Darthain's adventures in not space ships

By Darthain, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

1 hour ago, Tvayumat said:

I use a cheap crackle paint, some blue washing and white drybrushing for a "frozen ground" effect on my Malifaux December crew. Aggrellan is SOOOO overpriced. Basically any crackle paint should work.

But dude it is already brown, saves a whole step :D (I'm pretty greedy with my time, I have so little of it to divide amongst my hobbieS)

Edited by Darthain
28 minutes ago, Darthain said:

But dude it is already brown, saves a whole step :D (I'm pretty greedy with my time, I have so little of it to divide amongst my hobbieS)

We pay for convenience, and nobody can put a value on your time but you.

Keep up the good work!

Getting somewhere on the cat riders

Dm7UfIy.jpg

Had to mulligan the cats, they were tough, in that the features are VERY deep on the cats, meaning if you highlight a bit harshly, it looks like them skin of musculoskeleton displays. Again, expedience is key (don't want to paint up 6-10 trays of these guys with hard detail), so I once again used my least favourite tool for the armour, dry brushing. Do I ever hate dry brushing.

Is cat now

TEiX3Lc.jpg

D4P72Dg.jpg

Tree will get leaves when the mail delivers them to me. until then I present you with rocky outcrop #1 (tree is also entirely removable/magnetted for storage/transport.) Thanks Heptitude for shamelessly giving me ideas to steal.

KcCqDlo.jpg

3g9GWkN.jpg

4 hours ago, Darthain said:

Tree will get leaves when the mail delivers them to me. until then I present you with rocky outcrop #1 (tree is also entirely removable/magnetted for storage/transport.) Thanks Heptitude for shamelessly giving me ideas to steal.

[Pictures of the tree]

The White Tree of Gondor! :D

59 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

The White Tree of Gondor! :D

Or, you know, a birch ?

3 hours ago, Darthain said:

Or, you know, a birch ?

Would that be a scion of a birch?

More terrain, and a really spiffy looking rock. A rock so spiffy I'm going to do a golem in it.

q37c9tl.jpg

CpCva2e.jpg

rRDGet9.jpg

pXcIv0I.jpg

Edited by Darthain

That rock is gorgeous! Really, really nice job!

20 minutes ago, Hepitude said:

That rock is gorgeous! Really, really nice job!

Thank you! I showed it to my wife and she was like 'holy ****, looks like the rock behind you (she likes rocks). I was super happy with the random result. Sometimes just doing **** pays off :D

it is a bone white (VGC) , agrax (GW), select nuln oil (GW) , banding with typhus corrosion (GW) after, then dry brushing from hammerfall khaki (p3), bone white, ghost grey(VGC). The rock is more house insulation board. (super simple thankfully, a happy accident).

Edited by Darthain
50 minutes ago, Darthain said:

Thank you! I showed it to my wife and she was like 'holy ****, looks like the rock behind you (she likes rocks). I was super happy with the random result. Sometimes just doing **** pays off :D

it is a bone white (VGC) , agrax (GW), select nuln oil (GW) , banding with typhus corrosion (GW) after, then dry brushing from hammerfall khaki (p3), bone white, ghost grey(VGC). The rock is more house insulation board. (super simple thankfully, a happy accident).

"a happy accident"... sure... I don't think beautifully patterned strata happens by accident. :)

And at risk of appearing crazy prolific, completed a bannerman, don't know that I like the oranger gold tone I used here though.

j6MsDPj.jpg

3 hours ago, Darthain said:

And at risk of appearing crazy prolific, completed a bannerman, don't know that I like the oranger gold tone I used here though.

That highlighting is gorgeous! You never cease to amaze me!

Edited by Parakitor
43 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

That highlighting is gorgeous! You never cease to amaze me!

Thanks! I honestly preferred my other banner so good to know I might be wrong.

On 10/4/2017 at 1:39 PM, Darthain said:

Is cat now

TEiX3Lc.jpg

D4P72Dg.jpg

Gorgeous!

