Old Republic (Jedi Civil War) PbP Anyone?

By Rabobankrider, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

12 minutes ago, Rabobankrider said:

My main reason for planning it that way is so that characters get the opportunity to get their crystal, which has the potential to be interesting, while still being able to get stuck into the action of the Civil war at a level where they can get some proper responsibility and missions etc. If the other are against this idea I can look into lengthening the plot of the campaign to incorporate the training, but my intention is for most of the plot to revolve around the civil war.

Well, that's just it. A Force user typically doesn't even go on the crystal quest until he or she is almost 150 earned XP (Knight level) so, that would be my suggestion. Start the game at Knight level with the lightsaber trial, have us build our saber ( Endless Vigil will come in handy here), and jump right into the main event with no time skip.

Edited by Tramp Graphics

The younglings in the Clone Wars cartoons didn't look like 150 xp characters to me...

I feel like for this particular campaign it makes more sense to do it the way I laid out. The initial trial won't be particularly challenging I can't imagine, so it won't really require 150 xp, just a bit of rp from the players, It would also make sense for the characters to have some background experience as the council aren't likely to send inexperienced Jedi into a literal war. This way, we get the starting point which should be fun, and then get thrown right into the action without the middle ground. At least in my mind this way makes the most sense.

3 minutes ago, Kymrel said:

The younglings in the Clone Wars cartoons didn't look like 150 xp characters to me...

No, but they weren't 0 XP characters either. In fact, I would place them at close to 100 or so earned XP.

1 minute ago, Rabobankrider said:

I feel like for this particular campaign it makes more sense to do it the way I laid out. The initial trial won't be particularly challenging I can't imagine, so it won't really require 150 xp, just a bit of rp from the players, It would also make sense for the characters to have some background experience as the council aren't likely to send inexperienced Jedi into a literal war. This way, we get the starting point which should be fun, and then get thrown right into the action without the middle ground. At least in my mind this way makes the most sense.

It's more an issue of 0 earned XP being too soon to be searching for crystals at all. Most starting F&D characters aren't even likely to have any Force powers yet, and likely only one, maybe two talents from their specialization. This is why the crystal trial happens when they're close to Knight level, not starting level. Starting level is too soon to search for crystals and build lightsabers.

Dude this is a different setting, therefore the rules matter less when it comes to this

I feel at this stage we are sort of going in circles here. If we were running a standard campaign it may well be too early, but as the crystal cave is just an intro to the main event, I really can't see it being an issue. If you want you're welcome to emote your character as if they have more xp than they do on their sheet, but starting on standard xp for the crystal cave will not hurt the players the way I'm planning it. From what I've seen of people getting their crystals in canon etc, it's more down to their connection with the force than their actual powers. The exception to that is the KOTOR games, but to be fair, if there wasn't a good amount of fighting involved it'd be a pretty boring game. :P

@Rabobankrider has made his call and I'm fine with that. It's all subjective and GM's call, even closer to the prequel movies in time. 4000 odd years before that, even more so...

Would being a Chiss be wierd? I was looking at the races I could play and realized EOTE published rules for them.

Since I think my question got lost in a pedantic argument, I'll repeat. Will we have the Mentor discount on Force powers at Character Creation, or just after we have hit phase 2 of the campaign? It's kind of significant given how expensive the power I have in mind is.

I don't think so, at this point it'd be a very rare species, but it's possible. Chiss tech has been seen during the time period of the KOTOR 2 games, so I don't really have a problem with it. Expect a lot of funny looks though! :P

For the character creation I will say yes. Assuming you're all following the Jedi order and not an alternate force based order (although even they would have mentors), you would be under the tutelage of someone or other.

For phase two that will really depend on how much time you guys spend in the field compared to back at the temple of with a master.

K

I look forward to seeing everyone's characters! If anyone is considering basic equipment, I'm going to steal from one of @Kymrel 's characters and say you all get this gear to begin.

Concealing Robes [Enc 1, 0 when worn)
Jedi Utility Belt [Enc +1]
- Lightsaber [Enc 1]
- Food Capsules (3days) [Enc 0]
- Emergency Medpack [Enc 1]
- Jedi Multi-Tool [Enc 2]
- A slim Glow Rod [Enc 1]
- Comlink [Enc 0]
- Aquata Breather [Enc 0]

Obviously if you're going down a specialized role, you'll probably want some other gear, or to swap the robes with armoured ones, so let me know and I'll take a look! :)

Here's my sheet. I left out his background for after the Mando War and Pre Sith War, mainly because some details might shift as we play out the crystal stuff.

Let me know if you need me to tweak anything or whatever.

http://swsheets.com/c/ss7cfnb8c-gaze-eeboh

Edited by KungFuFerret

Is that a play on gazebo? because I approve.

5 minutes ago, Rabobankrider said:

Is that a play on gazebo? because I approve.

Yes, yes it is

Allow me to present: Gunda Poot, a Dug Seeker (Ataru Striker)

I just finished the background and am too tired to proofread it, but the basic info is all there.

Gotta say guys, loving the names, Gazebo and Poot are all great starts! :D

I love the picture, wanted to play a Dug Jedi for a while now ;)

I made myself a Dug bomb maker for another campaign at one point, gave him 4 brawn and knuckle dusters, it was a lot of fun.

Hey Rabo, could I play a Ryn? There's no official stats but i worked something out with a friend of mine for a campaign a while back.

Sure, if you could list the starting conditions you thought up for it on your sheet, I'll give it a look over. I'm sure it'll be fine though.

I'll be making a character later, my head's been giving me lots of grief today.

No worries, there's no rush at this moment.