New character ideas !

By korneelt, in Talisman

Put the changesup and I will change it for you buddy :)

Oh the changes are up on the original post.

Raider Captain

4 Strength
2 Craft
4 Life
3 Fate

Abilities:

• If you land on the city or village square, instead of encountering it, you may raid it. Resolve a combat as normal, the village defenses have a strength 6 and the city has a strength 10. If you win, gain 2 gold from the village or 4 gold from the city.
  • Remove the Band of Raiders card from the adventure deck and place it beside your character card. At the end of your turn, you may spend one dark fate to place the card on the top of any adventure deck. Once the card is revealed, return it to your character card. If you draw the Band of Raiders card you may ignore it.
  • If you encounter a Bandit card, you may instead add it as a follower at the cost of 1 Gold. The bandit will add +2 to your strength in battle or +4 when making a raid.
  • You begin the game with a sword from the purchase deck.

Start: Forest
Alignment: Evil

Edited by chemical22

Am loving the Raider Captain. 100% going to be played with my group as we love the raiders card. 2nd Edition used to be worse with the card stealing all objects as well :)

Am loving the Raider Captain. 100% going to be played with my group as we love the raiders card. 2nd Edition used to be worse with the card stealing all objects as well :)

I remember that from 2nd edition. I never liked those guys! :)

venice-mirror.jpg
The Mimic

Special Abilities

-Whenever you land on another character, you may mimic one of their special abilities.

-You may use mimiced abilities as your own after you gain them.

-You may only have two mimiced abilities at any given time. When you mimic a third ability you lose the oldest mimiced ability.

-If another character defeats you in battle they may remove one of your mimiced abilities in addition to their usual reward.

Strength: 2
Craft: 2
Fate: 2
Life: 4

Start: any space with another character on it.
Alignment: The same as any character on her start space.

Edited by Pontus

I like the mimic idea, very much so. My only concern would be the low starting Strength and Craft. Perhaps they could be 3/3 or one 4 and one 2? :)

Marauder

Strength: 3

Craft: 3
Fate: 5
Life: 4

Start: any Plains space in the Outer Region.
Alignment: Neutral.

axe_warrior_by_aditya777.jpg

Special Abilities

- You begin the game with an Axe from the Purchase Deck.

- Whenever you roll the dice for the Crags, the Forest or the Tavern, you may add 1 to the score.

- Whenever you kill an enemy, you may replenish 1 Dark Fate.

- Whenever you are about to lose a life from battle or psychic combat, you may spend Dark Fate to roll as you had the following armour:

- 1 Dark Fate - on a roll of 6 prevent loss of life

- 2 Dark Fate - on a roll of 5 or more prevent loss of life

- 3 Dark Fate - on a roll of 4 or more prevent loss of life

- 4 Dark Fate - on a roll of 3 or more prevent loss of life

- 5 Dark Fate - on a roll of 2 or more prevent loss of life

Golem

Strength: 6

Craft: 1
Fate: 4
Life: 5

Start: Chapel
Alignment: Good.

gempa_golem_by_edgeheimdal-d4khj33.png

Special Abilities

- Whenever you roll a dice for movement, subtract 1 from the score, if you roll 1, you may choose to encounter the space you are already on..

- Instead of rolling for movement, you may decide to move 1 space.

- Whenever you fight an Enemy Elemental, you may ignore the text on their card and encounter them in battle as normal.

- Collapse - Whenever an event is drawn that affects your region, you may miss one turn to ignore its effects.

- You may not use Armour, the Riding Horse or the Warhorse .

FantasyForest.jpg

Beast Charmer

2 Strength
4 Craft
4 Life
4 Fate

Abilities:

• During your movement, you must move all animals from your starting space and those that you pass over, to your new space.
  • You cannot encounter enemy animals and they are left face up in your space. Encounter the space as if the animal cards were not present and resolve all other cards as normal. Other players may encounter these cards as normal.
  • You add +1 for each animal on your space while in combat.
  • Any time that you are instructed to lose 1 or more life, you may instead discard an animal from your space.

