Beyond the Wall: E-Town, The next generation

By Fat Bob, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

So here is the smack talk that this thread has been missing for a while. It seems that my Baratheon deck is nearly unbeatable by the great Miguel. Some of my decks in development have not fared as well against his lanni or stark decks but that is only a matter of time. Yourmom/dad should be jealous of my current state of single player dominance. I can't wait to see what next Monday has to offer.

I used to show up at Sheldon's tournies and win them, and the following week participate in my own that I ran, and win that too. I'm almost certain I at one point won like six or seven in a row when the meta was larger, using the same deck. It was embarrassing, the attempts made by everyone. 80 card decks that did nothing save conspire to make their controlling player lose. I almost felt bad. What kind of a game creates potential combos that, in the hands of the right player, would destroy another player's willingness to ever touch the game again? All I could do was shrug and say, "play to win". Something which most in the meta never understood.

Hey E-Town,

I'm mostly moved back to the city again. My cards are all in storage right now but if anyone has spare decks, I wouldn't mind playing a few games if you're all still playing? I should have my own cards in hand by late August.

Do you guys want to set a date to meet up at Warp 1 or somebody's place?

I was in Warp today to ask about playing there. The place was busy with magic and Yugioh players. It was too much hassle in the heat to wade through the throng to find out about booking a table. It apparently costs money? Not cool. We used to play on Sunday's at Wizards. The only problem with that is Miguel can't play Monday's during the day. We could play at the next act on Monday at 5:30 pm.

Holla at Hollis: welcome back to E-Town. As you can see we are trying to get a larger game going. Put your two cents in. Also, we are trying to play fairly regularly on Monday nights at the Next Act. Around 5:30 to 6:00 pm start. it is casual and we play loose with card legality because some guys like to play but are just getting back into the game.

Kingdom Mom, I knew my smack talk would get you out of the woodwork. Since you won't ever show up to play again you can go back to working your wood. Seriously though, how is domestic life treating you?

Domestic life is treating me with disdain. It's actually pretty good, but on occasion I lament my existence as a 12 pound creature shrieks in my face with a voice that sounds like an unholy meld of styrofoam, cats, and distortion from a microphone held too close to a speaker. Otherwise it's not too bad. But seriously babies? They suck.

In any case, how's yours coming along Hoser? Probably vandalizing cars now. In other news, Valar sucks, always has, and always will. It is the weapon of choice for people who make mistakes and need a do over.

Valar is also for people who know that you don't have it and then use it against you. Ask Fatbob about the crazy maneouver that Miguel played against him the other day. I can't remember it exactly but it was sick and we foundly thought about how it would have made you quit playing all over again. I mean SICK.

1. The kidlet is fine. He mostly runs around and makes noise. Life is much better with a 2year old than with a baby, for dad's that get to work all day that is. It seems that the Jen is preggers again so that dream of leaving behind baby stuff is over for a while.

2. We played on Monday at the Act. It was a pretty good session. We tended to play 50/50 in single player for the most part. My Greyjoy deck out deck is mostly successful against Fatbob. Not so much against Miguel. I have tuned it recently though so it might get better. Miguel is still playing with some fairly weak illegal winter cards that tend to make his shizzle unstoppable but with time he will have the card base necessary to be less annoying.

3. If Saej checks this board, I think we should arrange a Sunday tourny at Wizards. It is free, I believe, and they are pretty good about giving us the space. Next time I am in the store I will check it out. Unless, you have connections at Warp and want to play there. Some of our players have problems making it to weekend day time games so it might only be a few of us. Either way it might be a good start.

Monday nights at the act work for me. As do Sunday afternoons at warp/wizards. Good about card legality. I don't want to retire my poor old Viserion! Nom nom nom. I'll check to boards saturday to see if anything is going on sunday/monday.

Well, I didn't arrange anything at Warp/WIzards so I guess we will be playing Monday night at the Act. It is a fairly informal start time around 6-6:30. Sheldon, are you available this Monday? Yourmom, are you ready to stop talking about being good at thrones or do you still want to live in the past?

I'm there. And thanks for reminding me to spiff up my Targ deck for tomorrow. =)

Hoser said:

Yourmom, are you ready to stop talking about being good at thrones or do you still want to live in the past?

Well, come to think of it, if all I ever beat was you guys, then maybe I was never good in the first place. Also I still want to live in the past. Some of the new stuff was appealing but it seems like there's far too much in the game that isn't fully developed such as certain trait tech. Not to mention a greying out of the game where each house has access to the same tech that every other house has. I prefer the old days when sets stuck around for a while and they could actually fully develop deck archetypes from the get go instead of trickling it out through the months only to discover that there isn't enough support for it anyway. I mean seriously. Shadow mechanic? How long is that going to last? Is it the one in ten that sticks?

Also congrats Fat Bizzle for making a Targ deck that doesn't completely suck. It was on your list of things to do before you died, and things weren't looking good for that one.

Well, I will be there tonight. Hopefully Saej and Hollis show so the games will be varied a bit. I shouldn't have warned Fatbob with enough time to tech his decks though. Of course Miguel will still be playing his cheap stark locations from winter edition. I am going to go looking for the Baratheon location that allowed me to participate in power challenges without kneeling. See how he likes it. And as for yourmom, I am sad that you are living in the past. We will meet again.

No Saej last Monday, but Hollis returned to play my Bara multi deck better than I can. I generally ran 50% for the night. It was interesting seeing Miguel play with some of my baratheon tricks tweaked with some of this own. He tends to play more power cards than I do. I tend to weenie storm and then either win handily by the second plot or lose terrribly. I spent some time yesterday tunning my Greyjoy deck out deck, and then found out that Miguel had also made a greyjoy deck. His will most likely revolve around intimidate and unopposed challenges. We will see on Monday. Hopefully Saej can stop by and then we can discuss starting some organized play again. It has been a while and it would be nice to earn some swag or be as competitive as we used to be.

Monday was a blast, I look forward to this Sunday/Monday. However, I don't think I have the mental fortitude to play so many games in a row! The Bara deck was very neat, and quite different from most Bara decks I make. I think that shadows armory is going to be very breakable, even though I didn't get much play out of it. I think once I pick up my cards, I'm going to have to work on a street waif deck.

Chris, I think that's his name, is looking at hosting some organized play possibilities for Sundays. We will see how that works out. Otherwise, it looks like Monday is a go for most of us. Sheldon is back on his Monday's off but maybe somebody else will show to take his spot.

If anybody checks this, I might not be at the Act until 6:30.

Likely going to skip this week; piled up with work today. Will be back (with my own cards!) on the 31st.

Well...Hoser is wondering if we are playing tonight? No reply yet from the others and Hollis is in WKRP. Saej has never really appeared and Warp hasn't organized any organized play. It seems E-Town is playing GOT but only casually. I will call Sheldon right now because he might not be sleeping still.

ohh yeah! Back and ready to play on Monday!

Anyone going to be around monday?

Hey Hollis

Tom will be there around 7 and I will be there around 6. Miguel lives there.

Hey Hollis and Sheldon I got a call from Miguel saying that The Next Act is closed on Monday. I haven't heard any other plans for the day so I went and made new ones. I just wanted to pass on the info.

I guess we will have to try and play next week. It will give me another week of hoping to make new decks and/or giving an old deck a tune up. Has anybody been to Warp lately to see if there is new product yet?

Sadness. I have a couple new decks, though I still haven't managed to pull anything together that is lcg-only. Guess martell power rush will have to wait until next week!

On a scale of 1-10, I am about a 17 for excitedness to play Thrones tonight.