Fiction Library

By Manchu, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

OK can someone help me with this.

I'm planning on printing all the pdfs into a folder before I read them.

The fictions in the pdfs are laid out different to the ones in the packs.

I plan on editing all the printed pages into the same format as rhe pdfs

I've got a friend typing them out for me so I can copy and paste the text into the pdfs without having to read it.

OK so can anybody tell me if the stories are neutral or clan based so I can use the same backgrounds as the ones online

Blind Ambition
A Difference Of Lanterns
Family Duty
Court Games
The Bright Flame of the World's Glory
Fireflies

Tempests and Tides
Gaze Into Darkness
Awakened
Dreams of Shadow
Snow and Sun
A Swift End

Thanks

33 minutes ago, Maffster said:

OK can someone help me with this.

I'm planning on printing all the pdfs into a folder before I read them.

The fictions in the pdfs are laid out different to the ones in the packs.

I plan on editing all the printed pages into the same format as rhe pdfs

I've got a friend typing them out for me so I can copy and paste the text into the pdfs without having to read it.

OK so can anybody tell me if the stories are neutral or clan based so I can use the same backgrounds as the ones online

Blind Ambition
A Difference Of Lanterns
Family Duty
Court Games
The Bright Flame of the World's Glory
Fireflies

Tempests and Tides
Gaze Into Darkness
Awakened
Dreams of Shadow
Snow and Sun
A Swift End

Thanks

This is my opinion - Main (related)

Blind Ambition - Scorpion
A Difference Of Lanterns - Crab (Crane, Mantis)
Family Duty - Unicorn (Lion)
Court Games - Crane (Lion, Scorpion, Unicorn)
The Bright Flame of the World's Glory - Lion / Scorpion
Fireflies - Lion (Phoenix)

Tempests and Tides - Crane / Mantis
Gaze Into Darkness - Crab
Awakened - Unicorn / Crab / Naga
Dreams of Shadow - Phoenix / Scorpion
Snow and Sun - Dragon / Scorpion
A Swift End - Lion / Unicorn

Excellent.

That helps a lot

@Maffster

Hey, if you’re making the inserts (the fictions that comes with the packs) into PDFs, could you please share them here once you’re done?

I’m sure a lot of people will appreciate it.

I've already done the 2 fictions from the rulebook.

I used neutral background

I'll add links on a few hours when I finish work

@Maffster Very nice! I'm glad someone is finally getting around to doing this. I've been meaning to do it myself, but somehow never seem to find the time to actually work on it. So huge kudos to you (and your typing friend!) for putting in the time to get it done.

Deleted

Edited by Maffster
Poor quality link
27 minutes ago, Maffster said:

Next
A Difference Of Lanterns
Crab Background or neutral?

Definitely Crab, the point of view and protagonist is Taka.

35 minutes ago, Maffster said:

Just finished
Blind ambition
I'm not proof reading these until I have them all printed. probably not the best idea but I just want to have them all printed uniformly in a folder

Heres the link

http://www.filedropper.com/20blind-ambition
Scorpion background
If there are any mistakes or typos please point them out

Next
A Difference Of Lanterns
Crab Background or neutral?

Thanks for taking this on!

That said, in Blind Ambition (which I'm using as the example here, because I'm most immediately familiar with it) there are a fair number of errors in the PDF text. I don't have the time to identify and list them all, unfortunately. Some are fairly obvious (e.g. Toshi Ranbo frequently ends up as Toshi aanbo .) I'd suggest sitting down and comparing the text in the PDF to the original document from the Dynasty Pack, and finding where errors in formatting and spelling occur. That's kinda laborious, I realize, and again note that you're doing this essentially as a labor of love (for which, I again, commend and thank you!) but I'm assuming you'd like these PDFs to be as faithful to the original story as possible!

I feared this would happen

Blind Ambition and a difference of lanterns were already typed out in a compilation pdfs I found online.

I just copied and pasted the text to into the pdf.

My plan was to print the pdfs into a folder and sit down and read them after.

Judging by the last comment I'm going to need a new plan. Doing this and trying not to read anything to avoid spoilers isn't going to work. Probably best idea will be to read the everything first then set about my mission of turning them into pdf

Hopefully my friend will do better at the typing.

However

An empire in turmoil and A season of war should be fine as I copied the text straight out of the rulebook.

