PbP: Jedi Quest OOC

By awayputurwpn, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

@Rakaydos @Matt Skywalker

How would you guys feel about giving @Tramp Graphics temporary control of one or both of your beginner PCs, so that they can contribute in some way towards the scene and so that he can be involved as a player?

I like that.

And I'll go next.

Just give me a sec

Cool. @Tramp Graphics , Chundarr is available for you to control, if you like, as your PC is currently incapacitated.

http://swsheets.com/c/74tmwyrqk-chundarr

Feel free to roll Initiative, either Vigilance or Cool at this point, whatever you feel is appropriate to the situation, and figure out a way to contribute to the encounter!

The slot you roll will be put into the order at the start of the next round, and you can act (out of turn) at the very end of this current round.

Edited by awayputurwpn
7 hours ago, Matt Skywalker said:

I like that.

And I'll go next.

Just give me a sec

Hey man, so in addition to rolling your Force dice, you'll need to either pick a different target or use your Brawl skill instead of Lightsaber. The group at long range is just too far away otherwise to attack with your lightsaber in one turn.

You can engage any other group with your lightsaber; either the that's engaged with Mychal'el or one of the groups at short range.

Also just want to make sure you make note of the Difficulty, 2eC+3eS to attack the stormtroopers. These are seriously hardened soldiers, elite guards for this installation.

Why??????

I can leap as a maneuver.

Your leap will get you to medium range. You still need two maneuvers to engage them from there.

Simple stuff escapes me michayal it is

Good deal. So Maa't is engaged with Mychal'el now.

What do you want to do with that 3 Advantage?

45 minutes ago, awayputurwpn said:

What do you want to do with that 3 Advantage?

If you're looking for ideas, you could poke a hole in their defenses, tying up their shields and removing their melee defense rating until the end of your next turn.

Love it

1 minute ago, Matt Skywalker said:

Love it

Done. I'll get the next NPC turn up shortly.

@Tramp Graphics it will take a full round for the turbolift to reach the lower level, so essentially it'll take Chundarr two turns to get there. Jsyk.

Let me know what you guys want Tovera to try and do (e.g. join Chundarr or try and do something on the higher level).

And then go ahead and narrate what happens in the IC thread. I'll let you know if you need to roll anything.

@Rakaydos even though Quick Strike technically doesn't apply to the situaton (the stormtroopers already acted), I'll give all that to you at the cost of 1 strain. Sound good?

Edited by awayputurwpn

Sure. Was going to take the middle init slot, but matt got there first.

Tis the give and take nature of PbP :)

Having built Matt's character, I know he's as if not more deadly without the lightsaber as he is with it, the claws are +1 (or is it +2 damage), he can get another +5 damage from martial grace, I believe he can use enhance to add his force dice to the pool, he only needs 1 advantage to crit, can use improved precision strike to get another immediate attack with the same dice pool, he can use his repulsor fist on the second attack and activate concussive to deny the storm trooper minion group a turn, and if he still has enough advantage to crit he can use regular precisión strike for discouraging wound to flip a destiny point from black to white, or spend 2 advantage for an extra maneuver so he can walk through the concussive-d storm troopers and use his regular maneuver to pick up his lightsaber. And he's got the dice pools to have a pretty good shot at pulling it off even against these elite stormtroopers.

Edited by EliasWindrider
1 hour ago, EliasWindrider said:

Having built Matt's character, he's got the dice pools to have a pretty good shot at pulling it off even against these elite stormtroopers.

You built mine too, and now I'm feeling a bit gunshy after that despair. I wouldn't mind some advice via PM.

Edited by Mychal'el

@awayputurwpn said:

// New round! 1 player gets to go. I'd recommend anyone besides Chundarr :) //

I'd like to go next but there's a lot of OCC stuff in the IC thread and I'm having trouble staying immersed.

I'd like to do a little recap from my character's perspective before my turn if I may. Would that be agreeable?

@Matt Skywalker , what does Maa't look like?

Edited by Mychal'el
6 minutes ago, Mychal'el said:

You built mine too, and now I'm gunshy after that despair.

You got a despair on a coercion check, there's a 1/12 chance of a despair if 1 challenge die is involved, 2 challenge dice were involved because these super elite stormtroopers have adversary 2. Also despair really isn't such a big deal. He used it to upgrade your next attack since there were already 2 red and no purple in the pool, that means add a purple to the next pool. I am a bit surprised at how the dice are playing out a lot of failure with a lot of advantage, when you're rolling a roughly equal number of positive and negative dice weird stuff can happen, but mat has been forgetting to ad a boost die to his lightsaber attacks from the model custom grip, check the specs on the custom grip, i'm forgetting if it's also supposed to remove a black die.... oh and if I recall correctly you have a custom grip on at least your primary lightsaber (I don't think you have one on your training saber), I believe you have paired weapons attachment on both, but I honestly wouldn't try 2 weapon fighting. By the way I believe you have improved parry which means you could spend 3 threat or 1 despair on an incoming atrack roll to deal your base damage. I'm playing a 350 earned xp consular Niman disciple martial artist, so far I have 1 force power sense and 1 force die. I perpetually leave that 1 force die committed to the sense defense double upgrade, which means that incoming melee attacks face 2 red and 2 black (2 ranks of defensive training), if you did that you'd have a much better chance of activating improved parry. That You don't need to succeed at an attack roll to deal damage with a lightsaber (and breach 1 helps a lot with that), also you can spend advantage to make minions take strain (2 strain for 2 advantage if I recall correctly) which for them is wounds because they don't have a strain threshold, you could flavor text that as a glancing blow with your lightsaber.

