Fiction Library

By Manchu, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

6 hours ago, Mon no Oni said:

But it would still be Winter in both places, even if it harsher on the Dragon mountains than on the Islands....

You do realise seasons can last longer in certain places, right? Like, winter in the Dragon mountains could be a longer season than around Toshi Ranbo because it's colder up there in general. So while everyone else has experienced spring for a month or so, the Dragon might be seeing the first thaw.

2 hours ago, Mangod said:

You do realise seasons can last longer in certain places, right? Like, winter in the Dragon mountains could be a longer season than around Toshi Ranbo because it's colder up there in general. So while everyone else has experienced spring for a month or so, the Dragon might be seeing the first thaw.

In an advanced enough society as the Rokugani, with its calendar and the recording of the passage of time, seasons last the amount of time specified in said calendar, without regards to the climate in that date.

Like, I live in the Canary Islands, in Lanzarote, an island dubbed as “The eternal spring island”. We don’t have snow, we can be in winter and be at 20C degrees and wearing T-shirts... but come December 21, we’re in winter, officially, because that’s when the calendar says Winter starts here.

35 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

In an advanced enough society as the Rokugani, with its calendar and the recording of the passage of time, seasons last the amount of time specified in said calendar, without regards to the climate in that date.

People are perfectly capable of both having a strict calendar and talking about seasons in ways that fit their local climate. Otherwise I wouldn't know a song about how summers in Texas (where I grew up) are "seven months in length."

On 03/04/2018 at 9:12 PM, Kinzen said:

It's a fine line between Isawa no 上 and Isawa no 神 . . .

(Both of those characters can be pronounced "kami." The first one means "upper" and can be used as an honorific; the second means "spirit/god.")

I'm not even sure folks actually say Isawa no Kami, as he wasn't one per se, that's why he could be a thunder.

He is probably venerated as a blessed ancestor, a Shiryo, more than a Kami.

I think if the seven thunders have ascended, it's to yomi more than Tengoku.

I might be wrong though.

if someone as previous Eds reference to point.

2 hours ago, Kinzen said:

People are perfectly capable of both having a strict calendar and talking about seasons in ways that fit their local climate. Otherwise I wouldn't know a song about how summers in Texas (where I grew up) are "seven months in length."

In the Shadowlands there is only one season........

KILLING SEASON!!!!!

Too much?

Also weird coincidence about Texas,

All my ex's live there.

6 hours ago, Mangod said:

I'd rather apply the principle of... er... Kitsuki's Tanto? The simpler explanation is likely the most accurate. It is easier to regard that the fiction editors fudged a little with the order of stories to hide the fact that Hojimitsu was dead, that Rokugan is now so huge that it's summer on Otosan Uchi while it's still winter on Phoenix lands. ;)

2 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

In the Shadowlands there is only one season........

KILLING SEASON!!!!!

Too much?

We know that isn't true. Twenty Goblin Winter means there is five months of winter. The other seven months are tetsubo practice.

Edited by DarkHorse
3 hours ago, Nitenman said:

You mean six. One is just resting. ;)

3 hours ago, Nitenman said:

I'm not even sure folks actually say Isawa no Kami, as he wasn't one per se, that's why he could be a thunder.

He is probably venerated as a blessed ancestor, a Shiryo, more than a Kami.

I might be wrong though.

if someone as previous Eds reference to point.

"Kami" in the 上 sense is an honorific along the lines of "sama" or "dono" -- in fact, we've been using the honorific "ue" in some of the fictions, which is just a different pronunciation of 上. So there's no reason it couldn't be used for Isawa or any of the other Thunders. Furthermore, FFG is taking a much broader (and accurate-to-Japan) approach to the term "kami" in the 神 sense, so that it means not just the little atomic elemental kami + the children of the Sun and the Moon, but basically any honored spiritual power -- which can include ancestors. (There are numerous examples in Shinto of dead people being enshrined as 神 kami.)

But in the end, the actual point I was making was just a linguistic joke about Isawa arrogance. :-) "Blasphemy? How dare you accuse me of that? Clearly I was saying Isawa no 上, not Isawa no 神 -- of course I know he wasn't the equal of the divine Shiba. Even though Shiba knelt to him errrr, nothing, don't mind me."

19 hours ago, Mon no Oni said:

But it would still be Winter in both places, even if it harsher on the Dragon mountains than on the Islands....

Ehhhhhh.... take it from the Alaskan... not necessarily.

Oh, a calendar printed in Ohio may inform us about the "first day of Spring" being the Vernal equinox... but that's not really spring, not to us.

In Alaska, winter is late October through March, spring is composed entirely of April through May, June through mid-August is summer, and autumn is the second half of August through the first week of October.

For comparison, in Indiana, where I spent several years after college, the breakdown is rather different- Winter is basically late November through February, spring is March through mid-May, Summer is mid-May through the first week of September, and Autumn is the second week of September through early November.

Latitude matters.

Sitting in Ohio in 30F weather with snow on the ground right now... Sounds like our winter runs later than the Alaska winter.

On 4/17/2018 at 4:45 AM, dbmeboy said:

Sitting in Ohio in 30F weather with snow on the ground right now... Sounds like our winter runs later than the Alaska winter.

Well... our spring still involves snow, it just also has longer daylight hours and temperatures that nose above freezing...

This just may be a me thing but...

I am terrible with names. I am a face person.

Would there be any possible way to get a "character link" or something to make it easier to know who is who? I mean google is a thing and it's not a big deal but it may be helpful for people if there was a link to an image of the person for the "appearance" characters.

Again, its a me thing but starting out for someone to try to get into the fiction and story it could help.

Updated at last.

Updated.

When it rains, it pours - another update.

Thanks for keeping this updated!

@Vutall I hope it's useful!

Updated.

Edited by Manchu

I just noticed that for "Gaze Into Darkness" you mention an appearance by Kuni Mokuna. You might want to add "by reference", like you have for other listings, just to make it clear Mokuna doesn't actually put in an appearance.

Great work on this, by the way. I actually make pretty extensive use of this "Fiction Library" list, and the related "Imperial Census", while writing, and I know at least a few of the other writers do, too. Thanks to you guys for maintaining these resources!

Thank you for the correction.

Updating this thread is truly my pleasure. Ikoma himself felt that duty and enjoyment could go hand in hand. I hope folks at FFG see this and Tonbo Karasu's work as a vote of full confidence in our L5R authors.

22 minutes ago, Manchu said:

Thank you for the correction.

Updating this thread is truly my pleasure. Ikoma himself felt that duty and enjoyment could go hand in hand. I hope folks at FFG see this and Tonbo Karasu's work as a vote of full confidence in our L5R authors.

Yeah, just gonna toss this out there- I have been absolutely thrilled with the handling of the story thus far. Some intro fictions were kinda rough, but since then? Firing on all cylinders.

And another update!

Updated!

On 9/13/2017 at 4:49 AM, BayushiCroy said:

I suppose just to ask and double check, you are aware of Kaze no Shiro , yes?

I find Kaze no Shiro to do the reader a disservice by not contextualizing the stories and content. Plus, there seems to be a lot of useless information like the text of the advertisements instead of the story itself. I appreciate their end goal, though.

Updated~