Fiction Library

By Manchu, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

10 hours ago, Maffster said:

Just finished the book.

Thanks for the heads up about the epilogue. That was the perfect order to read the events.

Why oh why are they releasing the story in such a jigsaw fashion?

I'm not sure if that's an FFG decision or a Robert Denton III decision. I'm sure he would reply on twitter if you ask him.

I’d say is because the L5R fictions are not always “linear”, meaning that some of them happen at the same time. Also, all of them are from a single character POV, and they are bound to comment the events when they happen, or when they become aware that they had happened. It’s exactly this case with Fireflies, Repentance and the novella.

Ok I've finished turning the fictions into pdf and thought instead of randomly posting them in this thread. I would organise everything in an easy to find list and yes I've used the order that I think they should be in

I've also updated the ones I posted here so if you downloaded the ones I already posted then you should download them again.

Click Here For The list with all the Fictions converted into PDFs

Was there ever a resolution to the end of 'Specters of War'?

Or does Toturi just pop up back at Otosan Uchi in 'Tiger Stalks His Prey'?

10 minutes ago, DWRR said:

Was there ever a resolution to the end of 'Specters of War'?

Or does Toturi just pop up back at Otosan Uchi in 'Tiger Stalks His Prey'?

I think 'Tiger Stalks His Prey' skips forward the clash.

Only in the gardens was the Forbidden City quiet enough for Akodo Toturi to work through his thoughts. Thanks to a successful counteroffensive, the balance of power at Toshi Ranbo was shifting; meanwhile, the Unicorn had made their own play for Hisu Mori Mura.

Can't say for sure, but I'd guess the battle referenced in "Crane Takes Flight" that the Crane general had just lost is probably the same one as well.

Updated~

updated ~

Updated~

Where do you suggest I read Whispers of Shadow and Steel, as I'm about to catch up on fiction from the last few months? (Last thing I read was Tiger Stalks His Prey) Are there any shenanigans to be aware of, like with the epilogue of The Sword and the Spirits vs Repentance Does Not Come First?

Also, where should I read the seven 2018 Winter Court Letters?

53 minutes ago, Agasha Kanetake said:

Where do you suggest I read Whispers of Shadow and Steel, as I'm about to catch up on fiction from the last few months? (Last thing I read was Tiger Stalks His Prey) Are there any shenanigans to be aware of, like with the epilogue of The Sword and the Spirits vs Repentance Does Not Come First?

Also, where should I read the seven 2018 Winter Court Letters?

Winter Court letters are all posted on the FFG product page for the LCG. For Scorpion novella, afaik the only source to read aside from a physical copy is the pdf on drivethrufiction.com which is currently on sale for only $3.99. FYI though, the pdf version doesn't include the additional gloss page lore material in the back of the physical book.

Read at least up through A Simple Test before the Scorpion Novella.

The letters can be read after Tiger Stalks His Prey .

1 hour ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Winter Court letters are all posted on the FFG product page for the LCG. For Scorpion novella, afaik the only source to read aside from a physical copy is the pdf on drivethrufiction.com which is currently on sale for only $3.99. FYI though, the pdf version doesn't include the additional gloss page lore material in the back of the physical book.

Sorry Kikaze for the confusion, I shouldn't have used "where", when I meant "at which point". I blame English being my second language.

Thank you Manchu for reading between the lines of my failure to express myself correctly. Your help is greatly appreciated!

In the context of a list of stories (which is how I think of questions posed in this thread), “where” is perfectly acceptable.

updated ~

You may want to note that Hantei XXXVIII also goes by the name Jodan in "Children of the Empire Part 1". When I originally wrote this, I referred to him as "the Emperor", but Katrina pointed out that, since we were in his POV (inside his head) he probably wouldn't think of himself as "the Emperor". Hantei Jodan was his name in the old lore, so we decided to stay with it.

I wrote ”Jodan” first, then tried “Hantei XXXVIII (Jodan)” but both felt too familiar to me. This is probably a detail better captured by the Imperial Census.

On 2/1/2019 at 1:37 AM, DGLaderoute said:

You may want to note that Hantei XXXVIII also goes by the name Jodan in "Children of the Empire Part 1". When I originally wrote this, I referred to him as "the Emperor", but Katrina pointed out that, since we were in his POV (inside his head) he probably wouldn't think of himself as "the Emperor". Hantei Jodan was his name in the old lore, so we decided to stay with it.

This is the kind of detail that fleshes this game out so well. Excellent detail.

updated ~

updated~

Excellent catalog, thanks!

Question: is there a set / standard release schedule for L5R fiction? I'm assuming that a series of stories got printed in with the Children of the Empire box? Will those end up online at any point? When?

Thanks!

There is no regular schedule for new fiction. Product delays, for example, cause delays in releases of web fiction.

So far, fiction packaged with dynasty packs has not been released online by FFG, including in the First Scroll compilation. For the purposes of this thread, I have relied on folks who bought those packs posting scans of the fiction.

Edited by Manchu
On 2/1/2019 at 10:37 AM, DGLaderoute said:

Thank you for giving additional information. Also, thanks for engaging with the community rather than removing oneself from all input and criticism.

I can be really harsh in some of my posts, especially if I have been drinking heavily before writing, but ultimately I realize I couldn't do any better. I just get frustrated when I see missed opportunity or when I realize that a literary tool is being used in such a way that takes me out of the setting when there are more appropriate times for it to be used, and I would want someone who is a professional and has studied and practiced the art to use their tools better.

updated ~

updated~