The Official Rules Correction and Errata thread [IMPORTANT MESSAGE INSIDE]

By Trothael, in Rules Discussions

Now, Jaffer has just emailed me about the current situation regarding rules and questions and has given myself, WayToTheDawn , Roxas_Lawliet / Sora_Yagami and Gopho our old power to make rulings AND has given me permission to create this errata to make edits to the rulebook and card texts/timings.

Quote from Jaffer:

Hello Liam,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you - I have had both hands (and feet) tied up with Gen Con and it has been taking me forever to respond to everyone. I will tell you what (and you may spread this around to Brett, Nate, and Gordon) that because I am still caught in the post-Gen Con tidal wave, I am empowering you (for the time being) to make and prepare a complete rulings and timing structure document . Brett started one before a while ago, and it is probably due for an update.

I will only answer rules questions from you guys and you can pass them on in the document. When you're done, Rob and I (probably with the help of the Japanese design team) will look it over, make any necessary corrections, and post it to the website. This way, we can avoid the unnecessary clutter of of posting and reposting, emailing and remailing etc. etc.

As you can see, all ruling questions are to be emailed to us first and then we shall pass them on to Jaffer to avoid putting more pressure on him and the KH team. What we can answer will be posted in this errata thread and it's sister thread, the Rules and Rulings thread.

So remember to email your rules based questions to:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

I will be editting this thread as often as I can along with the collaboration of my fellow ex-moderators.

So, without further adieu: The errata itself!:

Key for reading this errata:

All text edits are now written in bold text.
Card effects (Barring Player card text) are written in italics.
_V_ means "When this card enters play", in place of the symbol used on the cards.

Core Rulebook Text

Set I - Base Set

Set II - A Darkness Awakened

Stealth Sneak LVL4 62/128 R
Dark/Heartless
POW1
All damage dealt to this card in Battle or by Magic is reduced to 0.

Set III - Light And Darkness

Set IV - Break of Dawn

Axel LVL 2 7/162 U
7/2
7HP
Player/XIII
You cannot play Attack cards, Friend card or Magic/Friend cards. You may put Nobody and Player/XIII cards into your Friend area as Friends. The Support value of Nobody cards played in this manner is half of their original POW (Rounded down). Nobody cards played in this manner ignore the 'Unique Card' rule. Treat Nobody cards as both Nobody cards and Friend cards. Axel can play all "Fire" effect cards regardless of the Magic value. If you use Axel in a Challenge against 'Roxas', you lose 5 attack value.

Xaldin LVL 2 8/162 U
5/2
7HP
Player/XIII
You cannot play Attack cards, Friend card or Magic/Friend cards. You may put Nobody and Player/XIII cards into your Friend area as Friends. The Support value of Nobody cards played in this manner is half of their original POW (Rounded down). Nobody cards played in this manner ignore the 'Unique Card' rule. Treat Nobody cards as both Nobody cards and Friend cards.

Roxas LVL 1 9/162 SR
3/1
8HP
Player/XIII
Treat this card's name as 'Mysterious Boy', as well as 'Roxas'. At the beginning of the game: Choose one Oathkeeper equipment card from your deck and equip it to this card, then shuffle your deck. This card can only be equipped with Oathkeeper and Oblivion equipment cards. Roxas cannot play Magic/Friends. Only Twilight Town Friends and Samurai Nobody cards can be played as Friends cards if this card is your Player card. Samurai Nobody cards played in this manner treat their POW value as their Support value.

DiZ LVL1 13/162 R
Friend
+2/0
_V_ Place 5 +1 Support Counters on this card if Riku is your player card. During your turn you may remove X amount of counters to give your Player card +X Attack Power till the end of the turn.

Spear 82/162 U
Equipment
+2/0
(You may have more than 3 copies of this card in your deck) Only Xaldin may equip this card. Xaldin can equip up to 6 of these. When Xaldin is the Player card and has 4 or more of these equipped he may challenge twice in the challenge phase.

Chakrams 86/162 U
+3/0
(You may have more than 3 copies of this card in your deck)
Only 'Axel' may equip this card. Axel may equip up to 2 of these. While this card is equipped; Fire magic cards you play deal +4 damage. You may discard this card from play, if you do: deal 3 damage to 1 target Dark card in play.

Event 1 P
All players lose -1HP. You may only apply this effect once per turn.

PLEASE NOTE:

Since the "Beast" card has multiple copies through the last 3 sets, whilst using it in game you should use the following modified text for it's effect, where 'X' is equal to Beast's level:
FURIOUS BELLOW: You may discard this card from your friend area, if you do so, choose and discard one Dar/Heartless Card in play of Level X+1 or below.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Disclaimers:
This errata is a temporary measure put together by us for psuedo-official use. Whilst these edits are already approved by FFG Jaffer and FFG Rob, they are also going to be approved again by the FFG staff and put into a downloadable PDF for your ease of use, but until their approval this is the best you're going to get. Please remember that they are the closest thing to official we've had from FFG in a long time, and should be accepted as official rulings. Any complaints with these rulings should be discussed in this thread or e-mailed to Trothael or WayToTheDawn.
These edits are only there for clarification purposes in the meantime. They will be presented in a different format soon.

