Beyond the Wall: E-Town, The next generation

By Fat Bob, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

yeah, thinking of burns is harder than it seems! You guys make it look so effortless! Also, Targ Maester Burn is definitely better than any Targ rush deck, I was just thinking of trying Targ Rush, because of that **** agenda. I'm in the process of building a Bara Knight/Joust deck now though. Man seductive promise and direct assault are awesome! Especially direct assault, that card was made for joust!

Yeah Direct Assault is fantastic. I'm using it a Bara Brotherhood build right now as well. The deck is so good I can't say much more except it only runs 45 events, all of which are meta. There's also no Brotherhood characters, only out of house allies, but it uses the Brotherhood agenda. I encourage everyone to try and make a similar deck because it's that good. Bring it as your only deck next time we play and we'll compare notes. I may change some of the cards in mine before then though so we don't have the exact same build. I'll maybe switch a few out for Martell control but the idea will be roughly the same maybe.

This next week is probably going to be the last week I'll have free for any type of gaming until January. If anyone is up for Thrones next Sunday let me know, but I'd also be down for gaming during the week if anyone's interested. Alternatively I'll be playing Dark Souls and watching Christmas movies all week which would be better, but cards wouldn't be unwelcome.

Anyone free for games Sunday? I realize it's super busy round this time, but I'll have to kill a couple hours in the city so if anyone's bored, send me a text!

Hey Everybody. Happy festivus and all that. It has been a crazy time in my life and very busy. I would love to start planning some game times again but lets see what people are available for. You guys rule!

Hey all!

I am an Edmonton player with another pal who plays. We would love to organize a game at Warp 1 on Whyte Ave.

I can talk to the guys there and arrange a time.

Lemme know!

Hey, we used to play every couple weeks or so at Warp on Sundays. With the holidays over, things may be picking up again as Hoser above mentions. Since there's no organized play on Sundays, table space is free to use there on a first come first serve basis. Let us know if Sundays are good for you, and for that matter if anyone is game for this weekend or the next and I can see which works for me as well.

This weekend is a little hectic for me but both myself and friend could make next Sunday happen?

Yeah sounds good. Around 1 work? Just post here before next Sunday if plans change and I'll check before then.

Yeah, sure.

Lets make it 1pm on Sunday! It will be myself and friend Travis who come. My name is Taylor, by the way. You bringing anyone?

I had someone reply to a post on warp 1's Facebook page regarding a game and they expressed interest as well. Looks like we could get a little league started up.

-Taylor

I will be there but not sure if anyone else is showing up. Things essentially stopped when the mild winter rolled around and haven't picked up since then. We had about five regular players but aside from Chris (Hoser), the other three have disappeared. I had a couple other people I played with on the side as well but they're obsessed with Dominion of all games, and don't really seem to want to invest much time or money into anything else. But I will send out a mass text in the off chance someone wants.

If there's any interest on Warp's FB or whatever, now would be a decent time to start a meta since you'd be on the ground floor. We talked about starting league or tourney play but none of us were too thrilled with the guidelines on hosting there, nor were we driven to even try so if you can drum up some players that would be cool. It seems like the product moves fairly well since most CPs are soldout, but it's also a game that is very easily played in small, self-contained groups so some kind of tournament play might get people out of the woodwork.

I'm Dave by the way.

Hey Dave.

I'll let the player that messaged me via fbook know we are having a game on Sunday at 1. That way we can plan for a 4 person melee.

We can talk more about league and tourneys when we get a sense of where everyone is at and if we can get more people interested. The guys at Warp have said if we get 8 people together they would organize a tourney.

I am going to double check that they don't have anything too much going on Sunday and post here to confirm that we are good to go.

-T

Hey guys, I'll def be there around 1 as well. Get ready to get dominated by my Lannister Dragon deck!

Also, which house do you play? Any Agendas? How many cards?

We are just curious as we haven't played anyone else but ourselves. Travis and I have both picked up different expansions and have stocked up a few deck. He has a well stocked Baratheon deck due to his purchase of the King of Storms expansion.

Maybe you want to keep this info under wraps? Haha.

More just curious to see how other players build decks! Looking forward to it!

Staton!

Didn't know you were an Edmonton guy! I look forward to learning more about the game from you!

-T

Nice Josh haha... Staton is an honorary Edmonton guy, but this is a classic example of his forum BS. He types a lot of things that just aren't true. If he does fly in for an afternoon of games though, I'll buy him lunch.

BARF said:

Also, which house do you play? Any Agendas? How many cards?

