#L5RLive

By FFGElena, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

19 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

So in broader terms, does "owner" refer to the player controlling a card at the time, or to the player playing the deck the card came from?

Typically, the "owner" of a card is the player whose deck it started in (it doesn't ever change during a game), while the "controller" is the player who controls it (initially, it's the owner, but it can change during a game).

On 7/15/2017 at 1:56 PM, Devin-the-Poet said:

This was talked about a bit in the most recent live video. Someone correct me if I get any of it wrong.

When calculating values you always start at the beginning. So if he gains or losses a Katana you would just recalculate from the beginning.

VB reaction goes off and doubles his (military) skill. This does not read like way of the Lion. If they wanted it to be the same they should have printed it the same so no idea there.

Edit* my guess is it will not add attachments, but it would be cool if I were wrong.

In the preview game on the live cast they said that any time there's a change you recalculate stats so losing the katana means he goes down to six.

Question(s) for the next video (and apologies if this has been asked already):

When playing a conflict-deck character from my hand, can I pay extra fate to put fate on that character? Would cards like For Greater Glory and Good Omens add fate to these conflict-side characters?

23 hours ago, twinstarbmc said:

Question(s) for the next video (and apologies if this has been asked already):

When playing a conflict-deck character from my hand, can I pay extra fate to put fate on that character? Would cards like For Greater Glory and Good Omens add fate to these conflict-side characters?

Great question. I asked this one sometime earlier and I was told that you can always add fate unless playing the character as an action like a Lion reaction, or charge no. But played from your hand yes.

Then they can be affected by other fate generation normally.

I can't remember where they answered me or give the link. And it will be easier when we have that rule book. But I believe this all to be accurate.

(feel free to correct me if I am wrong anybody)

What happens when a character forbidden from participating in certain types of conflict, like 'Shiba Peacemaker' or one attached with 'Pacifism', is forced into that type of conflict, be it from effects that change the conflict type or from ones that try to drag them to one? Is it the same as with characters with a '- skill or is it different?

Edit- If I understood the released Rules Reference correctly a "-" skill in itself is a type of "can't participate in a conflict", so both behave the same way. As such, a character attached with "Pacifism" cannot be moved to a military conflict and, should a conflict they are participating in be changed to military they would go home bowed.

Edited by Doji Tori
Question was answered in the Rules Reference document

A question for the next video:

The Organized Play update posted Tuesday did not clarify what the deck construction rules will be for the GenCon events. Will they be the same for each event? Will people play one clan or two, like in the Kingslayer tournament from Game of Thrones, and will players be able to select roles or not?

LORE QUESTION: (SPOILER BTW)

So in the Unicorn fiction, we have the Utaku, who at least in older lore was recognized as being a group of very high honor, promoting behavior that while may be right (in her eyes), was not really honorable (Backing out of the deal that was the wedding). As I understood it in the older lore, honor was an absolute definition and 'enforced' by the celestial order somehow, regardless of clan/background/etc. This was generally represented by the Honor stat, either on cards as personal honor or in the RPG as the honor rank.

Can you talk to if and how honor is different in FFG's L5R and if the concept of personal honor is still just a matter of perception (of yourself and others), or if there is someone invisibly grading your behavior and thoughts. Could a Scorpion doing disreputable things, but for the right reasons (For the empire/For their clan), be considered "honorable" in their own eyes or others then? Is this why cards now have a personal "Glory" instead of "Honor"?

How many copies of each clan card will be available in a single core box?

MECHANICS QUESTION:

Is "Becoming dishonored" the same as "Dishonoring a character"? IE, Is the first gaining the dishonored condition, while the other is moving a step down? What exactly does Stewart of Law prevent?

Here's one that has been confusing people that I think is fitting and a common rules question to come up with the full game: How does Reprieve work with sacrifice mechanics?

From the RRG under "Sacrifice"
◊ If the selected card does not leave play, the sacrifice is not considered to have been made.
◊ Sacrificing a card does not satisfy other means (such as “discard”) of a card leaving play.