WIP Scion, 4 levels of shade on this bastard, 1 highlight so far (1 or 2 to go?) At least once the wood is done there is very little work on these guys (just mushrooms and leaves).

FVA46az.jpg

3ruj7ah.jpg

And some crumbling wall thing...

oOV0mSQ.jpg

PyWINJk.jpg

3ShjS5E.jpg

Edited by Darthain
On 10/8/2017 at 10:43 AM, Darthain said:

FVA46az.jpg

Dude... awesome. I'm going with an aspen tree style on one of mine. What did you use for the darker layers, almost like a grey-brown?

I might give mine red leaves and mushrooms and turn him into a Bloodwood Scion :)

21 hours ago, Wraithist said:

Dude... awesome. I'm going with an aspen tree style on one of mine. What did you use for the darker layers, almost like a grey-brown?

I might give mine red leaves and mushrooms and turn him into a Bloodwood Scion :)

Mine went rusty leaves, blue mushrooms, some of which glow.

The colours are, low to high:

Nuln oil+thamar black (p3) + thownwood green

Nuln oil + thornwood

Thornwood

Thornwood+ pale blue grey

Pale blue grey (vmc, I think)

Pale blue grey +pale grey blue

Pale grey blue (not shown there yet, but will later tomorrow?

The thornwood is the ticket.

Edited by Darthain
Forgot, did a blue grey+thornwood layer
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:25 PM, Darthain said:

So test spearman done. The inking on the purple cloth is off, too bright. The purple I chose is not vibrant enough, the gloves and strapping backs of legs could use to be a different colour but that's work... Could use highlights but ****, there are 64 of these.

B1J0giq.jpg

95Jmi18.jpg

VweDOeC.jpg

NaPOZSZ.jpg

I really like the color of the armor itself like a dark gray/charcoal with a hint of purple is what it seems, but the hint of purple may be pulled from the purple around it I can't tell.

4 hours ago, Curlycross said:

I really like the color of the armor itself like a dark gray/charcoal with a hint of purple is what it seems, but the hint of purple may be pulled from the purple around it I can't tell.

The purple, in this case is a reflection. I believe that base coat was Dark Blue grey (VMC), I later switched to a darker black grey (VMC), tire black (taimya spray) I've found when using those colours on my star destroyers, other blues would really make it 'pop out' as it were, the purple may be behaving similarly.

Edited by Darthain

And next we have, a happy little lake. Behold the peacefully serene scene. Sit quietly a moment, and contemplate your existence. Reflect upon your life choices, which ultimately led to you, standing on the field, defending a bloody banner. Feel dismay at the imperial attitudes present in your modern society, and see if you can't figure out why you can't all just get along and enjoy this beauty. Yeah, that's why the lake is taxing 1.

aJ9rTJq.jpg

Scion #1

As previous, this model is a real son of a birch to paint. Mostly shadows itself. Bad ash results? you decide.

d1r8DWL.jpg

Sdsi9up.jpg

TptIKWh.jpg

vGQ8ODM.jpg

Once more, WITH FLASH (behold my mistakes and despair!)

ocmY3mH.jpg

VRXY9Sgl.jpg

(mistake corrected, unsure why that image is bigger)

Edited by Darthain

Wildcall/Aliana WIP. Cat's done, all armour, leather, stone (blades) and Aliana now. I went for broke and tried for brindling on the cat (everyone and their cousin is doing tiger, so I couldn't very well do that).

What do you guys think so far? Did the brindling come across enough?

gET5q5e.jpg

pDrD2Ub.jpg

First tree (other 4 are done too, but you guys need to wait for the forest base)

tVmaLwg.jpg

Caveat Emptor: There is a product by Krylon called Easy Tack, often beside spray adhesive, and for the life of me I cannot understand why anyone would want repositionable spray adhesive. This is what I bought. This is what I now need to rectify, it remains tacky, indefinitely. Who the heck would ever want that?

Edited by Darthain