We are just curious as we haven't played anyone else but ourselves. Travis and I have both picked up different expansions and have stocked up a few deck. He has a well stocked Baratheon deck due to his purchase of the King of Storms expansion.

Maybe you want to keep this info under wraps? Haha.

More just curious to see how other players build decks! Looking forward to it!

I play Martell mostly, but also Greyjoy. I have decks for all the houses though, and they're all the minimum 60 card build, and they all run an agenda. There's no real reason not to in this environment because the benefits are good and the downsides are nonexistent for all purposes.

What about you? Travis mains Bara, and yourself? Chris is a really good Bara player so he'd have something interesting to watch, or not. I'll bring a couple decks, but I'll be prepared that you guys are sharks and will hand me my ass. To that I will say "well played."

Yeah sadly I will only be there in spirit, but I still plan on going 5-0-1.

Alright, I get it. Staton is a trickster! Well played Staton, well played. That said a Lannister Dragon deck sounds like a crazy unique build!

My best decks right now are a Winter Greyjoy deck and a Shadow Lannister deck. I also work on my Starks and Targaryens a little bit too. I have all of them but those 4 stick out for me.

Really looking forward to the game no matter what the outcome is! I told Kirk (who responded to my post) that we were planning on a Sunday game.

Hello,

New player signing in. I'm Kirk who had replied to Taylor's Facebook post. I currently only have 1 core set box and have ordered the Princes of the Sun and Kings of the Sea expansions. I've only played a couple games with my brother so there are lots of cards, keywords, etc.. that I am not familiar with. I'll try and make it on Sunday, but I can't guarantee that I will be there, and unfortunately I'll be out of town from the 10th to the beginning of March. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up with you guys when I get back though.

Kirk

Good to "meet you" Kirk. If you can make it out on Sunday, that'd be cool, but barring some kind of horrible series of events which irrevocably leads to us all swearing to never play Thrones again, we should still be around in March. Don't worry about having a more limited knowledge of the game since that will come with playing new players.

We are on for Sunday!

I haven't told the guys at Warp but it shouldn't be a problem as it is first come first serve for tables on Sunday. There will probably just be the 3 of us.

Looking forward to it!

-T

Dave takes the weekend melee game with the Martell's. The other houses were no match for the stealth of the Carrion Bird.

Next time might not be so easy. I'm really looking forward to making some new-specific decks!

You thought that was easy? The game was three hours long and I eeked out the win with a Red Viper that was well-timed and constant scrutiny of the melee titles. Myrcella was the pivotal piece for me though. I thought you were going to win that one after Travis handed you first player on the last round we played.

Great game though and good to meet you all. Slim down your deck and focus it a bit more and the synergy will be crisper. Your deck had a bit of unopposed and a bit of mill which never factored, but honestly, it ends up slowing down because it ends up having too many parts that don't strengthen each other. Still, all your guys's decks were cool and had rounds where they were just in command. Well played and some really good moves by you all but was that game ever hurting for resets of some kind.

For sure.

We left talking about future strategies and slimming decks to make them more focused. We just never knew if more or less was better. I always thought it was less but there were disagreements. Glad you proved a point I was trying to make to Trav a while back. Your tip about constantly having something to play no matter what 7 cards you draw is essential. It gave me a lot of great ideas for more focused decks. I'm looking forward to building them. I'm hoping to have something good for all houses. Really looking forward to our next matchup.

Reset cards are essential. Like, as in, YOU HAVE TO HAVE THEM. Again, this was disputed in our group but glad to see why it is needed.

Don't tell Trav but he might have a hard time limiting his decks. He is a "have more want less" kind of guy.

Speaking of next matchups... I could make Sunday the 19th work?

19th isn't good for me. I'll be really busy around that time... if you're free next weekend, the 12th would work, or sometime after the 22nd is when I'll be more free. You mentioned you were gonna be working weekends though at some point, and I will be too off and on, so March may be weeknight games if we can figure something out.

The best way to think about deck size is if you are in a situation, whether it's because you need a card to help you do something, or a specific card to deal with an opponent's card that is giving you trouble, the odds are always better to draw it if you have a smaller deck. Large decks with lots of good cards and toolbox meta fall apart unless your search is substantial enough, but the game doesn't have enough tutor to reliably do that. If you have all the answers but they're at the bottom of a 100 card deck, they won't help, especially in a game where you probably won't draw half of it before the game is over. It always was hard to pull cards out that do cool things, but it's just one of those things you learn to do.

I could do the 12th. I'll talk to Trav and get back to you.

Again, thanks for the tips. Really useful.