Darthain's adventures in not space ships

By Darthain, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

AAAAND we're finally done the command pack. I could not realize my flame with a ring from center out hot spot, so I caved and did a basic, more boring one, that turned out OK I guess, better than attempt one. There just wasn't enough material to build what I wanted out of it (or that's the excuse I am using, better painters than me could surely manage).

QGCwxPq.jpg

Sperars on horses anyone? 10/20 horse down.

56eBdng.jpg

Last WIP for the golem. He needs the purple highlight (final, shading + highlight 1 not shown here) and the sword gems, then basing. And... Something special.

5rdmhFR.jpg

Nice work and your greenstuffed bases look awesome.

So we're done here, not entirely sure I'm happy with the base, there is an area at the front reserved for a wildflower tuft when I buy some.

The Amethyst Golem (or purple crystal, whatever). I added some salt for undead players :D

vYSYSxU.jpg

826I1Sh.jpg

oo4J3CL.jpg

Amazing work! That paint job is stunning.

...and Ardus looks Stunned, to say the least.

HEY! gives Ardus his head back! he needs that!

5 minutes ago, jek said:

HEY! gives Ardus his head back! he needs that!

Not anymore! (Muahahahahah). I had a serious dark streak in that line of thought. Hey, I want to put Ardus' head in a golems hands. Well he is undead, better make sure we all know he is still alive with glowing green eyes.

6 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Amazing work! That paint job is stunning.

...and Ardus looks Stunned, to say the least.

Thanks, it was a very fun one to do. I experimented with 'TMM' (true metallic metals) shading techniques on the swords, effectively glazing down just like NMM, with non metallics, but highlighting up with metals, as I normally would. Game out great I think, and helps the shadowed areas not be shiny (shadows shouldn't be shiny anyway).

Golem is ridiculous....that is just insane man...

I need to figure out where i can cut the arm to move the sword like that. Having 3 models with the same exact pose out of 4 isnt an appealing thought to me.

34 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Golem is ridiculous....that is just insane man...

I need to figure out where i can cut the arm to move the sword like that. Having 3 models with the same exact pose out of 4 isnt an appealing thought to me.

I've done most at the elbows, when I'm back at home I'll snap a pick of my others, unpainted, you can see my fill work clearly.

So I've been spending a bit too much time on Hawthorne. Here is his horse. I only need to shade and highlight the gold to finish it. Find the joke, get 10 internet points.

Man and rider hawthorne need the gold (top to bottom), sword, and wings completed.

o51HOBX.jpg

0NejqCe.jpg

Current state of the Hawthorne. On closer inspection, these pictures are actually terrible, oh well better once based. Added 2 more slightly less bad.

FVOCNyl.jpg

NUOIcIK.jpg

IuQFPJy.jpg

1TMKxvj.jpg

Edited by Darthain

And we finished Hawthorne today. I feel the Runewars miniatures are deceptive, they have just enough detail to allow you to hang yourself. I may have spent a bit much time on Hawthorne. Also, contest still on, what's the joke? (there's a joke on this one, for those savvy enough to find it). I need to go paint a Quasar now so Armada doesn't get jealous.

7MCG4og.jpg

alPLzEv.jpg

HCDOQh1.jpg

HxhSbJ6.jpg

3DaeBFR.jpg

KxVlzu4.jpg

79v1EKV.jpg

jW8ngMk.jpg

Nicely done. I appreciate the purple -- nice to see some on the forces of good for a change.

The rocks on the corner edges of the base look great as well.

Keep rocking it, after Armada of course.

13 hours ago, Blutsteigen said:

Nicely done. I appreciate the purple -- nice to see some on the forces of good for a change.

The rocks on the corner edges of the base look great as well.

Keep rocking it, after Armada of course.

I'd like to know what makes Daqan 'good'. What if I' m annexin all your territory? Then again, it is the same colours as my imperial regiment in Armada, who are the heroes, suppressing galactic terrorists.

3 hours ago, Darthain said:

I'd like to know what makes Daqan 'good'. What if I' m annexin all your territory? Then again, it is the same colours as my imperial regiment in Armada, who are the heroes, suppressing galactic terrorists.

They're considered "good" because they're not undead monsters or demon worshippers.

24 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

They're considered "good" because they're not undead monsters or demon worshippers.

What if the undead are really just haunting your **** for stealing all their land. Or the demon worshippers just doing what they need to do to reclaim the homeland you booted them out of (this kind of stuff is exactly why fantasy is often very boring ?)

That said @Blutsteigen I find the stock Daqan colours pretty abysmal. Full coloured armour is a bit cartoon.

3 hours ago, Contrapulator said:

I was being a bit facetious actually. But, I haven't read the Lore book.

@Darthain -- I agree about the stock FFG colors man. We'll see how you feel about the red and tarnished armor I'm going with for them. Going to be far less clean and hopefully hold a shred of gritty realism.

On 7/14/2017 at 4:58 PM, Darthain said:

So we're done here, not entirely sure I'm happy with the base, there is an area at the front reserved for a wildflower tuft when I buy some.

The Amethyst Golem (or purple crystal, whatever). I added some salt for undead players :D

vYSYSxU.jpg

826I1Sh.jpg

That is one very stompy golem. Have you considered some magical energy in the cracks if you paint another one?

7 hours ago, Polda said:

That is one very stompy golem. Have you considered some magical energy in the cracks if you paint another one?

The first one was full 'energy', something moderate is needed, been thinking about how to pull it off (obviously less to start), but I've been focusing so much on what to do with the rock itself (for example working on a 'jade' golem, I'm sure it will fail), that I've been straying away from magical energy for now to not detract from (hopefully) awesome looking rock. Full energy was bad as it kind of ruins the shading gradient, removing the lowest bit.

Edited by Darthain

After a few weeks of not painting decided to tackle the intimidating idea that is the attempted jade golem. First highlight done everywhere but the legs. It will have 3+ more highlights... Then I can paint the other stuff. Looks a bit incredible hulk yet.

cHAhqdu.jpg

Highlight 2 of 4 planned complete even if translucent doesn't come across as believable, starting to look good.

ZNKKFX1.jpg

Did not at all like the way my NMM gold was coming sk went back to tried and true TMM gold, needs highlighting but is shaded.

wRoJkWH.jpg

hTJxL6S.jpg

Really starting to pop!

33 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

Really starting to pop!

The late night lighting is a bit lacking but the 'jade' came out pretty solid, the rest is familiar territory. Swords, cloths, gems and done not much at all. The rock was a whole lot of work, 4 different highlights and 2 shades later.

Edited by Darthain