#L5RLive

By FFGElena, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

LORE QUESTION / DRAGON CLAN (kind-ish)

So, with the Dragon Clan comes the Kitsuki Family, whose courtiers often serve a double duty of courteous diplomats and crime-solving truth-seeking magistrates. With that in mind, could you explain to us how the Rokugan law system works and what makes Kitsuki so special in that context? What are the best outside sources (novels, historical texts) to look into when trying to "get it"? Should I look more into Shinsengumi, Judge Bao or Detective Columbo? :)

Edited by WHW
10 hours ago, WHW said:

LORE QUESTION / DRAGON CLAN (kind-ish)

So, with the Dragon Clan comes the Kitsuki Family, whose courtiers often serve a double duty of courteous diplomats and crime-solving truth-seeking magistrates. With that in mind, could you explain to us how the Rokugan law system works and what makes Kitsuki so special in that context? What are the best outside sources (novels, historical texts) to look into when trying to "get it"? Should I look more into Shinsengumi, Judge Bao or Detective Columbo? :)

http://www.kazenoshiro.com/2012/08/08/sins-of-the-father/ - Start here, try to find the rest of the story. I know Robert Denton stored a link to all the pieces somewhere.

EDIT: You can correlate the titles using the author's website - unfortunately, they link to the now-defunct AEG L5R sites, but you should be able to find them in Kaze No Shiro using this.

http://www.spookyelectriconline.com/writing/

Edited by PhoenixInferno

Shhhhhhh, I want them to spill the beans about their vision of Kitsuki and asking in a way that would allow them a newbie-friendly introduction too :P.

I am not super familiar with the books. But let me go over some of the Kitsuki as I remember it. I did read that shadow lands book with the Kitsuki chasing the face stealing dudes.

I picture a good Kitsuki asking a few silly questions before presenting their evidence. Then even if the magistrates disregards their evidence a lot of people listening would leave believing what the Kitsuki had said. A little Sherlock Holmes style.

That being said I want to build a Kitsuki dishonor deck (probably allied scorpion) finding the evidence then maybe blackmailing with it.

GENERAL DESIGN QUESTION:

What is the logic behind the max 45 card limit on decks? We are curious how this came about, if there was something you were specifically concerned about?

1 minute ago, Mirith said:

GENERAL DESIGN QUESTION:

What is the logic behind the max 45 card limit on decks? We are curious how this came about, if there was something you were specifically concerned about?

It's because there is a decking penalty! We already had this discussion on Discord! Gah!!

DRAGON CLAN/ CARD QUESTION

With Niten Adept, do bowed attachments contribute force to a conflict, assuming the character is still ready?

ANSWER: Attachments are bonuses to the character and therefore contribute while bowed.

Edited by Mirith
10 hours ago, Sparks Duh said:

It's because there is a decking penalty! We already had this discussion on Discord! Gah!!

Mirith wants to hear the game designer's opinion on the matter. It's a perfectly valid question, and there's no reason to berate him over it.

Edited by Suzume Tomonori
8 hours ago, Mirith said:

DRAGON CLAN/ CARD QUESTION

With Niten Adept, do bowed attachments contribute force to a conflict, assuming the character is still ready?

The attachment give a strength bonus to the attached character. They don't have strength per se. This should mean a bowed attachment still gives its bonus to its attached character.

DRAGON clan/ mechanics

Which abilities count as triggered abilities? Assuming that all actions can be used once per round unless otherwise specified why add Max 1 per round limitation to Yokunis ability(is it because Way of the Dragon)?

Edited by BordOne

I'll copy my question from Facebook:

Does Blackmail work with Spies at Court? So can you take control of the opponents's character, dishonor it, drain the opponent's hand and then bring this dishonored character back to its owner?

DRAGON CLAN/ MECHANICS

Togashi Kazue/Tattooed Wanderer: Does their stats affect the attached character, or are they considered a +0/+0?

ANSWER: They are considered +0/+0

Edited by Mirith

DRAGON CLAN/ CARD SPECIFIC

Kitsuki Investigator: Can you use his ability twice if you have 2 copies of him in play? How does he interact with Way of the Dragon?

ANSWER: Only once per turn across all cards per player. Same with Yokuni. Way of the Dragon does not allow you to exceed this.