Start: Forest
Alignment: Good

Edited by chemical22

PLAYTEST RESULTS: #1

8th July 2015 - Played characters: Camel Rider, Fate Master, Earth Mother and Hound Master (Shaman was 5th Character but not homebrew)

The game was fair pitched game with every character levelling up somewhat at the same time and each having the potential of winning. The player playing the Fate Master was upset that she didn't start with 5 fate (because she couldn't even use 1 fate before losing a life) as this was before the game started I upped the fate value to 5. This seemed to work well for her as she was able to use a fate a turn at least before suffering the penalty. Being that the theme of the character was to use fate quite a bit this seemed fair. The player playing with the Fate Master also realised early on that the Woodlands would be a good corner to visit with her ability to choose light/dark bound at will. Overall the player was very happy with the character and wants to play with him again :)

I played with the Earth Mother and was happy with the abilities of the character. I used the fact she could move freeling in and out of the middle region to pop in there whenever there were goodies to be had (fountain of wisdom popped up and I got 2 craft from it) and ignoring events came in handy. I didn't level up strength wise much and ended up in the highlands for a long time, but I ended up having Craft 13 so quickly headed for a warlocks quest and got myself a Talisman. I dashed for the inner region and ended up winning! :D It was close as the Hound Master was in the inner and 1 or 2 turns more and he would have gotten to the centre and beat me with Strength for sure! One thing I found a bit overpowered was the gaining a life in the fields. I think I will change it to if you start your turn in the fields you may miss your turn to Heal a life.

The Hound Master character didn't use his dogs once which was a shame. He got himself a Warhorse early on so the dogs were no real use. The player enjoyed the character and the wanted poster idea but he didn't really get a chance to use it. If however I was the Hound Master I would have bought myself as many wanted posters as possible as that would have allowed for some good teleporting if a 6 was rolled :)

The Camel Rider had a good start. Picking up lots of objects and becomming a threat early on. A quick toad'ing however and that all changed. Being the kind of player that he is, he then popped into the dungeon quite unprepared and lost more than his objects!!! :lol: He didn't get a change to use the evade ability so will have to see how that works in another game

Overall the game was very enjoyable - a 5 player game which took about 4hours. It was suddenly all over when I decided to make a plunge for the inner region. The other players left me alone and didn't see me a a threat with a Strength 2 :lol: ha! next time they'll be more respectfull to the Earth Mother!!!

Thanks for the characters guys! They were very much enjoyed and have become part of my Talisman collection

:)

That was very enjoyable to read!

I hope you do this more often... it was fun to hear of them in use.

It's a shame that the hound master and the camel rider didn't really get into the swing of things.

I think your change to the Fate master was a wise one. I'm glad to hear that he wasn't completely overpowering in the Woodlands. He was designed with that in mind, but at the risk of owning the board.

Again - very cool of you to post. Looking forward to more!

... Looking forward to more!

Oh ther will be more! you can bet it on! ;)

I thought you may like to hear how the characters fair in real battle! of which they all stood their ground. I'm hoping that the Mimic will get a go next as I really want to see how easy it is for it to gain special abilties. I was thinking that perhaps when the mimic reaches a certain craft it may take 3 special abilities instead of two...and if this is the case then perhaps it should start with only being able to mimic one? Will definetly think about this when it is played with :)

... Looking forward to more!

Oh ther will be more! you can bet it on! ;)

I thought you may like to hear how the characters fair in real battle! of which they all stood their ground. I'm hoping that the Mimic will get a go next as I really want to see how easy it is for it to gain special abilties. I was thinking that perhaps when the mimic reaches a certain craft it may take 3 special abilities instead of two...and if this is the case then perhaps it should start with only being able to mimic one? Will definetly think about this when it is played with :)

I really like the mimic concept... my concern would be that he might become too fiddly, trying to remember whose abilities he has on him at any one time. Additionally, you'll also have to remember what ability was taken first when you go to remove them. Seems like a lot to keep mental track of.

It also brings up some factors to consider.... If you mimic the Valkyrie's ability to raise followers, what happens to those followers when you lose the ability? Gaining abilities is a no-brainer, but I'm quite certain there is no rule logic in place for losing them.

