Beyond the Wall: E-Town, The next generation

By Fat Bob, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

Yeah the E-Town thing makes it vague. It's a way of making the city sound "hipper" than it is.

I can't speak for most Edmontonians, but I'd have thought Warp since it's the only place I've found that carries Thrones. Warp is open later on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. I think until 8 on Wed and Thurs, and 9 Fri. In any case, Mission in St. Albert has some as well although how well stocked they are I have no idea.

Alternatively you can always buy online.

Warp 1 and 2 both have good selection. I picked up a core set and 3 of the expansions. For anyone interested in legacy cards though, All-Star at Capilano Mall has A Flight of Dragons and (I think) A Crown of Suns, and Wizard's on 109st and around 87ish ave has Winter Edition starter packs. Funny!

Anyway, if anyone in Edmonton wants to have a game, I'd love to! My transportation options are a little limited because I'm recovering from a broken ankle, but I can get rides or take cabs to most places. I'm itching for a game! Only problem is I could mostly use legacy cards, but it could still be some fun (am willing to use other decks as well, or share legacy decks or whatever cards I have).

I was thinking of trying to get a tourney going sometime this summer. But casual play is my short term goal; I haven't even USED my core set yet! If anyone wants to play, post here or shoot me an email ([email protected]).

Wow, great to hear from one of the original meta players. I agree about starting with casual play. It will take some time for people to get back into fully legal card pools and we shouldn't discourage players. We have usually said that players should know what is unfair or broken in casual play. Stormlands Tourney Ground with full jousting CBK Davos is a far too poweful build out of that core set rotation. Use whatever cards you want, but keep an eye on how impossible it would be to defend against out of the build. Think Promo red Viper. Warp is currently the only store that is fully supporting GOT product in Edmonton that I know of. That makes it the best place to go for cards at this point.

For deciding on what cards to focus on after the core set, I would probably focus on the 60 card fixed starters because of the increased number of usable cards. any of the 40 card starters will probably come down to one or two cards depending on what builds your going to start with. That might be a better trade/share situation. Generally, dave, fatbob, and myself are fairly good about sharing resources.

I don't know if you remember Miguel, but he is still around and plays casually as well. We could get him out for some thrones for sure.

Miguel still plays?! I'm pretty shocked actually. Miguel, Greg, and Eric were the first people I played outside of my group. I remember running into them one day at Wizard's just after A Sea of Storms came out, and we ended up putting an event together and finding 2 more playgroups. But yeah, I'd love to play with anyone, sooner rather than later! I'll send you guys my phone number; feel free to gimme a shout or text sometime soon to get some games going! :)

Edit: apparently you can't send private messages in this forum (or if you can, I'm too forum-illiterate to figure out how). But yeah, shoot me an email. Tell Miguel too if he still has my number it's the same, and he should give me a shout (I might have theirs somewhere, too). Don't really wanna post my number on a public forum, but I'll give it to you guys over email or whatever.

Hello All,

I think Father's day is on June 19th. Could we check and see if people could be available to play GOT on that afternoon. I will make it my FD present to play Thrones on that day. If we get enough interest I will contact Warp 1 and try and book a table in advance. Let's get organized.

I can probably play for a bit that day, but would also like to do something with my dad. Would this be a tournament, or casual play? Also, would we be able to use Legacy cards? I can probably generate a little more interest if so.

Father's Day might be good for me if I can make it out. I fractured my ankle last week and am impaired right now so it'll depend on how I'm feeling and whether I can get a ride or not. Either way if you can arrange something ongoing I'll definitely be a part of it eventually.

Don't worry man, I'm a cripple too (broken ankle as well!). I might be walking by the 19th though, my surgery to remove my pins is on the 6th. I'm sure we can accomodate it though..

I have a few friends interested in potentially playing the day. Has anyone tried to get ahold of Miguel, Greg and Eric yet? What about Aaron, Adam and James?

Spoke with Miguel last night. He and Eric say they can make it. They are rocking some excellent current decks. We might all want to spend some time thinking about deck building. However, I don't think we should worry too much about competitiveness. This will be a chance to get some casual thrones in and start building a meta again. Has anyone got confirmation from Tom.

Warp 1 guy said that we don't need to book a table for that day. Not much competition for space. They open at 12 so let's try and start playing around 1. I will plan to be around for about 3 or 4 hours depending on players and availability. It looks very viable at the moment.

