54NCH32 IA Paintworks

By 54NCH32, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

rebel.png

Jarrod Kelvin:
Great to paint, no tricky to reach bits and decided to mix up some nice oranges for his main body. Finally spent some time highlighting this guy, almost added eyes, but still (even with mag glasses), I decided to avoid the trouble ha!

JARROD.jpg

- - - - - - - -

- Planning on making a stand in for J4X-7 at some point. I don't do tokens ;)
- Its sunny, so I primed as much as I could this morning!
- Checked out a local wargames convention/bring and buy and picked up some random minis for NPCs / token stands ins.
- I think Ashoka is up next (get me warmed up for Mauls tattoos!)

Edited by 54NCH32

It's Wolverine!

On 2/4/2018 at 12:22 PM, Indy_com said:

It's Wolverine!

Hey bub

26 minutes ago, Rogue Dakotan said:

Ha! Yes, I totally should have pointed Indy your way, loved your Monsieur Logan paint up

Ahsoka is done, pics up tomorrow, Maul doesn't seem nearly as daunting now! And the mag glasses more than payed for themselves during the freehand parts

Edited by 54NCH32

rebel.png

Ahsoka Tano:
I almost most pushed her to the back of the queue again to do something easier, but this week I finally got round to tackling the ex-padawan. A wee bit fiddly, but very rewarding to paint, and as mentioned, the magnification glasses I bought, helped massively when it came to the freehanding. My hand can shake occasionally, so they really helped me get a level of detail I didn't think I was capable of (and the directional light/torch on the end, really helps painting during the evening - where my main light source is behind me). Looking forward to painting Maul, but for now `I'm thinking Drokkatta is up next.

ahsoka_final.jpg

- I just may have used about ALL of my paints at some point while painting her! (Including mixes etc)

- Just thought I'd give a shout out to Steve the Unknown Trooper who I bought at a carboot sale years ago, he's had the dubious honour of being a paint / shade / technique guinea pig thought a lot of my paint ups. *salute*

Screen_shot_2018_02_10_at_10_21_28.png

Edited by 54NCH32

Very well done. I like the darker approach on her.

And yeah, Mr. Testmodel is important to have nearby.

That's a fantastic job! Really well done!

Managed to finish off Drokkatta over the weekend. Went with a darker wookie fur this time. Will try and get a proper pic up soon.

drokkatta_1o.jpg

- Also ordered a bunch of "Modern Adventurers" from Hasslefree Minis. Stumbled onto some great minis of a few of my favourite geek characters. Can't wait to paint them.

- Off to Amsterdam this weekend with an old buddy of mine, so looking forward to getting out of the UK for a few days

- Also mulling over the idea of stripping some of the core heros down and repainting them. I looked through the other day, and really want to give them another go!

Edited by 54NCH32

rebel.png

Drokkatta:
Another fun one, and hella quick compared to Ahsoka! Decided to go for a darker wookiee fur base this time, and dry brushed up to zandri dust. Decided to add a casing colour to the grenade launcher, plus some metal scratches here and there on the armour pieces and launcher. Mixed up a dark green glaze for the googles, and spent some time pin washing the lines to create better definition in places (especially on the leg pouches where some of the mould lines were a bit shallow and didn't take enough of the camo shade), found my flow highlighting the pouches, and again the mag glasses really helped immensely. Really pleased with this one. Ko-Tun up next.

DROKKATTA.jpg

- Still anxiously awaiting my modern adventurer minis, looks like hasslefree have had a busy one, plus i'm away to Amsterdam for a few days, so a nice present to myself to look forward to when i get back :)

Edited by 54NCH32

So Amsterdam was awesome! ha. Even managed to pop over to nearby Utrecht for the Star Wars Identities exhibit. Very cool.

Gathered the group for some gaming tonight, but one can't make it for the campaign, so we're finally gonna try the app this eve, thought I'd get crafty with some balsa and make a pad stand for the app...

stand.jpg

Also did a bit of painting last night, (although *hangs head in shame* not IA related) finally finished off a Colonial Marine I started months ago! just thought I'd share here (I even did some eyes on it!!!!)...
COLONIAL_MARINE.jpg

In the queue, I've got Ko-Tun plus the Jabba heroes primed and ready to go and got some base coloured Tau gun drones to finish off (for droid / NPC stands in etc).

