[UNOFFICIAL] Rules Clarifications and FAQs

By Ghost Dancer, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

There was one discussion...re. whether or not you could overlap you ships during setup to create a big pile of plastic. The answer from FFG was NO (not very surprising), but there was quite the debate.

Wow, really? Its seems pretty obvious to me that that's not an option. Prob worth adding though, thanks.

Hello, Lyraeus,

In response to your question:

Rules Question:

Does the plastic portion of the base count for measuring range for attacks and other things that require Hull Zone? Hull Zones in the Rules Reference Guide reads "A Hull Zone is a section of a ship token delineated by the two firing arc lines that border it. It does not include any part of the plastic base." This question comes up because several people from GenCon have stated that they were told that the base counts for attacking.

The plastic base (excluding the shield dial frames) does block line-of-sight and is used when measuring for a non-attack measurement (such as for a card effect that requires another ship be at distance 1–3). Attack measurement is the special case because the specific hull zones matter; during attack measurement, you must measure to and from the ship tokens.

Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen

Game Designer

Fantasy Flight Games

[email protected]

Is the ruling on XI-7 and advanced projectors included in this rules clarification compilation? Seems like it's not, yet.

Can you really add more black dice to your roll when using a CF command on Paragon's second attack? It is listed as yes you can in the compilation but it seems like the wording in the attack steps would be no...

Also could you clarify how Raymus Antiles works, in the compilation post about card upgrades? I've had several opponents misunderstand WHEN he gives a token and believe that he can be used to replace a token used that very same turn (IE reveal squadron command, use squadron command with squadron token, use Antiles to put a squadron token command on the ship again immediately after).

Is the ruling on XI-7 and advanced projectors included in this rules clarification compilation? Seems like it's not, yet.

Can you really add more black dice to your roll when using a CF command on Paragon's second attack? It is listed as yes you can in the compilation but it seems like the wording in the attack steps would be no...

XI7 vs. AP: It's in the FAQ, so doesn't need to be here.

Pargon: Yes, you can. Because you already have a black dice in your pool you can add another.

Also could you clarify how Raymus Antiles works, in the compilation post about card upgrades? I've had several opponents misunderstand WHEN he gives a token and believe that he can be used to replace a token used that very same turn (IE reveal squadron command, use squadron command with squadron token, use Antiles to put a squadron token command on the ship again immediately after).

Raymus' function is clearly stated on his card: WHEN you REVEAL a command (dial), you MAY gain 1 matching command token WITHOUT spending the dial (normally you must immediately spend the dial to get the token).

So, when you reveal the dial, you get a matching token. Not before, nor after. And only if you want. Without spending the dial.

Edited by Green Knight

XI7 vs. AP: It's in the FAQ, so doesn't need to be here.

Pargon: Yes, you can. Because you already have a black dice in your pool you can add another.

Yep, I've not included stuff here if its in the official FAQ (unless its been added to the official one afterwards).

Will check my attack info to see if it needs updating with Lyraeus' post.

I thought Raymus was pretty straight forward too, but if others are having difficulties with him I'll consider adding to the clarifications

So I have a question concerning exhausting tokens. I am going to be running 2 mc80's for wave 2 and each will have overload pulse, but I might change it if what I think is true. My question is can you attack overload pulse, and then with my second ship overload pulse again and they discard all tokens? or are they just exhausted and that's it, even if it occurs twice?

So I have a question concerning exhausting tokens. I am going to be running 2 mc80's for wave 2 and each will have overload pulse, but I might change it if what I think is true. My question is can you attack overload pulse, and then with my second ship overload pulse again and they discard all tokens? or are they just exhausted and that's it, even if it occurs twice?

Exhausted components cannot be Exhausted again.

Ergo, on the second Overload, nothing happens.

RRG, Page 6 "Exhausted"

Exhausted Cards and defense tokens can be exhausted.

Exhausted cards and defense tokens cannot be exhausted again.

• To exhaust an upgrade card, rotate it 90° clockwise.

• To exhaust a defense token, flip it from its readied side to its exhausted side.

• When a card or defense token is readied, it is no longer exhausted.

If the word was "Spend" rather than "Exhaust", you'd be in the money.

Edited by Drasnighta

Exhausted components cannot be Exhausted again.

Ergo, on the second Overload, nothing happens.

RRG, Page 6 "Exhausted"

Exhausted Cards and defense tokens can be exhausted.

Exhausted cards and defense tokens cannot be exhausted again.

• To exhaust an upgrade card, rotate it 90° clockwise.

• To exhaust a defense token, flip it from its readied side to its exhausted side.

• When a card or defense token is readied, it is no longer exhausted.

If the word was "Spend" rather than "Exhaust", you'd be in the money.

Guess I'm using the NK-7 ion cannons instead then

Thanks!

Engine Techs and Thrust Control Malfunction interaction:

Rules Question:

Interaction between Engine Techs and Thrust Control Malfunction I request a clarification re. the way Engine Techs and Thrust Control Malfunction interact. Does Engine Tech effectively ignore the critical effect? Or is the yaw reduction always applied for the extra Engine Tech move? Or, more curiously, does the yaw penalty apply only then the speed DIAL is set to 1 and Engine Tech activated?

Engine Techs is impacted by Thrust Control Malfunction only if the ship’s current speed is 1. If the ship’s speed dial is set to “2," the extra maneuver from Engine Techs is not impacted.

