#L5RLive

By FFGElena, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

LION CLAN QUESTION / STORY

What are the dominant themes of Lion that you want to capture and emphasize in fiction?

What is your favorite Lion story or tidbit that you think captured the essence of Lion the most?

What piece of inspirational non-L5R media helped shape your vision of Lion? A movie, a book, a comic book, or even a legend or trope?

Is Matsu family going to remain strictly matriarchal? Is the ancestral Kakita-Matsu rivalry still "in"?

| It seems that in way more inclusive environment of today, there is no real need for "gateway family for female warriors" that Utaku and Matsu originally existed for . |

Are there any Lion specific dueling rituals or traditions? Any chance for quick and decisive resolving of problems between fellow soldiers in a shirtless duel using wooden swords? :P
|Think Agni-Kai from the Avatar : The Last Airbender; it always struck me as super-Liony! Just switch fireballs for swords. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNI1OQ7S44Y

Lions and Sun Tzu's Art of War! What is the relationship between Lion, Honor and strategy+tactics? After all, "superior tactics" often involve means uncomfortably close to not-Honorable approach...

Would Zhuge Liang - the legendary general of the Romance of Three Kingdoms fame - be a Lion, Scorpion or a Scorplion :P ? How would your typical Lion perceive Zhuge Liang?

Edited by WHW

FFG,

In the L5RLive on 5/26/2017 you said the Lion have a swarming effect with how many cards the have the opportunity to put out in a round, because they have the largest standing army in Rokugan. It was established in AEG fiction that the Crab clan would have the largest standing army if it was not for their loses fighting the Shadowlands and standing the wall. They also refresh their numbers by requiring all Crab to produce three male offspring. Will the Crab have a similar, maybe not as potent capability?

So, if Dueling is about drawing first blood, if in the fiction they had been dueling instead of fighting to the death, Doji Hotaru would have lost?

Well, she's only a 3 military....

GENERAL QUESTION / STORY+MECHANICS

Could you provide some context for conflict score values? Is 3 military "weak soldier", or is it - story wise - amazing master warrior?

GENERAL QUESTION / STORY

What do you think about the concept of Shourido? Have you considered revisiting it, and if so, is there anything you can say to us about it?

GENERAL QUESTION / STORY

When figuring out names for new characters, do you pick kanji for them? If so, could you share some of them with us and explain why you did you pick those?

SPECIFIC CARD QUESTION / NEUTRAL

Wandering Ronin looks really awesome, and I love that he has potential to show up, DRASTICALLY change the fate of the conflict he participates in, and then leave guided by the wind somewhere else! Is this card representing a specific character, or is it an umbrella card for all the Zatoichis, Sanjuros and Oogami Ittos that wander the Rokugan? Any chance for a story featuring a (or THE!) Wandering Ronin?

SPECIFIC CARD QUESTION / LION CLAN

I love everything about Lion's Pride Brawler! For whatever reason, everyone I have shown this card reacted to it by saying "wow, a Matsu Courtier!". Is that reaction correct, and if so, what about this card captures MATSUness so perfectly, despite being a Courtier of all things?

Edited by WHW

Could you tell us something about Lion Clan's symbol, the Lion itself? Why does it capture the essence of these proud warriors, and what are - if there are some - differences between western portrayal of Lions and eastern ones? Basically, why Lion is a Lion? :)

LION LORE:

Are the Kitsu family still descended from the lion-like creatures who communed with spirits as before?

Is the Kitsu family still closely tied to the communion of the ancestors of the Lion Clan (also known as the Sodan Senzo)?

What are the current whereabouts of the revered sensei Akodo Kage (who is, of course, above reproach)?

Story

Will there be an official story archive for all the fiction (both web and from the various boxed sets and packs)? If not will FFG allow for a fan made archive?

Mechanics (edited to make example clearer)

Will it be possible to do the old CCG trick of declaring an attack/conflict at a province and then not sending anyone to the battle?

Example: In the CCG I would declare an attack at one or more provinces. There would be reactions to that declaration (and to the reactions played). At that point I could say "I assign nobody to attack" ending the battle. Is that going to be possible?

Could I assign no presence and use stay at home characters to attack anybody my opponent assigns?

Edited by ldorn

Since we have seen so many characters return from the old game, will we get to see Ikoma Tsanuri and Kitsu Motso again? And maybe this time with names that actually use japanese spelling? (I really like both of them, but the spelling always drove me mad).

Mechanics/card pool question

We saw a little bit of duelling in the Crane preview, but no cards that key off duelist, no 'lethal' duels, and no duels that use political skill as a stat. Are there any of these 3 types of card in the core set? How much does duelling rely on unaligned cards?

