[UNOFFICIAL] Rules Clarifications and FAQs

By Ghost Dancer, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

There's a big discussion over the 'Opening Salvo' objective right now; and whether it literally means 'add 2 dice of any colour' at any range; or just of the appropriate range dice. Can anyone from FFG clarify this please?

Pretty sure the answer is on the range ruler...

There's a big discussion over the 'Opening Salvo' objective right now; and whether it literally means 'add 2 dice of any colour' at any range; or just of the appropriate range dice. Can anyone from FFG clarify this please?

Oh, good that you mentioned that. I am sure noone in the 84 replies of the thread discussing it thought of it.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/173817-question-about-opening-salvo-objective/

Edit: Also this thread is not for discussions.

Edited by chrisdk

Oh, good that you mentioned that. I am sure noone in the 84 replies of the thread discussing it thought of it.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/173817-question-about-opening-salvo-objective/

Edit: Also this thread is not for discussions.

As mentioned in the original post:

"PLEASE DO NOT POST UNANSWERED QUESTIONS HERE, ONLY ANSWERS OR LINKS TO COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ON THESE FORUMS. THANKS."

If you want to join the debate about Opening Salvo, that other thread is a great place to go. If you find some official ruling from FFG on Opening Salvo, this thread is the place to bring it up.

This thread got pinned. Nice.

This thread got pinned. Nice.

I'm taking credit for that.

I sent an email asking for it to be pinned. Thanks to the webmaster/mod for doing that :)

@Aminar: Discussion about what should go in the main post (or not is fine), but chat about specific questions are best kept to those threads - with the amount of questions and debates going on, it just helps keeps things a little tidy.

So back on topic, please suggest any questions that have cropped up recently that you think should be added here.

Edited by Ghost Dancer

I sent an email asking for it to be pinned. Thanks to the webmaster/mod for doing that :)

@Aminar: Discussion about what should go in the main post (or not is fine), but chat about specific questions are best kept to those threads - with the amount of questions and debates going on, it just helps keeps things a little tidy.

So back on topic, please suggest any questions that have cropped up recently that you think should be added here.

I don't think we'll get much until wave 1 hits. Most questions appear to be answered or unanswerable with current info.(Hence the bump.) Threads like this should not get lost.

Good work on getting this thread pinned Ghost Dancer.

As time goes on this should develop into a valuable resource.

Hi Ghost Dancer,

As this was brought up in another thread, it perhaps bares inclusion in your FAQ in the attack steps section:

Step 2) Attacker gathers base attack dice that apply from the ship or squadron and rolls them.

Step 3) Attacker then modifies dice *including any dice additions to the attack pool* and rolls or rerolls accordingly.

There was some confusion about this. This basically means that the extra dice from the Concentrate Fire dial is added *after* you do you the initial attack roll. Same thing for cards like the Dominator ship title.

Also worth noting that cards that add dice to your battery armament (Enhanced Armament, Expanded Launchers etc) would be added before rolling as they directly change your profile rather than adding dice as an effect.

Also worth noting that cards that add dice to your battery armament (Enhanced Armament, Expanded Launchers etc) would be added before rolling as they directly change your profile rather than adding dice as an effect.

Correct! Mind you, not that it matters as there's never any reason to not use those added dice as they have no drawbacks and can always be used. Unlike Dominator which drains your shields, and Concentrate Fire which can only be used on one of your two attacks.

I've added a bit about attack dice, and also corrected a typo on the page reference for attack timing.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Since this thread is now pinned, I've added a new Useful Links section. As always, please post any suggestions you think should be added.

Edited by Ghost Dancer

Updated the targeting section with the new ruling about range and firing arc. Pretty sure everything else is still correct.

As well as adding a couple of new clarifications, I've reorganised things a bit so there are now 3 sections (each in a separate post):

Main Rules (the generic rules)

Specific cards and abilities (abilities from upgrade and squadron cards)

Useful Links

Hopefully this will make it easier for people to find what they're looking for.

Edit: Added a touch of colour so the topics stand out more.

Edited by Ghost Dancer

As well as adding a couple of new clarifications, I've reorganised things a bit so there are now 3 sections (each in a separate post):

Main Rules (the generic rules)

Specific cards and abilities (abilities from upgrade and squadron cards)

Useful Links

Hopefully this will make it easier for people to find what they're looking for.

Edit: Added a touch of colour so the topics stand out more.

Thanks for all this, for the record.

Do squadrons gain defense tokens? The cards have defense icons at the bottom, but I can't find anything in the rules to indicate if they do or don't.

Edited by jskinny

Do squadrons gain defense tokens? The cards have defense icons at the bottom, but I can't find anything in the rules to indicate if they do or don't.

Named squadrons have defense tokens.

One query about picture 1. It states that all four SD sections are in the Corvettes right arc. But to get to the SD's right section it would need to pass through another zone. Therefore, as I understand the rules, it is not in arc. (page 19 of the LTP).

One query about picture 1. It states that all four SD sections are in the Corvettes right arc. But to get to the SD's right section it would need to pass through another zone. Therefore, as I understand the rules, it is not in arc. (page 19 of the LTP).

It is in arc, but not in Line of Sight. They are two separate measurements (although LoS must be within the firing arc).

Also, throw away LtP and just use the Rules Ref as LtP has simplified version of some rules.

Edited by Ghost Dancer

Got an email today back from FFG regarding Garm Bel Iblis and Mon Mothma.

When a ship gains command tokens from Garm's effect, it still cannot end up with more than one copy of each token. If it choses to gain multple tokens of the same type, it must discard down to one of that type.

Mon Mothma's ability is a replacement rather than an additional effect. In other words, at medium range, you can reroll OR cancel a die, but not both.

Both questions will be added to the next FAQ.

Added some extra clarifications about specific defense tokens, and info Maverick's post (thanks for that).

Hello, Bjørn,

In response to your question:

Rules Question:

SW: Armada Question regarding cards that allow you to turn a dice face into a face that contains a specific symbol. Examples: Admiral Screed Warlord Can we get a FAQ entry SPECIFICALLY stating that Screed can change a dice into HIT-CRIT (black dice) and Warlord HIT-HIT (red dice)? It seems IMPLIED by the rules - there are only 3 types of icons: HIT, CRIT, ACC, so it follows that the HIT-HIT face (for example) is merely composed of two instances of the HIT icon, and should therefore be a valid pick for Warlord. There are several discussions re. this issue - both in tournaments and on the forum, without any CLEAR and DEFINITIVE answers. Thank you. Bjørn

We’ll add these clarifications to the next version of the FAQ. Screed can change a black die to a face that contains both the HIT and CRIT icon, and Warlord can change a red die to the face with 2 HIT icons.
Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games