Darthain's adventures in not space ships

By Darthain, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

So test spearman done. The inking on the purple cloth is off, too bright. The purple I chose is not vibrant enough, the gloves and strapping backs of legs could use to be a different colour but that's work... Could use highlights but hell, there are 64 of these.

B1J0giq.jpg

95Jmi18.jpg

VweDOeC.jpg

NaPOZSZ.jpg

Honestly, I like the dark purple shade, but I think it has overwhelmed the model to make it appear too dark. I think you may need some more tone support with such a dark purple. Perhaps a white-purple shade on the cloth shirt and pants under the armor, make the purple pop a bit more? Then maybe a quickbrush over it to really bring out the creases on the cloth in contrast to the smoothness of the plate armor?

Secondly, remember the trays in this game really are going to add a background larger than with normal mini bases, so basing the trays can add background. You could do something like desert sand or snow or a fall leaf litter that could really add a second tone to bring out the depth of the purple with your basing.

16 hours ago, drkpnthr said:

Honestly, I like the dark purple shade, but I think it has overwhelmed the model to make it appear too dark. I think you may need some more tone support with such a dark purple. Perhaps a white-purple shade on the cloth shirt and pants under the armor, make the purple pop a bit more? Then maybe a quickbrush over it to really bring out the creases on the cloth in contrast to the smoothness of the plate armor?

Secondly, remember the trays in this game really are going to add a background larger than with normal mini bases, so basing the trays can add background. You could do something like desert sand or snow or a fall leaf litter that could really add a second tone to bring out the depth of the purple with your basing.

You make some good points, but I generally use a brighter purple with this scheme, hence the tinkering. Scheme completely visible here, except it is well highlighted on all fronts. I generally use the purple on the soldier as the shadows, and work up front there.

DL9QUeT.jpg

Beautiful work, exciting use of shading. It reminds me of some of the over-the-top spaceships you would see in a 90s space adventure game. I think the spearmen would look great with this treatment, but you do face an economy of scale , as each soldier will take a great amount of time to shade... Perhaps just do full scale with the champions and heroes?/

Edited by drkpnthr
42 minutes ago, drkpnthr said:

Beautiful work, exciting use of shading. It reminds me of some of the over-the-top spaceships you would see in a 90s space adventure game. I think the spearmen would look great with this treatment, but you do face an economy of scale , as each soldier will take a great amount of time to shade... Perhaps just do full scale with the champions and heroes?/

Never fear Mr Panther, Heroes, Golems, unique figs, and maybe the cavalry are going to get time put into them. All this ramps up when I finish a rather ridiculous imperial star destroyer using all the techniques I tested on that gladiator... so 7-8x the area and 100000 more panels... Took about 12 hours to shade and blend. These figures are candy comparatively, especially once I find a match colour primer for the spears.

Test 2 online. I can live with this one (darker grey, brighter purple, very quick highlight on the purple)

JXMjpr3.jpg

CLBmmis.jpg

and test 1 to test 2

ZXRrArC.jpg

Not dead. WIP golem (just finished base coating, the real fun begins now) on my current 4 trays spears to be allowed to paint something else for a bit.

QqsFo56.jpg

5HqLjkc.jpg

Hmm... that rune golem is neat. The stone is similar to the kind I'll be doing on my Rune Golems.

I will say that that looks like it took forever XD

5 hours ago, Alino said:

Hmm... that rune golem is neat. The stone is similar to the kind I'll be doing on my Rune Golems.

I will say that that looks like it took forever XD

That's just the base coating, that thing is barely started. Rock will be first I think

1 hour ago, Darthain said:

That's just the base coating, that thing is barely started. Rock will be first I think

I can tell it's just a base coating ^^ The part that I was referring to when I said it looked like it took forever were all the white lines everywhere. They look like they were a pain to paint.

2 minutes ago, Alino said:

I can tell it's just a base coating ^^ The part that I was referring to when I said it looked like it took forever were all the white lines everywhere. They look like they were a pain to paint.

Naw, they are dead simple. Just a brush stroke. They exist merely as mapping for the glow (so I don't have to give it a lighter base later, colours over white being more vibrant and all)

2 minutes ago, Darthain said:

Naw, they are dead simple. Just a brush stroke. They exist merely as mapping for the glow (so I don't have to give it a lighter base later, colours over white being more vibrant and all)

Ah, alright. I like the contrast between the glow and the stone as well. Also, how'd you do the checker-pattern on the spearman's shield?

