SoCal Meta(s) - LA and San Diego

By Deathjester26, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

Two things changed since my last post. I got a job, YAY, and I had a birthday. I've got a lot less free time to game but I also won a Boardgame Geek auction for a bunch ( 16 expansions) of new AGOT cards! I'm very eager to try them out. Unfortunately I'm off to Lake Havasu this weekend. After that I should have some free time to game weekday nights. I can travel to any of the greater LA areas. A trip to San Diego would have to be a weekend deal. I'm thinking of hitting Kubla-Con for the first time.

I was sad to see the Kings Landing set had only single copies of House Greyjoy cards. Are we really expected to buy 3 sets to make that house playable or does it work out as is? I obviously haven't tried it yet.

Halfway through book 2 and lovin it so far!

All of the Chapter packs released up until now have been with 10 cards in single copies, and 10 cards in triplicata, for a total of 40 cards. Sadly that means that yes, if you want a full play set, you need to buy 3 copies. However it's only $30. Pretty cheap.

The good news is, starting with the next cycle of chapter packs (due out this summer), the pack will have 20 cards in triplicate, for a total of 60 cards. The price will go up to $15, but you're getting a full playset that way.

You should definitely come play Thrones at Kubla. It'll be fun.

I am a new player in the San Diego area looking for a group to play with. Next time you plan to meet at Game Empire I might drive up. Its only about a 25 minute drive for me.

Joe

Gwanum said:

I am a new player in the San Diego area looking for a group to play with. Next time you plan to meet at Game Empire I might drive up. Its only about a 25 minute drive for me.

Joe

Cool. Welcome aboard Gwanum. I know Bronson was trying to put something together for tonight up in Oceanside, but I think it fell through because I'm not available this weekend.

I have family in town all next week, but maybe we can set something up for Monday (5/16). We'll keep you posted.

Plus, I'm sure the guys in San Diego will fill you in on KublaCon. You should come! Oh yeah, and welcome to the community!

Syd

Hey there Gwanum! Glad to see you're interested in becoming a part of the SoCal AGoT community! DeathJester I assume you mean the 17th? If so I'm in! Let's shoot for the 17th at 7pm although I think I might get there a little sooner. Maybe if we have enough folks show up we can have a couple 2v2 matches?

The 17th it is... I'll get to Game Empire around 7pm.

The 17th at 7 sounds good.

Having only purchased the core set so far I will not have a real competitive deck. I don't mind taking my beatings as I learn the game. So far I have only played 3 games of 1v1.

No worries. Bronson just started branching out from the CORE set himself, so we're not too crazy...

...yet.

Hey everybody. I'm in the LA area so I thought I would hit you guys up. After not having played since the old Ice & Fire edition cards, my friends and I just started getting back into this game. I'm currently playing with four or so friends who all live in the South Bay area. San Diego would be a bit far for me, but I have a couple friends who probably wouldn't mind making the trip. Let me know if there is any fun being planned close by, thanks.

Define "South Bay"? I am in Santa Cruz with the future husband and now that our schedules are settling down a bit we would love to try meeting up in the San Jose area for games with other people.

Fancy B said:

Hey everybody. I'm in the LA area so I thought I would hit you guys up. After not having played since the old Ice & Fire edition cards, my friends and I just started getting back into this game. I'm currently playing with four or so friends who all live in the South Bay area. San Diego would be a bit far for me, but I have a couple friends who probably wouldn't mind making the trip. Let me know if there is any fun being planned close by, thanks.

I don't want to take any people from the San Diego crew...but if you ever want to play a bit closer we have an active, large group of players that play every Wednesday from about 6-10 at Black Diamond Games in Concord. Also, KublaCon is coming up at the end of the month. The East Bay Area is running the A Game of Thrones events along with San Diego...Kubla is in Burlingame...not too far from the South Bay. Lots of us will be staying at the Con, and if you guys are interested (you said you had 4-5 players, yes?) you should definately come. You could simply drive each day, or get a hotel and split it bewteen you. We are staying at the Con itself, but others are staying right across the way at the Holiday Inn. If you can just come up for one day, the Regional Championships are on Saturday...so that would be the best day if you had to pick one...we are also running a fun Draft event on Saturday evening, along with the Melee Championships on Sunday.

If you are worried about logistics, please post your concerns...we'll do whatever we can to help get you there.

Syd

Hey guys. By South Bay, I mean the beach cities south west of LA. Thanks for the heads up about the con Syd; I don't think I could handle the drive all the way up there but my friend is trying to convince me that we should go now.

Fancy B said:

Hey guys. By South Bay, I mean the beach cities south west of LA. Thanks for the heads up about the con Syd; I don't think I could handle the drive all the way up there but my friend is trying to convince me that we should go now.

That's a good friend you've got there gui%C3%B1o.gif

Thanks to all who came out last night to play.

It was good to meet you Gwanum.

Are you guys interested in starting a weekly gaming night? FFG just released new kits for game nights fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

Sounds pretty cool (and oddly similar to that Measter's Challenge thing that one cool guy around here runs).

If you guys are interested, I can talk to Game Empire or Artifex about ordering a kit for us. I'll even fork out the $15 for it.

@Fancy B: Oh, you should go to Kubla :) I'm willing to drive up north to play if we can get an organized league going or something. Maybe we can plan a weekend just to meet up and get some casual games in?

Yeah that was fun thanks for coming out everyone.

DeathJester... Yeah let's do it!

Thanks for the games last night. I hope I did not slow the game down too much. A weekly game night sounds good.

Hey DJ. Yeah, that would be really cool if you wanted to come up here and play; you could give us a chance to play against a more experienced player. I don't know about starting a league though; it doesn't sound like anyone plays in the immediate area.

Hi all,

I am a friend of Deathjester and Bronson so I play AGoT with them periodically when we can work out a meet.

I live in Oceanside and I am usually up for a game with a bit of notice.

Hopefully I can get back involved once I move again.

Last call for anyone wanting to play Thrones at Kublacon!

I am leaving early Friday morning, and can pick you up if you're on the way. 4 day passes at the door are $50, and I will most likely have a room with floor spcae available. I will also have extra decks with me, if you'd like to play one.

Sorry Deathjester I am not going to make it to Kublacon. Bay area is to far a drive for the one day I would have time to be there. Next year I can plan ahead and take the whole weekend.

@WTFGamer

Awesome to see you at Kublacon. I have some friends up in the LA area that might be interested in getting together to play sometime. What weekends work for you? I'll check with them and see if I can get them to come out.

Next meetup is 7pm on June 7 at Game Empire in San Diego. Expecting a good crowd this time... join us in growing the San Diego meta with AGoT: the only game that matters!

Thanks be to all for providing this noob a great Kubla-con experience!

It was great getting a chance to field my first AGOT constructed deck. It got crushed, but I had a great time learning how to play. Seeing some of the Pro's lay the smack down in a variety of different ways was inspiring. I got a glimpse of the depth the game has. I've been itching to find some time and tear apart my Greyjoy deck.

@Fancy B: We should get together brother!

-Chris