54NCH32 IA Paintworks

By 54NCH32, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Almost done, just noticed I've forgotten the chest armour gem!... (pic is a bit yellow, due to crap lighting). Hope to finish and get a decent pic up soon.

On 5/13/2018 at 6:40 AM, Fourtytwo said:

The tribal markings on the armour plates are a neat idea!

Thanks! First thought about just adding some Mando symbols on the thigh armour, but then stumbled on the idea of gilding all of the armour with a pattern (although I may have made the darker metallic a bit too dark). Hope to get a decent pic up asap

It works really well. One of the problems with Shyla, I found, was that she was too single-colored. You solved that in a beautiful way.

Cheers. Yes, that was it, I wanted to do something different with her, great sculpt, but kind of boring in the colour dept.

I saw someone paint her yellow and black (which looked awesome, but a) I've already done a few orange/yellow-grey/black combos lately b) I'd already made the jump into painting her jumpsuit blue by that point (I did not plan Shyla out as much as Vinto etc.).

I freehanded a couple of practice Mando skulls for the legs on a test model, but wasn't feeling it. I wanted to push myself into trying out something new, so I sketched out a simple symbol made from a few lines (The main part of the thigh armour pattern, sort a backwards "S" made of two parallel lines) which naturally evolved into a pattern I could apply across the armour plates.

Pretty pleased how she came out. Just gotta try and finish her armour gem this evening.

Edited by 54NCH32

Image result for mandalorian  logo

Shyla Varad :  
All done :) Pretty happy with the final result, as mentioned previously was looking to push myself to do something new which resulting in the armour gilding. Much breath holding on painting the gem! (as I had already varnished). Onar up next (at some point!).

SHYLA_FINAL1.jpg

SHYLA_FINAL2.jpg

Edited by 54NCH32

Been bit of a gap on IA stuff at the moment while I finished off these two... (which got a like this morning from Nick Frost (Ed) himself, so I had a geek moment at that haha!)

Just thought I'd share my extra-curricular (to IA) activities, as I modeled the bases from scratch. (which has left me keen to maybe start sculpting some additional IA scenery)

- Also been busy reinforcing some of my older re-based IA stuff in preparation for a possible skirmish tourney in August :) (try snapping off your base now Han!)

- I've started work on Onar, hopefully up in a week or so (after I get back from holiday, as I assume the missus won't let me take any mini's to paint with me!

- Had a massive Heart of Empire campaign sesh on Monday (got my brother down to take our spare character slot), managed to smash out 4 missions, with Maul making an appearance ;)

- Saw Solo, thought it was good, if not a bit predictable and forced in places, but a decent addition to the star wars library :)

Modeled bases look great mate

Hi all, been a bit sidetracked with some other projects (needed a break from smashing through IA stuff), but finally got a start on Onar...

Been a busy couple of months, but bit by bit, I finally got base colour down on Onar, shading and highlights in progress...

He's done! Just did a bit here and there over the last couple of weeks (after starting in early june!), and finally went to town this weekend finishing him. Will post a nicer pic soon, for now here's a link to this afternoons work.

Onar Koma :  
Been tackling this guy bit by bit, so it seems like it took forever! (and kind of did) A lot of work, those under arm bit were a b***h to get too, but highlighting stage was good fun on this one. The buckle at the back got a bit mangled when I dropped him a few days ago, just glad he didn't land on his face.

ONAR_FINAL.jpg

Found some time to paint this weekend, So trying to get my Gamorrean Guards done as quick as poss. Shades all done finally! Prob pick up the highlights this week.

Piggies done! Will get a proper pic sorted soon...

Lothal arrived last week, so I thought I'd better catch up with Jabba's Realm (also start of our campaign for that is coming)

Gamorrean Guards :  
Tried to knock these guys out as quick as poss. Kinda wished I'd done pupils, but I just wanted this lot done ;)

IMPERIAL_ASSAULT_GAMORREAN_GUARDS_WIDE.j

Weequay Pirates :  
Again, tried to do as quick as poss, but thought I'd at least do a small bit of freehand for marking up the elite versions.

IMPERIAL_ASSAULT_WEEQUAY_PIRATES_WIDE.jp

- Just the Rancor to go, but keen to get my Deathtroopers done first (which have been primed and ready to go)

Edited by 54NCH32

Nice Weequays. Reminds me of some older Genestealer cult type model.

Decided to get my deathtroopers ready for the table. Nothing amazing (as I hate(!) highlighting black haha) so a quick job, Black base coat, drybrush with Vallejo German grey > Dawnstone, a nuln wash, and then details and some quick edge highlighting. A better non-iphone/dyinglight/sideofdesk photo up soon! ;)

Edited by 54NCH32

small_image.jpg

Deathtroopers:
Here we go, better pic of these guys, can't wait to get them on the table :)

IMPERIAL_ASSAULT_DEATHTROOPER_FINAL_WIDE

Edited by 54NCH32

Spent a bit of time this eve brain-storming an initial Mission path for a home-brew campaign for my group.

It'll encompass using IA plus some of my Armada stuff and some good ole fashioned D20 rolling.

Character progression > Overarching story > Ship upgrading (which will also serve as home-base > Space battles > Horde levels > Random mission events (Light and darkside) > Varied mission objectives etc etc.

All very pipeline stuff, but the guys are up for doing this at some point. So thought i'd chip away at piecing it together when i get spare time here and there.

Screen_shot_2018_09_15_at_01_02_36.png

Nice ? I’m personally using my amateur excel knowledge to make an RPG involving IA and X-Wing.

I really like designing missions so far ?

Mega keen to get the Spectres and the rest of Lothal painted up, but Jabba campaign is coming up next, so playing catch up. Just Rancor, Terro and Jabba to go (I finally gave in and picked up T and J for the campaign).

Decided to layer drybrush straight onto light brown primer (despite the primer being called No.29 "Dark Brown"?) for the dewback skin. Want these last few done quick as poss, but think it worked quite well. Just working on the rest of the base colours on this guy now.

DEWBACK.jpg

The dewback looks so cool. I like the earthy tone transitioning into the vibrant green. Can't wait to see it finished.

small_image.jpg

Captain Terro:
All done! The drybrushing on the skin worked out well in the end, I'll prob use a similar technique for Jabba and Rancor who are up next.

Terro_final.jpg

Managed to find some time to get Jabba knocked out this evening, the drybrushing worked well and quickly. Just varnishing, gloss parts and base tomorrow (weather permitting!) Here's some in progress...

Edited by 54NCH32

Jabba just before finishing. Very windy yesterday, so no spraying of primers or varnish, but here's a pic from yesterday in better light.

Edited by 54NCH32

About Jabba: Best eyes ever!

The rest is great to but the eyes the best

Edited by Etheneus
Autocorrect