[UNOFFICIAL] Rules Clarifications and FAQs

By Ghost Dancer, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

Is the wrong information on the X-i7's here?

Well spotted, thanks. Post updated.

Is the wrong information on the X-i7's here?

Well spotted, thanks. Post updated.

Thank you

Since we're correcting stuff, that bit is wrong :

Heavy (squadron ability)
The Heavy ability is fairly simple; it not cause other squadrons to be engaged when within distance 1. This means Heavy squadrons do not make very good fighter screens (but will typically be good in another role).
Heavy squads do engage, their engagement just doesn't forbid moving or shooting at ships.

Since we're correcting stuff, that bit is wrong :

Heavy (squadron ability)
The Heavy ability is fairly simple; it not cause other squadrons to be engaged when within distance 1. This means Heavy squadrons do not make very good fighter screens (but will typically be good in another role).
Heavy squads do engage, their engagement just doesn't forbid moving or shooting at ships.

Well spotted, I've updated accordingly. Thanks.

I have a question:

If my "game" has a great deal of squadrons, and I only activated two the first round, during the second round, am I able to move or attack with said squadrons during my squadron phase?

I have a question:

If my "game" has a great deal of squadrons, and I only activated two the first round, during the second round, am I able to move or attack with said squadrons during my squadron phase?

You can only activate squadrons that have an activation color that matches the current turn's color.

For example:

Turn one starts with the hexagonal token on the blue side. During the squadron phase, the first player gets to activate two squadrons during this "step". When they activate these squadrons, they get their activation slider toggled to the RED side. Then the other player gets to activate two squadrons if they have any that are still blue (turning them to red). This goes back and forth until EVERY squadron is activated and showing RED .

Then at the start of turn two, you flip the hexagonal token to the RED side, and reveal the turn token corresponding to turn 2. During the squadron phase you can activate any squadrons that are showing RED . This will include the squadrons activated in the first round, since you should have set them to the RED side when you activated them on turn 1. (unless actions have already toggled them: See squadron tokens, "Dutch" Vander unique squadron).

Oops, never mind!

Edited by DaverWattra

Can engaged characters move together? I can't find any provision for this in the rules, but it seems like it ought to be allowed just common sensically.

I was thinking that if Joe and Bob are engaged, and Bob takes his turn after Joe, Joe ought to be able to put off his maneuver until Bob's initiative slot comes around so that he moves with Bob. Otherwise you'd have to waste a maneuver re-engaging every time a pair of engaged allies wanted to leave their current location, which seems weird to me.

I frankly am not entirely sure what you're trying to accomplish, but the brief answer is no, there is no provision for engaged squadrons to move together. That said, it sounds like you need to make a quick perusal of the Engagement section on RRG pg 6. In particular these two lines:

• An engaged squadron cannot move.

• A squadron does not engage ships or friendly squadrons.

Are you under the impression that friendly squadrons engage each other?

OOPS, sorry, I meant to post this in an RPG thread!

Question on defence tokens. The rule book states when a defender spends a readied defence token he flips it over to exhausted. Got that bit-simple enough.

My question is on the rule about spending exhausted defence tokens. How does that work? How do you use spend exhausted tokens? What benefits do exhausted tokens give?

Question on defence tokens. The rule book states when a defender spends a readied defence token he flips it over to exhausted. Got that bit-simple enough.

My question is on the rule about spending exhausted defence tokens. How does that work? How do you use spend exhausted tokens? What benefits do exhausted tokens give?

Exactly the same benefit as a Readied defence token.

However, instead of becoming Exhausted, when you use it, the Exhausted Defense Token is "Discarded" from the Game.

Generally speaking, they don't come back outside of some very limited circumstances.

I've made a few updates to include the Corellian Conflict which I've put in the second part with specific abilities: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/143732-unofficial-rules-clarifications-and-faqs/?do=findComment&comment=1524716

As always, please me know if there are any other common questions/mistakes you think should be added. I'm going to try and update this more regularly as I've neglected it for too long ;)

Damage that is suffered from Critical Effects does not count towards the "First 'x' Damage cards Face up".

Yes, this was a point of contention in the Fire Control Team thread.

Hello Paul,
In response to your question:
Hello! Given the FAQ on Fire Control Teams, people have been stating that the "First Damage Card Dealt This turn" must logically include a Critical Card Dealt Immediately by the APT Critical Effect, negating its ability to stack with the Default Critical... Is this is as Intended, or are Cards that are dealt Face Up or Face Down as applicable by CRITICAL EFFECTS (such as APT), not counted as "Damage this Turn" for other critical effects such as XX-9 and the Default Critical, or is only Damage that is "Calculated, and Distributed One Point at a Time", counted as "Damage this turn" for XX-9s and Default Critical to work? Thank You. I know it is convoluted, but it just seems that if Critical Effects are counted as "Damage this turn", then there are suddenly multiple critical effects that do not stack with the Fire Control Team, where the entire POINT of the Card is to stack critical effect
Fire Control Teams allows the attacker to resolve an additional critical effect, and critical effects are resolved before the attacker determines the total damage amount of the attack and the defender suffers that damage. The attacker can resolve those effects in any order. When Assault Proton Torpedoes is resolved first, the faceup card is dealt to the defender immediately. If the defender is then dealt damage cards from suffering damage (one point at a time), the standard critical causes the first card dealt to be faceup.
I believe the confusion over XX-9 Turbolasers and the standard critical effect results from the fact that they are resolved separately but their effects overlap. That is, if the defender is dealt damage cards the first two cards are dealt faceup whether XX-9 is resolved alone or the standard critical effect is also resolved.
Thanks for your question!
Michael Gernes
Game Producer

Once again common sense prevails

Just now, Tirion said:

Once again common sense prevails

It always does, doesn't it?