On ‎10‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 11:25 AM, 54NCH32 said:

Ahsoka Tano:
I almost most pushed her to the back of the queue again to do something easier, but this week I finally got round to tackling the ex-padawan. A wee bit fiddly, but very rewarding to paint, and as mentioned, the magnification glasses I bought, helped massively when it came to the freehanding. My hand can shake occasionally, so they really helped me get a level of detail I didn't think I was capable of (and the directional light/torch on the end, really helps painting during the evening - where my main light source is behind me). Looking forward to painting Maul, but for now `I'm thinking Drokkatta is up next.

ahsoka_final.jpg

Well done! This mini can be quite intimidating to paint, even for an experienced painter. I like how neatly you've applied the paint, and how you got all the colours right on her - many people use colours which are a bit off here or there, but yours are spot on, with one easy to fix exception: Her leggins should be a dark brown with a slight tint of red maybe, according to the colour references provided by Filoni. I always use these colour references when painting my minis from REBELS, because it's rare that we get precise reference material for any Star Wars story set in the era of the Original Trilogy, although I also exaggerate some colours slightly, because we're dealing with miniatures here, which need to pop a bit on the gaming table. But this is just a minor teeny-tiny nitpick - you did a great job on your Ahsoka! :)

Edited by Fourtytwo

4 hours ago, Fourtytwo said:

Well done! This mini can be quite intimidating to paint, even for an experienced painter. I like how neatly you've applied the paint, and how you got all the colours right on her - many people use colours which are a bit off here or there, but yours are spot on, with one easy to fix exception: Her leggins should be a dark brown with a slight tint of red maybe, according to the colour references provided by Filoni. I always use these colour references when painting my minis from REBELS, because it's rare that we get precise reference material for any Star Wars story set in the era of the Original Trilogy, although I also exaggerate some colours slightly, because we're dealing with miniatures here, which need to pop a bit on the gaming table. But this is just a minor teeny-tiny nitpick - you did a great job on your Ahsoka! :)

Cheers! She is indeed (intimidating), it had been a few months since I painted, so needed to "warm-up" a bit before tackling her.

Ha, yeah, the many references I gathered seemed to fluctuate between brown / and what appeared to be purple looking leggings, so I went with Rule of Cool, and decided to match them up to her body armour (plus I've already painted enough brown/light brown trousers on my minis) :) But thank you for the praise, it's good to be painting again, `and I'm really happy with the quality I'm getting now - the mag glasses especially, have really helped me up my game! (I've even toyed with the idea of getting another core set to repaint, but that's madness!)

rebel.png

Ko-Tun Feralo:
Again, loving the new sculpt detail, and another one with minimal hard to reach bits. Thought I'd add a splash of colour to her and utilise some more of my transfers for her bag (the symbol is a stylised "D" from some spare lettershapes on the sheet, turned on its end, I originally had a backwards "K" with looked a lot more Aurebeshy, but accidentally ruined it during application).

Pic is a bit grainy due to low light (seeing as it looks like Hoth out there at the mo, which I am loving, if not making me pine for a snowboard trip though!).

Just the Clawdites (primed) and AT-DP (not primed, *looks out window* not likely to get primed soon!) to go.

EDIT: Oh s**t and Maul of course!

EDIT 2: Photo retaken (better light today - its now sunny as h**l??)

KO_TUN_FINAL_2.jpg

- My modern adventurers arrived from Hasslefree Miniatures, they look awesome, in the pack lots of some geekdom hero lookalikes, plus "Mystic Kev" who will be painted as the baddestassest Mace Windu. He a bit smaller than the IA minis, but will definitely do.
SF120%20Mystic%20Warrior%20Kev%20composi

- With the many Jedi minis I know have, started to get the beginnings of a Jedi Horde mode idea in my head. Muhahahaha *lightning strikes*

Edited by 54NCH32
20 minutes ago, 54NCH32 said:

Pic is a bit grainy due to low light (seeing as it looks like Hoth out there at the mo, which I am loving, if not making me pine for a snowboard trip though!).

