[UNOFFICIAL] Rules Clarifications and FAQs

By Ghost Dancer, in Star Wars: Armada Rules Questions

OK Quick Clarification, can you take Crits from the defending hull zone if it still has shields? I thought I had read it some where but am unsure.

You can always resolve a critical effect just so long as your ship rolls a ciritical hit on its attack dice, even if you end up only cause enough damage to inflict shield loss.

So using the standard critical effect in this instance is pointless (flipping a damage card) but other upgrades (Overload Pulse etc) might have effects that are worth using.

Check out the attack summery on the back page of the rules reference, that has the steps you work through to resolve an attack, when you can resolve various defenses and critical effects.

Edited by DWRR

OK Quick Clarification, can you take Crits from the defending hull zone if it still has shields? I thought I had read it some where but am unsure.

I think so. It isn't the presence of shields that determine whether there is a critical effect or not.

It is a critical result showing on a die and whether or not the inflicting ship can resolve a critical effect or not. The "standard" is for a damage card to be dealt face up. ( from my reading of page 4 of the rules reference book .)

Thanks, So I had been playing it wrong, Cool Better to learn now

I have a specific question here that we ran into.

I think the answer is no but better to clarify...

We had an instance where a Victory shot a CR90 and got an accuracy results to cancel a Brace. In this instance, the CR90 wanted to use an evade to reroll an accuracy die, potentially cancelling the Accuracy that stopped him from using the Brace.

Looking at the timing at the start, it would appear the answer is no, since the attacker modifies Defense tokens first but...

Another good one is the relationship between crits evade tokens and accuracy result, I'm looking for a good thread on the topic now...

I have a specific question here that we ran into.

I think the answer is no but better to clarify...

We had an instance where a Victory shot a CR90 and got an accuracy results to cancel a Brace. In this instance, the CR90 wanted to use an evade to reroll an accuracy die, potentially cancelling the Accuracy that stopped him from using the Brace.

Looking at the timing at the start, it would appear the answer is no, since the attacker modifies Defense tokens first but...

Another good one is the relationship between crits evade tokens and accuracy result, I'm looking for a good thread on the topic now...

No. The Accuracy Icon is "spent" to use its effect. So the die is removed from the pool before the defense token can be used. The token can only be used on dice still present in the pool.

RRG p2, Attack, p7, modifying dice

Edited by chrisdk

Yup, accuracy results trump defence tokens. When used an accuracy dice is removed from the pool, so couldn't be evaded even after being used...

question regarding squadron command

so my victory has command 3, and i chose squadron command, do i activate and attack with my 3 squadrons individually? or can i move all 3 first and then attack with all three?

in my last game we ruled it as one at a time (which screws my first set of ties over for the swarm ability) but from what we read during squadron phase they activate individually so we went with that ruling

was this correct? or could i have moved all 3 of my squadrons first before attacking during this command?

Edit* also a follow up question, if i use squadron command and i chose to move my squadrons but they didn't engage with anything, do they still activate? or can they attack during the squadron phase if they are engaged later on?

Edited by executor

question regarding squadron command

so my victory has command 3, and i chose squadron command, do i activate and attack with my 3 squadrons individually? or can i move all 3 first and then attack with all three?

in my last game we ruled it as one at a time (which screws my first set of ties over for the swarm ability) but from what we read during squadron phase they activate individually so we went with that ruling

was this correct? or could i have moved all 3 of my squadrons first before attacking during this command?

Edit* also a follow up question, if i use squadron command and i chose to move my squadrons but they didn't engage with anything, do they still activate? or can they attack during the squadron phase if they are engaged later on?

RRG, p3, Commands, Squadron Command:

" The squadrons are chosen and activated one at a time."

So each fulfills both its move and attack before moving on to the next.

After the activation, even if you choose to do only one of the two, the squadron has been activated for this round and is not doing anything later in the squadron phase.

Please only post here to suggest a question asked and answered elsewhere.

I appreciate that many people have questions, but this thread is meant to list answers to common questions ALREADY ASKED AND ANSWERED elsewhere in the forum. If the main post does not have your question, please search the forums and/or create a new topic.

Thank you.

Please only post here to suggest a question asked and answered elsewhere.

I appreciate that many people have questions, but this thread is meant to list answers to common questions ALREADY ASKED AND ANSWERED elsewhere in the forum. If the main post does not have your question, please search the forums and/or create a new topic.

Thank you.

sorry, i guess i misunderstood. i thought you were looking to create a thread dedicated to rules questions so that people don't have to search and that you'd have answers for everything eventually in the main post

NW. It will just get messy if the replies are random questions and answers. I just thought it would be useful to collect known answers to commonly asked questions - a quick scan of the rules forum shows repeat questions every day. Hopefully a mod will sticky this so people are more aware of it.

Made a few improvements, including adding bullet points and more concise descriptions (i.e. less waffle!).

Bumping this in the hope that people will read it :P

I've also added a bit about using accuracy against squadrons, and I've removed the ISD base size now we officially know its a large base.

Updated the Squadron bit under Critical Effects, and added new Bomber entry (there have been several Bomber related questions lately).

There are so many things here that I didn't know!!! I think I have to go and finally re-read the rules from start to finish! Thank you for organizing and posting this!!!

Combining with dial: If you want to use a token that matches the dial you revealed this activation you must use them at the same time. This combines the the effects of the dial and token (e.g. A VSD would get 6 engineering points if it used an Engineering token and dial at the same time). When doing this with Concentrate Fire the extra die and reroll must be applied to the same attack roll.

What's the source for this? I thought you could spend them on separate rolls. :\

Also, thanks for this thread! Very helpful.

Combining with dial: If you want to use a token that matches the dial you revealed this activation you must use them at the same time. This combines the the effects of the dial and token (e.g. A VSD would get 6 engineering points if it used an Engineering token and dial at the same time). When doing this with Concentrate Fire the extra die and reroll must be applied to the same attack roll.

What's the source for this? I thought you could spend them on separate rolls. :\

Also, thanks for this thread! Very helpful.

You can only use each command once per turn. CF works for one attack. On that attack you can choose to use your dial, your token or your dial and your token.

Ahh, okay, thanks.

It might be worth adding a quick line about how in Armada, unlike X-Wing, ships that hit each other can still attack each other.

You mean after a collision? I've not had time to visit the forums as regularly as I'd like lately - is this something people have been asking a lot?

There's a big discussion over the 'Opening Salvo' objective right now; and whether it literally means 'add 2 dice of any colour' at any range; or just of the appropriate range dice. Can anyone from FFG clarify this please?

Noone from FFG posts in these forums except to lock threads for forum rule violations.

There's a big discussion over the 'Opening Salvo' objective right now; and whether it literally means 'add 2 dice of any colour' at any range; or just of the appropriate range dice. Can anyone from FFG clarify this please?

This thread is for clarifications/explanations of confirmed rules. For debated rules, we'll have to wait for an official FAQ. I will check out that thread though.

Its been a couple of weeks since I last updated the main post. During that time I haven't visited the forums as often as I'd liked. Are there any new rules questions that have cropped up more than once lately? If so please let me know and I'll add them to the post.

I'd also like to request this is pinned if any mods are reading this.