I'll talk to Tom as soon as I can and see if he's game. As far as myself, I have an MRI next week, and we'll see from there, but right now my ankle is pretty messed.

Also if I show up, no one can use Valar in matches against me because that card is as lame as I am, and nobody should use crutches if they don't have to, which is a bit confusing because in this metaphor, Valar is both lame and a crutch.

I spoke to Tom and he seems up for it as well. My ankle situation is a circus, but the good news is I'm hobbling around in an aircast so will hopefully come out for some games.

Everything looks positive for the 19th. Except my decks. My cards are in such disarray that I know I am missing key elements to make them competitive. I can't imagine playing them against the most annoying martel control deck ever made. The most annoying martel control deck ever made of course would be Dave's. The second most of course would be every other martel deck. I am going to try and put together something interesting and different, so don't expect Bara power rush.

Thanks Chris, you flatter me. Unfortunately most of those tricks are gone, so I'm making due.

Also nice try with the feint; you're totally bringing Bara power rush. But since there's no turbo Davos superstar tourney grounds, you'll have to play your other signature deck: Bara weenie rush.

I think I can make it. I'll be on crutches too, most likely (cleared for weight barring on my ankle this week, but I still have stitches in), so don't feel bad about the hobbling! No promises on not using Valar. :P Also, if anyone doesn't have a viable deck I have 6 or 7 decks currently assembled (with at least one of all the houses except Martell) that I will probably bring. All are theme decks of a sort, and anyone who played against me a couple years ago will probably recognize a couple of them.

Likewise I'll have a couple decks if anyone needs one. So Sunday at Warp 1 at 13:00 it is.

If MTP or anyone else not already chiming in is still checking the boards, and is still interested, hopefully you/they can make it as well. I'll confirm with Tom as well this week.

I will be there tomorrow. I have confirmed with Miguel. He didn't say if Eric was still coming. I think that it will be awesome to play some thrones. I couldn't find Sheldon's phone number anywhere. It would be nice if he could make it, did anyone try? Otherwise it will be nice to meet Matt and reconnect with martel control decks and crazy stark kill. Valar Tomorrowus.

I have no contact info for Sheldon but yeah it would be cool. Tom is out of town for the Calgary comic expo or whatever and sends his regards, or contempt, I forget which, but I'll be there, and possibly will have a friend show up as well. Hope you all don't mind, but my plot deck is all Others plots from the ccg, and five of those are Winter Has Come. Valar Nomoreplease.

So games were cool. Apparently someone was there during our multiplayer matchup who bought a bunch of LCG Thrones. Jas and Matt, the guy working at Warp, both suggested they could stay and have a game, but I guess he said he had to go but him and his two friends would stop by next time if we were playing.

Hopefully we can round up some more local players and start up a league or something.

I'd be down for that. Too bad those other players didn't come say hi, exchange contact information for our next gathering. I'm down almost any time people want to play, btw. Heh.

Well on Sunday I've got offers for VTES at a friend's place, or San Guo Sha and bubble tea... I would just as well play some Thrones at Warp again if enough people were game. If this weekend isn't optimal for more than a couple of us, I'm still going to swing by to post this website's forum and add an email contact in case anyone new is looking for a local group.

Either way let's try and get another game sooner than the six months Chris made a "joke" about.

****, wish I'd checked the boards earlier than now. Would have loved to have played today. All I did was play like 5 hours of inFamous 2 trying to kill a hangover. :P Gimme a text or a shout any time you want to play, even if it's during the week. I'm still rehabing from my ankle, and the only other person in my play group that still has his original cards just broke his wrist this weekend, so he'll have a lot of downtown the next week or so too. Or if not, definitely down next weekend.

Cool, how about next Sunday then since my Saturday is full? I've got another friend who wants to try Thrones, so that would make at least four if your buddy is game. We could do 12:30 or 1:00 again. I tend to check the boards more often since I'm browsing around the Lord of the Rings LCG forums as well these days but you can also text me and let me know closer to Sunday if that works.

I see no reason not to do Sunday. I have another friend trying to get into the game, and one who just built his first deck and wants to play if he doesn't work Sunday. 1 PM is also good for me.

See you on Sunday then. Got a couple more people coming as well most likely.