54NCH32 IA Paintworks

By 54NCH32, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

rebel.png

Obi Wan:
(Fully intend to go back and add some more highlighting to his robes at some point, but want to crack on with the rest of the queue for now!

C4_OBI.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Got the chance to pick up our groups Core campaign again. 3 more missions played (New Threat, Homecoming and Fly Solo). Good laugh, Rebels 2 Empire 1. Hope to continue soon.

[IMAGE LINKS LOST DUE TO PHOTOBUCKET RANSOM]

Edited by 54NCH32

Got round to the Royal Guard Champ, Biv and Boba last week. (still in process of rebasing Boba at mo) and built a few bits of extra scenery

rebel.png

Biv Bod hrik:

B_7_BIV.jpg

small_image.jpg

Royal Guard Champion:

5_GUARD_CHAMP.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

With first campaign in full swing, been busy trying to get a few more minis sorted. (Having also picked up Twin Shadows and Hoth! haha)

small_image.jpg

Heavy Stormtroopers:
Went a bit quick and dirty with these guys (Core troop flashbacks again!) I used a lighter nuln (with 60/40 Lahmian Medium) mix, straight onto white primer (after dark grey details) and just tidied them up a bit here and there. I thought, these guys have been in the desert / take a lot of heavy fire, so didn't mind them looking a little rougher than the core troops :)

1_STP_HEAVIES.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

rebel.png

R2-D2:
Another quicky. Nothing too special, colours on white primer and a wash, with a small bit of gloss for his beady little eye. Job done. Thought I'd snap him with combat refit 3P0 as well. Don't have a custom base flat enough to mount poor R2, so may come back to that down the road. Good enough for gaming needs for now! (My rebels have pulled their side mission up next, so thought I'd better crack on!)

C5_BOTH.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

small_image.jpg

AT-ST :
And Finally! The beast is done as well. Tacked it over the course of a few weeks. Mostly following Sorastro's guide, intended to add some more highlights, but pretty happy with it at this point (and was eager to get him done for to get on the board all painted up this time!) Grey primer, heavy celestra grey drybrush paint, small bit of lighter grey dry brushing and a good washing (and holy hell was that messy!).

10_WALKER.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Amazing work. Great job on all of your figures.

I noticed most people like to apply dark wash their Stormtroopers. It think it looks good and it fits in with the overall painting theme or style.

I chose to go all out White with a High Gloss finish on mine no washes were used except for weaponry. In the films and in the Star Wars Battlefront game they give the Stormtroopers such a shine to the armor I just had to go with that look.

I am not knocking that look I just cant see "MY" Stormtroopers any other way. To compensate and break up the white troopers I created a wave of Dark Troopers. (Grey armor and Black detail) and Shadow Troopers (Black armor and Silver detail) for all troopers except Snowtroopers. I even created an Elite squad of The Emperors Royal Guard in Black Robes with a Red visor and an Elite Squad of The Emperors Royal Guard to match the Royal Guard Champion. (I have two sets of all Box sets so one set gets the Expanded Universe paint job treatment.)

Any way keep up the amazing work. Cheers.

Cheers C3P0!

After the core box troopers (primed, washed, then repainted whites to give line definition then a gloss varnish for shine) never wanted to do it again! (It took forever! really pleased with em, - they were the first 28mm I'd painted in almost 15 years - but yeah, thought I'd use a quicker diluted-wash technique to speed things up on the heavies, with a pretty close result).

Nice, I kinda wished I had done a different colour for my Guard elites, black sounds cool.

My painting and games are on hold at the moment, (Currently in middle of moving house) but updates soon I hope (I'll finally have my own mancave in the new place, so gonna set myself up a proper painting corner! Complete with swish display case I just picked up nice and cheap, no more dusty minis! woo :) )

How did you create the terrain pieces? They look really cool!

On 18/05/2017 at 7:49 AM, burek277 said:

How did you create the terrain pieces? They look really cool!

Cheers :) They were mostly made out of varying thicknesses of balsa wood sheet, sprayed dark grey and a quick drybrush of light grey for definition (with a few details here and there cut from thin plastic). The crates are D6 dice with thin balsa panels super glued on. (Only tools I used were a scalpel/craft knife, superglue and a metal rule).