40 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

You got a despair on a coercion check,

I honestly wouldn't try 2 weapon fighting

I perpetually leave that 1 force die committed to the sense defense double upgrade

Yeah, it's was not a strategic gaming choice. I was trying to do some (literary) character building (not to be confused with CharGen). My motivation for playing is 99.99% narrative. It backfired last turn.

A lot of what you said just now went way over my head. But I think I understand always commiting a force die, and no actual two weapon fighting. I'll just be carrying my second saber for looks and despairs like the last one.

Edited by Mychal'el
2 hours ago, Mychal'el said:

I'd like to go next but there's a lot of OCC stuff in the IC thread and I'm having trouble staying immersed.

Yeah if we could try and keep purely out of character posts in the OOC where they belong, that would help. This thread is the place for posts that are just questions to the GM.

You can of course feel free to include clarifying questions in your IC posts, and I'll either answer those with more narration or just in OOC terms here's, whichever I feel is more appropriate.

2 hours ago, Mychal'el said:

I'd like to do a little recap from my character's perspective before my turn if I may. Would that be agreeable?

You're free to post wherever you like from your perspective! I'd suggest you put such things here and keep the narrative IC focused on what's observable, but only if that doesn't cramp your style.

If I may, it seems like @EliasWindrider has gone to great lengths to build some top notch PCs with tons of cool options, but the problem is that the players aren't really comfortable with all those options yet :) Keith has been playing this game and building characters for years now, so it's all rather straightforward to him, but for someone new coming in its like being given the keys to a helicopter and having no flight experience :)

Keith, if you're agreeable, I might suggest you do a little more coaching as to the way you see these characters' talents and powers working in a gunfight, via PM. I know they have ways of altering dice pools that aren't being utilized (removing setbacks, upgrading difficulties, etc).

(Also, just as an aside, critical injuries on these stormtroopers would just eliminate a minion from there group. There would be no rolling, so the Precison Strike talents aren't of as much help here—but Maa't has tons of other options at his disposal.)

--

The current situation is that Maa't and Mychal'el are engaged with two minion groups of troopers. One of these groups has temporarily lost their melee defense, until the end of Maa't's next turn. I would suggest that you two focus on these guys. Take the advantage.

Edited by awayputurwpn
6 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

Keith, if you're agreeable, I might suggest you do a little more coaching as to the way you see these characters' talents and powers working in a gunfight, via PM. I know they have ways of altering dice pools that aren't being utilized (removing setbacks, upgrading difficulties, etc).

(Also, just as an aside, critical injuries on these stormtroopers would just eliminate a minion from there group. There would be no rolling, so the Precison Strike talents aren't of as much help here—but Maa't has tons of other options at his disposal.)

Sure thing. I was thinking the first crit with improved precision strike was still good because it gives him an extra attack, between the 2 attacks the higher damage in addition to extra crit is a better choice, and you're right that a crit would take out a minion and that'd be a more effective use of a second crit in this case, although in my defense coordination dodge, which for the price of a destiny point add sfailure equal to ranks in coordination which are 5, essentially makes Maa't unhittable and I was thinking if he kept the pool essentially all white, no one would mind if he used coordination dodge virtually *all* of the time... I got a little too distracted by coordination dodge... my character in an in person game hasn't taken that talent yet and it's the new shiny squirrel for me.

14 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

@Tramp Graphics it will take a full round for the turbolift to reach the lower level, so essentially it'll take Chundarr two turns to get there. Jsyk.

Let me know what you guys want Tovera to try and do (e.g. join Chundarr or try and do something on the higher level).

And then go ahead and narrate what happens in the IC thread. I'll let you know if you need to roll anything.

Quick question then. What kind of handholds are in the turbolift shaft? I remembered last night after I got off line that Wookiee are. Arborial . He could just climb down the shaft.

41 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Quick question then. What kind of handholds are in the turbolift shaft? I remembered last night after I got off line that Wookiee are. Arborial . He could just climb down the shaft.

Away put your weapon is the gm so you asked the right person, but i think you asked the wrong question, I really doubt that a wookiee could climb down faster than a turbolift. Maa't essentially jumped/pakour'ed his way down the turbolift shafts and had the impossible fall talent to save him in the event that the dice failed him. I don't believe the wookiee has that talent and I wouldn't risk killing someone else's character that they let me use just to get to a combat encounter 1 round sooner. But you're playing the character and away put your weapon is the gm so in the end what I think doesn't decide anything

Edited by EliasWindrider