Darthain's adventures in not space ships

By Darthain, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Golems always bump hands stock, it is even worse reposed. So i built an elevated base to help, and refoot location them usually. Here is the base for the only needing matte coat jade golem. /Tease

zxiczIP.jpg

What do you use to make that rock base?

7 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

What do you use to make that rock base?

some blue hard insulation board (like for houses) I had in the closet. I then coated it with some epoxy (liquid) to protect it from future superglue, which probably melts it (aerosol/spray paint will melt it as well).

The Jade Golem, would speak for itself, but I didn't paint it a mouth.

80OJ9Bu.jpg

2Tn53UV.jpg

6zZq451.jpg

QGoNj1Q.jpg

And getting the band together

pg7zYup.jpg

I wonder how a Golem would turn out using those fancy Warhammer technical gemstone paints. Do you think it would make for a decent low effort Golem?

That jade golem looks like it'd say 'hulk smash' if it had a mouth. Love how bright you got the colors.

Stunning work! That really cane together nicely. And the little pedestal is perfect for allowing them to fit. Genius!

Unfortunately, my impressionable childhood returns, and, like Jukey, that Jade Golem reminds me of something else. I can't help but think, "Donatello, what are you doing with Leonardo's swords?"

17 hours ago, Muz333 said:

I wonder how a Golem would turn out using those fancy Warhammer technical gemstone paints. Do you think it would make for a decent low effort Golem?

There is a reason why this "paint" is always shown off on gemstones and not larger areas. It is not a paint, it's a thick gel. It doesn't brush on evenly and you don't really paint with it, you sort of put down a drop and spread it over the detail you're working on.

If you wanted nice coverage you'd still need to apply it to each flat surface otherwise you'd get a streaky finish. It would also look the best if you pre-shaded the metallic underlayer and then applied this. Then it could actually have some depth.

If you try to apply a lot of it at once with a large brush, the golem will end up slightly tinted metallic finish with some coloured gunk in the details.

I tried using it on a spare mini just to see how it would look. The result looked more like Slimer flew through it than a gem statuette. And it is a pain in the *** to work with as it dries a lot longer - touched an area by accident? It'll either peel or you'll leave a fingerprint.

It would be nowhere near as low effort as you imagine. Might take less effort to make a casting of the Golem in clear resin :D

Try a mix of little metallic color with your base coat just to give it a slight glint. Use gold in warmer colors, silver in cold colors.

Edit: I I find the slimed up sucker I mentioned I'll post a pic. I think it was the IA smuggler.

Edited by Polda
On 9/1/2017 at 6:02 PM, Muz333 said:

I've got 2 but never tried them. Fortunately Polda has saved us all. You also need to shade/gradient the metallic for those to do good work, I do have some trans paints, but it would not save time/effort apparently.

As far as turtles or hulks, yeah kinda, much less than prehighlight certainly. @Parakitor , cutting himself soon, obviously.

Edited by Darthain
Spell

Did up 4 more cav, 6 max to go (4 will do)

Also did this quick proof of concept ice elf. Want lighter armour shade and darker blue shade on rnd 2. Very quick work, heroes and siege naturally get better treatment. Need to paint up an elf core and start doing demos again to try and build some community.

yLnLQRr.jpg

vbUrNFV.jpg

Some refinement

K5jxcJi.jpg

Super high contrast makes that blue look so vivid. Great stuff.

11 hours ago, Contrapulator said:

Super high contrast makes that blue look so vivid. Great stuff.

That blue is actually really awesome, p3 cygnar blue base + highlight. Shade is their exile blue (with a bit of black added in this case). Really nice blue.

Also, here is a bonus golem base I've been working on. It will have a Polda style blue crystal golem on it, as I love how the purple one came out.

CjZbIoP.jpg

The ground texture is a Greenstuff world temple texture rolling pin. I broke it up to go for ruined building and 'deleted' all the fleur de lis at the rolling stage.

