Polda's Painting - Shrubberies & Skellingtons

By Polda, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Hi all, since everyone else is doing it I am starting a painting thread. Yay!

We played two games yesterday and I am set on playing Waiqar. A buddy of mine will be taking the Daquan.

Stay tuned for some skeletons and me learning to make terrain pieces from scratch (I only ever built a Citadel Wood kit as a backdrop for some minis on my shelf - this will be our forest piece).

This should be a fun journey.

Let's get started. 13398413_1928821607344760_1571019634_n.j
13422947_130529764035160_876412392_n.jpg

Edited by Polda

I like it. Beautiful drybrushing on the stonework matches with the static grass.

Those trees are fantastic. Really nice job on the base and flocking

Got a cheap brown polyester blanket and two paints - a leaf yellow and ochre yellow. Rubbed them into the blanket with a large brush and then combed after each application.

Now we have 90x180 cm grasslands! :3

84Dtdbv.jpg

e9IYWRa.jpg

RPYI1My.jpg

3tkzjrR.jpg

o37wwEM.jpg

Edited by Polda

Started messing around with reanimates in Photoshop. I like the last one the best, so that's what I am going for.

yp3xpzm.jpg

xpqknRm.jpg

PDXEFXI.jpg

Du3YFuy.jpg

Thanks for sharing Polda! I especially love how that blanket turned out.

First batch of skellies look horrifying but that would also be an absolute nightmare to paint.

Last one look ancient, which is perfect for skellies.

What did you use for the grasslands mat? Or is it purchased?

1 hour ago, drkpnthr said:

What did you use for the grasslands mat? Or is it purchased?

It is a polyester fleece, 150x180 cm medium-dark brown blanket from a department store. I then purchased a 125 ml tube of leaf green acrylic paint and a smaller bottle of ochre yellow. Probably go for a larger tube. I ran out almost exactly as I was done with the green. Also, a textile marker or a sharpie to mark your player edges.

With a large brush I put some of the paint down onto a piece of cardboard (my palette) and then rubbed it into the blanket randomly. After each application, immediately comb it roughly with a fine comb to spread the paint better and separate the strands of fabric that get stuck together by the paint. I reapplied another layer of green where I wanted the grass to be lighter. Don't try to be uniform.
To finish it up I did the same with the ochre. When you look at grasslands there is more yellow than you'd think so put a bit of the yellow paint randomly all over the browns and greens. Then do some really bright yellow spots. Remember to comb immediately after you spread the paint.

Some clumps of hair will come out, so have a vacuum ready for when you're done.

With the fleece this is all you need to do. Do make sure you get a dark brown or a dark green fabric. It's difficult to get the paint deep into the roots. Other colors will show through. Brown does as well a bit but it looks kinda natural.

If you want to go fancy and you can get some faux fur which has each individual hair strand more defined. Fleece is more clumped together.
You also have to shave faux fur down. This is important as you need the dials to stand on top of the mat.

We played on the fleece today and if you push the dial down into the fabric a bit it won't fall over.

Here's a helpful video about using Faux Fur.

Edited by Polda

Yeah, I've been eyeing that video for a while wanting to do something similar with a short, cheaper fabric. Your mat looks about the perfect length I wanted to achieve without ruining a hair trimmer to do it!

Test of a the Waiquar scheme. Tried to make it as simple as possible by using metallics so I don't have to highlight much.
Now to recreate a fabric color similar to this armor for the archers.

xzdsYfx.jpg

I'd not seen that concept for a gaming mat before, neat! Plus, at 6x3' you're all set for a nap if you finish your game early :) .

OMG your forest looks amazing! fantastic work

Ditto that's some seriously impressive terrain!! :rolleyes:

Edited by TronMan

Battle of Blanketfield. The matt works great, had to roll dice on one of the terrain tokens though.
Since our FLGS has tables with metal rings where you can screw in the legs, we used magnets to snap the blanket around the table. Hasn't moved an inch during the entire game.
The trays slide over it nicely.
Dials sometimes fall over (facedown so no worries) - we need to push them into the fabric,

eFwFQWt.jpg
1xD5rz6.jpg

6swLaKV.jpg

CdpL1AY.jpg

68Qk4on.jpg

NAIxf4w.jpg

Final Scheme kIZz5Jb.jpg

I really like how the armour has turned out. Very nice. Great scheme!

Weekend progress. Ardus, 32 reanimates. Still need to do a lot of drybrushing on the armor pieces, transitions on the capes and glowing eyes.
After that it's Archers and Lancers.

QfUg8bq.jpg

mRrAI5I.jpg

6Enfel4.jpg

On 4/19/2017 at 5:46 AM, Polda said:

Hi all, since everyone else is doing it I am starting a painting thread. Yay!

We played two games yesterday and I am set on playing Waiqar. A buddy of mine will be taking the Daquan.

Stay tuned for some skeletons and me learning to make terrain pieces from scratch (I only ever built a Citadel Wood kit as a backdrop for some minis on my shelf - this will be our forest piece).

This should be a fun journey.

Let's get started. 13398413_1928821607344760_1571019634_n.j
13422947_130529764035160_876412392_n.jpg

Just imagine an Aymhelin Scion hiding in those trees...

Pippin: "Look, the trees! They're moving!"

The camera doesn't quite capture the metallic sheen of each colour

fQtXF7Uh.jpg

JJF3OV1.jpg

cFIkTaz.jpg

Looks amazing!

On 25. 4. 2017 at 10:54 PM, Ywingscum said:

Looks amazing!

Thanks! He was a joy to paint. Best model in the game.

Updates :
- Still need to finish one Party Worm.
- Archers are done but I did not snap a picture yet.
- I will likely take a break and work on some rock/barricade terrain pieces before putting more work into the army (highlighting, stringing the bows with 0.25 mm nylon thread, gradients on all the brightly coloured fabric)

Seeing great jobs like this and others on the forums, inspires me to do a better job on mine. I'm still working on the reanimates. I did also spray the rest of mine.

Keep the updates coming

As ever Polda, you are an inspiration to us all.