Glossary of Armada slang & abbreviations

By DiabloAzul, in Star Wars: Armada

still havn't changed Chirpy to Cheri

get on that

Added FLGS, LGS, OP, TRC, RAW, RAI, Edsel-Blerg Theory (EDIT: and MOV).

Cheri isn't happening anytime soon, unless you somehow convince people to start using it in the forums :D

(remember, I'm not deciding what things should be called, only recording observed usage)

Edited by DiabloAzul

Added FAQ, RRG and RNG.

Fat: meaning heavily upgraded and often over upgraded

Also fattie: referring to a "fat" ship especially guppys

Wulfy: Wullf Yularen

Added Fatty, SSD.

Just noticed I have a term named partially for me. blushing%20Jedi.jpg

This needs stickied.

you forgot to add the Scrugg (lol): Silly Bombers

Added AA / AAA.

Can you suggest Flak instead of AA/AAA/AS?

I occasionally see 'Gen Con Special'. Although I know that it was a fleet build that was successful at GenCon, I have yet to determine exactly what was in it!

Also, 'IFF', with a link to the podcast?

'Double Tap', 'Garm's Guppies', 'Ackbar Slash'?

Can you suggest Flak instead of AA/AAA/AS?

Well I don't "suggest" things, I record observed usage. But if I see it being thrown around the forums some more (and appears to need explanation - I'm not sure it does) I may well add it :)

Added IFF, Ackbar Slash, Double Tap, TCW, Gen Con Special.

Edited by DiabloAzul

I commonly hear the CR90 referred to as 'vette' for corvette. Maybe that's just a local thing though.

I always though the Assault Frigate looked more like a manatee than a whale.

lmao! the triangle of squadrons is the edsel-blerg theory. HAHAHAHA. Oh gods. I'd like to thank the academy. =D

(Btw, its only theory, I've been wanting to test it, but I don't get enough games in).

Also I keep hearing CAP in reference to fighters, what does this mean?

Combat Air Patrol

That uhh. Can some one explain that?

That uhh. Can some one explain that?

Essentially, in Civilian terms... Putting your Squadrons out the front so they can actively "Catch" the enemy before they get within range.

In military terms, that'd be a BARCAP (Barrier Combat Air Patrol)

Its basically the idea of having a roving patrol of friendly aircraft that, because it is out and actively on patrol, is able to respond MUCH quicker to enemy threats, rather than having to get ready, launch, and then approach, because they're already airborne and between you and the anticipated enemy direction of approach.

The aircraft for response rather than active patrol instead, are referred to as Ready-Fives, as that's how long it takes them to launch - which, based on radar detection ranges and potential speed of incoming enemy aircraft (or missiles!) might leave them still on the deck by the time its too late.

That's about as quick and dirty of an explanation I can make, but for a FULL Breakdown of the TYPES of CAP that militaries use, refer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_air_patrol

Edited by Drasnighta

Well, I recieved all my CAP knowledge from Battlestar Galactica... ;) Adama was always very concerned about keeping the combat air patrol out and about so the capital ships didn't get caught unawares.

(Which, taking into acount the above posters much more realistic response, is why I never quite took to the rule that an Armada fleet could have no more than 1/3 of points spent on squadrons, but could spend zero if it wanted to. No CAP? Who sends out a Star Destroyer with zero TIE fighters?)

Well, I recieved all my CAP knowledge from Battlestar Galactica... ;) Adama was always very concerned about keeping the combat air patrol out and about so the capital ships didn't get caught unawares.

(Which, taking into acount the above posters much more realistic response, is why I never quite took to the rule that an Armada fleet could have no more than 1/3 of points spent on squadrons, but could spend zero if it wanted to. No CAP? Who sends out a Star Destroyer with zero TIE fighters?)

Because the other side of it, is constantly rotating, launching, recovering, repairing, maintaining, and feeding flight crews and mainteance hands and deck crews is expensive and exhausting .

If you overload on fighters before anything else, you're shooting yourself in the foot...

Added CAP :)

EDIT: And Proc.

Edited by DiabloAzul

I am... SHAMELESSLY... Bumping the Crap out of this...

Like an Engine Tech'd Gladiator nuzzling an MC80s Nose in some sort of illicit relationship....