It seems that the first bullet point is clear enough for sacrifice as a cost. If the character does not leave play due to a sacrifice cost, the cost has not been paid and the effect does not go off as a result.

But what about Way of the Crab? If my opponent plays Way of the Crab and sacrifices one of their Crab characters to fulfill it's cost, can I use Reprieve to save my chosen sacrifice character? Does this satisfy the effect of Way of the Crab? Or do I need to still sacrifice a character do to the first bullet point above in order to satisfy the effects?

I see this come up a lot, and this was obviously a lot of questions regarding the interactions of Reprieve and Sacrifice; but hopefully you guys can shed some light on the matter once and for all. Thanks for doing these L5RLive Q&As, they are awesome!

2 hours ago, I Fight Dragons said:

Nevermind

Edited by Zesu Shadaban
Can't read
3 hours ago, Kakita Onimaru said:

How many copies of each clan card will be available in a single core box?

This one can actually be answered.

Short answer: There will be one copy of each clan card in each core set. One stronghold, one province, one copy of 13 to 15 different dynasty cards, and one copy of 9 to 11 different conflict cards.

Long answer: The Learn to Play (L2P) book states there are 7 stronghold cards in the box. There are 7 strongholds (cards #1 through #7), so one copy per stronghold. The L2P book says there are 17 province cards; there are 17 different provinces (#8 - #24), so one copy each. The L2P book says there are 117 dynasty cards; there are 105 different dynasty cards (#25 - #129), so there are 12 duplicates in the dynasty deck. The L2P book says there are 98 conflict cards; there are 84 different conflict cards (#130 - #213), so there are 14 duplicate conflict cards. The L2P book says there are 5 role cards; there are 5 different role cards (#214 - #218), so one copy each.

So from that we can conclude that there are 12 duplicate dynasty cards and 14 duplicate conflict cards. However, the L2P booklet continues to help us -- the tutorial decks built on page 6 is extremely helpful in determining card counts. The first thing to note is that each deck contains one copy of each neutral conflict card, numbers 200 through 213. Since these tutorial decks are makeable with one core set, that means we have two copies of each of the 14 neutral conflict cards, which accounts for all neutral conflict deck duplicates. All of the remaining clan conflict cards are therefore single copies. Looking at the dynasty decks, across the two tutorial decks there are: 3x Otomo Courtier, 3x Seppun Guardsman, 3x Miya Mystic, 3x Wandering Swordsman, 2x Favorable Ground, and 2x Imperial Storehouse. This accounts for 10 of the 12 dynasty card duplicates. And while we technically don't know for sure that the last two dynasty card duplicates aren't on clan cards, I'd be willing to bet my hat that they're actually on the last two neutral dynasty characters -- the Keeper Initiate and Seeker Initiate cards.

On 5/25/2017 at 10:41 AM, FFGElena said:

Hi Elena!

We brainstormed tonight on the unofficial Discord server, and came up with a few specific rules questions, some of the answers might send ripples through other cards, so we compiled them and made a list. Sorry that some are very specific and intricate, but we created examples to make them easier to answer. Thanks for taking the time!

If I Let Go an opponent’s Watch Commander, do I lose an honor?

Since keywords seem to be distinct from constant abilities, and as such seem to not be covered in the timing in the Rules Reference, if I have an honored character with the pride keyword and I want to play Spies at Court after winning a political conflict, what status does my character end up with (and what is the exact order)?

Does Steward of Law prevent a character from losing honored status to go back to ordinary status or only from gaining the dishonored status

Borderlands Fortification allows it to swap with another card “in one of my provinces”. From what I can tell in the rules reference, my stronghold is in a province. What happens if I attempt to swap my Stronghold with a Borderlands Fortification using its ability?

Togashi Yokuni’s ability copies another triggered ability “until the end of the phase”. If Yokuni copies Shiba Tsukune’s interrupt that triggers “when the conflict phase would end”, will Yokuni be able to use the interrupt or will he lose it before it triggers?

