Unofficial Campaign Tracker for Descent!

By Atom4geVampire, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Small update to the site today:

• Improvements were made to the homepage
  • Improvements were made to the mobile version of some pages. (Homepage, Campaign overview, group overview, hero details,..)
  • Fixed a bug that caused 'First Blood' to not be shown in the statistics.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented submission of the edit skills/items form (see above post)
  • Fixed a bug that allowed Corrupt Citizen cards to be return during the edit skills step
  • Improvements to error reporting of the login page
  • Added more hero and class statistics.
Edited by Atom4geVampire

Another update:

• Fixed a bug where an empty quest or rumor could be submitted
  • Fixed a bug that occurred when an expansion was selected as story, and the same expansion was the only other expansion selected
  • Fixed a bug that caused rumor cards featuring a quests not to be displayed in the 'Rumor Cards' box. I still have to test this further, to make sure it works at all steps of the campaign, but now at least rumor quests are available.

By the way, I'm still waiting for Bonds of the Wild to become available in Belgium. So for now I can't add that to the site yet (for those of you wanting to use it in campaigns).

If someone is willing to pass me the info (via pm or whatever), that would be great.

I will have Bonds of the Wild in my hands on Wednesday. I will be happy to provide you anything you need at that time.

I love this new tool, you are awasome :D and the site is great: the images, the easy way to organize everything, the stadistics, etc.

One thing, in the quest "Heart of the Wilds", the first encounter doens't show an option to choose an open group.

Also, when I tried to delet a player from a group (by leaving the space blank as it says) the site marks me that I cannot leave empty spaces.

So far, I haven't had any other problem.

I've added all elements of Bonds of the Wild to the website (except the hero images)

I am loving the site Atom, signed up today and entered in the info for My Shadows of Nerekhall quest. At last I can throw away my pen and paper!

It is just such a well designed site and easy use - just brilliant. Thank you for your efforts.

Shout out if I can do anything to help, whether it be testing, providing content etc

Edited by rfisha

Thanks for the kind words!

You can help by just keeping track of your campaigns and seeing if something goes wrong :)

If you really want to mess with the site, I could always give access to the test version (which is hosted somewhere else) to people interested, so they won't break the live site when actively trying to break something :P

The only 'missing' content right now is images for the quests. As you can see in the Shadow Rune campaign, I started with using the lieutenant images, but since they are not really quest specific that doesn't seem a really viable option to keep using. But I don't know if there is anyone out there who would be willing to draw some fitting images. They don't need to be high detailed (so not like for example the lieutenant art) but more like a sketch that shows the mood/subject of the quest, like this example . But seeing as Descent currently has 104 quests, I don't see it happening any time soon :P

Other than that, if you guys have more ideas for statistics or info that can be added to the site, let me know.

I currently have one more idea i want to implement, which is just a list of skills per class, in order of most frequently bought.

Each skill will then show something like 'people who bought this skill also bought Skill X, Skill Y, Skill Z' so people can get an idea which skills might work good together (or at least, which are often used together, there is no saying its actually a good idea) when thinking about how to build their character.

Also: I wouldn't completely throw away pen and paper :P I'm not Facebook or Google or whatever, so I can't promise my site/hosting/.. suffering from an unrecoverable failure or anything.

So at least record your quest wins and gold or whatever as a backup :D

Edited by Atom4geVampire

I love the website design, it is very smooth and easy to navigate.

Do you think it would be possible to keep track of changes between encounters as well?. More often than not, our group has enough time to complete 1 encounter and then we finish the quest the second time around (which can take up to a week between encounters). In that time we have to write down all of the info, like OL cards (used, removed, in hand), damage tokens and search cards and their status. Would be really cool if there was an option to store that kind of info as well.

What would be nice and reasonable to implement would be a notes or summary area so we can enter a description of how the quest played out, if we ever look at the campaign info again in the future.

I can absolutely keep using the site and testing it for you :)

Edited by rfisha

Great work, excellent campaign tracker!

Here is some feedback of my (rather experienced) Descent group:

- add the option to add personal comments to quests for things like used house-rules, 1st encounter 'result', memorable events etc.

- add the ability to create a custom campaign and to add custom quests to existing campaigns.

And a personal request (because my Descent group came up with houserules to make more than 4 heroes balanced)

- allow the option for a 5th and 6th hero

Edited by Stroomschok

I think that this site is fantastic and a very useful tool for tracking Descent campaigns. Great effort!

Here are some issues I have encountered, in regards to a recent Labyrinth of Ruin campaign that we have in progress. I actually added most of the quest details retrospectively, adding info that I had recorded on paper into the campaign tracker. Apologies if these are known issues or have been mentioned elsewhere:

- The Serena plot deck is not an available option for the Overlord at the start of the quest; inconvenient, as that is the plot-deck I had chosen as OL! I double-checked that I had ticked the Serena Lieutenant pack as an available component and I had. I then thought maybe there was some hidden rule about using the Serena plot deck in the LoR campaign that I had overlooked, so tried starting the Shadow Rune campaign and found it was not on the option list here, either.