Edited by Mirith

WOW, Dragon Clan is amazing! I think I found my faction! This article and fiction both bought me all in! Fantastic job!!

DRAGON CLAN / CARD SPECIFIC
Togashi Kazue! Can you use her ability to steal Fate on characters you opponent controls?

The Niten Master's ability is a reaction to attaching a weapon, and the article mentions the possibility of him participating in three conflicts by his ability alone. Does this mean that there is an action window between conflicts in which one could attach weapons and whatnot? Alternatively, does this mean that because the exact wording is "after you attach..." the reaction can be activated at any point after having done so, as in I attach the weapon during the conflict, he goes home bowed, I then activate his reaction to ready him, and now he is available for the next conflict? Or was the article simply wrong?

35 minutes ago, psychie said:

The Niten Master's ability is a reaction to attaching a weapon, and the article mentions the possibility of him participating in three conflicts by his ability alone. Does this mean that there is an action window between conflicts in which one could attach weapons and whatnot? Alternatively, does this mean that because the exact wording is "after you attach..." the reaction can be activated at any point after having done so, as in I attach the weapon during the conflict, he goes home bowed, I then activate his reaction to ready him, and now he is available for the next conflict? Or was the article simply wrong?

They already mentioned in either past #L5RLive (First one I believe) or in one of the other articles (Banzai most likely) that there is an action window between the start of the conflict phase and the first conflict, as well as between each conflict.

DRAGON CLAN / MECHANICS

Can I attach an attachment to a character who is attached as a attachment to another character? And, as an attachment to this question, do stats of the attached character buff the character they are attached to, like other attachments?

Edited by WHW

DRAGON CLAN / CHARACTERS+STORY

As white is the color associated with death in Rokugani culture, why is Mirumoto Raitsugu wearing white in his art? Is he about to commit seppuku? :(

I

36 minutes ago, PhoenixInferno said:

DRAGON CLAN / CHARACTERS+STORY

As white is the color associated with death in Rokugani culture, why is Mirumoto Raitsugu wearing white in his art? Is he about to commit seppuku? :(

Not all whites are death-attuned. White is purity, but it's also "death", because people assigned that meaning to it because a lot of dead things come in white (bones, funeral garbs...) He is wearing a...cream-mud-white thing with addons for prettiness. The seppuku (and dead) white is all white, no pretty ups, no nothings.

Image result for seppuku robe

Here is also a death-kimono of ghosts, which is basically what the funeral kimono:
Image result for white kimono japan ghost

Compare that to Raitsugu :). I imagine he would dress in leisure suits in the modern era of 20 years ago :P...

It's also interesting to note that Emperor of Japan wears white when performing religious functions during certain periods of history, kind of legitimizing the "Imperial White" of L5R.

I actually +1 this question, I wonder what Katrina would have to say about it! I love her explanations about the setting, her passion for it is just pouring out and it's like having a energy drink of inspiration just hearing her talk :D

Edited by WHW

LION - DRAGON / CARD DESIGN QUESTION

I really like Ancestral mechanic, and I was quite surprised when I realized that Guidance of the Ancestors isn't Ancestral, though it functions actually pretty much the same, minus being less vulnerable to attachment hate. What makes GotA special and what is the philosophy behind it being "play from discard pile" versus giving it Ancestral?

MECHANICS QUESTION

What happens when I want to play a Restricted Attachment on a character with 2 Restricted Attachments already attached? Is this impossible, or do I just "bounce" one of the already attached attachments to the discard pile?

DECKBUILDING QUESTION

Are we going to see some sort of deckbuilding restriction around Champion characters? Something like "only 1 Champion per deck"?

GAME PLAY QUESTION

When there's a duel, is there an action window between bidding? Do you count just base strength or total strength of the character (buffs and/or attachments)

GAME PLAY QUESTION

What is the exact resolution timing for conflict resolution, do you do reactions to winning a ring, then break the province (if applicable), then trigger ring effect, then keywords?

DESIGN PHILOSOPHY QUESTION

Do you guys feel like removing a copy from a province of a unique character already in play to place a fate on that character might steer people into building decks full of unique characters? What is the design intention behind this mechanic since it seems to reward variance or unique character heavy decks since there's no penalty when a unique character leaves the field (permanent death).