Fiction Library

By Manchu, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

7 hours ago, ElSuave said:

Thank you very much! As a guy who only can get the pack fictions through people who scan it, I owe you big!

Two typos described in bold and underlined .

Curved Blades

• by Ree Soesbee
  • published 2017/08/02
  • appearances: Ikoma (nee Asak O ) Akari, Ikoma Anakazu (by reference), Iuchi Daiyu, Shinjo Altansarnai, Shinjo Haruko, Shinjo Shono, Shinjo Yasamura, Utaku K a moko
  • Synopsis: The Unicorn Clan Champion must weigh the future of her clan, as well as her own fate, now that her people have returned to Rokugan.

Missed Hiruma Kenjirō, Shizuyo's son, who had become a Hyakuhei after he died in the Shadowlands.

Better To Be Certain

• by Robert Denton III
  • published 2017/10/31
  • appearances: Hida Tsuru, Hiruma Shizuyo, Hiruma Kenjirō
  • Synopsis: A lone Crab faces horror and doubt in the Shadowlands.
2 hours ago, Oni no Pikachu said:

Missed Hiruma Kenjirō, Shizuyo's son, who had become a Hyakuhei after he died in the Shadowlands.

We don’t know if he really became a Hyakuhei. That’s the whole point of the fiction.

Edited by Tabris2k

Another missing, Isawa Tsuke was named on the fiction.

Risen From The Flames

• by Robert Denton III
  • published 2017/07/19
  • appearances: Elemental Master of Air (unnamed), Isawa Tsuke (Elemental Master of Fire), Elemental Master of Water (unnamed), Isawa Rujo (Elemental Master of Earth), Isawa Tadaka, Isawa Ujina (Elemental Master of Void), Shiba no Kami (by reference), Shiba Sukazu, Shiba Tetsu, Shiba Tsukune, Shiba Ujimitsu (vision)
  • Synopsis: The Phoenix Clan gathers to choose a new Champion when a shrine ominously catches fire.

Missed Hiruma Yukino, engaged with Hiruma Kenjirō.

Better To Be Certain

• by Robert Denton III
  • published 2017/10/31
  • appearances: Hida Tsuru, Hiruma Shizuyo, Hiruma Kenjirō , Hiruma Yukino
  • Synopsis: A lone Crab faces horror and doubt in the Shadowlands.

Missed Isawa Ninube, Ujina's wife, mother to Kaede

Smokeless Fire

• by Katrina Ostrander
  • published 2017/08/10
  • appearances: Akodo Toturi (by reference), Agasha Sumiko (Ruby Champion), Hantei Sotorii, Isawa Atsuko, Isawa Kaede, Isawa Nobu, Isawa Ujina (by reference), Kitsuki Yaruma, Seppun Ishikawa, Isawa Ninube (by reference)
  • Synopsis: Phoenix shugenja warn the Emperor that meishodo, foreign sorcery the Unicorn carried back to Rokugan, endangers the Empire.

Thank you for this correction!

Manchu-san, I applaud your efforts in cataloging this Ikoma Library of our new Rokugani stories!

updated~

deleted by poster

Edited by tenchi2a

you forgot the heading for "Honor, Loyalty, Duty".

updated

On 12/9/2017 at 8:28 PM, Manchu said:
  • appearances: Isawa no kami (by refrence),

I guess you meant Isawa and Shiba no kami

16 hours ago, Mon no Oni said:

I guess you meant Isawa and Shiba no kami

What are you talking about? I'm sure the Isawa Phoenix histories will tell you that the clan was founded by Isawa no kami. :-D

2 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

What are you talking about? I'm sure the Isawa Phoenix histories will tell you that the clan was founded by Isawa no kami. :-D

It's a fine line between Isawa no 上 and Isawa no 神 . . .

(Both of those characters can be pronounced "kami." The first one means "upper" and can be used as an honorific; the second means "spirit/god.")

Updated with link to The First Scroll.

