#L5RLive

By FFGElena, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Brain fart.

Edited by Mirith

Fixed.

Edited by Descent
No longer Needed

If an ancestral attachment gets discarded from your hand instead of leaving play from the board, does it still come back to your hand?

1 minute ago, MoZi said:

If an ancestral attachment gets discarded from your hand instead of leaving play from the board, does it still come back to your hand?

An Ancestral attachment only returns to your hand when the card it is attached to leaves play.

59 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

An Ancestral attachment only returns to your hand when the card it is attached to leaves play.

"When attached card leaves play."

It's worth asking if "attached card" in this card text refers to the attachment itself or the card the attachment is attached to because that is generating quite a bit of debate and strictly speaking it is ambiguous without seeing more rules definitions for this game. I suspect you are correct but it would be nice to put it to bed. I'll restate it in the established format so it's easier for Elena to pick out of the crowd.

DRAGON CLAN / MECHANICS QUESTION

Please explain the Ancestral keyword. Is "When attached card leaves play." referring to the attachment itself or the card on which it is attached. For example can you use Let Go to return Ancestral Daisho to your hand?

Edited by phillos
1 hour ago, phillos said:

"When attached card leaves play."

It's worth asking if "attached card" in this card text refers to the attachment itself or the card the attachment is attached to because that is generating quite a bit of debate and strictly speaking it is ambiguous without seeing more rules definitions for this game. I suspect you are correct but it would be nice to put it to bed. I'll restate it in the established format so it's easier for Elena to pick out of the crowd.

DRAGON CLAN / MECHANICS QUESTION

Please explain the Ancestral keyword. Is "When attached card leaves play." referring to the attachment itself or the card on which it is attached. For example can you use Let Go to return Ancestral Daisho to your hand?

If they meant it to be when the attachment leaves play, they would have said something like, "When this card leave play..."

let them answer the question. So much resistance to a simple question. At the end of the day you are STILL just making an assumption.

Edited by phillos
1 hour ago, phillos said:

let them answer the question. So much resistance to a simple question. At the end of the day you are STILL just making an assumption.

It's not an assumption. It's literally the same wording and rules used in every other LCG that has that sort of effect. In this case, we're just assuming that the same wording and rules that have so far held in both the other LCGs and in what we've learned about L5R will also hold here, the same way as Limited, Restricted, and other rules frameworks have carried over.

In fact, I'd be surprised if they changed the rules on that wording just for L5R. Yes, it's possible once we see the rules, but let's just say that given all the other rules commonalities it's sharing with its fellow LCGs, it would be very surprising if it was different.

Gaffa are you really arguing that an assumption isn't an assumption? I thought you were better than that.

Edited by phillos
3 minutes ago, phillos said:

Yes. I am assuming they will be consistent with their own game (we have already seen references to "this card"), with other games they manufacture, and with conventions in card games in general. Just as you are making the assumption that answers given in the streams will be authoritative. I understand that some people may be newer to card games and may not have encountered such wordings before, but that doesn't make the opinions of the experienced are simply wild guesses.

Fine whatever. Don't answer a perfectly valid question. I mean I've been playing LCGs for 6 years and card games for like 20, but whatever you guys clearly are better at this than me I guess.

Edited by phillos
8 minutes ago, phillos said:

Fine whatever. Don't answer a perfectly valid question. I mean I've been playing LCGs for 6 years and card games for like 20, but whatever you guys clearly are better at this than me I guess.

Oh, calm down. No one is saying you can't ask the question or that FFG can't answer it. However, when you decide to be dismissive or even insulting of someone else's perfectly valid, well-reasoned answer, you've got to expect people will push back a little.

yeah that was a bit emotionally charged :) Sorry if I came of as a jerk, but it felt like you guys were talking down to me. I'm just saying you are answering the question with how you think it works. We have a forum right here where Brad will tell us how he actually designed it.

Add: I see a lot of people answering questions here in this thread with how they think it works. They may be educated guesses, but if we are dismissive with card questions in this way we might run away with false assumptions.

Edited by phillos

DRAGON CLAN / LORE QUESTION [little silly]

Why is bald head hairstyle so popular for the Dragon? Is there any significance or philosophy behind it?

1 minute ago, JJ48 said:

Oh, calm down. No one is saying you can't ask the question or that FFG can't answer it. However, when you decide to be dismissive or even insulting of someone else's perfectly valid, well-reasoned answer, you've got to expect people will push back a little.

I think, while yes, maybe not phrased in the most polite terms, @phillos has a good point about this particular thread . I'm not going to say anything on Gaffa's answer, since its border line, but unless you can actively point at something from an actual FFG source, it is actually counter productive to have people who are not FFG answering questions. I say this because we don't know if FFG is reading over our questions, seeing the answer and saying "well that seems good, I don't need to answer this", or if FFG is just ignoring our question. The point of this thread is to ask FFG something about L5R , not to ask the random internet something.

