54NCH32 IA Paintworks

By 54NCH32, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

rebel.png

Loku Kanoloa:
Here's Loku from Saturday's sesh. Nothing too fancy, just aiming for decent table quality to get us back in the game. Decided to picked up some camo shade ink for this guy, wanted a nicer green shade rather than the earthshade/nuln mix I used on the Rangers.

loku.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

He look good. Now I want the Hoth expansion. :P

Cheers man. Yeah, I couldn't resist it and the extras, finally get to play through after Twin Shadows (during which I'm hoping to have time to finish the Snowtroops, Wampas, HK's, Tank, Echo Troops and Leia!!!).

Managed to put Twin Shadows on the table on Wednesday and looks like we're gonna finish it off this evening with a double sesh, added ancient lightsaber in so one of my players (Diala) can have insane OP jedi fun for the mini campaign. At the end of it, I plan for Diala to have Diala injured and captured by the imperials to lead into a custom 2 part scenario.

Had planned to do this at some point, but decided to accelerate my plans to bridge the gap between TS and the next big box, Return to Hoth, to give me time to finish painting the last few bits for it!

So I'm throwing together, what will likely be a heavily DM'd 2 part mission, chucking in all the fun stuff I can think off, wave attacks, reinforcements, turrets, rockets launchers! All very WIP at the mo, hoping to finalise the planning by next week, but thought I'd upload some picks, seeing as I also built a few props for it, enjoy ;)

[SIDE NOTE: HOLY C**P! Just found out about photobuckets hosting ransom, will be transferring to an alternative image host when I can!]

Drop Ramp: Basically a prop for the entry point for the heroes, will also be used in the narrative as escape point etc, and as a assault boat for troop reinforcements.
drop_pod.jpg

Turrets and Scenery: The final wave of Part 1 will rely heavily on these bad boys...
19756741_10159121099490171_8472410697616

Here they are with some extra bits of scenery (a few quickly done moisture vaporators). 19756671_10159121099545171_8325862383278

Part 1: The heros will seek intel on where Diala is being held, a quiet mission until they reach the rebel base and meet Gideon and crew, when a full imperial attack will descend. Defnd the base, then run for the shuttle, then some crazy turret blasting action while the shuttle preps for launch,

map_1.jpg
Part 2: Under the cover of darkness, the heroes will assault the imperial facility. Sections being reveled as they explore, some goodies to be found, and a surprise attack from the Grand Inquisitor! They all sorts of mayhem as the dropship returns with reinforcements to get our crew out and hold back the Imperials and the Jedi Hunter.
aAh5bE.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Image result for mandalorian  logo

HK Assassin Droids :
I painted up the regulars quickly for a skirmish game a while back, and finally got the Elites ticked off last week :) Photo was a bit rushed, but here ya go...

(UPDATE: Re-shot pic)

HK_FINAL.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Also had the thought to take a pic of my makeshift background studio...

scene.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Great job on the painting and the scenario look fun but my God that drop ramp ams turrets are incredible! Amazing.

Thanks Etheneus,

I kinda went on a tangent while designing the mission, and just decided to go ahead and build some stuff (had been a while).

Just balsa wood, cocktails sticks and superglue! :)

Absolutely love the figures and your very creative builds. All that from just balsa and glue! Are you creating your own campaign\skirmish games? If so that is absolutely brilliant mate!

I have been busy painting away myself (two sets of each box, what was I thinking) and I have started work on my 3D skirmish map of the Death Star. I am having a bit of time working out the elevator . Using a system that will look similar to your assault boat that will slide out of the back of the elevator and slide in to the next level which will be catwalks so the lower level is accessible. (worked out a combat system for ranged attacks) Going to be a very large build at least twice as big as my Bespin 3D map.

Tattooine build will be next. Working on buildings and found a papercraft AT-AT that will fit nicely. Again cheers and I look forward to more brilliant work to come.

