Polda's Painting - Shrubberies & Skellingtons

By Polda, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

That orange and black one is definitely the best!

The one on the far right is the best in my opinion. The third from the left reminds me of some of your Waiqar colour scheme.

The fourth one to me looks the most natural, I can't help but feel the middle two look like Demonic Gimps. :lol:

Edited by Zaaik
1 hour ago, Zaaik said:

The one on the far right is the best in my opinion. The third from the left reminds me of some of your Waiqar colour scheme.

The fourth one to me looks the most natural, I can't help but feel the middle two look like Demonic Gimps. :lol:

Added value - the gray/yellow one is just primer and three colors. Two of which are just spikes and the head tattoo thing.

Either on the right, I'd probably go rightmost though. Agree with Zaaik about the gimps ?

Edited by Darthain
2 hours ago, Darthain said:

Either on the right, I'd probably go rightmost though. Agree with Zaaik about the gimps ?

@Zaaik

I got lazy and did not washes/highlights on the skin just left it as shiny as it ended up after basecoat :D hence the gimp look.

The one with firey glow should be mid-gray, the purple would have muted shading (adding lighter gray to the purple) as thay helps the more vivid glow color pop.

Edited by Polda

Ok, test models re-primed. Everything else got a coat of primer too and there were two minor tweaks to the Thresher and Ravos.

7IjmCVD.jpg

5 hours ago, Polda said:

Ok, test models re-primed. Everything else got a coat of primer too and there were two minor tweaks to the Thresher and Ravos.

7IjmCVD.jpg

Hellboy?

5 hours ago, Polda said:

Ok, test models re-primed. Everything else got a coat goat of primer too and there were two minor tweaks to the Thresher and Ravos.

On 12/5/2017 at 5:55 PM, Polda said:

The Uthuk Y'llan are finally here so I quickly put together four test schemes.

The one on the left is out. Washing white surfaces is a pain in the backside. I kinda like the one on the right as it is the absolute easiest to paint. The middle ones are more fiddly but have that demonic feel. yW31AI2.jpg

You forgot the silver around the mouth of the one on the right. “Witness!” needs the mouthspray.

So this kinda works.

YFkVHDg.jpg

Skull caps are a neat touch, your blue NMM style weapons are getting legendary.

7 minutes ago, Darthain said:

Skull caps are a neat touch, your blue NMM style weapons are getting legendary.

I swear I can do other colors :D With the Waiqar and now the Orange Uthuk this bright blue combo works best.

I think I might do four different crystal colors on the 'Zerkers though.

Edited by Polda

Remember the sound of no one believing you? :D

3 hours ago, Darthain said:

Remember the sound of no one believing you? :D

Shut up. It got really cold. :D

The base scheme is kinda simple, USN Ghost Gray primer washed heavily with Nuln Oil for the skin, XV-88 washed with Agrax Earthshade for the cloth. And it looked good enough after just those two colors. But you know... I tried the whole mineral growth thing on the Witch and things got out of hand.

TmwqaLG.jpg

Edit: also a new foamcore paint rack to keep me organized

Edited by Polda

That is insanely fast.

12 hours ago, Darthain said:

That is insanely fast.

Just like the Uthuk in game

Did anyone else notice the Thresher is missing a piece if the tongue in his left arm-claw-hand-mouth... thing?

I sure didn't until now *facepalm*. It looks like a clean cut too. HOW IN THE F...

Edited by Polda
On 12/11/2017 at 6:38 PM, Darthain said:

That is insanely fast.

And good - amazing color scheme.

and modded...well that piece of a tongue was from a run in with an elf, a little lore.

"But you should see the elf!"

;)

@Adun42 yeah, once I finish painting and highlighting the sucker I will likely paint it as a fresh wound.

Speaking of

HrX44SO.jpg

G1ciFfa.jpg

AtjBJPo.jpg

VUTJbWH.jpg

uDUcQKn.jpg

7skU8aM.jpg

And now I have an Uthuk army for regular play at home vs the Waiqar.

Oops.

You painted an entire Uthuk army in the time I've been painting Maegan. Hah.

Yes.
cIFzG56.jpg

Base coating was stupid easy with the Uthuk (both 'zerker and Flesh Ripper groups were done in an evening each).

Now for weeks of slow highlighting and other nonsense.

Also they are fun to play with and against.

Edited by Polda
On 12/18/2017 at 4:06 PM, Polda said:

Yes.
cIFzG56.jpg

Base coating was stupid easy with the Uthuk (both 'zerker and Flesh Ripper groups were done in an evening each).

Now for weeks of slow highlighting and other nonsense.

Also they are fun to play with and against.

How many hours do you think it takes from start to finish on an army this size?

... I ask because I think i am a slow painter.

@Kruger40k if you paint every figure to completion before moving to the next one, I am the wrong person to give you an estimate :D

After I very quickly primed everything (my primer color is my Uthuk's skin-tone as well) I had two evenings of about 4 hours, painting the Flesh Rippers, Berserkers and Spined threshers. This was mostly just painting XV-88 on the fabric and blue on the weapons as a base for future effects. Afterwards a wash of brown on the fabrics and wash of black on the fleshy parts.

Then I did the bases. This got the army to a state where they look good enough on the table while we play, and now I can get back to it here and there and start painting the spikes, mouths, tongues, highlight the skin and fabrics, paint the reflections on my crystal weapons etc. That will take a while. Can't tell you how long that will take.

I think the second army set was much faster, so 6-8 hrs for two army boxes if you're good with not highlighting them right away and only painting the most important parts.

My Waiqar took months but maybe it was far less since I just wasn't working on them all that much during summer/fall.

Edited by Polda
1 hour ago, Polda said:

@Kruger40k if you paint every figure to completion before moving to the next one, I am the wrong person to give you an estimate :D

After I very quickly primed everything (my primer color is my Uthuk's skin-tone as well) I had two evenings of about 4 hours, painting the Flesh Rippers, Berserkers and Spined threshers. This was mostly just painting XV-88 on the fabric and blue on the weapons as a base for future effects. Afterwards a wash of brown on the fabrics and wash of black on the fleshy parts.

Then I did the bases. This got the army to a state where they look good enough on the table while we play, and now I can get back to it here and there and start painting the spikes, mouths, tongues, highlight the skin and fabrics, paint the reflections on my crystal weapons etc. That will take a while. Can't tell you how long that will take.

I think the second army set was much faster, so 6-8 hrs for two army boxes if you're good with not highlighting them right away and only painting the most important parts.

My Waiqar took months but maybe it was far less since I just wasn't working on them all that much during summer/fall.

That is crazy how fast you paint... i am just slow XD

So far i take 4 berserkers of the same model and paint them until they are done and then paint 1 command unit until it is done as a reward lol

Edited by Kruger40k