On 9/1/2017 at 5:31 PM, Darthain said:

You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

4 hours ago, ObiWonka said:

You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

He does indeed smash

On 9/17/2017 at 3:29 AM, Darthain said:

Some refinement

K5jxcJi.jpg

I need to send this over to one of our local guys, he was interested in making his Latari army pale gray and blue. I love that shade of blue.

Edited by Polda
5 hours ago, Polda said:

I need to send this over to one of our local guys, he was interested in making his Latari army pale gray and blue. I love that shade of blue.

Yeah, I can't wait to break out the blue on the heroes and maybe cav and put some real effort into it. Make it sparkle as it is a gorgeous shade.

Offsets my black/purple/gold Daqan, for sure. Wish they had a bit mire blue in em, but that'll come through other units most like.

Edited by Darthain

The first 8

BDq6M6o.jpg

Cyg23ja.jpg

Snow bases! What formulation are you using?

23 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

Snow bases! What formulation are you using?

That is some GSW snow flock and realistic snow flock (kind of shiny/sparkly icy snow), as well as some valhallan blizzard (GW), some random white rocks, a white shrub tuft from GSW and some army painter tufts all on agrellan earth washed with VGC cold grey and agrax (gw), and dry brushed with VMC flat earth (panzer line) and that mixed up with some grey I think. I might put a but much work into the earth I cover... And some white rocks I have around.

Tldr: lots of crap, even have 3 other snow flocks haven't tried and forgot my dead grass!

Edited by Darthain

Frost elves! Love it! That's kinda what a unit of Ankaur'd elves would look like :P Totally stealing that if I ever get some.

@Contrapulator I found this online couple of days ago, looks super cool. Unfortunately I have no use for fake snow at the moment https://www.precisioniceandsnow.com/

Alternative:
This is GW Agrellan Earth, painted blue, washed blue, drybrushed with light blue and then white, with the GW snow flock mentioned by @Darthain .

26881752180_e68bafdc68.jpg

How is that Valhallan Blizzard holding up btw? No local stores carry the stuff so I did not get a chance to try that for a frosty look.

Edited by Polda

@Polda a nice fluffy snow look, just spatula it on. Unsure about durability naturally, dead simple though.

Frakin' frak, Darthain... I haven't caught up on this thread in a while.

Just refilled my shame gauge. I need to update my painting thread if I want to seem even half competent compared to all this incredible work you've been doing.

I've been working on too many other stinkin' games.

Edited by Tvayumat
2 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

Frakin' frak, Darthain... I haven't caught up on this thread in a while.

Just refilled my shame gauge. I need to update my painting thread if I want to seem even half competent compared to all this incredible work you've been doing.

I've been working on too many other stinkin' games.

Looking forward to it, I'm glad you appreciate the effort this literal painting newb puts in (seriously this and my Armada are it, I started last year.)

Runewars has been a lot of fun so far, I really enjoy basing apparently. That was new.

@Polda re: ice, forgot to mention aggrellan works year, but it is a bit pricey and doesn't go too far (not sure how many more trays I'll get from it, 2-3?) But for ice I've got a distress crackle paint that is clear. Going to play with applying it over blue and dry brushing edges. Need some still water effect as well.

1 minute ago, Darthain said:

Looking forward to it, I'm glad you appreciate the effort this literal painting newb puts in (seriously this and my Armada are it, I started last year.)

Runewars has been a lot of fun so far, I really enjoy basing apparently. That was new.

@Polda re: ice, forgot to mention aggrellan works year, but it is a bit pricey and doesn't go too far (not sure how many more trays I'll get from it, 2-3?) But for ice I've got a distress crackle paint that is clear. Going to play with applying it over blue and dry brushing edges. Need some still water effect as well.

I use a cheap crackle paint, some blue washing and white drybrushing for a "frozen ground" effect on my Malifaux December crew. Aggrellan is SOOOO overpriced. Basically any crackle paint should work.

9akpfe8h.jpg