The Official Rules Correction and Errata thread [IMPORTANT MESSAGE INSIDE]

By Trothael, in Rules Discussions

GTrogi said:

WayToTheDawn said:

A card that is this situational doesn't warrant being gimped because it sounds broken on paper. imo anyway.

An interesting thing is that if it were less situational it wouldn't be bad since everyone could use it.

But anyway, I can see that you guys have considered it a good deal, so although I disagree with it I'm glad it wasn't a blind decision.

I will be playtesting it more and more against different kinds of decks and hopefully I wind up agreeing with you guys, if I find it is too broken I might bring it up again in the future, but right now with my limited playtesting I'll go with the ruling.

One more thing though is that depending what the next set(s) bring, be flexible to changing it since if roxas had some other deasent stuff a lvl 1 with 12 atk could easily be broken, but then again maybe not considering I have zero idea whats in the next set(s).

I do think its awesome that people who will actually do stuff have control over the rulings, just make sure to continue to test all potential rulings first hand.

Also as a suggestion: I think discarding form cards should only be able to be done during your action phase (similar to beast) I know there is a thread about this but I didn't see an 'official' decision on the matter.

Don't worry man, we will be making rulings as fair as we think we can and playtesting them as well.

As for discarding, I'll need to discuss things with one of the others first, but if they incline toward my intentions then I will be adding a text edit to the core rulebook stating that discarding may only take place during your turn unless counter-acted by a card's text. E.G - Form cards and Beast.

Hi all. Long time. Anyways glad to see we have some saw so in this. Now here’s one that has to be looked at. DIZ has some serious rule/errata’s that are needed.

I have alot more but ill post those later

Flag Sora Level 2...when in Valor...does he lose his effect text?

The Rulebook mentions nothing abouot erasing anything on the previous Player Card when it Form Changes...

Thoughts?

WayToTheDawn said:

Flag Sora Level 2...when in Valor...does he lose his effect text?

The Rulebook mentions nothing abouot erasing anything on the previous Player Card when it Form Changes...

Thoughts?

Personally I don't think it would keep it's effect. The Player card has had another card placed over it.

it shouldn't keep it's effect. it'd be like adding the Form Card's abilities onto your player. I mean if the effect transfers over, it's not a stretch to think the support and Magic shouldn't transfer as well. And would you really want an Aggro Valor Sora to have 14ATK +4 more when you challenge him?

But that's just my take on it

I dont think so cause its like how your attack and magic value is now replaced by the form cards attack and magic value, so the text would also be replaced by the new forms text like every other thing on the card replaces except the heart points cause the form doesnt have a heart value to replace the old one... Not sure if that made sense at all lol

Hmm, yes...I hadn't looked at it that way. Good points guys, thanks. ^_^

Just something the Rulebook didn't clarify that I thought should be brought up.

Urgh, my apologies that I haven't updated this yet. Past fortnight I've been busier than ever, and I haven't had chance to talk with RoxaL or Dawn to sort out the new edits.

I should be updating on Saturday after the Org's meeting AND I have something new and shiny for you all to drool over soon to be announced ;]

I propose Wishing Lamp is changed to: "The first time each turn you play an agrabah card, draw a card." For my reasoning, see this thread about the best deck ever.

Highjack said:

I propose Wishing Lamp is changed to: "The first time each turn you play an agrabah card, draw a card." For my reasoning, see this thread about the best deck ever.

I've thought of the idea myself, though I never actually looked to see if a near-full Agrabah deck was possible. And though I agree it is good, I don't think we should take the incredible card of Wishing Lamp and make it a near-useless card. But instead, change the effect of Event 01 by adding "This effect is not cumulative" This will not effect most deck archetypes, while keeping Wishing Lamp as is.

changing event 1 wouldn't solve any of the other things you can do by going infinite. You could make a deck that would let you, on turn 2 or so, get sephiroth, cloud auron and valor form into play. I've thought about this, other then changing fundamental game rules, only a wishing lamp change fixes the problem.

When I've got some time to speak with the others or if they have time to make a ruling in the meantime we'll make sure to inform you.

Highjack said:

Heheh, I'm not confident that's the best deck ever. 'N changin Wishin Lamp isn't the solution.

choitz, I would like to see a deck that was better than winning 70% of its games on turn 2. Fixing wishing lamp is the problem here. I understand a fundamental change to the game rules would work too, but that would be much trickier to do and as the fundamental rules aren't broken just a few cards (I'll just assume pegasus is as bad, though I haven't tried it which is why I wasn't advocating changing it too), it would be better to fix those cards.

Is this really true about Roxas? He officially can use Magic/Friend cards. It he does, then this changes my strategies about my Roxas deck. And the Support Value of Samurai nobody cards is at full POW strength rather than half rounded down.

This is sweet! :)

Fate said:

Is this really true about Roxas? He officially can use Magic/Friend cards. It he does, then this changes my strategies about my Roxas deck. And the Support Value of Samurai nobody cards is at full POW strength rather than half rounded down.

This is sweet! :)

No, No, No....ya see Jaffer said "If there's ever Twilight Town Magic/Friends he can run them"....but if you look at the new Set IV Magic/Friends that came out they don't even have World Symbols to begin with, meaning this will never happen. so Roxas' Effect Text needs edited to reflect this.

So Roxas magic/friend's will never be due to a templating issue? Frankly that bothers me more then the traslation errors, not to say that those aren't also annoying.