Pretty much all of England looks like Hoth right now... unless you live in an urban area overlooking forests, then it looks like Starkiller Base.

The painting looks really great!

6 minutes ago, Indy_com said:

Pretty much all of England looks like Hoth right now... unless you live in an urban area overlooking forests, then it looks like Starkiller Base.

The painting looks really great!

Cheers man!

Yeah its nuts, me and 2 colleagues trudged into work this morning, sent home around 3pm, and then 5 of us trudged back home!

Hopefully a proper snowday tomorrow, so I can squeeze some more painting in ha!

Image result for mandalorian  logo

Clawdite Shapeshifters :
Decided not to paint up the spare, originally planned to do something simple (grey with flash of colour) for these guys and knock them out quick, but ended up going for the full colour schemes on each, and spent some time highlighting them (couldn't leave those coats with no highlight). Also used a heated pin to create some blaster barrel holes.

CLADITE_FINAL.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Neat. I really dig the orange one. Strong coloring!

Image result for mandalorian  logo

Maul :
He's done! He's been sat primed since October taunting me haha. Again, great sculpt, nice and open, and once the jump into freehanding him was made, quite a fun one to paint. The most freehand I've ever done on something, really happy to have him finished (Pretty sure I said "f**k yeah!" after I finished the face tattoos.

One to go! (AT-DP)

MAUL_FINAL_1.jpg

MAUL_FINAL_2.jpg

- Primed the AT-DP the other day, left him unglued to ease painting, but accidentally dropped it as I was about to prime him, resulting in a shattered chin gun. I picked up some new tools lately, including a pin vice and some tiny drill bits, so I'm gonna rebuild it with some spare bits and wire.

- Also decided to add some more highlights to the Grand Inquisitor while I waiting for Mauls Ink wash to dry.

Bit of a detour from the AT-DP at the mo, while I paint up some of the Hasslefree stuff (One as a thank you gift for our other games DM - a Bill from L4D mini), also currently working on this guy (that I'll defo be working into a custom mission at some point...)

mace.jpg

Looking very good so far! :)

Mace is done! Will get a better pic this weekend, planning to take some Jedi and Sith group shots, and hopefully try and get the AT-DP repaired and painted.

MACE_WINDU.jpg

- Picked up a load of modelling kit over last few weeks, including a Dremel 3000 and some tiny drill bits, so I'm gonna go back and reinforce some of the core set heros with some extra base pinning.

Edited by 54NCH32

Just thought I'd take some Jedi and Sith group shots (and an excuse to post a decent pic of Mace).

JEDI.jpg

SITH.jpg

MACE_FINAL.jpg

- As you can see, Mace is a little smaller than the IA guys, but was a fun mini to paint up.

- Return to Hoth penultimate mission and finale this eve! (So I better get cracking on the AT-DP!)

- [NON IA] Spent a bit of last night and this morning making some custom bases out of polymer clay (for the HS minis), was the final bit I needed to complete Bill for our Zombies DM... fun to make, really enjoyed creating the base from scratch with a few texture tricks etc

BILL.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Fixed up the AT-DP chin gun, use a piece of clipped cotton bud / q-tip for the front part of the gun shaft (as this bit shattered lengthwise and simply gluing it back together again was not an option), stuffed it with blu-tak to hold it in place, tried green stuff but it was a bit hard to drill the centreline through it.

Drilled through all and "kebabed" it all together with a bit of paper clip. Drilled the end in a bit to make a gun barrel hole, and filled the back gap with some green stuff. Should look good as new once primed :)

AT_DP_GUN.jpg

Just a quick shot of Hera in progress (yes, I got sidetracked from the AT-DP again!).

Picked up some army painter brushes, as my other mix & match ones were starting to get a bit grotty and lose bristles, Well worth the order so far :)

HERA_WIP.jpg