Interestingly, the reading order in the First Scroll matches order of publication up through Curved Blades. Then things get re-sorted:

• The World, A Stage (published 2017/8/16)
  • A Season of War (from the Learn to Play booklet in the Core Set)
  • In the Garden of Lies (Part 1 published 2017/9/6, Part 2 published 2017/9/20)
  • To the South (Part 1 published 2017/10/6, Part 2 published 2017/10/18)
  • Smokeless Fire (published 2017/8/10)
  • A Most Suitable Teacher (published 2017/8/18)

The change appears to be a result of pairing the story that set up the GenCon '17 story decision with its outcome.

On 11/04/2018 at 9:40 PM, Manchu said:

Updated with link to The First Scroll.

Interestingly, the reading order in the First Scroll matches order of publication up through Curved Blades. Then things get re-sorted:

• The World, A Stage (published 2017/8/16)
  • A Season of War (from the Learn to Play booklet in the Core Set)
  • In the Garden of Lies (Part 1 published 2017/9/6, Part 2 published 2017/9/20)
  • To the South (Part 1 published 2017/10/6, Part 2 published 2017/10/18)
  • Smokeless Fire (published 2017/8/10)
  • A Most Suitable Teacher (published 2017/8/18)

The change appears to be a result of pairing the story that set up the GenCon '17 story decision with its outcome.

Any chance you edit your first post with the correct reading order for new people, honorable Lion Manchu? :)

I thought about editing the OP to conform to the First Scroll but decided on just posting a link to the First Scroll at the top of the page instead (and that's where I will add links to the Second Scroll. and so on). For now, I will keep the existing order (in all but one case by publication date, as far as I can tell) - let's see how/whether FFG decides to compile the fiction - especially the pieces packaged with expansion packs.

Edited by Manchu

So, now that we have the First Scroll I was trying to put together a calendar of events of sorts, and I find I cannot make them match.

Her Father's Daughter happens "late spring". I take this would be June-ish. (I'm not using Rokugani months to make it simpler).

The events on The Price of War happen "some weeks later". This would be 2-3 weeks, so late June-early July.

Then, The Rising Wave happens "meanwhile, in the northernmost mountains of Rokugan". This is where it falls apart, because the text says "the winter had been a harsh one" and it's "early on the season". I take this to mean "early spring", so that would be late March or early April. Then, it goes on with "so early after the equinox", which would be consistent with the early spring bit, but would place the story well before HFD and TPoW.

Dark Hands of Heaven is another "meanwhile" story, and I was unable to find any seasonal indications. Yasuki Taka on Otosan Uchi is referenced.

Risen from the Flames happens "a week later" and the "spring warm" is mentioned, so it is consistent with The Rising Wave but not with the rest.

Curved Blades ("Far to the West") has no seasonal indications or references to major events,

The World, a Stage: another "meanwhile". No seasonal indicators that I could find, but Satsume's death is referenced.

A Season of War , if there were seasonal references, I missed them. However, Satsume's death is mentioned, but not Arasou's.

In the Garden of Lies, spring.

To the South no seasonal indicators, no reference to current events.

Smokeless Fire . Chrysanthemum festival was held on the first month of summer on old canon

A Most Suitable Teacher no seasonal indicators, follow-up to Smokeless Fire.

So, it seems to me that despite some "meanwhile" text, some of these stories are out of order. We have a main sequence of late spring to summer stories. then another of early spring stories that would actually go before that.

Edited by Mon no Oni

It has probably gotten a little fuzzy along the way. We're given general guidelines for when stories should take place, but there are lots of factors which make that less than precise: maybe one person thinks of spring beginning on the equinox and says "mid-spring" for a story in late April, while somebody else thinks of the season as beginning with April and says "early spring" for a story at the same time. Or the Story Team winds up rearranging the release order for one reason or another. In general, I'd say what matters is the relative ordering of connected events, more than the precise date stamp for each one.

10 hours ago, Mon no Oni said:

So, now that we have the First Scroll I was trying to put together a calendar of events of sorts, and I find I cannot make them match.

Her Father's Daughter happens "late spring". I take this would be June-ish. (I'm not using Rokugani months to make it simpler).

The events on The Price of War happen "some weeks later". This would be 2-3 weeks, so late June-early June.

Then, The Rising Wave happens "meanwhile, in the northernmost mountains of Rokugan". This is where it falls apart, because the text says "the winter had been a harsh one" and it's "early on the season". I take this to mean "early spring", so that would be late March or early April. Then, it goes on with "so early after the equinox", which would be consistent with the early spring bit, but would place the story well before HFD and TPoW.