Edit:

Ah yes, heres a pic of unpainted and painted :)

making.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Been a bit of a hiatus on the painting front due to moving house, but it's all done now. The new place will also mean a second bedroom (read: nerd cave) for me :)

Still full of boxes at the mo, and still need to track down a good desk, but the awesome secondhand display case I found turned up yesterday.

Goodbye dusty minis :D

cab11.jpg

cab1.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Woohoo! My desk finally arrived (after half of it getting lost in transit!) So nerdcave is finally taking shape!

[IMAGE BLASTED BY PHOTOBUCKET IMPERIALS]

My current "to do list"...
(oh yeah and the rest of the Hoth set - snowtroopers, wampas 2 HK's and the tank)

[IMAGE BLASTED BY PHOTOBUCKET IMPERIALS]

Edited by 54NCH32

So many stormies!

2 hours ago, burek277 said:

So many stormies!

Yeah, I have "a couple" :D

Edited by 54NCH32

I am back on it! woohoo.

The nerdcave's desk area is all set up, so I finally got back to my painting. Really nice to finally have a dedicated area to paint, no more hunching over the corner of the coffee table while the girlfriend rolls her eyes, and plenty of decent light. Great to finally start attacking the paint queue :D

(The part of the room you can't see is still full of boxes, but feels good to have my desk set-up finished and making the new flat feel like home).

desk.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Image result for mandalorian  logo

Tusken Raiders :
First up were these little buggers. I had painted most of the base colours, but got frustrated after doing the bandolier on one of them and gave up, 2 months later, they are finally done! Feels good to have them done, felt like they were taunting me all half painted in the case haha. Plus it means I',m finally ready to get Twin Shadows on the table (just some finishing touches on Kayn Somos to go!). But if I ever have to paint another one of these guys, it will be too soon!

Tusken.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Image result for mandalorian  logo

Boba Fett :
I actually finished Boba a few months ago, he was standing around waiting to be re-based. But have put re-basing any more figs on hold until I get my hands on a mini drill (due to a few stand break-offs during the campaign on Han and C3P0 in particular).

So I slapped some black on his base and added a few finishing touches in the way of weathering and battle damage to the armour. Really happy how he came out (he took long enough!)

boba.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Great work sanchez, I envy that cave. Even though we are both painters here, we simply don't have room for a dedicated place.

6 hours ago, aermet69 said:

Great work sanchez, I envy that cave. Even though we are both painters here, we simply don't have room for a dedicated place.

Thanks, great to be back on it. I know, I feel very lucky, there was no room in my old flat, (the deal with the new place was the missus gets the big double wardrobe, I get a nerdcave!).

Edited by 54NCH32

small_image.jpg

Kayn Somos :
Completed most of Kayn a couple of months back, but he's been sitting around waiting for his orange shoulder pad and base. Another tick towards getting Twin shadows going. Nothing too special, standard quick inked stormie technique (wanted to get to the more interesting stuff :D)

kayn.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

rebel.png

MHD-19:
This week, I'm working my way through some extra unpainted heroes for selection for Twin Shadows (MHD-19, Verena and Loku). One of the players an expressed interest in playing medic and likes droids, so MHD-19 was first in the queue.

mhd.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Very nice color scheme on the MHD!

rebel.png

Verena Talos:
Burning though my unpainted heroes now. A fun one to paint, Loku is next up this afternoon :)

(Also decided to try out a new background technique for my photos, utilising my macbook screen and a shiny A4 notebook cover I picked up in the poundshop)

talos.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Nicely detailed, I like how you made the headpiece very small and barely visible. One of my rare issues with Sorastro's videos was her headpiece, which just seemed to dominate her head. The eyes seem like they could use a little work, but maybe that's just the camera. The shirt is also a beautiful color!

Cheers :) She was a fun one. I was dreading all the straps and details, but having a decent desk set-up has greatly improved my speed and accuracy (not to mention the fantastic light the room gets most of the day).

Ha, well early on, I decided a firm “no eyes” policy (unless its a special character/ alien etc). Painted too many “derp eyes” back in my warhammer days, (Always hated doing them as well). So I decided to avoid the issue by sticking to a house style that ignores eye detail completely.

Edited by 54NCH32