Beyond the Wall: E-Town, The next generation

By Fat Bob, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

Mill is interesting. Are you playing a dedicated Raider deck? I tried building a full out mill deck but kept eating it due to their low strengths against Stark due to Grey Wind and Shaggydog and high claim military. I can only imagine what a nightmare Targ burn would be to play. I've been finding Greyjoy isn't as good as I remember back in the day but it's probably because of a slightly lower card pool. Also because I don't want to buy three sets of Kings of the Sea at the current price point.

I am probably not playing it as a strictly legal deck in the current state of the game. At the end of the Next Act meta, we had a sort of loose agreement about card legalities that didn't follow the tourney rules exactly. Sheldon wasn't keeping up with the cards and the core set was too limiting. The guy that works at Warp and plays thrones doesn't seem to want to play the tourney legal format. I think I might buy a core set and some expansions and have a draft tourney at my school. That way i won't have to worry about legalities and a group of students will get new product to be excited about. I am not sure how this would work exactly but I thought with four players, I could get one core set and four chapters packs. I think that would get me enought of a card pool for a draft tourney. Then maybe we could have enough of a player field to get Warp to host a tourney.

Just try to stick to four chapter packs in the same cycle so you don't have people getting stuck with cards with useless keywords or lack of support and cohesion. I have to admit early on, the chapter pack distribution was a turn off for me since I like the collectible aspect of ccgs, but the game is good, and the card pool right now is solid. It's too bad Warp guy doesn't like it because if you play with an extended format, you and I are going to be breaking the game like mad. Surely you remember that I rock at the game? How many tourneys in a row with the same deck, and that was in block format, not to mention making a guy quit the game over frustration? To this day, that is still my biggest accomplishment in gaming of any sort.

That was pretty impressive; although, it might bring on another anti-martell rant. Have you checked out the sand sisters lately. So sick. I think I will preregister the players and then buy and appropriate amount of core set boxes. With any left over money, I will buy four of the latest chapter packs. That makes for nearly 240 cards with only four players. That is more than adequate to get new players started.

I hope you had a good holiday. I haven't been to Warp in a while, so I haven't made much head way with the organized play idea. I will definitely keep you posted and I hope by introducing new players it might make the decision to host a little more obvious.

Yeah I splashed the Sand Snakes into my Martell control deck, but honestly, aside from a bit of synergy with each other, they don't really add anything to the deck. Without enough support, they also don't contain the components for a complete deck, so they'll probably come out soon. The uniques only give blanket keywords, so with no printed actions and no special cost to strength and icon ratios, they rely too heavily on mass board advantage. There's too many choices and the Sand Snakes aren't the best options for their cost bracket.

In any case, hope you had a good New Year's, and yeah keep me posted on any league or tourney play happening.

Thanks Davy for pointing me here.

Hello to fellow E-Towners, I am new to AGoT but have been playing it at work with the core set and am looking to get into some deck building and games with anyone interested, especially if I am not the one needing to supply all the cards! I have a odd work schedule and 2 young girls that keep me BUSY X 10, but would love to get in some games and get into the deck building aspect.

Hey games would be cool. I've got an irregular work schedule and a young daughter so I know what it's like to not have as much time. I was hoping Hoser would set up some kind of game time or league play, but barring that since he has disappeared, I'll let you know when I have more time for some casual games and we can arrange some matches. I'm also lethargically trying to get another old player Fat Bob, back into the game so who knows. Maybe we'll have a meta again but it's been a while since all the old crew from the ccg era is either gone or just returning now.

Hey,

What a cool day. I was wondering if I would ever legitimately play GOT again and check the boards. A new player and Dave putting in some effort on meta development. Good Times. At this point, it is very hard to set up a game time knowing that both MTP 302 and Dave have hectic work schedules. This is also my coaching season which makes time for GOT tough until early May. Perhaps, we should post days and times that would most work for us in terms of playing and see if we can coordinate. I think we could get some league play going at Warp 1 but we might need to borrow space on a Saturday from the Yugioh crowd or beg them for space on a Sunday. Do either of those days work? I will put the leg work in if we are serious about playing and Fatbob comes back to the Meta. I also know that Miguel was still playing so maybe he is available, what about Sheldon?

