now their forerunner must faces an equally challenging task...

Under Observation
After the Federal Raid Track has been reset, the first player may place one clue anywhere onto the Federal Raid Track. Furthermore, Innsmouth requires two additional Doom tokens before it can declare Martial Law.

Political Influence
Any Phase: No Investigator may receive the Wanted card or be Arrested in Arkham, Kingsport or Dunwich, though they may be arrested in Innsmouth. The Deputy may be purchased for half it's normal cost.

Government Funding
Arkham Encounters: Any Investigator at the Bank may choose discard two Gate Trophies, one Gate Trophy and five Toughness worth of Monster Trophies or ten Toughness worth of Monster Trophies. If they do so, they may receive a Retainer or discard a Loan from any one Investigator.

Hotline
Upkeep: An Investigator may a clue at the Police Station to contact the Federal Agents. When they do so, they may place a clue on the Federal Agent track. Only one clue per turn may be spent in this fashion.

Miltary Assistance
Upkeep: Once Martial Law has been declared, the government steps up it's campaign. The First Player may choose a non-Spawn monster anywhere on the board and roll two dice. If both dice show a result which is greater than the toughness of that monster, return it to the cup. Final Battle: If the Ancient One awakens, each investigator may roll one additional dice when making any Combat checks.

Jake yet again said:

Here's my take on the Feds...

The Office for Naval Intelligence
The Raid on Innsmouth was the catalyst for US intervention against the Mythos. In years to come the Office for Naval Intelligence would transform into Delta Green and would go on to serve a key role in World War II. But for now their forerunner must faces an equally challenging task...

Under Observation
After the Federal Raid Track has been reset, the first player may place one clue anywhere onto the Federal Raid Track. Furthermore, Innsmouth requires two additional Doom tokens before it can declare Martial Law.

Political Influence
Any Phase: No Investigator may receive the Wanted card or be Arrested in Arkham, Kingsport or Dunwich, though they may be arrested in Innsmouth. The Deputy may be purchased for half it's normal cost.

Government Funding
Arkham Encounters: Any Investigator at the Bank may choose discard two Gate Trophies, one Gate Trophy and five Toughness worth of Monster Trophies or ten Toughness worth of Monster Trophies. If they do so, they may receive a Retainer or discard a Loan from any one Investigator.

Hotline
Upkeep: An Investigator may a clue at the Police Station to contact the Federal Agents. When they do so, they may place a clue on the Federal Agent track. Only one clue per turn may be spent in this fashion.

Miltary Assistance
Upkeep: Once Martial Law has been declared, the government steps up it's campaign. The First Player may choose a non-Spawn monster anywhere on the board and roll two dice. If both dice show a result which is greater than the toughness of that monster, return it to the cup. Final Battle: If the Ancient One awakens, each investigator may roll one additional dice when making any Combat checks.

Hotline basically kills any incentive to ever go to Innsmouth, as you can keep the town in check without ever having to go there. Other than that it looks pretty good, though I can't imagine someone spending 2 gate trophies for a retainer card (Although that could just be because of my personal playstyle).

Good point. How about:-

Hotline

Any Phase: Whenever the Terror Level rises, the First Player may pay a clue to put a clue on an unused space on the Federal Raid track. This ability may only be used once per turn.

Makes sense thematically, gives you a chance to nail Innsmouth from afar, but won't be enough on it's own to keep Innsmouth under control.