9 minutes ago, Alino said:

Ah, alright. I like the contrast between the glow and the stone as well. Also, how'd you do the checker-pattern on the spearman's shield?

All freehand. I just draw a different geometric shape/pattern on each sheild. I'm sure I'll start repeating soon. The horus falcon is a ginfritter decal.

On 5/22/2017 at 4:56 PM, Darthain said:

Test 2 online. I can live with this one (darker grey, brighter purple, very quick highlight on the purple)

JXMjpr3.jpg

CLBmmis.jpg

and test 1 to test 2

ZXRrArC.jpg

I really dislike both the default schemes and your purple, black and gold makes me very happy. Well done!

22 minutes ago, Polda said:

I really dislike both the default schemes and your purple, black and gold makes me very happy. Well done!

I'm lost but thanks (actually I'm assuming dislike was a tech issue?)

The biggest mistake I made is the metal trimming. Bad for sanity.

3 minutes ago, Darthain said:

I'm lost but thanks (actually I'm assuming dislike was a tech issue?)

The biggest mistake I made is the metal trimming. Bad for sanity.

I think he meant he dislikes the blue/gold Daqan scheme and the purple Waiqar scheme.

3 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I think he meant he dislikes the blue/gold Daqan scheme and the purple Waiqar scheme.

^this, the two themes featured in all the official articles.

You know... the ones ripped straight out of Warcraft 3. :D

undead-groupphoto2.jpg

humans-groupphoto2.jpg

Edit: added examples

Edited by Polda
22 minutes ago, Polda said:

^this, the two themes featured in all the official articles.

You know... the ones ripped straight out of Warcraft 3. :D

undead-groupphoto2.jpg

humans-groupphoto2.jpg

Edit: added examples

Lol, good catch.

Yeah, I really hate the full colour armour of the default schemes as well, too cartoon. Hence the dark grey, I felt there was too much armour to go full metallic as well on the humans. Would look cheese (ier) than what I've done. Hoping to get the rock all highlighted today and my first 4 trays based.

JGXKlxz.jpg

Spearmen round 1 of 4 (I'm painting them in batches of 16. Minimal effort is the name of the game, I deeply regret the gold trim though, as it is just so much work (compared to every other step). I flocked them gently. Suitable I think.

Edited by Darthain

youre doing 16 at a time and NOT going insane with all the trim work?

It takes me about as long to do the trim as the rest of the model....i actually timed it lol. Takes me about 15 minutes to paint the armor, silver bits (blade/chains), cloth, and face and takes me about 9min to do the trim lol.

Exactly the reason why for my Waiqar i was determined to get a scheme that had 0 edge work required lol

Edited by Vineheart01

Well I see somebody's been busy.... Nice work!

1 hour ago, Vineheart01 said:

youre doing 16 at a time and NOT going insane with all the trim work?

It takes me about as long to do the trim as the rest of the model....i actually timed it lol. Takes me about 15 minutes to paint the armor, silver bits (blade/chains), cloth, and face and takes me about 9min to do the trim lol.

Exactly the reason why for my Waiqar i was determined to get a scheme that had 0 edge work required lol

I did 1 , then 1, then 7, then 4, then 3. Trim takes me about 15 minutes per model. I mean I paint 16 start to finish before I let myself paint something else. The Trim IS AWFUL, but I started, now I gotta finish. So much for a minimal effort scheme eh? I should not have done edge work.

Still chipping away (hehe, get it?) At the golem, done with the rock I think after adding some veining and metallic stipple.

fY83prp.jpg

EcqQb2d.jpg

Nice looking models! Where are the egyptian-like eagle decals from? They work very well with your colours.

Painting trims can be a pain. What I would do is basecoat the whole model with the trim color (in this case gold), and then "fill" the purple/dark grey. It's usually faster and the final result looks tidier.

I prime/basecoat with an airbrush myself. But there are some gold primers you could use. Or just use a big brush to apply the gold first.

I shall call him... Rocky I

fJ9kI5X.jpg?1

tHwc9ID.jpg?1

@TS Tenshi They are Horus falcons (in gold) from Ginfritter