I'll talk to Fat Bob/Tom soon and see if he's up for a game as well. Cool that you're still around though. If either of you (MTP/Hoser) are up for a game sometime, my Saturday and Sunday afternoons are probably best bet rather than weeknights (although randomly I could be free), but even then either Saturday or Sunday changes on a week to week basis. Play space is the other issue really although aside from tourney weeknights, Warp should have space... otherwise I'm open to suggestions like U of A, or Mission in St.Albert, or whatever.

Where is Warp located? I frequent Mission F&G and know they run open game nights on Fridays and have the EBGL there as well along with a Pokemon league and in the past Munchkin and Magic nights. Who knows maybe AGOT league could go as well, they have tonnes of space.

Warp is on Whyte Ave. and 99th street? 97? Mission would be fine for me. I've been playing L5R there occasionally on Saturday afternoons at around 2-2:30 and they seem to always have table space, although it could be because something like Pokemon is finishing up at that time. This weekend is not good for me, but if you are free the weekend of the 2-3, I would be good. Friday night open gaming might work, but usually doesn't... .

I am currently on March break, so I was getting up kinda slow. I found a GOT card sitting on a counter and started thinking about the possibility of a sick infinite combo. I am pretty sure it won't work but it got me excited to play. I leisurely started checking all of my usual internet haunts and on a lark thought I would finish with the ffg boards. Now it seems like things are starting to move. The weekend of April 1,2,3 might be possible but Friday night is already out. Also, are we going to play fully legal decks? My cards are in complete disarray and it will take some time to get organized and figure out how to make a competitive deck in the current field. Keep me posted.

ps. Fatbob? is he in?

pps. Has anybody had any contact with the lady of winterfel...

Well next Saturday I'd be good to meet up at Mission since I'll be in the west end in the morning. We could see about gaming there if there's any tables. Not sure if you need to reserve ahead or anything since I'm used to just dropping in when a friend of mine tells me to show up. Any ideas?

I'm cool with you not playing legal decks, but at the same time, just check the legality maybe and try and shape it as close as possible so you don't cheap me out with any broken.

I spoke with Tom and he'd be down for games when we finally play, although for the moment he'd be running one of my decks, since he hasn't fully decided to get back in full force yet. I don't know if he ever checks the board here though.

Hey Dave,

Got message. this weekend is too busy, but I am excited by the idea. I was in warp yesterday and they seem to think that sunday would be possible and cheap if not free. I think we should shoot for the weekend after the 8-9th of April. That would give me time to get my cards organized and try to play legal cards. keep me posted.

Gotta check the boards more often. This was my last weekend off, my work rotation is going into weekends for the next 6 weeks. I am definitely in for any planed dates if I am off though, I will log in more frequently. Question, are legal cards those from the LCG not including the banned ones or are CCG's also allowed? Tx

I guess I need to actually get some of the chapter packs and put a deck together then, huh?

Maybe some sort of 5-house control deck. gui%C3%B1o.gif

MTP 302 said:

Gotta check the boards more often. This was my last weekend off, my work rotation is going into weekends for the next 6 weeks. I am definitely in for any planed dates if I am off though, I will log in more frequently. Question, are legal cards those from the LCG not including the banned ones or are CCG's also allowed? Tx

Well hopefully we'll organize some kind of games soon, and then post here, so whatever you can make is cool. Legal cards are those from the LCG not including the banned ones. CCG versions of cards that appear in an LCG printing are legal provided they have identical text to the LCG printing of the card.

Also Fat Bob, don't bother with five house control decks. Stick to what you do best: make horrid Targaryen decks that lose every game. The new Targ box will have plenty of cards for you to use in the most ineffective manner.

I had some good success with a Targ ambush deck back in the day. I don't know if they still have the mechanic or not.

I'm sure you will dust off that old, imba Greyjoy deck anyways cause I know you still have it tucked away under your bed. You pull it out from time to time, blow the dust off and have a laugh as your flip through it. Each card an unbalanced mess stained with cheeto finger prints and the tears of those it drove from the game. You love GoT and wish to play, but you also hate the game and wish to destroy it.