-In the Honour Among Thieves quest, the players have a reward of "100 gold and any gold revealed in excess of their goal", which was not selectable as an option, I don't think. It is easy to circumvent this by selecting another Search card worth whatever the excess gold was, but only if you know about this in advance! And I guess it is maybe possible to be in a situation where this wouldn't work...

If I am mistaken about any of these, or if there are reasons for the omissions, then I apologise. I do think this is a superb site and will make good use of it during our campaigns, I do not doubt.

For the personal comment: I can look in to adding this. The reason I haven't added it is because I'm not the best programmer, so the less direct user input I allow, the less chance people have to mess with the site.

For the encounter 1 saving: I had thought about it; but it's just too much extra stuff to save.. You've mentioned some already: Damage tokens per hero, Search cards used/not used, OL cards played, OL cards discarded, OL cards in hand, threat tokens given to the heroes, threat tokens on plot cards, hero tokens on plot cards, quest related fatigue/objective token count, ... The list just goes on. Saving stuff after the quest is easy, because you have a limited set of things to save that will always be the same. Saving after encounter 1 just adds so many (unpredictable) variables. Also, the tracking isn't always done by the OL, so is he going to allow the heroes to know his in hand cards half way? Its just one of the many problems, so no i do not plan on adding this feature.

For the custom campaign stuff: This also seems near impossible to add. Again, the current descent campaigns always roughly follow a certain template, which makes it relatively easy to implement those. When campaigns deviate from that, it gets more difficult. Heirs of Blood for example deviated in some places, and required extra functionality to be added to the site. I had taken a look at custom campaigns already and they just deviate from 'normal' so many times. It just not possible for me to implement the custom rules necessary for every custom campaign to work. I'm talking stuff like having 2 interludes instead of one, weird quest rewards, ... And the same goes for the custom quests.

Also (and this then refers to both custom quests as to the 5-6 heroes): I'd like to keep the site as much RAW as possible.

That, and it's also just not possible for me to be adding every house rule out there (regardless of how popular or balanced they might be).

I would think adding custom campaigns would be more simple than that. Just change automated features like Act and Interlude stuff in custom user input for the stuff where they tend to break the template. As long as it'd just track custom quests with who won, and gold/threat/skill/items (again, just custom user input) after that, I'd think that would be already enough for most. The simpler, the better in this case.

One more thing: Viewing the stats, at Wins Per Quest: Other, are the Rumor Quests from the Hero&Monster collections not tracked there?

Like I said, I'm not a great php programmer. Maybe if I was a better one I could have built the site as some sort of framework that allowed users to easily expand on functionality of the website, but that's just not the case.

Just as an example: The Rituals of Shadows quest allows the Overlord to return some or all of his skills to get his xp back. This is the only quest that does this as far as I know in any of the official campaigns.

So for that quest, I had to add an entry to a seperate php file (which I include into the rewards page) which lists all the 'special' rewards. Basically its just a switch/case by quest id.

When the id of the current quest matches the quest id for Ritual of shadows, the case for that id has php code to show a checkbox list of all the skills the overlord has and code to actually save the 'sold' skills and returned xp to the database.

This is just one example of something that needs extra code to implement. It also goes for things like an amount of tokens in the Overlords play area ('Ghost Town' from Trollfens for example).

Seeing as the people making custom quests are only limited by their imagination when it comes to quest rewards, number of encounters, other special rewards,..

I don't see how I should implement this. You can't expect me to allow people to just insert custom php into my website right?

And I don't have the time/skills/knowledge to build some form of system that would allow people to dynamically create a set of checkboxes/selectboxes/whatever and the rules to actually make them function with the website,

that should then be incorporated into a system for submitting quests which allows for the selection of monsters, number of encounters, traits, travel, ... (this would be the 'easiest' part),

which then should in turn be incorporated in some sort of system to define the 'campaign log' for that campaign. (Which is currently also a half custom/half automated system)..

This is, for me at least, not quite so simple..

I will look into the issue of the H&M quests not showing.

Edited by Atom4geVampire

Stroomschok, the H&M quest should show just fine, but stats aren't shown until a quest is actually played at least once. It seems that so far nobody has played any of the H&M quests yet.

I also created a seperate tab for the Heirs of Blood campaign. (Which was also requested before)

I think that this site is fantastic and a very useful tool for tracking Descent campaigns. Great effort!

Here are some issues I have encountered, in regards to a recent Labyrinth of Ruin campaign that we have in progress. I actually added most of the quest details retrospectively, adding info that I had recorded on paper into the campaign tracker. Apologies if these are known issues or have been mentioned elsewhere:

- The Serena plot deck is not an available option for the Overlord at the start of the quest; inconvenient, as that is the plot-deck I had chosen as OL! I double-checked that I had ticked the Serena Lieutenant pack as an available component and I had. I then thought maybe there was some hidden rule about using the Serena plot deck in the LoR campaign that I had overlooked, so tried starting the Shadow Rune campaign and found it was not on the option list here, either.

