[UNOFFICIAL] Rules Clarifications and FAQs

By Ghost Dancer, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

17 minutes ago, Luisgomensoro said:

Guys, Sorry if it has already been asked. Where do I find the rulling on the effect of the contain defende token?

It's on an insert that's included in the package with every ship that has a Contain token: MC80, ISD, Liberty, Interdictor, Hammerhead, Arquitens, and MC75.

You can find the text here .

Thank you,

Just a clarification. If I spend a contain token it prevents the critical effect of more than one critical dice results or Just one?

15 minutes ago, Luisgomensoro said:

Thank you,

Just a clarification. If I spend a contain token it prevents the critical effect of more than one critical dice results or Just one?

It doesn’t cancel dice at all. If the opponent rolls one or more critical results then they can choose a critical effect. If they choose the default critical effect (first damage card is face up) then you can use contain to prevent the effect.

edit: if (and only if) your opponent has the fire control team aboard they can choose to use two critical effects. Regardless, contain only prevents the effect from the default crit

Edited by Odomir
25 minutes ago, Odomir said:

It doesn’t cancel dice at all. If the opponent rolls one or more critical results then they can choose a critical effect. If they choose the default critical effect (first damage card is face up) then you can use contain to prevent the effect.

edit: if (and only if) your opponent has the fire control team aboard they can choose to use two critical effects. Regardless, contain only prevents the effect from the default crit

Further note:

You must choose to spend the contain or not BEFORE the enemy decides on which critical effect to use.

Now, the obvious choice is usually obvious, but it will make a difference when super-powerful effects that make you SPEND the die finally come. (They are specifically mentioned in the RRG, but none yet exist...)

So, as the attacker can resolve only one default critical effect even when he has roled many critical results, if the defender has spent his ships contain token, the default critical effect will not be resumed, right?

Yes. Look at the timing of the attack step. Player 1 rolls dice. Let’s say they roll 10 critical results. They’re still limited to choosing ONE critical effect (at least without the aforementioned fire control team). After the dice are rolled, player 2 elects to use contain in the “spend defense tokens” step. Then player 1 selects which critical effect to trigger (assuming they even have an option, you’d need to put an upgrade on the ship like overload pulse to even have an option other than the default). If the default is chosen then the contain stops it and all damage cards are dealt face down

Edited by Odomir

If I have a Damage Control Officer onboard... does that mean I just elect to stop 'all critical effects'? Or is it a case of choice between stopping the default OR the upgrades... if the latter (default or upgrades) do I have to specify which upgrade I stop?

29 minutes ago, slasher956 said:

If I have a Damage Control Officer onboard... does that mean I just elect to stop 'all critical effects'? Or is it a case of choice between stopping the default OR the upgrades... if the latter (default or upgrades) do I have to specify which upgrade I stop?

If you have DCO and spend a contain, effectively, your opponent cannot choose ANY critical effects.

The wording of DCO is "... , you can prevent the attacker from resolving any critical effects."

I'd say that implies the attacker has to skip the "resolve critical effect" step of his attack completely, leaving crit symbols to do nothing but add to the total damage.

Edit: #ninjadbydawookie

Edited by R4Pi3R

Guys, thank you. Now, how does concentrate fire (dial) works against squadrons? I think that even if you have several squadrons in your hull zone firing arc you will be able to add one dice only against one squadron.

8 minutes ago, Luisgomensoro said:

Guys, thank you. Now, how does concentrate fire (dial) works against squadrons? I think that even if you have several squadrons in your hull zone firing arc you will be able to add one dice only against one squadron.

right. You gain just one die on just one attack.

I appreciate all of the contributions.

Can someone direct me to a concrete location (s) that clarifies the rule on upgrades for Corellian Conflict? If you purchase an upgrade, can you simply 'destroy' it like destroying a squadron to eliminate it from the list (as well as the fleet point total)? Or, do you have to transfer the upgrade in question to a ship and 'destroy' it or allow someone else to destroy during the course of a battle? I have a player who constantly wants to drop upgrades in order to purchase others and I haven't found anywhere that says you can do that. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Spectre-7
37 minutes ago, Spectre-7 said:

Can someone direct me to a concrete location (s) that clarifies the rule on upgrades for Corellian Conflict? If you purchase an upgrade, can you simply 'destroy' it like destroying a squadron to eliminate it from the list (as well as the fleet point total)? Or, do you have to transfer the upgrade in question to a ship and 'destroy' it or allow someone else to destroy during the course of a battle? I have a player who constantly wants to drop upgrades in order to purchase others and I haven't found anywhere that says you can do that. Thanks in advance.

Go to the FAQ. It has a section dedicated to the Corellian Conflict. Also you can just house-rule it. Corellian Conflict is not competitive play (it actually ignores the flotilla limitation) so agree with your friends the way you think is better.