Further note: These rules are tweaked by the fans of this game, but they are not just something made up for unofficial use.

Version history:
25/08/09 - 0.01 - Errata launched. Emails added. Roxas, Xaldin, Axel and Rings added.
30/08/09 - 0.02 - Reading key added. Texts editted to match reading key.
12/09/09 - 0.1 - Beast LVL3, Spear, Stealth Sneak LVL4, Event 1, DiZ LVL1 added. Roxas editted. Disclaimers added. Version history added. Credits added. Reading key updated.
17/09/09 - 0.1.1 - Beast fix'd.

Credits:
WayToTheDawn/Brett Wright -
Making and deciding on rulings. Making edits.

Trothael/Liam Stanway -
Making and deciding on rulings. Making edits.

Choitz -
Recommendations

I believe we all know that Pegasus needs to be on this list.

Roxas said:

I believe we all know that Pegasus needs to be on this list.

Pegasus, Wishing Lamp, Hades, ummm...crap...what else am I forgetting...

Oh and Troth...maybe you should include our emails in the main post?

Along with the OrgXIII players, Roxas, Air Pirate ('Cause o' CoWG) etc etc

Basicly 50% of set IV

Will do now, Mr. Dawn.

The Olympia reruling about discarding friends.

Leon Set IV

I really want to say the name of the card "Rings"

Roxas said:

THIS

OMG...THIS

WE KNOW WHAT CHAKRAMS ARE!!

WayToTheDawn said:

Roxas said:

THIS

OMG...THIS

WE KNOW WHAT CHAKRAMS ARE!!

Done.

Player/XIII cards and Roxas added.

I'm overturning Jaffer's ruling about Axel only being able to play 'Fire' since Axel reads 'Fire effect' and Fira and Firaga both read 'Fire Effect'.

Roxas is only there as a placeholder. I need to discuss with Dawn or RoxaL on whether or not Samurai's POW is halved.

Trothael said:

Chakrams 86/162 U
+3/0
(You may have more than 3 copies of this card in your deck)
Only 'Axel' may equip this card. Axel may equip up to 2 of these. While this card is equipped; Fire magic cards you play deal +4 damage. You may discard this card from play, if you do: deal 3 damage to 1 target Dark card in play.

<333333333333333333333333333333333

Set 2 and 4 you could probably hit Beast about being discarded

Ummm....I'll think more after I get back tonight and I'll get you more ^^

Right, I'm only posting entire card texts for now. Once I've got a few more edits written, I'll only be adding the changes to the text to make finding out edits easier.

Can someone post a short list of the cards that need fixing most plx?

Also: Roxas now comes with more fixed card text.

Trothael said:

Right, I'm only posting entire card texts for now. Once I've got a few more edits written, I'll only be adding the changes to the text to make finding out edits easier.

dood...Roxas can't use Magic/Friends -_-''

Here's a link to a card database: www.universaltcgs.com/databases.html

WayToTheDawn said:

Trothael said:

dood...Roxas can't use Magic/Friends -_-''

Here's a link to a card database: www.universaltcgs.com/databases.html

Jaffer said the only Magic/Friends he could play were TT ones, that haven't been released yet. Did I do wrong? D:

I've got a card database already, though it lacks images for clarification. Cheers.

i would say that roxas doesnt say samurais pow is halfed then it wouldnt be halfed

comdieguy said:

i would say that roxas doesnt say samurais pow is halfed then it wouldnt be halfed

which is what the eratta says.

So, Wishing Lamp, et. al. hit all of the appropriate cards, right? As in, Genie, Jasmine, Agrabah lvl 1, etc?

Heres my one question that i can remember from the top of my head.

Jack Sparrow Vs. Leon (Set 2)

If Leon is the highest friend in play and I have Jack Can i Activate the effect and it would resolve without effect since its target can not be discarded by effect. Or I have to target a Lv 3 Friend in play or I cant activate the effect period.

The way I'v been playing with my friends is that I can not activate the effect of Jack. I just want to know.

Fairbanks said:

So, Wishing Lamp, et. al. hit all of the appropriate cards, right? As in, Genie, Jasmine, Agrabah lvl 1, etc?

Wishing Lamp targets any card that has Agrabah on it, whether the same named card, or the lil icon on the card. I don't know if Genie has the icon, though..

Vice said:

Heres my one question that i can remember from the top of my head.

Jack Sparrow Vs. Leon (Set 2)

If Leon is the highest friend in play and I have Jack Can i Activate the effect and it would resolve without effect since its target can not be discarded by effect. Or I have to target a Lv 3 Friend in play or I cant activate the effect period.

The way I'v been playing with my friends is that I can not activate the effect of Jack. I just want to know.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Jack's effect can't target Leon, due to Leon's effect declarin it can't be the target of any discardin effect. But since Jack's effect still triggers, it targets the next highest level friend in play, whether yours or your opponents.