Finally, A lot of questions have come up about Shameful Display and targets. Can we get clarification:

When choosing targets are you required to choose targets who will end up with the honored/dishonored status being applied, or could you choose one target that you know won’t change if the other one will? For example: If three characters are participating could I choose two honored characters, and have one go back to ordinary status? Or would I need to choose a target who will become honored and a target who will move towards dishonored status? If I target an honored character and an ordinary status character, could I choose to dishonor the ordinary character and honor the honored character?

Under Ability, on Page 2 of the Rules Reference:

The initiation of any keyword which uses the word “may” in its keyword description is optional. The application of all other keywords is mandatory

Therefore, Pride is mandatory.

Under Triggering Condition, one Page 16 of the Rules Reference:

The following is a sequence of possible interrupt and reaction opportunities that exists around each triggering condition that may arise in a game:

4. The triggering condition itself occurs.
5. Forced reactions that reference the triggering condition must resolve, in the order determined by the first player.
6. The reaction window to the triggering condition opens. It closes after all players consecutively pass

"After you win the conflict" is Step 4 above.
Is Pride considered a Forced reaction, so needs to be resolves in Step 5?

Or, is it considered "optional", so can be resolved during Step 6, in any order you like (as part of the consecutive reactions window)?

What are the tiebreakers for tournament play when time runs out?

GAMEPLAY QUESTION

In the conflict resolution framework, when do keywords like Pride are resolved? During the 'Determine conflict winner' step/framework?

DESIGN PHILOSOPHY MECHANICS QUESTION

So Fate as a mechanic is not only the source of income for paying for cards, but it's also a mechanism for keeping guys on the board; what is the design philosophy behind deciding that discard effects cannot be prevented or mitigated with fate, seeing as fate normally prevents a card from being discarded during the normal course of a game (similar to how dupes prevent discard/kill effects in Thrones 2.0 LCG)?

RULES CLARIFICATION / MECHANICS QUESTION / ATTACHMENTS

Per the Rules Reference document, "An attachment a player controls remains under his or her control even if the card or game element to which it is attached is under an opponent’s control." It also states, "If a situation arises in which an attachment is not legally attached, discard the attachment." Some attachments contain the text, "Attach to a character you control." If Player A has a character with an attachment with this text, and Player B takes control of the character, according to the Rules Reference, Player A controls the character's attachment, but Player B controls the attached character. In this situation, is the attachment considered no longer legally attached due to Player A no longer controlling the character, and therefore must be discarded, or is the requirement to "Attach to a character you control" considered fulfilled at the time of attachment, and therefore is unaffected by the fact that the character and the attachment are no longer under the same player's control?

CARD INTERACTION QUESTION: Yokuni and the Adept of Shadows

Is Yokuni allowed to use Adept of Shadows' ability? Where does he go then?

51 minutes ago, Mirith said:

CARD INTERACTION QUESTION: Yokuni and the Adept of Shadows

Is Yokuni allowed to use Adept of Shadows' ability? Where does he go then?

Answered by Brad in Discord: "He goes to your hand". Basically, he becomes a conflict character.

We know that an action needs to change the game state to be legal. Do all of an actions effects need to change the game state, or just one of them? If we know from the offset that an action will only partially resolve, is it legal?

As an example: Can Young Rumormonger's action "move" a dishonoring effect from a not-dishonored character to a dishonored one? This is effecting the game state (the first character doesn't become dishonored as an effect of the action) but not all of its effects resolve (the dishonored character's status doesn't change).

11 minutes ago, Yogo Gohei said:

We know that an action needs to change the game state to be legal. Do all of an actions effects need to change the game state, or just one of them? If we know from the offset that an action will only partially resolve, is it legal?

As an example: Can Young Rumormonger's action "move" a dishonoring effect from a not-dishonored character to a dishonored one? This is effecting the game state (the first character doesn't become dishonored as an effect of the action) but not all of its effects resolve (the dishonored character's status doesn't change).

Per the Rules Reference, Targeting:

The word “choose” indicates that one or more targets must be chosen in order for an ability to resolve. The player resolving the effect must choose a game element (usually a card) that meets the targeting requirements of the ability.
. . .