Dark Hands of Heaven is another "meanwhile" story, and I was unable to find any seasonal indications. Yasuki Taka on Otosan Uchi is referenced.

Risen from the Flames happens "a week later" and the "spring warm" is mentioned, so it is consistent with The Rising Wave but not with the rest.

Curved Blades ("Far to the West") has no seasonal indications or references to major events,

The World, a Stage: another "meanwhile". No seasonal indicators that I could find, but Satsume's death is referenced.

A Season of War , if there were seasonal references, I missed them. However, Satsume's death is mentioned, but not Arasou's.

In the Garden of Lies, spring.

To the South no seasonal indicators, no reference to current events.

Smokeless Fire . Chrysanthemum festival was held on the first month of summer on old canon

A Most Suitable Teacher no seasonal indicators, follow-up to Smokeless Fire.

So, it seems to me that despite some "meanwhile" text, some of these stories are out of order. We have a main sequence of late spring to summer stories. then another of early spring stories that would actually go before that.

Well, seasons aren't necessarily the same across the Empire. For the Dragon, "early spring" is what the Crane would consider to be "winter", because the Dragon lands are a colder and harsher climate in general.

Like Sweden VS Britain; the 2009 February snowfall that caused so much trouble for the Brits would barely be considered a nuisance up here.

46 minutes ago, Mangod said:

Like Sweden VS Britain; the 2009 February snowfall that caused so much trouble for the Brits would barely be considered a nuisance up here.

But it would still be Winter in both places, even if it harsher on the Dragon mountains than on the Islands.... I think it's more likely it what Kinzen says, the editors switched the publishing order for whatever reasons (probably to hide the switch-over from Ujimitsu to Tsukune, which was used as a plot twist). In any case, the point is the "meanwhile" tags are sometimes misleading, put there after-the-fact by the editors, and we shouldn't take them for granted. In fact, the seasonal indicators are less important (while more definite) that the mention (or lack thereof) of current events, like the deaths of Champions. For instance, A Season of War (rulebook story) makes more sense if it happens before the death of Akodo Arasou in The Price of War .

So, we have this line of events:

Early Spring - TRW (Ujimitsu is still Champion)

Death of Ujimitsu

Spring - TftF

Death of Satsume (June) - HFD happens a few days later, a week at most)

a few days later, Hotaru arrives to Otosan Uchi, it's late spring

ASoW - "summer grew near" (so late spring, but Arasou has not been killed)

Death of Arasou (2-3 weeks after HFD) - This would be late June, early July

SF - "summer heat" "Chrysanthemum Festival"

Edited by Mon no Oni
12 minutes ago, Mon no Oni said:

I think it's more likely it what Kinzen says, the editors switched the publishing order for whatever reasons (probably to hide the switch-over from Ujimitsu to Tsukune, which was used as a plot twist).

Er, no -- I did not say that. I said it's possible the editors have fiddled with the precise ordering on some occasion, but I have no idea whether they did so in this instance or any other. Really, if I had to guess (and this *is* a guess), I'd say they probably decide release order for all the fictions in a given batch based on criteria like "make sure we don't focus too much on one corner of the world or one type of conflict at a time" or "does this have some connection to the cards in pack?," and only worry about their temporal relationship to one another when it's directly relevant (i.e. no stories post-Arasou's death before the story where Arasou dies).

Honestly, it would suck to try and nail everything down to exact chronological sequence. I have to deal with timing questions like that in my novels, and it's always a giant pain in the neck; I can only imagine how much more obnoxious it would be for something like this. Especially since it's all being assembled out of smaller pieces and the editors don't get to go back and revise: to pick an example from my current book draft, if I realize it would be good to establish that a certain character has been asked to do something nefarious before that nefarious thing gets revealed, I can add that scene in before the book gets printed. But if FFG decides they want to show something with Hotaru that would have happened before "The Bright Flame of the World's Glory," the only thing they can do is release a story that takes place outside chronological order, signpost to you roughly when it happened, and move on.

6 hours ago, Mon no Oni said:

Spring - TftF

What’s TftF?