I'll redo

Blind Ambition

However there's going to be a delay until I read everything first.

Hi

I'm currently reading through everything before I start my task of converting the fiction pack inserts into pdf.

I'm on smokeless fire

Page 3 last paragraph

"Keade found the the emperor"

I'm guessing this is a typo in the official pdf.

Has anybody noticed any others in any of the other fictions.?

Ive corrected this one in my pdf.

Might as well try and go for perfection

Despite our best efforts, typos and things do sneak through. Sometimes they're introduced during the editing/revising process. But it's not unusual; it's rare not to find the odd typo or other error even in books from major publishers. It's part of the charm!

35 minutes ago, DGLaderoute said:

Despite our best efforts, typos and things do sneak through. Sometimes they're introduced during the editing/revising process. But it's not unusual; it's rare not to find the odd typo or other error even in books from major publishers. It's part of the charm!

In a published book it's impossible to correct

However in a pdf it only takes a few minutes to fix.

I disagree that there is any charm. When I'm reading the text the words disappear and I'm lost in the story. A typo is like a slap that brings me back to reality as my brain tries to sort out what just happened

It's like the great Dia Vernon said.

"Only mistakes stand out"

A wall filled with white tiles with a black one.

A deck of cards where one is half a millimetre longer than the others.

Perfection is invisible haha

Oh and let me rant further.

The pdfs are in the nonsense us letter ratio 8.5 by 11 inch, which means for the rest of the sensible world that uses A4 and trying to print them borderless it needs to be stretched to fit.

I've got a large ring Binder that I intend to fill with all the fictions in order, I've had artwork printed from my local shop for the spine and cover

I've filed all the fictions from the packs already (again 8.5 by 11)

In my persuit of perfection I've ordered a ream of letter sized paper so I can print everything without stretching.

As for the novela I'm going to print a full page of the cover and put it in its correct place so I know when to break from my folder and read the book.

I also notice that there are two "empire in turmoils" the one from the rulebook is different from the one at the start of the first scroll.

Ive only been collecting the FFG game in the last 4 weeks, I'm coming at this from reading the 12 novels probably 15 years ago and a couple of months ago it occurred to me to Google if any more novels had been released. I then went on a mad Google search for a few days and learnt of the FFG take over and the LCG format.

Next thing I'm in my local game shop and buying 3 core sets and all 13 expansions then of course it all needs filing into binders by clans and organising so I bought 8 binders and had artwork printed oh then of coarse I need a shelf to store the binders (storage for the storage lol) I'm massively over my indented budget I had initialy planned but such is life.

Only Played twice then 2 days later I'm in a tounament and came 18th out of 19 but what great fun I had.

Been so busy getting everything and storing everything in my OCD ways I haven't had time yet to sit down properly and enjoy going through everything but I've got some time off work very soon so hope to get fully up to speed then.

Perfection is great, but in the end everything falls under the constraints of time and budget. If you think those are bad, watch out for FFG's online articles... they're far more prone to typos and worse, actual misinformation from the article writer not fully understanding the rules for the games they're writing about.

Your point about letter size pages is a bit petty though, a US company is going to use US standards. I could see a different page size for actual ebooks, but these are just basic PDFs. I send dozens of documents internationally every day for my job, and every single one is US letter sized pages.

Haha

My point about us letter size is that the ratio is based on the width of a man's outstretched hands

A4 is based on the square root of 2 meaning halving and the paper doubling the paper doesn't effect the ratio.

Also

A0 Is meter square of paper.

I'm not saying US letter size is logical, only that it's so ingrained in US business and economic structures that it's a little silly to expect a small company like FFG to adopt international standards that are outside their geographical norm when even big fortune 500 companies refuse to do so. :P

Yeah I know you're right.

My displeasure with the letter size paper came with my paper airplane obsseion.

Not all planes work with a different ratio.

Little things upset me sooooo much

deleted
I found a formatting error
Edited by Maffster

Edited by Maffster
OK after a few failures I think i'm happy at last.
I hope this is version is now mistake free
please point out any errors you may find
1 down 11 to go
Blind Ambition pdf update

Pdf version of
A Diference of Lanterns
2 down 10 to go
Let me know if you find any errors
https://bit.ly/2psNUm6

Thanks @Maffster for putting in what sounds like a lot of work. However, I can't view either of them. It may be because I don't really do facebook.