Fiction Library

By Manchu, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

I've linked your thread from the Census.

I have also linked your work in the OP here. Thank you for all your efforts!

Shiba Tsukune also appears in "Service and Sacrifice."

@ElSuave Thank you kindly - OP updated!

@Shiba Gunichi Thank you for this correction.

Very nice compilation. If I may make a suggestion, for the fiction pieces from the Learn to Play booklet, I would recommend setting the published date as August 3, 2017. That is the official date the electronic copy that you link to was made publicly available.

@Zesu Shadaban I adopted your suggestion (thank you!) but retained the current order because it still makes sense in terms of reading order.

i didnt read much of the o5r fictions, but i wanna read these ones, are these in the order in which i should start them?

@yujufrazer

Mostly, these are in order of release. The exception would be the first two pieces, which were published a bit later than some of the others. However, they are from the core set and give a quick introduction to the tensions between the Crane and Lion. I personally think this order of reading is the best currently possible.

@Manchu

Awesome thank you :)

Heads up for subscribers to this thread and OP, I have collated all published fiction, including the two Imperial Cycle dynasty packs we have currently had (yes, I typed them up!), into ebook and pdf formats for ease of use:-

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/263463-l5r-fiction-ebooks-including-dynasty-packs/

Might be an idea to link in this initial OP post, perhaps? Will be keeping them updated, and as such, will update the attachments and thread, as/when required.

Updated. I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

Updated.

Updated yet again - lots of new fiction lately!

We seem to be getting double doses- FFG releases a "site" fiction right around when some lucky soul gets their hands on the next pack's fiction.

I am far from displeased by this.

Looks like "The Fires of Justice" is missing from your list.

Many thanks, @Kinzen -sama. This error has been corrected.

Also: updated to include two other new entries.

On 9/12/2017 at 2:28 PM, Manchu said:

he Bright Flame of the World's Glory

• by Nancy M. Sauer
  • Published with the Fate Has No Secrets Dynasty Pack
  • appearances: Akodo-no-kami (by reference), Akodo Toturi, Agasha Sumiko (the Ruby Champion), Amaterasu-no-kami (by reference), Bayushi Aramoro, Bayushi Kachiko (by reference), Bayushi Shjou (by reference), Bayushi Yojiro, Doji Satsume (by reference), Doji Hotari, Hantei XXXVIII, Ikoma Anakazu (by reference), Ikoma Ujiaki, Isawa Kaede, Kakita Toshimoko, Matsu Mitsuko (by reference), Matsu Tsuko (by reference), Miya Satoshi (by reference), Shinjo Altansarnai (by reference)
  • Synopsis: Lion and Scorpion face off in the final duel of the Emerald Tournament.

Honor, Duty, Loyalty

• by Mari Murdock
  • Published 2017/12/06
  • appearances: Bayushi Aramoro (by reference), Bayushi Goshiu (by reference), Bayushi Kachiko, Bayuhsi Mikuru, Bayushi Shoju (by reference), Bayushi Yojiro, Doji Satsume (by reference), Hantei XXXVIII (by reference), Kakita Yuri (by reference), Shosuro Hatsuko
  • For a Scorpion Magistrate, balancing one's loyalties is a complicated and dangerous matter.

The order on these two should be flipped as the Story was leaked before the pack was officially released. Also type on the title should be "The"

Thank you for pointing out the typo, I corrected it.

As for the sequence: I curate the library with default preference to publication date but am ultimately interested in best reading order. In this case, I got to read Bright Flame before Honor, Duty, Loyalty by chance. It turns out, at least in my opinion, that this is a better sequence because Bright Flame introduces Yojiro from Toturi's POV, where Yojiro's motive are ambiguous. I think the reader not knowing what Yojiro is up to creates a more interesting story than the dramatic irony of the reader knowing but Toturi not knowing. So, while someone else had already mentioned in another thread that Honor, Duty, Loyalty was supposed to be published first, I retained the order I read them in.

I definitely agree, I feel like the intended reading order would reduce the suspense and mystery in the duel.

1 hour ago, Manchu said:

Thank you for pointing out the typo, I corrected it.

As for the sequence: I curate the library with default preference to publication date but am ultimately interested in best reading order. In this case, I got to read Bright Flame before Honor, Duty, Loyalty by chance. It turns out, at least in my opinion, that this is a better sequence because Bright Flame introduces Yojiro from Toturi's POV, where Yojiro's motive are ambiguous. I think the reader not knowing what Yojiro is up to creates a more interesting story than the dramatic irony of the reader knowing but Toturi not knowing. So, while someone else had already mentioned in another thread that Honor, Duty, Loyalty was supposed to be published first, I retained the order I read them in.

25 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

I definitely agree, I feel like the intended reading order would reduce the suspense and mystery in the duel.

i do and don't agree with this, it creates a different tension, will Toturi put the hints together, will he even believe Yojiro who we as the readers know is telling the truth or will his natural distrust of Scorpions win out and cost him everything.

But, as I said earlier, the expected release order from FFG was Honor, Duty, Loyalty which came out on Wednesday, the "sequel" to it The Bright Flame of the World's Glory would have released today, and the only reason we have the alternate order is that the packs shipped a little early to some folks with pre-orders. I'd still respect the intended order that FFG wanted the stories read in. Maybe add a line as a suggested reading order at the end ot Honor, Duty, Loyalty that it be read after to add an additional layer or mystery.

Edited by Schmoozies

I want to thank who created this post.

Great material resource all in one topic. Thanks man!

updated

Thank you @ElSuave