Glossary of Armada slang & abbreviations

By DiabloAzul, in Star Wars: Armada

45 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

LAST VISITED

19 hours ago

Right then. Hopefully he'll be by shortly

@DiabloAzul shows up in the rules forum pretty regularly, I'm sure he'll be by.

1 minute ago, Ardaedhel said:

@DiabloAzul shows up in the rules forum pretty regularly, I'm sure he'll be by.

I hear if you disagree with his opinion on a rule he shows up twice as fast.

At least that's my experience :P

Woot! Excellent stuff! I'll get to updating right away.

Added: Ace Holes, DC, DTT, FC, IO, JJ, GenCon Special, Moffy J, Pickle, RAF, RLB.

Edit: ...and ET, DCO, OE, RBD, QLT, SFO, SWM20.

Edited by DiabloAzul
This is getting a little silly.

@DiabloAzul it might feel silly, but even as someone who loves acronyms and gets confused, this is pretty cool. Thanks for your contributions.

--

If people want to use it, I've been using this format to make lists much easier to recognize normalized strengths (such as 5 activations, an even number of squadrons, bid and ship firepower level).

Single letter abbrev for ships, Admiral, Listname/important details, s# number of squadrons, b# bid value (+bid for first/2nd/reason for bid)
ex.

VVVZZ Moffy J - Triple Vics DC - s6AA+Jonus b0
This is my Triple VSD list with 2 VSD2 with DisposableCapacitors for long range fire and 1 VSD1 due to not enough room. Moffy J gives maneuverability to bring the full firepower of the Vics to bear, especially the VSD1. Its squadron plan is 6 squadrons for AA primarily: some sort of Howlrunner + Interceptors as a speed bump + Jonus for increasing VSD ship firepower. a bid of 0 likely means I don't particularly care to go 1st or 2nd. It also is very obvious showing here that this is sub optimized to fight vs Rieekan aces, needing a bid of 8-10 ish. it shows 5 ship activations, a value of 3(+) for ship firepower combat ships and 2 Gozantis not adding significant combat force. It has 6 squadrons, an even number for deployment.

The single letter abbreviations are broken down by faction:
Imp:
V - VSD
G - Glad
I - ISD
R - Raider
Z - GoZanti
N - INterdictor
A - Arquitens
Q - Quasar Fire carrier

Reb:
C - CR90
N - Nebulon
F - Assault Frigate mk2
S - Shrimp MC30
H - Home One MC80
L - Liberty MC80
T - Transport
P - Pelta
? - Hammerhead

Edited by Blail Blerg
lol. accidentally wrote VVVGG instead of VVVZZ cuz was typing fast
2 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

@DiabloAzul it might feel silly, but even as someone who loves acronyms and gets confused, this is pretty cool. Thanks for your contributions.

--

If people want to use it, I've been using this format to make lists much easier to recognize normalized strengths (such as 5 activations, an even number of squadrons, bid and ship firepower level).

Single letter abbrev for ships, Admiral, Listname/important details, s# number of squadrons, b# bid value (+bid for first/2nd/reason for bid)
ex.

VVVGG Moffy J - Triple Vics DC - s6AA+Jonus b0
This is my Triple VSD list with 2 VSD2 with DisposableCapacitors for long range fire and 1 VSD1 due to not enough room. Moffy J gives maneuverability to bring the full firepower of the Vics to bear, especially the VSD1. Its squadron plan is 6 squadrons for AA primarily: some sort of Howlrunner + Interceptors as a speed bump + Jonus for increasing VSD ship firepower. a bid of 0 likely means I don't particularly care to go 1st or 2nd. It also is very obvious showing here that this is sub optimized to fight vs Rieekan aces, needing a bid of 8-10 ish. it shows 5 ship activations, a value of 3(+) for ship firepower combat ships and 2 Gozantis not adding significant combat force. It has 6 squadrons, an even number for deployment.

Imp:
V - VSD
G - Glad
I - ISD
R - Raider
Z - GoZanti
N - INterdictor
A - Arquitens
Q - Quasar Fire carrier

Reb:
C - CR90
N - Nebulon
F - Assault Frigate mk2
S - Shrimp MC30
H - Home One MC80
L - Liberty MC80
T - Transport
P - Pelta
? - Hammerhead

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAJNAAAAJDViZjJmNjc3LThjZGYt

:P

23 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

--

ex.

Imp:
V - VSD
G - Glad
I - ISD
R - Raider
Z - GoZanti
N - INterdictor
A - Arquitens
Q - Quasar Fire carrier

Reb:
C - CR90
N - Nebulon
F - Assault Frigate mk2
S - Shrimp MC30
H - Home One MC80
L - Liberty MC80
T - Transport
P - Pelta
HH* - Hammerhead

I think that is appropriate for the Hammerhead

Blail. That system is not widely used. There are many variations on it.

1 hour ago, Blail Blerg said:

Imp:
V - VSD
G - Glad

Wait, I'm confused.

This is 3 Victories and 2 gladiators?

