Polda's Painting - Shrubberies & Skellingtons

By Polda, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

2 minutes ago, Darthain said:

With these 15 colours, you to can paint like me, with lots of practice.

*22, thank you very much (some didn't make the picture).

I am sure I will remember what I used for what on the other 3. Not gonna forget at all. They will all look the same. Not a hint of difference.

Edited by Polda
4 minutes ago, Polda said:

*22, thank you very much (some didn't make the picture).

I am sure I will remember what I used for what on the other 3. Not gonna forget at all. They will all look the same. Not a hint of difference.

I get it, my '5' colour basic elves use 13 pots/products... My lazy daqan are only 9 though.

We don't talk about heroes... Especially mounted ones. We will also ignore all mixing.

Edited by Darthain

Progress update:

OxOCQ2I.jpg

pU3lwfQ.jpg

WRsfEKm.jpg

About 1000x nicer than the single figure contest winner right there.

Amazing! How did you do the sword?

1 hour ago, Urvogel said:

Amazing! How did you do the sword?

Polda has a bottomless bit box :D

17 hours ago, Darthain said:

Polda has a bottomless bit box :D

Not anymore. Thanks Runewars. :D

@Urvogel managed to get some badly painted Menoth units with fancy swords and shields (Warmachine)

That's one down, three to go.

FdsAb9F.jpg

3gVX5Zc.jpg

8YJlOEY.jpg

L7hhYSU.jpg

Is that a satin finish on the Equius cumir's coat, or is that highlighting? It looks so good! Like a real horse!

1 hour ago, Parakitor said:

Is that a satin finish on the Equius cumir's coat, or is that highlighting? It looks so good! Like a real horse!

Subtle highlight and a weird color mix (Black, Bugman's Glow as a base, then the same with a small amount of Vallejo Brown Sand and a some glaze medium added in).

Some of the brightest spots are likely reflected light.

Edited by Polda

Here's something stupid.

I took one of the heads I swapped on a Lancer and attached it to a wire.
51WewdI.jpg

Then I took the left arm of a spare Ardus body. I cut off the entire forearm up to the elbow. From this piece, I removed the fingers and the palm of the hand, keeping only the armor over the knuckles and the arm.

I attached a hand from I think a Bloodletter? (trading bits or ebay shopping for sprues is useful) to this and drilled starting at the palm all the way through the other side of the arm.

T6XoKUJ.jpg

2RpALk6.jpg

On the DK's body I made the same cut at the elbow. The parts align surprisingly well.
A hole was drilled into the middle of this cut for obvious reasons.
bDvxb7G.jpg

Using the wire with the skull at the end I attached the new hand and Ardus gauntlet to the DK's stump.

gQwEVxb.jpg

Covered the wire with some greenstuff (putting a clump of it at the palm and stretching and twisting it all the way up to the skull - keep your fingers wet while doing this si they stick to the greenstuff less).

28PGiod.jpg

And finally after letting the green stuff set I covered it with some acrylic gel (Vallejo Water effects), this will eventually shrink to look like messy, tiny flames adding some additional texture to the greenstuff body.

72V7bj5.jpg

So yeah... did that.

What happened to 'and the others will just be painted metallic'. :D

8 minutes ago, Darthain said:

What happened to 'and the others will just be painted metallic'. :D

I meant the gold and silver trim on the armor. But thanks to a temporary lapse of sanity (and a weekend freed up for painting) I am doing some lazy NMM on all the horses.

Weapons swaps were never out of the question :D

I've found if I have to paint a sculpt more than say 4 times, I lose all interest in Painting it really nice, so your tenacity is admirable. Need to base elf archers 17-24 and start 25-28 (8 at once was a bit nuch drudgery). Roll on 40...

Super cool idea. I'm interested in seeing the final painted result for sure!

Also, now I need to give Maegan lightning or something... Thanks....

On 11/9/2017 at 0:12 PM, Darthain said:

I've found if I have to paint a sculpt more than say 4 times, I lose all interest in Painting it really nice, so your tenacity is admirable. Need to base elf archers 17-24 and start 25-28 (8 at once was a bit nuch drudgery). Roll on 40...

Why do you think it took me months to do the Reanimate capes? And I still haven't painted my remaining box of Archers :D

Meanwhile, this is coming along nicely.

LeVPOOp.jpg

xsfytPy.jpg

Edited by Polda

Shiny weapons, yay.

dR9Mcrh.jpg

eIGwUxw.jpg

kmWNDGw.jpg

QtHVpYt.jpg

Fancy pic of the Death Knights for a certain contest.
BG8S0Cx.jpg

Edited by Polda

Done with Waiqar painting until Wraiths come out, WOHOOO!

DwNsXDl.jpg

PUGqKok.jpg

g9znrP1.jpg

iGLWF79.jpg

CKED4Bt.jpg

7RJSbFw.jpg

R7HljUd.jpg

ArqZdXW.jpg

9EKV5vp.jpg

JbVTG2W.jpg

s2vzhX3.jpg

4UTSKYQ.jpg

AixMOSg.jpg

fJ5bsxl.jpg

ntChQrh.jpg

1Q1B4z7.jpg

A small Uthuk Y'llan force for 125 skirmishes coming soon...

Hax.

Amazing work...attention to detail and your mods are fantastic.

47 minutes ago, Adun42 said:

Amazing work...attention to detail and your mods are fantastic.

Seconded!

The Uthuk Y'llan are finally here so I quickly put together four test schemes.

The one on the left is out. Washing white surfaces is a pain in the backside. I kinda like the one on the right as it is the absolute easiest to paint. The middle ones are more fiddly but have that demonic feel. yW31AI2.jpg

I love the molten look! Very creepy :)