Or that's how I've been playin it out, seein that Simba lvl 4 can't target Leon, so you must choose Leon to stay in play when the Simba is play'd.

none of the new magic freinds have the world icon so they wouldnt draw

Trothael said:

Roxas LVL 1 9/162 SR
3/1
8HP
Player/Light
Treat this card's name as 'Mysterious Boy', as well as 'Roxas'. At the beginning of the game: Choose one Oathkeeper equipment card from your deck and equip it to this card, then shuffle your deck. This card can only be equipped with Oathkeeper and Oblivion equipment cards. Only Twilight Town Friends, Magic/Friends and Samurai Nobody cards can be played as Friends cards if this card is your Player card. Samurai Nobody cards played in this manner treat their POW value as their Support value.

Seriously guys?, this is way over powered, this essentially says roxas can use 4 ultimas(and its limit 1 for a reason), this needs to be changed to be consistant with other darks and nobodys, 6 pow still makes it a good card, nicely balanced (and I'm sure what they intended) but 12 is just plain over powered.

I seriously hope you guys considerer changing this

GTrogi said:

Trothael said:

Roxas LVL 1 9/162 SR
3/1
8HP
Player/Light
Treat this card's name as 'Mysterious Boy', as well as 'Roxas'. At the beginning of the game: Choose one Oathkeeper equipment card from your deck and equip it to this card, then shuffle your deck. This card can only be equipped with Oathkeeper and Oblivion equipment cards. Only Twilight Town Friends, Magic/Friends and Samurai Nobody cards can be played as Friends cards if this card is your Player card. Samurai Nobody cards played in this manner treat their POW value as their Support value.

Seriously guys?, this is way over powered, this essentially says roxas can use 4 ultimas(and its limit 1 for a reason), this needs to be changed to be consistant with other darks and nobodys, 6 pow still makes it a good card, nicely balanced (and I'm sure what they intended) but 12 is just plain over powered.

I seriously hope you guys considerer changing this

We chose to give Sam full power since Roxas was essentially one of the weaker Players. However he can only play them 1 Sam at a time since they still obey Unique Card rules.

I figuered that was why, but I still disagree with it strongly, playtest it, With this ruling I can see why it won gencon, the thing is, a lvl 1 with 6 atk is still awesome!

Playtest it, if you still don't think it's overpowered than fine, but don't just shrug it off because "you guys decided".

On less important note, it also makes no sence thematically and consistancy wise, I'm pretty sure sephiroth could beat a samurie 1v1, but not with this ruling :P , and all the other darks/nobodys are like that so its not consitant either.

edit: no need to make a new post:, in reply to your post below this: Playtest it, if you guys are going to be in charge of ruleings you need to spend some time and effort (albeit its probably not hard to spend more time and effort than ffg does/did :P ) to try and balance the game as best as possible.

GTrogi said:

I figuered that was why, but I still disagree with it strongly, playtest it, With this ruleing I can see why it won gencon, the thing is, a lvl 1 with 6 atk is still awesome!

If it turns out to be too broken, we can always change it. For now though this is what me and Dawn thought would work best.

well, as I said in my tournament report, samurai was the MVP of that deck. It was probably the card that consistently let me beat valor decks in challenges knocking off their valor form. I don't really think it's overpowered though, I mean, 3 out of 43 cards weren't what let me win, it had more to do with people not being prepared for the deck.

Our decision on Roxas was heavily discussed and I saw with my own eyes at GenCon that, while it was powerful, it wasn't what won him the tournament. We did indeed talk about the consistency factor as you mentioned with the other Dark/OXIII players and we came to the same conclusion, that it's powerful, not broken or overpowered...something we're trying to do is help make decks like this possible without hurting the game balance. So believe when I say sir that we are in fact spending ample time with these erratas and rulings.

Look at it this way:

For a Samurai to be that powerful, it can only be run by Roxas (1 player card out of many) who can only play those Nobodies(compared to the other OXIII players who can use them all) and the inferior Twilight Town friends (inferior to Light and Dark friends mind you).

A card that is this situational doesn't warrant being gimped because it sounds broken on paper. imo anyway.

WayToTheDawn said:

A card that is this situational doesn't warrant being gimped because it sounds broken on paper. imo anyway.

An interesting thing is that if it were less situational it wouldn't be bad since everyone could use it.

But anyway, I can see that you guys have considered it a good deal, so although I disagree with it I'm glad it wasn't a blind decision.

I will be playtesting it more and more against different kinds of decks and hopefully I wind up agreeing with you guys, if I find it is too broken I might bring it up again in the future, but right now with my limited playtesting I'll go with the ruling.

One more thing though is that depending what the next set(s) bring, be flexible to changing it since if roxas had some other deasent stuff a lvl 1 with 12 atk could easily be broken, but then again maybe not considering I have zero idea whats in the next set(s).

I do think its awesome that people who will actually do stuff have control over the rulings, just make sure to continue to test all potential rulings first hand.

Also as a suggestion: I think discarding form cards should only be able to be done during your action phase (similar to beast) I know there is a thread about this but I didn't see an 'official' decision on the matter.