Oooops. Even I made a mistake in writing it. Should have been Zs.

I know. But in case people want to adopt a system, doesn't have to be everyone. =)

I came looking for acronyms, but the place fills up with random trash? No wonder they usually don't sticky.

Edit: never mind. First post looks very good. Also, must drink more espresso.

Edited by Green Knight

So it's not used terribly often on the forums, because it's not used terribly often in practice but I would like to add a definition under "PT"

Jankmasters such as myself commonly use "Pulse-Tap" or "PT" as a reference to the combo of using Overload Pulse from one ship to "tap" the defense tokens of an enemy ship, preparing it for an attack from Avenger. If you search the phrase "PT fleet" you'll see it's mostly me but there are a few others too, so it is used.

so maybe add:

PT- Pulse Tap, is a method that uses one ship with Overload Pulse to exhaust (or "tap") an opponent's defenses, preparing it for an attack from a second ship, typically the ISD Avenger.

Edited by Darth Sanguis

These are some that appear somewhat often, especially in the fleet sub-forum:

EHB - Expanded Hangar Bays

QTC - Quad Turbolaser Cannons

TB - Tractor Beams

FT Raider - Flechette Torpedo Raider.

Ones I use for ships. Many are obvious, but I try to keep them between 2-4 characters long.

ISD - Imperial
VSD - Victory
INT - Interdictor
QF - Quasar Fire
GSD - Gladiator
ARQ - Arquitens
RDR - Raider
GZ - Gozanti

MC80 - Home One
LIB - Liberty class
A/F - Assault Frigate MK-II
MC30
CR90
NEB - Nebulon
HH - Hammerhead
GR - GR-75

I've always referred to Disposable capacitors with DCaps .

Yeah and then there's '75s and Flots when referring to flotillas. I can't remember if I've seen it on the forums, but I and likely several others use them.

And I know you said that the Glossary is for popular terms, but I don't know if these are popular (Flots is, I think), so I'm putting it out there.

It may be helpful to sort terms by category, ex: names for ships, specific ship builds, upgrade cards, entire list archetypes, and then other things (meta terms, strategies, etc).

As-is, the list is already getting unwieldy, no?

It's getting very unwieldy, which is why I'm trying to be more selective with which terms are included. As a matter of principle, I tend to ignore people who want me to add their pet terms, and instead focus solely on actual usage that I notice (or that is brought to my attention and I can then verify).

I have indeed been wondering about better sorting schemes, but could not come up with a better practical solution than simple alphabetic sorting.

1 hour ago, DiabloAzul said:

It's getting very unwieldy, which is why I'm trying to be more selective with which terms are included. As a matter of principle, I tend to ignore people who want me to add their pet terms, and instead focus solely on actual usage that I notice (or that is brought to my attention and I can then verify).

I have indeed been wondering about better sorting schemes, but could not come up with a better practical solution than simple alphabetic sorting.

I think alphabetical is the only way to do this. If I see an acronym and don't know what it means, what good does it do me to have a dictionary of them sorted by what they mean?

Just now, Ardaedhel said:

I think alphabetical is the only way to do this. If I see an acronym and don't know what it means, what good does it do me to have a dictionary of them sorted by what they mean?

That's the problem - the list is getting too long for parsing by eye. Chunking it (and sorting chunks alphabetically) would make it easier to parse, I think - it's easier to check four lists of ten items than one list of fourty - but more importantly, the number of items is at or approaching exclusively "control+f" levels.

9 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

I think alphabetical is the only way to do this.

I was trying to say the same thing, just more politely. :P

5 minutes ago, svelok said:

...the number of items is at or approaching exclusively "control+f" levels.

In my view that's not unreasonable, and in any case still preferable to category-based sorting, which can obscure things as one might not always know which sub-list to search in. In any case, the issue is not really due to the structure of the glossary, though, but to the proliferation of abbreviations themselves (which of course reflects that of upgrade cards).

EDIT: Anyway, being the one who does the actual work , I reserve the right to make an executive decision in the matter. Which is not to say that I don't appreciate suggestions and constructive criticism!

Edited by DiabloAzul
I like executive decisions.
8 minutes ago, DiabloAzul said:

EDIT: Anyway, being the one who does the actual work , I reserve the right to make an executive decision in the matter. Which is not to say that I don't appreciate suggestions and constructive criticism!

Would you go so far as to say that you are the glossary?

8 minutes ago, svelok said:

Would you go so far as to say that you are the glossary?

"Le glossaire, c'est moi."

7 hours ago, DiabloAzul said:

In the interest of decluttering, I'd recommend dropping the following:

CW, GCW, PT - These aren't really pertinent to Armada and are rarely seen. I suspect they're only used in rare fluff threads.

RAF - I can't remember the last time I saw someone refer to an Assault Frigate like that.

Ugly - Same for the Scurrg

VVV

Agreed, for the most part. RAF resurfaced just a couple of days ago, which is why I added it. CW/GCW/PT come up every time there's a new movie release, but yeah, they're probably safe to remove. I'll do some cleanup sometime soon.