Cheers man. Yep, writing a one-off 2 part mission to fill the gap between campaigns (just finished my Snowtroopers, just the wampas, Tank, Echo Troops and Leia to go for Hoth to be ready for the table), think I may well create some more in the future (we've been running a many year homebrew zombie RPG cherry-picked from different games, so I totally see myself writing some more homebrew missions down the line). It'll be heavily DM'd by myself, but should be crazy fun :D

Finished part 2 of Twin Shadows (Rebel Win, but a nasty Imp victory in there on Canyon Run) on Saturday eve, I had the heroes narratively climb aboard the drop ramp after the final mission, only for an elite Jedi-hunting Imperial unit (tying it into their failed attempted to rescue Obi Wan in "Deadly Transmissions" in the first campaign) to jump in and blasting Dialas lightsaber, causing her to get injured and fall into Imperial capture, setting the scene for "Prisoner of Circumstance" Hopefully to be played next Saturday, (I'll be painting the Inquisitor over next few days ready for part 2 of the mission and have started writing the narrative). They all seem very excited about the mission after I explained whats going down.

Two boxes of each? Yikes (just saw you painted up 8 tuskens! I almost quit after 4!!!). Nice, loving the idea of a 3d map, saw the builds you've done so far, keep up the good work!

Edited by 54NCH32

small_image.jpg

Snowtroopers :
Full steam ahead for finishing off RoT minis, here's the troops, blitzed them quick factory line style. Wasn't sure if I wanted to gloss the armour of not, but I'm thinking they look ready to hit the table, while I divert a bit of my attention to finishing The Grand Inquisitor for the part 2 mission this evening (and some more 3d scenery, thinking I might do some modular walls for our games).

SNOWTROOPER_2.jpg

small_image.jpg

The Grand Inquisitor :
Finished this guy off this week, and finally got round to printing off a background at work. Picked him up cheap months ago, so glad to finally have him finished. He'll be playing a mad surprise role in the custom mission.

- Painted the eyes over the lower eye lids (as well as the recessed areas of the eyes proper), as, from a distance, its hard to make out his beady little eye holes, this helped emphasise them a bit. Gave them a direct Carroburg Crimson wash (which kinda gave his upper cheek the bonus of looking a bit bloodshot in the macro pic, but you can't see this for hell at table distance haha!).

- Despite dreading it a bit (had been a while, plus two blades!) it was fun painting another saber, still got the technique down so managed to finished it off pretty quick. It was also a lot bendier to start with, heat sorted it out for the most part, but still a bit of a kink to it, which I'll sort another time.

- Didn't go too mad on the highlighting, (plus I hate highlighting Black!) Couple of bits I missed (red glow on the grey trouser) so may go back and sort later, but good enough to hit the table for now :D

- - - - - - - -

- Also printed off a suitable background for Saska, so will try and get a shot of her up soon - I'd forgotten,

- Echo base troopers are in progress

GRAND_INQUISTOR_FINAL.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Oh man he look great!

20 hours ago, Etheneus said:

Oh man he look great!

Cheers, pretty happy how the freehand on his face tattoos came out. Only minimal retouching, after holding my breath and just going for it with the tiniest d*mn brush I have ha!

rebel.png

Saska Teft:
Another one that has been sat for months in base coat. Decided to go full-on red with the hair as a tribute to the long suffering missus (her is VERY red, just ask the grouting in my poor bathroom! )

SASKA_FINAL.jpg

rebel.png

Echo Base Troopers:
Burning through the hoth stuff. These guys we're a bit fiddly in places, (glad I bought a new fine brush recently!) but really pleased with the final result. Should have maybe spent more time de-flashing some of the mold lines, but I was too impatient to get painting haha.

Echo_Final.jpg

Image result for mandalorian  logo

Wampas :
Smashed these guys out mostly in a couple of hours last sunday. Quick but quite fun to do.

WAMPAS.jpg

small_image.jpg

BT-1 and 0-0-0 :
Bit of a break from the Hoth stuff (only the tank to go!) to paint up the murder droids I bought the other week. Loved these guys in the comics, so was cool to see them added to the roster.

- - - - - - - -

- Just waiting for our group to get together to play out my Twin Shadows epilogue/ save the jedi missions (hopefully saturday).