◊ A card is not an eligible target for an ability if the resolution of that ability’s effect could not affect the target at all. (For example, a bowed character cannot be chosen as the target for an ability that reads “Action: Choose a character — bow that character.”)

Similar to the example given in the Rules Reference, a Dishonored character cannot be dishonored, which would mean the ability's effect cannot affect that card, and it would not be an eligible target. Young Rumormonger does specify you to "choose" another character controlled by the same player, so targeting requirements are applicable to the ability.

EDIT: While this doesn't mean there isn't potentially other circumstances that may have partial action resolution, at least for the example provided (and any similar situations where the issue is in fact a noneligible target) then this would apply.

Edited by Zesu Shadaban
Added edit
1 minute ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

Similar to the example given in the Rules Reference, a Dishonored character cannot be dishonored, which would mean the ability's effect cannot affect that card, and it would not be an eligible target. Young Rumormonger does specify you to "choose" another character controlled by the same player, so targeting requirements are applicable to the ability.

Missed that part. Thanks!

At Thursday's Kiku Matsuri event, the event listing on the gen con site lists it as having a start time of noon, with "registration" ending at 12:30, and the opening ceremonies starting promptly at 1. Various statements from FFG discuss the parade starting at Georgia street and heading to the room where the event is to take place, where the opening ceremonies will occur at 1. My issue is, if I go to the room where the event is at noon so as to sign in (I managed to get a ticket when they added more slots) because I don't want to lose my slot to someone because I wasn't signed in at 12:30, I could miss the parade, and if I go straight to Georgia Street for the parade at noon, I could wind up losing my slot to someone else because I didn't sign in before 12:30. So, to summarize, is sign in for the event still as listed on the Gen Con website, and we are to go to Georgia street after signing in, or has sign in been moved either in location to Georgia street, or in time to after the parade? I really want to be able to participate (especially given that I've already paid for my tickets), but given the discrepancy in the info available if I pick the wrong one I run the risk of losing my slot due to missing the check in deadline.

2 hours ago, psychie said:

At Thursday's Kiku Matsuri event, the event listing on the gen con site lists it as having a start time of noon, with "registration" ending at 12:30, and the opening ceremonies starting promptly at 1. Various statements from FFG discuss the parade starting at Georgia street and heading to the room where the event is to take place, where the opening ceremonies will occur at 1. My issue is, if I go to the room where the event is at noon so as to sign in (I managed to get a ticket when they added more slots) because I don't want to lose my slot to someone because I wasn't signed in at 12:30, I could miss the parade, and if I go straight to Georgia Street for the parade at noon, I could wind up losing my slot to someone else because I didn't sign in before 12:30. So, to summarize, is sign in for the event still as listed on the Gen Con website, and we are to go to Georgia street after signing in, or has sign in been moved either in location to Georgia street, or in time to after the parade? I really want to be able to participate (especially given that I've already paid for my tickets), but given the discrepancy in the info available if I pick the wrong one I run the risk of losing my slot due to missing the check in deadline.

From the "A Legion of Samurai" News item released which also originally announced the extra seats, hope this helps clear things up:

Players with a ticket will check in at the FFG Flight Control stage in the Gen Con event hall between 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, August 17th. We will then begin accepting standby players with generic Gen Con event tickets to fill any empty seats.

. . .

The opening celebration of the Kiku Matsuri will begin at 1:00 p.m. where Gen Con goers are welcome to experience the pomp and circumstance surrounding the Kiku Matsuri.

I'm sure they initially planned a nominal start time for registration around noon (have to provide a "start" time for listing the event) but with the huge demand and doubling the seats, they expanded the registration window to allow plenty of time for everyone to check in.

while I had missed that 10:30 check in start in that article, I get the feeling that the idea (or at least the decision) to have the parade beforehand came after this announcement, as more recent discussions of the parade give the impression that it will end at 1:00 in the hall where the tourney will take place, so this info still feels as though it could be out of date.

Thank you, though.