XI7/AP was the odd man out, but I can't really remember any more weirdness like that.

On 3/6/2017 at 8:03 PM, Drasnighta said:

Damage that is suffered from Critical Effects does not count towards the "First 'x' Damage cards Face up".

Added to main post, thanks.

On 6/3/2017 at 9:03 PM, Drasnighta said:

Yes, this was a point of contention in the Fire Control Team thread.

Hello Paul,
Hello! Given the FAQ on Fire Control Teams, people have been stating that the "First Damage Card Dealt This turn" must logically include a Critical Card Dealt Immediately by the APT Critical Effect, negating its ability to stack with the Default Critical... Is this is as Intended, or are Cards that are dealt Face Up or Face Down as applicable by CRITICAL EFFECTS (such as APT), not counted as "Damage this Turn" for other critical effects such as XX-9 and the Default Critical, or is only Damage that is "Calculated, and Distributed One Point at a Time", counted as "Damage this turn" for XX-9s and Default Critical to work? Thank You. I know it is convoluted, but it just seems that if Critical Effects are counted as "Damage this turn", then there are suddenly multiple critical effects that do not stack with the Fire Control Team, where the entire POINT of the Card is to stack critical effect
Fire Control Teams allows the attacker to resolve an additional critical effect, and critical effects are resolved before the attacker determines the total damage amount of the attack and the defender suffers that damage. The attacker can resolve those effects in any order. When Assault Proton Torpedoes is resolved first, the faceup card is dealt to the defender immediately. If the defender is then dealt damage cards from suffering damage (one point at a time), the standard critical causes the first card dealt to be faceup.
I believe the confusion over XX-9 Turbolasers and the standard critical effect results from the fact that they are resolved separately but their effects overlap. That is, if the defender is dealt damage cards the first two cards are dealt faceup whether XX-9 is resolved alone or the standard critical effect is also resolved.
Michael Gernes
Game Producer

Would it mean that if I change the order of resolution the first faceup damage card would be the APT's damage card?

It is not the same that crits damage doesn't count than crits damage could count depending on the order resolution. For APT you should resolve APT first but with ACM the interesting order is default crit first.

2 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Would it mean that if I change the order of resolution the first faceup damage card would be the APT's damage card?

It is not the same that crits damage doesn't count than crits damage could count depending on the order resolution. For APT you should resolve APT first but with ACM the interesting order is default crit first.

Which is what Michael is saying shouldn't "Work".

"First Damage card dealt by this attack" means you dont' start "Counting" until after you have Calculated your Damage Points and started dealing them one at a time.

Which is after the Assign Critical Step.

So no matter which order you resolve, the "First Card Dealt by this Attack" is the first card that's dealt after you have calculated damage, assigned a brace if required, and then started dealing damage 1 point at a time....

ACMs, although they can deal damage cards, do not count .

Which also stops Projector Misaligned / Luke issues.

2 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Which is what Michael is saying shouldn't "Work".

"First Damage card dealt by this attack" means you dont' start "Counting" until after you have Calculated your Damage Points and started dealing them one at a time.

Which is after the Assign Critical Step.

So no matter which order you resolve, the "First Card Dealt by this Attack" is the first card that's dealt after you have calculated damage, assigned a brace if required, and then started dealing damage 1 point at a time....

ACMs, although they can deal damage cards, do not count .

Which also stops Projector Misaligned / Luke issues.

I won't "double-like" you ;p

... Two of my things doubled-up in a very short amount of time... Must be my connection or something.

Hello Ardaedhel,

Hey gents, If I trigger All Fighters, Follow Me!, and then activate squadrons using Independence's ability, do the Independence-activated squadrons move at speed 4 or speed 5? Put simply: do AFFM and Indy stack, or does Indy overwrite the AFFM-increased speed? Thanks!

Yes, both effects increase the speed of a squadron activated by a ship's squadron command during that squadron’s activation. Both effects have the same timing, so the player can resolve them in any order.

Michael Gernes
Game Producer

This suggests to me that they will likely rule all of the iterations of these (AFFM, Ketsu, Corrupter, etc) to be simultaneous for simplicity's sake.

Figured. Still, good to know - (and imply to know :D )

The update for Major Rhymer... Does this make sense? Can't squadrons already only use their battery armament at close range to attack ships? When would this not include all dice at close range?

I'm just a little confused, I've never used this card (and had to look up what 'battery armament' was).