FAQ here

Also to answer that specifically:

Q: Can a player voluntarily remove ships or squadrons from his fleet to reduce his fleet-point value?

A: Yes. However, ships or squadrons removed in this manner are treated as destroyed. The player does not recover resource points from their fleet-point value. Cards with unique names ( such as title upgrade cards ) that have been eliminated in this way cannot be purchased again by any player during the campaign.

The question is about ships and squadrons but you can realize it counts also for upgrades as the answer implies when it talk about titles.

Edited by ovinomanc3r

I have read elsewhere (I don't remember when or by who but it was on this forum) that there was no provision to drop upgrades unless by the destruction of the ship upon which it was equipped. So, I have two interpretations. I can see what you mean by the wording in the above mentioned answer from the FAQ. It would be so helpful if the rules were a little more explicit to include the term "upgrade" along with "ship" and "squadron".

32 minutes ago, Spectre-7 said:

I have read elsewhere (I don't remember when or by who but it was on this forum) that there was no provision to drop upgrades unless by the destruction of the ship upon which it was equipped. So, I have two interpretations. I can see what you mean by the wording in the above mentioned answer from the FAQ. It would be so helpful if the rules were a little more explicit to include the term "upgrade" along with "ship" and "squadron".

There is only one legitimate answer unless you are performing a leap of logic.

And I even have the reason behind it, too:

You can elect to delete squads and ships.

You cannot elect to delete upgrades individually.

They can be deleted by virtue of a ship disappearing.

This is specific to discourage “teching” from Round to Round, as the minimum to delete an upgrade is a ship that would necessarily have to be purchased back.

you can freely detach upgrades that you do not wish to delete first (leaving them unattached yet paid for), but for example, dropping a Turbolaser would necessarily involve dropping a ship with that slot.

The designers did not necessarily want you to be able to AT ALL.

What they have provided is an after-the-fact popular compromise.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:37 PM, Ardaedhel said:

The attacking ship's own hull zone neither blocks (no shot) nor obstructs (-1 die) line of sight.

Any other ships, friendly or not, do obstruct (-1 die) line of sight, but do not block (no shot) line of sight.

Other hull zones on the target ship block line of sight.

RRG pg 7 LINE OF SIGHT

how does the 'friendly' hull zone work? I saw a vid by a tournament player that said you can't shoot through the lines marking hull zones, for example you are broadside on to another ship so can't use the front hull zone as it would have to trace line of sight through the side to do so. many thanks in advance.

11 minutes ago, jboweruk said:

how does the 'friendly' hull zone work? I saw a vid by a tournament player that said you can't shoot through the lines marking hull zones, for example you are broadside on to another ship so can't use the front hull zone as it would have to trace line of sight through the side to do so. many thanks in advance.

For tracings LOS just ignore the hull zone lines of the attacking ships AND every other ship but the defender. If in order to shot at one hull zone the LOS goes across one hull zone line of the defender you cannot shot at that hull zone.

GThyXG1.png

Edited by ovinomanc3r
1 hour ago, jboweruk said:

Either the video was wrong, or possibly you misunderstood the circumstances. You may shoot through your own arc, provided the shot is in all other ways legal.

See if either of these posts helps clarify for you:

5 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

For tracings LOS just ignore the hull zone lines of the attacking ships AND every other ship but the defender. If in order to shot at one hull zone the LOS goes across one hull zone line of the defender you cannot shot at that hull zone.

So forgive me if this is being really silly, but I could attack the same ship with the other side hull zone? Even though it's firing through my own ship? I understand front and rear as turrets rather than olde worlde broadsides, but I'm assuming that only 3 hull zones would be able to trace LOS but not the 4th as it is completely the opposite side of my ship. Edit, I think I get it now.

Edited by jboweruk
Clarified: many thanks
4 minutes ago, jboweruk said:

So forgive me if this is being really silly, but I could attack the same ship with the other side hull zone? Even though it's firing through my own ship? I understand front and rear as turrets rather than olde worlde broadsides, but I'm assuming that only 3 hull zones would be able to trace LOS but not the 4th as it is completely the opposite side of my ship. Edit, I think I get it now.

LOS yes, but you wouldn't accomplish "in arc" requirement so why you care?

1 minute ago, ovinomanc3r said:

LOS yes, but you wouldn't accomplish "in arc" requirement so why you care?

many thanks, that's why I edited it as I realised that. Thanks to all for clarifying my confusion.

thank you for this it has been a great help ...

Hi, first time here. Are engineering points a one time thing or can they be used more then once?

17 hours ago, dagmark said:

Hi, first time here. Are engineering points a one time thing or can they be used more then once?

You resolve the command.
The points are Generated.

You must spend them immediately. Anything left over when the command is done is lost.

However.

Nothing is stopping you from having an Engineering command later in the game, and re-generating points.