I personally don't see what would be so bad with letting Roxas have access to magic/friends. He can't use Genie or Simba lvl 4 (unless you manage to get out all three rare truffles, and that's quite a hoop to jump thru) and though I can see an arguement being made for Bambi's (which I'd disagree with, what with light decks having Bambi, Pegasus, Wishing Lamp, Cid, various friend search cards, many of which aren't very vulnerable worlds), I believe that gaining access to Dumbo, and thus a desperately needed answer to Stealth Sneak, would help with making a more varied meta-game.

So Roxas magic/friend's will never be due to a templating issue? Frankly that bothers me more then the translation errors, not to say that those aren't also annoying.

I personally don't see what would be so bad with letting Roxas have access to magic/friends. He can't use Genie or Simba lvl 4 (unless you manage to get out all three rare truffles, and that's quite a hoop to jump thru) and though I can see an arguement being made for Bambi's (which I'd disagree with, what with light decks having Bambi, Pegasus, Wishing Lamp, Cid, various friend search cards, many of which aren't very vulnerable worlds), I believe that gaining access to Dumbo, and thus a desperately needed answer to Stealth Sneak, would help with making a more varied meta-game.

edit:spelling

well, based on actually playing the roxas deck, I think bambi would be a huge boost. I think it has less to do with power level though and more to do with flavor, I mean roxas didn't get any magic/friends, so why would it make sense that he would here?

hrm, this site has no 'edit' button does it? woops.

I was afraid that this would come up. It is true, it doesn't follow the videogame, but neither does challanging other players. Seems to me it'd be more true to the game if you couldn't challenge and everything came down to who world ran and 'finished the game' first. More flavor, but the game would be a lot less interesting without that option, even in the first few sets when world running was more viable.

I've a simple but firm belief when it comes to games: Gameplay before all else. When a game suffers for the sake of flavor or story, something's gone wrong.

winddrake said:

I was afraid that this would come up. It is true, it doesn't follow the videogame, but neither does challanging other players. Seems to me it'd be more true to the game if you couldn't challenge and everything came down to who world ran and 'finished the game' first. More flavor, but the game would be a lot less interesting without that option, even in the first few sets when world running was more viable.

I've a simple but firm belief when it comes to games: Gameplay before all else. When a game suffers for the sake of flavor or story, something's gone wrong.

Actually that is false. Days allows you to challenge other players and if I remember correctly the GBA version of CoM allowed you to Link Battle.

WR is still runable, just not the quick version that everyone is used to.

well, the top 2 decks at gencon were world runners, so I would say it's probably pretty good. I don't have a problem with doing things that aren't in line with how they were in teh video game, I'm just saying that's probably why it was done. I don't really feel you can make the argument game play suffers by not letting roxas have magic/friends, the deck is plenty good and plenty viable as is, I think if he could use magic friends that might be enough to push it into the argument for best deck status (you know, once wishing lamp is fixed and there is an argument to be had). At the very least, if he got magic/friends he would need samurai to have its power halved.

Roxas said:

winddrake said:

Actually that is false. Days allows you to challenge other players and if I remember correctly the GBA version of CoM allowed you to Link Battle.

WR is still runable, just not the quick version that everyone is used to.

woops, my mistake. okay, bad example, but my point is that gameplay is more important then the story behind it. I'll try and be a bit more careful with my fact checking >.<

Highjack said:

well, the top 2 decks at gencon were world runners, so I would say it's probably pretty good. I don't have a problem with doing things that aren't in line with how they were in teh video game, I'm just saying that's probably why it was done. I don't really feel you can make the argument game play suffers by not letting roxas have magic/friends, the deck is plenty good and plenty viable as is, I think if he could use magic friends that might be enough to push it into the argument for best deck status (you know, once wishing lamp is fixed and there is an argument to be had). At the very least, if he got magic/friends he would need samurai to have its power halved.

I'm not saying that world running isn't viable anymore, just that aggro has a higher chance of winning then it has in the past. I actually feel that the two have been balanced out to a reasonable level. I also didn't mean to say that the game as a whole suffers from this ruling, I'm sorry that I gave that impression. I was making a blanket statement because I feel very strongly on that matter.

The roxas deck I use right now actually runs fairly well to be honest, it just tends to crumple when I come to a situation where I have no choice but run. (I've plenty of worlds, it's the loss of friends) I don't believe that getting magic/friends would send roxas into best deck status, though I do agree that samurai should probably have it's power halved. Having 3 near ultima weapons is a bit much, even though it's probably the card that keeps roxas in the metagame at all. I just have issues with the current template and ruling. He can only use magic/friends that are from twilight town, but magic/friends aren't ever from anywhere? Add that to having no way around Stealth Sneak or way to consistantly deal 2 damage in a turn... I just feel so close to a solution and it's getting me frustrated, sorry if I'm being difficult.

winddrake: fundamentally I agree with you, I really do. My whole thing is that I feel that as printed they clearly didn't want Roxas using magic/friend cards, there may not be a solid gameplay reason for this but that's that. If you start changing cards to make them playable it's a real slippery slope. I mean ansem is terrible, but if we changed a few things, like lower his level to non lethal KK range, let him use attack cards, give him some sort of bonus for dark cards (I don't know, just throwing these out there) then he could be a viable deck. The fact is the original design team (tomy or whoever since FFG had nothign to do with design) did a terrible job in a lot of cases and we kind of just have to accept that.

It's true... the intentions do point against magic/friends and I just accepted it untill I saw the errata. Just got my hopes up I guess, ah well.

I shouldn't be complaining about it anyway, it works well enough as is.