Intel officer and targeting your own tokens:

> Rules Question:
> Hi, Can a Intel Officer be used to target your own defense tokens?

Yes, a ship equipped with Intel Officer can choose one of its own defense tokens while resolving the card.

Thanks for your question!

Michael Gernes
Game Producer
[email protected]

Edited by Green Knight

Nav Team + Ozzel:

Hey, I had a question concerning the possible interaction between Nav Team, and Admiral Ozzel. So if my ship spends a Nav token and also has Nav teams I can either change my speed or yaw. If I'm running under Ozzel's banner, can I also increase my speed by an "additional" one, per Ozzel, or not because Nav Team is a replacement effect? (So with this setup could I change my speed, and increase my yaw by one with just a Nav token?) Thanks!

Yes, you can in fact use Nav command using the token, resolve the Nav Team effect to increase your yaw by 1, and also resolve Admiral Ozzel’s effect to change your speed by 1.

Thanks for your question!

Michael Gernes
Game Producer

Edited by Green Knight

Heavy fighters screening the Instigator:

Rules Question:

Hi! I have a question about Armada, spcificaly about the Instigator title and heavy squadrons. If the Instigator is engegeing an enemy squadorn with it's two imaginary squads, the enemy squad can still attack ships as the engement rule says you must attack engaged squads "if possible" and if Instigator is the only source of engegement, it clearly is not possible to attack a squadron. But if we add in a squadron with the Heavy keyword, it then becomes possible to attack a squadron, so would the enemy squad then be forced to attack the heavy suqadron instead of a ship? The heavy squad, as per the key word defenition, can not prevent attacks on ships, but in this case the imaginary squads can as they don't have the heavy key word.

The enemy ship can attack the Instigator despite the presence of the squadrons with Heavy. The enemy squadron cannot attack the “imaginary” squadrons created by the Instigator (since it isn’t possible), and the Heavy keyword means the enemy squadron doesn’t have to attack those heavy squadrons. The Heavy keyword is intended to remove that Heavy squadron from the set of squadrons that must be attacked before the ship can be attacked.

Q: Can you measure from enemy squadrons mark that spot on the play surface (finger or token), using one range ruler?
A: Yes, as long as they don’t use more tools than the ruler followed by a fingertip, token, or an equivalent, they can premeasure in that way.
Q: Can you move a squadron to engage an enemy squadron, measure to make sure it is/isn't engaged and adjust the final position of the squadron as required?
A: If you clearly communicate your intent to your opponent and can quickly get your squadron in its intended position, this is reasonable. Your opponent is free to call the judge/TO over if the process seems to be taking too long (slow play) or if it seems like your intended position wasn’t clear.

I had this issue come up this weekend in a tournament. I thought I could use my finger (or really anything else reasonable except another range ruler or measuring tool), but my opponent said no.

I don't see this in the FAQs.

Did this answer come from an email from FFG?

Q: Can you measure from enemy squadrons mark that spot on the play surface (finger or token), using one range ruler?
A: Yes, as long as they don’t use more tools than the ruler followed by a fingertip, token, or an equivalent, they can premeasure in that way.
Q: Can you move a squadron to engage an enemy squadron, measure to make sure it is/isn't engaged and adjust the final position of the squadron as required?
A: If you clearly communicate your intent to your opponent and can quickly get your squadron in its intended position, this is reasonable. Your opponent is free to call the judge/TO over if the process seems to be taking too long (slow play) or if it seems like your intended position wasn’t clear.

I had this issue come up this weekend in a tournament. I thought I could use my finger (or really anything else reasonable except another range ruler or measuring tool), but my opponent said no.

I don't see this in the FAQs.

Did this answer come from an email from FFG?

I was wondering this myself. Official or not, it seems to be a pretty common practice. But I wasn't sure if I should be doing it myself.

If I've stated 'official' (as in this case) then its from an official FFG email or similar (that someone else posted).

Edited by Ghost Dancer

Has there been any clarification on the Tournament rules ending at the end of the round rather than immediately once all ships are destroyed according to the rules reference?

Edited by AdminAnonymous

Sorry, I've been a bit lax of late (busy with work and other projects, so don't have much time to peruse the forums). If anyone has suggestions for additions to rules or links posts, please post here or PM me (I should get a notification and can update the original posts as required) - just make sure it is a commonly asked question with a verified answer, or a useful link of some sort.

Thanks.

Is the wrong information on the X-i7's here?

In the second post does this not need to be removed?

XI7 Turbolasers vs. Advanced Projectors

Official response: The defender can suffer 1 damage on each hull zone that it redirected to. For example, if the defender’s front hull zone was attacked and the damage total is 5, it can suffer 1 damage on the left zone, 1 damage on the rear zone, 1 damage on the right zone, and the remaining 2 damage must go to the front zone.

Is the wrong information on the X-i7's here?

In the second post does this not need to be removed?

XI7 Turbolasers vs. Advanced Projectors

Official response: The defender can suffer 1 damage on each hull zone that it redirected to. For example, if the defender’s front hull zone was attacked and the damage total is 5, it can suffer 1 damage on the left zone, 1 damage on the rear zone, 1 damage on the right zone, and the remaining 2 damage must go to the front zone.

That was the Answer at one time

That answer was changed in an FAQ

So it is no longer correct.