[UNOFFICIAL] Rules Clarifications and FAQs

By Ghost Dancer, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

Thanks, OP updated.

This has been a hot topic. I finally got an official answer.

Rules Question:
If a ship with the Advanced Projectors upgrade is hit by a ship with the XI7 Turbolasers upgrade, can that ship use a Redirect defense token to shift 1 point of damage to EACH adjacent hull zone, or can it only redirect 1 total point of the damage?

The defender can suffer 1 damage on each hull zone that it redirected to. For example, if the defender’s front hull zone was attacked and the damage total is 5, it can suffer 1 damage on the left zone, 1 damage on the rear zone, 1 damage on the right zone, and the remaining 2 damage must go to the front zone.

Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen

Game Designer

Fantasy Flight Games

Here's another one that might be worth adding in somewhere.

In response to your question:
Rules Question:

Hello, I asked this question about a week ago, apologies if you're still looking into the answer, but thought I'd ask again in case it got lost in the internet void. When playing Star Wars Armada under tournament rules the following additional rules applies. "A player cannot use multiple rulers or maneuver tools to measure additional range, distance, or movement beyond the length of a single tool or to triangulate measurements." By questions are: 1) Can a play use a range ruler and the maneuver tool at the same time? 2) If a player wanted to move their squadron to engage an enemy squadron, but also wanted to be in a position that it wasn't engaged with another close by enemy squadron, are they allowed to measure from the enemy squadrons to work out the position they want to be in and mark that spot on the play surface either with their finger or a token of sometime so that they can move the squadron to that exact spot? All of this is done using one range ruler. 3) In a similar situation is a player allowed to move his squadron to engage an enemy squadron, measure to make sure his is/isn't engaged and adjust the final position of the squadron to make sure it is engaged/not engaged with the enemy squadrons the players wants. (Providing the squadron doesn't move beyond it's movement range of course) Thanks very much.

We’re adding clarifications into the next version of the Tournament Rules that address these issues. Essentially:
  1. A player cannot use more than one tool at the same time, so he can’t use the ruler and maneuver tool together.
  2. Yes, as long as they don’t use more tools than the ruler followed by a fingertip, token, or an equivalent, they can premeasure in that way.
  3. If you clearly communicate your intent to your opponent and can quickly get your squadron in its intended position, this is reasonable. Your opponent is free to call the judge/TO over if the process seems to be taking too long (slow play) or if it seems like your intended position wasn’t clear.
Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

Added both of those, thanks for letting me know :)

I've also fixed the links to each section.

Maybe add the interaction between Minefields and Engine Techs and Demolisher?

Knew I missed one, thanks. I've added it in.

Thank you so much for this! I'm new to the game and just about ready to sink my teeth in it!

I have a question re command dials and token use.....

If I had 2 engineering tokens saved and 1 navigate and I turned over an engineering command dial can I use all 4 at once

In the case of a VSD 2 eng tokens at half value (4) and the dial at full (4) meaning 8 engineering points ?

Then use the navi command to reduce/increase speed?

Or am I just being a ridicules newbie!!!!!!

You can only have 1 of each type of Token saved at a time.

Yes, you can have tokens up to your Command Value - but only 1 of each kind.

You could, however, spend both the Dial and a Token to double the effect... in effect, speeding up or slowing down up to 2...

Of cours,e a Victory Class Star Destroyer can only move a maximum of Speed 2... So yes, you can go from flat out to full stop or the opposite.

Or use both an Engineering Token and a Dial at the same time to get 1.5x your engineering value in one go.

Edited by Drasnighta

Thanks Drasnighta

So if I have 2 tokens of different type I can use both of them and the dial in one turn ?

Thanks Drasnighta

So if I have 2 tokens of different type I can use both of them and the dial in one turn ?

Page 4, Rules Reference, follow on from Page 3 "Commands"

* A ship cannot resolve the same command more than once per round.

* A ship can spend both a command dial and a command token to combine their effects. Doing so counts as a single resolution of the command. For example, a ship can increase its speed twice by spending a Navigate command and a Navigate command token.

* A player can resolve numerous commands in the same round, such as be spending an "Engineering" command token and a "Squadron" command token during the "Reveal Command Dial" step of activation, and then spending the "Navigate" command dial during the "Determine Course" step of movement.

You should explain the concentrate fire dial and token interactions

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, not having a specific question to answer... But I'll give it a shot... Relevant Rules Quotes, with my personal annotations:

Page 4, Rules Reference, follow on from Page 3 "Commands" , Section * "Concentrate Fire"

* Concentrate Fire: Resolve during the "Resolve Attack Effects" step of an attack.