-In the Honour Among Thieves quest, the players have a reward of "100 gold and any gold revealed in excess of their goal", which was not selectable as an option, I don't think. It is easy to circumvent this by selecting another Search card worth whatever the excess gold was, but only if you know about this in advance! And I guess it is maybe possible to be in a situation where this wouldn't work...

If I am mistaken about any of these, or if there are reasons for the omissions, then I apologise. I do think this is a superb site and will make good use of it during our campaigns, I do not doubt.

I somehow missed this post again, I'll look into it now!

Edited by Atom4geVampire

The Serena plot deck issue has been fixed. Regard, let me know your username on the site and I'll assign the plot deck to your campaign

I'm playing heirs of blood and put in the intro encounter results and am ready to push start n...... it's a blue button but when I push it, nothing happens. Also having trouble adding the correct threat, I knocked out a hero. Thanks, sorry.

But it's seems awesome so far other than that.

Bugs:

*When deleting a quest and re-submitting, if an agent was declared as defeated the first time around, there is no option to change that.

i.e. I accidentally declared the agent dead, so I deleted the quest, and re-entered the details. The agent defeat status cannot be undone.

*When deleting a rumour quest, there is no options to re-select it.

*It would be nice to have the ability to edit the status of the quest, i.e I accidentally marked the heroes as winning the quest instead of the overlord. Without deleting the quest and starting a new, there is no way to edit this.

Ultimately, I deleted the rumour to start again, and the above bug showed itself - I cannot re-enter the rumour.

Hope these suggestions help! :D

I'll let you know of any others I find

I'll take a look at these issues asap

I really love your work on this Descent Tracker. I played around with it for some time and I thought of an improvement, that would help the overlord players out there. I don't know how much time it would take, but perhaps you could give it a thought.

I am focusing on selecting the open monster groups for a quest/encounter. Currently there is a drop down menu to select the monsters. What if there would be a separate page or something, that shows the stats of the monster groups that are electable. I had created a cheat sheet for myself, because I am currently playing the overlord in 3 active campaigns and I spend a lot of time selecting open monster groups. I think it is very annoying to compare all the stats on the monster cards. So I made an tabular sheet that groups monsters by their traits and shows the stats and special abilities in a compact view.

Take a look here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9W08dU3kfn_RWtIbHVnOFRIa1E/view (Stats of "Visions of Dawn" and "Bonds of the Wild" may be faulty. I gathered them in the web because I don't own them yet. So if you find any bugs, let me know and I will correct it)

So I would think of a separate view, that shows the monster groups including their stats in a tabular view. Perhaps open group selection could be done with a checkbox in the first column. But that's just a thought of myself. What do you think about it?

Best regards,

SlimShady

Absolutely love the tool very very cool!!! We just started using the campaign and are using your site to help us remember where we are at!

Here is some info on the update I will upload this evening. (+-7 hours from now):

One thing, in the quest "Heart of the Wilds", the first encounter doens't show an option to choose an open group.

I don't have my quest log with me at the moment, so I can't verify this. When I update this tonight I will add this if it is indeed missing one or more open groups.

Also, when I tried to delet a player from a group (by leaving the space blank as it says) the site marks me that I cannot leave empty spaces.

Good catch, a small bug in the validation logic made deleting players impossible. This is fixed (in this evening's update).

This was already fixed (I also fixed this in your campaign already in progress)

I don't have my quest log with me at the moment, so I can't verify this. When I update this tonight I will see if it is possible to quickly fix this, if not I'll try and fix it soon.

When deleting a quest and re-submitting, if an agent was declared as defeated the first time around, there is no option to change that.
i.e. I accidentally declared the agent dead, so I deleted the quest, and re-entered the details. The agent defeat status cannot be undone.

When a lieutenant is defeated 2 values in the database are changed to reflect that, I forgot to reset one of these values in the delete script. This is fixed (in this evening's update).

When deleting a rumour quest, there is no options to re-select it.

Another bug in the delete logic, because of a last minute change before release. This also affected the undo of 'blocked' monsters in campaigns like Heirs of Blood. This is fixed (in this evening's update). I should be able to find rumors that were incorrectly updated and fix them, so i'll try to do that for your campaign.

It would be nice to have the ability to edit the status of the quest, i.e I accidentally marked the heroes as winning the quest instead of the overlord. Without deleting the quest and starting a new, there is no way to edit this.

Some rewards and such are relative to the winner of the quest. It's much easier (I mean, on my side) to just delete everything related to a quest than to write code that checks what to change, and what not to change. It might not be ideal, but it is intended behaviour.

For later updates I'll look into the suggestions for the 'notes' and for extra monster info. (I guess this page is not sufficient then? http://d2etracker.com/stats_monsters.php)

Edited by Atom4geVampire

A bug that I've found is that most of the lieutenant plot decks aren't registering the threat cost to play plot cards. Love the site keep up the great work.