- Also sent a bit of time on the weekend coming up with a mad horde mode idea (which will be a nerdtastic crossover utilising the Xenomorphs from the cheap AVP: Hunt Begins core set I picked up recently). Created some cards and a round upgrade system for 4 elite stormtroopers, who will be boarding a drifting ISD, and discover that is far from deserted! - Haven't let the group in on what they will be facing, but hoping it should be a great laugh! (Will post rules and artwork once we've had a play through of it at least once)>

BT_0_0_0.jpg

Your droids look absolutely wonderful. Really loving the idea of a Storm Trooper story line. I wanted the same thing but I ended up creating a card for the Republic Commando Troopers: Boss Fixer Scorch and Sev. I found the Wizards of the Coast miniatures once repainted fit in nicely. I chose traits and abilities from other cards to make a super 4 man roster. I put the deployment cost at 20 which I know is kind of high but when you look at the card I think it is appropriate.

Only have a handful of SWIA figures left to paint. I customized one of my Biv Bodhrik to give him Scariff trooper paint scheme on his arm and have been seriously considering giving a Storm Trooper squad of 3 a Scariff Trooper paint scheme based off the Star Wars Battlefront game. I really like the mix of colors on those troopers. My thought was to leave the helmets standard white but like these Rogue Troopers modified their uniform from pieces from fallen comrades. Kind of like the original canon on how Boba Fett pieced together, modified and improved his suit. Keep up the amazing work.

rebel.png

General Leia:
Finally got round to painting the ultimate bad@$$ princess. Thought I'd go with a more universal colour scheme, rather than just Hoth based.

LEIA.jpg

small_image.jpg

Repulsor Tank:
Woohoo, Hoth is done, just waiting for the group to find the time to get started (and whether or not we want to play the custom missions). Kept this one pretty simple, base colours, a dirty wash and then a few blaster marks and slight weathering.

REPULSOR_TANK.jpg

- - - - - - - -

- We played the horde Xenomorph horde mode, great success, seemed pretty well balanced, and the guys really enjoyed it. Will try and get the cards, map and pics up when I can.

- So Legion looks awesome, think I much prefer the more social / narrative aspects of IA, but I may well have to pick this up, even for the minis alone (which may come in handy for some epic scale custom battles, although the question mark of the scale may be an issue, still, looks great).

- Picked up Hera and Chop, so they are up next, and about to pull the trigger on Heart of the Empire pre-order.

Edited by 54NCH32

Cheers on finishing Hoth. I have finally completed my collection just yesterday. Over 260 miniatures later I am finished for now. I will have two Heart of the Empire boxes coming and one of each Hero/Villain pack.

Looking forward to Legion as well. Actually working on building a Tattooine table top that will cater to Legion. Finally got a Detention Block floor created that I am happy with and started printing all of the Death Star decals. I will adjust this build so that it will be playable in a SWIA custom campaign but will also fit in with Legion scale.

Bit of a hiatus lately due to work and not much freetime (last few weeks have been mad with work, freelance and helping promote my missus's business), but hopefully post up the following very soon (when I get the time!):

- Aliens Vs IA custom horde mode assets and Bat-rep
(the group really enjoyed it, seemed reasonably balanced).

- Custom mission Part 1 - Bat-rep

- Chop and hera (I've got as far as de-flashing and a white base coat!)

Plus finding the time to get Return to Hoth going and patiently waiting/hoping that some Heart of the Empire goodies arrive in the next couple of weeks!

Edited by 54NCH32

I love that you have got a group to play on your custom campaigns. Looking forward to some more posts from you as your figures look amazing as always. You know with Legion coming out those pieces you have built would make some nice terrain. any thoughts on diving into that game?

I will admit I have been making terrain for 3D maps originally intended for Imperial Assault but my Death Star/Imperial Space Station will look so much better on a more massive scale for Legion and I wont have to work out all that 1x1 gridwork.

I think I'm very likely to pick up the core set , if not for the miniatures alone. The game looks cool, but I much prefer the co-op / group aspect of IA campaign, I was heavily into Armada, and did even go to a few tournaments, but 1vs1 competitive while fun, the narrative aspect of IA felt more involving to me. Yes, I'm lucky to have some friends who want to play, but then they set me back down this mad path of miniatures and RPG gaming :)

Edited by 54NCH32