Everything you say is true except the Cheeto fingerprints. While I enjoy Cheetos as much as the next gamer, if I could play my entire deck sleeved in toploaders, you know I would. Also Ambush is still aroundish, as are all the keywords. I don't recall them being used overly much though in new packs.

Games when the snow is gone and winter is over in Edmonton? Perhaps by June?

Yah this weekend is a bust for me to organize some games. I am going to actively target May as a good month. I would like to thank everybody for getting back on the boards. The banter between Fatbob and Davy BF is taking me back oldschool. I will start building some legal decks that don't incorporate cheap weannies and power rush asap.

Holy crap. I thought I was the only person in Edmonton still even thinking about this game. Lo and behold, a community still exists?! While I'd like to think the entire local community reached it's apocalypse without me organizing tournaments for the last 5 or 6 or whatever years (when did Ice & Fire first come out?), it's nice to know that some sort of organized play still goes forward in my absence. :) Just kidding! In actuality, I'm guessing most of you are different players from the ones I used to play with.

But if not, my name is Matt! I was the original tourney organizer in Edmonton, AB, and ran my tournies out of Warp 2 (though we played far more games at Wizard's just off Whyte towards the end, if I remember correctly). I was the big red head dude that also brought the skinny red head dude and the goth guy with the ***** deck to the tournaments. I remember specifically playing with Miguel, Greg, Eric, Aaron, Adam, James, Tom and that whole family... if any of you are still around, I'd love to play again.

I'd also love to meet new players and see what the local play community is like. I dug up all my old cards today (ftw old school Machine Gun Drogon deck) I was looking at the current rules, and I'm blow away by the staggering amount of changes. I remember when House Targaryen didn't even exist in the context of the game, and now there's a game board, title icons, and my Greyjoys are gone apparently.

And if any of the old players out there still have my number, feel free to gimme a shout. It hasn't changed. Later all!

chaos28 said:

But if not, my name is Matt! I was the original tourney organizer in Edmonton, AB, and ran my tournies out of Warp 2 (though we played far more games at Wizard's just off Whyte towards the end, if I remember correctly). I was the big red head dude that also brought the skinny red head dude and the goth guy with the ***** deck to the tournaments. I remember specifically playing with Miguel, Greg, Eric, Aaron, Adam, James, Tom and that whole family... if any of you are still around, I'd love to play again.

Hey Matt, I'm Dave. I got into the game as you left, around Throne of Blades and Crown of Suns but heard about you from the players. Most of the guys were around and the meta was still around 8-12 players at tourneys at least until mid-Valyrian to Winter. I took over as Night's Watch for Wizard's when Aaron quit and for a while we still had around 6-8 players but everyone slowly disappeared before that.

chaos28 said:

I'd also love to meet new players and see what the local play community is like. I dug up all my old cards today (ftw old school Machine Gun Drogon deck) I was looking at the current rules, and I'm blow away by the staggering amount of changes. I remember when House Targaryen didn't even exist in the context of the game, and now there's a game board, title icons, and my Greyjoys are gone apparently.

Greyjoy is still around. So is Martell. They were just added later than the core set for the LCG. I think FFG originally didn't plan on it, but for some reason they changed. In any case Chris, whom you may have known, is eventually going to organize some stuff when his time frees up, so hopefully we can organize some gaming in the near future. Mostly now it's just time and work issues for everyone.

Okay, so I'm looking around to get some cards in Edmonton. So far all I've found that Wizard's, where I used to get all my cards, has only Winter Edition Starter Decks left (if you can believe that!) Warp 1 has some of the newer sets, but aren't open as late or as convenient for me to get to. Where do most Edmontonians buy their cards?

Also, to anyone that can answer this, if I'm getting back into the game, what sets should I go after first? Obviously the core set will be important, but is there any sets that have particularly necessary cards over the new set? Also, definitely planning to get some Winter Edition; I know they aren't legal for play anymore, but my friends all have older cards and are reluctant to get into the new ones quite yet, so Winter Ed. will jive better I think. But still getting some new cards, too.

I just now realized E town means Edmonton.