Darthain's adventures in not space ships

By Darthain, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Very nice!

1 hour ago, Ywingscum said:

Very nice!

Thanks.

These need a varnish (my first venture into spray varnish) but looking good. Also need to micro sol the decals prior. Micro set is pretty awesome, although it does make repositioning a bit trickier. 32 spears down.

qAgsBdS.jpg

These really look good. I would fell intimidated with those across the table from me. Love the golden eagles.

2 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

These really look good. I would fell intimidated with those across the table from me. Love the golden eagles.

It's coming along, need to assembly line out some cavalry. 8 trays to go...

Started Kari and a command pack to break up monotony though.

Cavalry are probably my lest favorite model to paint. SO MUCH TRIMWORK!!

i only got 2 trays painted of them and 4 more waiting. Not looking forward to that....

2 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Cavalry are probably my lest favorite model to paint. SO MUCH TRIMWORK!!

i only got 2 trays painted of them and 4 more waiting. Not looking forward to that....

I actually liked painting the horses a lot more than the spears.

bVsbEJN.jpg

Le Champignon.

FPFRxas.jpg

Got spears? (3 of 4 shown)

Xjv5XvV.jpg

Nice! Did you sacrifice spear men for that?

40 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

Nice! Did you sacrifice spear men for that?

No, actually. I cut off the sword, trimmed out about 3mm, then used the 'music wire' I bought at a model shop (use it for pinning) as the shaft. Added the cloth with green stuff, and drilled through the hand for the rod.

Well done

Didn't even think of using the blade from the sword as the spear tip... that looks way better than mine. Nice idea. :)

2 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

Didn't even think of using the blade from the sword as the spear tip... that looks way better than mine. Nice idea. :)

To be fair, I had first carved each blade out of plasticard, and it wasn't until I cut the swords off to drill the hand I slapped myself and said 'wait a minute, why am I doing this'.

It's so glorious I decided to do Maro's Magic Bone Surf in purple!

Finished Kari tonight. Banner and wizard to go (then back to some spear modded horses, I made 4 more with verticals!) Thank you Ardus for donating an axe (wait til you see his head!, /spoilers).

szcpIwg.jpg

y5CxpqX.jpg

AMUWLqK.jpg

16 hours ago, Polda said:

It's so glorious I decided to do Maro's Magic Bone Surf in purple!

I need to see this. Glad you are digging it, I know I am.

Was on a frenzy last night. I want to say done besides basing, but I need to improve the wizard fire.

Who can give me a suggestion to make that fire not suck?

Bxit5cX.jpg

DS6E1WF.jpg

Novice opinion: I think the fire looks unnatural because it has too much red and orange, but not enough yellow. The base of the flame should be predominately yellow. The orange will rise up from there, so you're basically highlighting the raised portions with orange. Finally, tips get a touch of red. You would probably want to wet-blend yhe colors so the borders are uneven.

At least, that's what I would try, but your fire looks pretty good. It's definitely better than I could do.

Last suggestion, try adding a glow effect with the fire as a light source. Lightening up the right arm, shoulder, and face will sell the fire more because it will look like it's emitting light. (I tried this with my Sorcerers from Runewars (boardgame) but the effect was too subtle. I tried just dry-brushing yellow onto the exposed surfaces, but I think I needed to actually brighten the surfaces first. I may go back and just put more yellow on so that the entire side of the body is covered in harsh light, but that probably works better for a tiny boardgame piece than it does for a detailed miniature.)

Yeah, too much red did it last night late, I'm going to push harder in both directions, aka to near white and darker tips. More orange, maybe more yellow, that's iffy (angle there is masking a bit)

As far as OSL (object sourcr lighting, aka glow), on this model I'm not planning to add any, more and ethereal flame, not real, no light (that's how I'm selling it anyway).

So needs more contrast. Also re: wet blending, a rather difficult technique to use in my local, too hot or too dry typically,paint dries too fast and I don't have a retarder on hand. A big reason I mostly 2 brush blend.

Edited by Darthain

Here's a quick video tutorial on paining fire: https://youtu.be/gsQHbfD8eoU

I think it's important to paint the entire fire in a consistent gradient from base to tips. You shouldn't have yellow above the red.

Edited by Contrapulator
1 hour ago, Contrapulator said:

Here's a quick video tutorial on paining fire: https://youtu.be/gsQHbfD8eoU

I think it's important to paint the entire fire in a consistent gradient from base to tips. You shouldn't have yellow above the red.

That implies the flame has a base, this is magical fire being conjured from the air itself, not fire burning from a point to another point. Either way, I'll give the video a peak, the whole thing is a bit hard to visualize as the furthest out points, are the high points, which will be the least bright, and the recessses, closest to center, should be the brightest, and I didn't quite capture that. It won't look like a campfire, because it isn't one, but I was a bit heavy handed with the red as well, near obliterated the orange and lost the gradient (also, needs more gradient). I'm just waking up, we'll see if this makes sense later. Either way, thanks for the video

Edited by Darthain

That's fire at the top of the staff? I just thought it was a gnarled piece of wood, and painted it all brown. Oops

9 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

That's fire at the top of the staff? I just thought it was a gnarled piece of wood, and painted it all brown. Oops

I think it is just a gnarled piece of wood and I assumed Darthain was just doing a different interpretation on the design, which I thought was creative and turned out well. The concept art shows some kind of orb stuck between the branches. If I had one of these guys, I would try to find something small, clear, and round to jam in there.

11 hours ago, TallTonyB said:

Its a gnarled piece of wood. You're fine. I just had an idea I couldn't quite bring to life, I do feel I improved it though, but it involved going back to simpler fire than I wanted. I'll finish basing my command expansion today.