Since duelling was such a big part of the flavour of the CcG, it would be nice to see previews of any duelling -relevant unaligned cards so we can understand better the role it will play in the LCG.

Mechanics q:

If 'For Shame' is played when Steward of Law is at the conflict, does the chosen character have to bow, or can the controller choose to 'dishonor' the character, and then the effect is prevented so nothing happens?

CARD SPOILERS QUESTION

1 - Will you be revealing more neutral cards during the clan reveals if a neutral card fits the theme of a clan? For example, fully revealing Assassination during the Scorpion previews?

2 - Will we see more neutral provinces and the full rule book before GenCon?

I've been playing L5R from long ago, and during this time I know a lot about the faults of the old system. One of these faults are the Events cards, and I've seen all of facets of her power, too powerful for make a dynasty deck only with those cards... too weak for someone to care... however, those cards have something special... magical I would say...

Maybe... and only maybe... ¿are we going to see anything new about those cards?

6 hours ago, Mirumoto_Rei said:

I've been playing L5R from long ago, and during this time I know a lot about the faults of the old system. One of these faults are the Events cards, and I've seen all of facets of her power, too powerful for make a dynasty deck only with those cards... too weak for someone to care... however, those cards have something special... magical I would say...

Maybe... and only maybe... ¿are we going to see anything new about those cards?

There are already event cards in nu5r...

4 hours ago, Sparks Duh said:

There are already event cards in nu5r...

Yeah... In the Fate... I mean, in the Conflict Deck (AKA "Fate Deck" for the ancients)

I was talking of THOSE event cards

inheritance.jpg

27 minutes ago, Mirumoto_Rei said:

Yeah... In the Fate... I mean, in the Conflict Deck (AKA "Fate Deck" for the ancients)

I was talking of THOSE event cards

inheritance.jpg

There won't be any.

Essentially, the new Holdings are rather similar to old Events in many ways. Not identical, but similar enough that I doubt we need a separate card type.

5 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Essentially, the new Holdings are rather similar to old Events in many ways. Not identical, but similar enough that I doubt we need a separate card type.

I know... I know... But only two types of cards in the dynasty deck seems to me a bit estrange... especially when the holdings don't need a 33% of the deck... It's not complain, I'm just crying...

The new system is AWESOME and I'm eager to play again, but men! what a good times...

Doom_of_the_Dark_Lord-card.jpg

If Akodo Gunsou loses a conflict with Steward of Law on the board does the Gunsou become dishonored? Or does the Steward's effect block it?

@Mirumoto_Rei, all you other clans are finally catching up to base Ratling deck design :) 3 Holdings 37 dudes gogogogogo.

11 minutes ago, Reiga said:

If Akodo Gunsou loses a conflict with Steward of Law on the board does the Gunsou become dishonored? Or does the Steward's effect block it?

The Steward's effect is only while he's participating in a conflict. Akodo Gunsou becomes dishonored after losing a conflict, so Steward should not be able to block it. In short, the conflict is already over by the time Akodo Gunsou's text comes into play.

16 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

The Steward's effect is only while he's participating in a conflict. Akodo Gunsou becomes dishonored after losing a conflict, so Steward should not be able to block it. In short, the conflict is already over by the time Akodo Gunsou's text comes into play.

Are you sure? I'd assume the conflict is over once everyone is gone home bowed. Which would be after winning/losing and claiming the ring.

10 minutes ago, Ser Nakata said:

Are you sure? I'd assume the conflict is over once everyone is gone home bowed. Which would be after winning/losing and claiming the ring.

The relevant part of the Akodo's text is, "After this character loses a conflict, dishonor it." Steward of Law says, "While this character is participating in a conflict, characters cannot become dishonored." It would seem a very odd reading to me if characters are still considered to be participating in a conflict after a winner has been declared.

I could be wrong about that, but to me it just seems the most natural reading of the cards.

Though, if Steward of Law does protect during resolution, I predict a lot of Lion will be running him, at least initially.

17 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

The relevant part of the Akodo's text is, "After this character loses a conflict, dishonor it." Steward of Law says, "While this character is participating in a conflict, characters cannot become dishonored." It would seem a very odd reading to me if characters are still considered to be participating in a conflict after a winner has been declared.

I could be wrong about that, but to me it just seems the most natural reading of the cards.

Though, if Steward of Law does protect during resolution, I predict a lot of Lion will be running him, at least initially.

Characters are definitely still participating even after a winner is declared, otherwise Spies at Court and Fallen in Battle don't work.