I think we should keep the answers to a minimum for this thread. Though it might be helpful if someone transcribed answers from the L5R Live (Or at least to mechanics questions) into the thread if answered. However, that seems like a lot of work, so it won't be me.

1 minute ago, WHW said:

DRAGON CLAN / LORE QUESTION [little silly]

Why is bald head hairstyle so popular for the Dragon? Is there any significance or philosophy behind it?

I"m curious how they'd answer, but i'd guess it will be a variant of the original "because of the whole monk thing"

1 hour ago, Mirith said:

I think, while yes, maybe not phrased in the most polite terms, @phillos has a good point about this particular thread . I'm not going to say anything on Gaffa's answer, since its border line, but unless you can actively point at something from an actual FFG source, it is actually counter productive to have people who are not FFG answering questions. I say this because we don't know if FFG is reading over our questions, seeing the answer and saying "well that seems good, I don't need to answer this", or if FFG is just ignoring our question. The point of this thread is to ask FFG something about L5R , not to ask the random internet something.

I think we should keep the answers to a minimum for this thread. Though it might be helpful if someone transcribed answers from the L5R Live (Or at least to mechanics questions) into the thread if answered. However, that seems like a lot of work, so it won't be me.

I thoroughly disagree about it being counterproductive. Suppose FFG skips the question because it has already been answered. Then not only do we have an answer to the question, but FFG was able to spend the limited time they had on another, unanswered (or wrongly answered) question instead!

Now suppose they skipped it simply because they didn't feel like answering it. Would you prefer to have a logical, well-reasoned answer to the question, or no answer at all?

In neither case, it seems, are we worse off because someone else decided to answer the question; which FFG can certainly still choose to answer if they so wish.

And personally, I would appreciate it if people stopped pretending like we know absolutely nothing without explicit confirmation from FFG. Yes, there are a some things which we can only guess at without official word, but there are also a good many explanations that are pretty robust, which some people still want to claim as "ambiguous" simply because FFG hasn't spelled out for us what everyone else had already said.

You are making an educated guess. An educated guess is still a guess. Look the real messed up part of all this is I actually agree with you, but I just like you couldn't prove it definitively. I was asking the question so we could move on from debating it in the other forum threads, but the action that I thought would close out arguments is just leading to more argument. I guess it wasn't helping matters that I got all heated :)

Philosophy question (Dragon clan)

Dear design team,

From the last (Lion) video, there was a great sense of reverence and passionate discourse surrounding the fiction and roots of L5R. In particular with regards to the dawn of the empire, and test of the Emerald champion. Given that such iconic figures as Akodo and Matsu are largely consistent with the representations that L5R fans have come to know and love; as a student of history (and a fan) I would consider it a real privilege if You (the design team) would be open to expanding on some of the other iconic characters from L5R.

Particularly, I would be very interested in understanding the palette that Togashi will be painted with?

kindest regards

~

Bayushi Okanuro

Edited by Desertspiral
4 hours ago, phillos said:

and entirety of this discussion about that question

can we please take it to the monks on the mountain thread? I don't think there is any point in clogging the question thread with arguing...

Please FFG. Can you refrain from answering pointless questions and dedicate the l5r live stream to answering good questions?

thank you

RULES QUESTIONS

If I have Togashi Yokuni in play, can I copy an ability printed on a character with Cloud the Mind attached to it?

If my opponent declares a Military attack against the Mori Kuroi province as their first conflict and I choose to switch the conflict type to Political using the province's reaction, would they be able to declare a Military attack for their second conflict this round?

54 minutes ago, Eu8L1ch said:

If my opponent declares a Military attack against the Mori Kuroi province as their first conflict and I choose to switch the conflict type to Political using the province's reaction, would they be able to declare a Military attack for their second conflict this round?

FFG has already answered this. You are allowed to declare 1 political and 1 military conflict each turn. If you declare a Military conflict, why would you be able to declare another military conflict?

Updated some of my questions with answers. I may quote some of you and add a response too if I have time and remember.

1 hour ago, Sparks Duh said:

FFG has already answered this. You are allowed to declare 1 political and 1 military conflict each turn. If you declare a Military conflict, why would you be able to declare another military conflict?

I was unaware of the fact they already answered this, it is not easy to check quickly. Thanks for pointing it out.

As for guessing the answer, there is always a logic behind the rules of a good game, the problem is that not all premises are clear or what one would intuitively expect, so I figure it's worth asking for confirmation - especially when the rulebook hasn't been revealed yet (there could be a clause regarding resolving a conflict for each type, or some kind of an explicit exception). So yeah, I do think it's worth asking unless the question has been answered already or it involves something for which we have *all* the relevant information.

In addition to this, it seemed very harsh to me for the attacking player not to be able to declare a Military/Political conflict for the whole endgame if the Phoenix player put this under their Stronghold, so I wanted to be 100% sure that is the case.