(NB: This is the 3rd Step in the Attack sequence, after first selecting a target and second gathering and rolling the attack dice)

* Dial: Add one attack dice to the attack pool. That die must be of a colour that is already in the attack pool.

* Token: Reroll one attack die in the attack pool.

* A ship cannot resolve the same command more than once per round.
(NB: This means you can't spend a Dial on one attack, and then a Token on another)

NBs:

* Due to multiple effects resolving at this time, you choose the order in which they resolve. Which means if you spend both a Dial and a Token at the same time, you can add (and roll) a dice of what ever colour you already had in the pool, and even then Reroll THAT dice, or one of the others. Or even Reroll a Die and then decide what colour dice to add and Roll... This is *before* you spend your Accuracy Icons to remove any enemy defence tokens - so if you have an accuracy, you can stop them using that Evade at medium range to make you reroll one dice.

* There is no restriction as to which attack you spend the Dial/Token/Dial+Token on, as long as it is the 3rd part of the Attack Step. It does NOT have to be the first attack, or indeed, any mandated attack. This means that, although one "attack" may be spent on shooting at all Squadrons in one hull arc, *Each Attack steps individually through Step 3, where you may spend the Dial and token ONCE* - this means that, even if you are shooting at 6 enemy Squadrons, only ONE Squadron will get the Extra Attack Die / Rerolled Die / Extra Attack Die with a Reroll Somewhere

* Also note that, when you reveal your command Dial at the start of the Ship's activation - You must decide THEN AND THERE wether you will "Hold" onto the Dial for a "Command Dial" attack during taht activation, or wether you Spend in THEN AND THERE for a Token. If, for example, you choose to hold onto the Dial and then find that you have NOTHING in Range to spend your Dial on... You lose the Dial at the end of your activation and DO NOT GAIN A TOKEN IN ITS PLACE.

And please. Someone correct me if I am wrong anywhere. I am merely mortal.

Can I please request that if you need an answer to a specific question to please post a new topic (or search the forums). Thanks.

This thread is for collating frequently asked questions (and their answers) so players have an easy reference. If you think something should be added to my main posts, by all means post away :)

Drasnighta, thanks for all the info very helpful. Cheers

Ghost dancer - sorry if I have posted where I shouldn't

My post was so that the rest of the unique interactions between tokens and commands would be completed. It also gives me a place to show people what I mean

Ghost dancer - sorry if I have posted where I shouldn't

NW, you're not the first who didn't realise ;)

My post was so that the rest of the unique interactions between tokens and commands would be completed. It also gives me a place to show people what I mean

I have explained ConFire and interactions, but will check it over to see what else can be added.

Hello guys !

One opponent and I were confused as to whether a CF command dial could add another black dice when Paragon was attacking a ship for the second time, so in doubt I asked FFG and got this reply. I thought it can be good for future reference :

Hello, Robin,

In response to your question:

Rules Question:

Good morning, I'm writing to you with a question for the Star Wars: Armada game, regarding the Paragon title and a Concentrate Fire Command Dial. Assuming that the Paragon is doing its second attack on the same target, it can add a Black Dice to the attack pool in the Modify Dice step. With a well planned Command Dial of the Concentrate Fire Command, can the player then elect to add a second Black Die to the attack pool once the first Black Die has been added thanks to Paragon's ability ? Thank you in advance.

You can indeed! During Step 3 of an attack, you can resolve your attack effects in any order that you’d like. As long as you choose to resolve Paragon before you resolve the Concentrate Fire command, you can add two black dice for a very punishing attack.
Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

Hi!

I am from Germany, so my english is not the best. sorry for that, but I hope you will understand my question anyway.

My question is about ships attacking squadrons. How many squadrons can a ship attack during one turn? In the german rulebook it sounds like that a ship can attack all squadrons that are in the firing arc from where the ship will shoot.

does that mean if there are 5 squadrons, I can make 5 attacks during one attackphase with that ship? In other words, does it mean i can make an attack on every single squadron if I have at least one of my two attacks left?

Thanks for your help, Gideon!

Correct. A ship can use one its two attacks to shoot every squadron inside one arc.

Hi all

I've been a bit of as stranger to the forums the last month or so (back now, and super excited for Wave 2).

As I've missed a lot of posts, I was wondering if any new questions come to light that need adding to my FAQ list?

There was one discussion...re. whether or not you could overlap you ships during setup to create a big pile of plastic. The answer from FFG was NO (not very surprising), but there was quite the debate.

There was one discussion...re. whether or not you could overlap you ships during setup to create a big pile of plastic. The answer from FFG was NO (not very surprising), but there was quite the debate.

Hate you. . .

Sorry. Too good an opportuinity to pass over :D