My suggestion would be to mimic 1 ability only just for the sake of the flow and simply replace it, if you choose to take a new one. You could even extend that to...

At the beginning of each turn, you may mimic one ability from any character in play. This ability stays active until you choose to mimic a new one. If a character's objects or followers become invalid as a result of losing the ability, then they must be ditched.

That weakens the ability in terms of numbers of abilities you possess, but widens the scope so you can always have one ability without the need to land on a character. It also brings a bit more strategy into the picture and allows the player to use stolen abilities as a utility, at the time they are needed.

Either way, let us know how he fares!

Edited by chemical22

I really like that idea Chemical22 :) Being able to mimic an ability without having to land on a character will enable it to be used far more often; and the strategic side of using the ability is great! I think I will use the Mimic once as is to see how much the ability can actually be used then i'll try the new version you stated above :)

With the Fate Master being a good character for the Woodland I was thinking about characters that could be well used in the other 3 corners. Perhaps a character which could turn jewels into gold as a special ability would be good for the highlands... as for the other two corners i'm stumped....

PLAYTEST RESULTS #2

12th July 2015

Characters played: Mimic (Original Version), Cavalier, Engineer and Imp

What an enjoyable game!!! The game was about 4 ½ hours with a little break half way through.

The game was pretty fairly even for the first couple of hours with slow but steady levelling up and the highlands and city heavily explored. The cavalier starting with the Warhorse and Maiden had a good start, he used the healing lives for free at the castle numerous times throughout the game. The player playing the Cavalier thought that overall the character was ok but he didn’t really like the fact that he only had a Craft of 2 as it meant that the Warhorse wasn’t as useful, but overall he certainly enjoyed himself and thought that the game was a fairly paced one with lots of treasures had by all.

The Engineer had a reasonable game. She started out slowly but after I suggested that she would do well in the City if looking for Constructs she began to show potential. She auto killed a Strength 7 construct so was extremely happy to transform it into a Warhorse. Sadly within the hour she had lost the Warhorse and her Battle Axe.

The Imp was a strong player. With the ability to teleport characters away when attacking pretty much made her unapproachable and she had some luck gaining both Strength and Craft early on in the game and gaining a Warhorse she began to look promising for the crown.

I played the Mimic and used the original idea of landing on characters and being able to have 2 abilities. As it happened the character worked out well. The first ability I was able to mimic was the Engineer’s auto kill for constructs. I then popped to the city and the first card was an enemy construct which was pleasant surprise. My craft went up pretty quick and I also had a Warhorse, Riding Horse, Luna the pet which allows you to choose what fate rerolls are. With the Imp’s ability to teleport on a 6 which I mimicked I had a clear strategy. Fate my movement roll to teleport in woodlands to gain more fate and quickly get a destiny. Then I had further plans but with some bad luck and the Imp dark fating me all the time! I ended up missing out on some good treasures. I was able to get into the inner through craft and was able to sacrifice all my followers to the Vampire. After successfully killing all the pit fiends my Talisman was stolen from me by the Imp and I died trying to get out of the inner. So sad, so very very sad :lol:

After that the Imp was clearly the strongest player and within the hour, having the luna pet that I had she used the teleport trick to boost her stats to far higher than the other two players. All three players got to the inner and the Imp wasn’t able to kill them off before finally all three players were in the centre. With the 17+ strength of the Imp she was able to kill off the competition with a breeze. Leaving a very happy Imp, far from the grumpy Imp found in the adventure deck! :lol:

Overall all players said they enjoyed their characters. I feel that a rewording on the Imp’s ability to teleport characters away when attacking needs to be amended to say something like “Cannot be used in the Inner Region” as this was raised once players got to the Inner. Other than that I think the characters worked well and I think I will give the mimic another try with the abilities as is.

Next play test coming soon I hope!!!

J

Edited by jackyboy

Another great review. Thanks for sharing - I enjoy reading these, they are inspiration to continue creating characters.

What was the "notekeeping" like for the mimic? Did you find it difficult to keep track of abilities?

Edited by chemical22

20b02mo.jpg

Mage Conduit

4 Strength

2 Craft

5 Life

1 Fate

Abilities:

• You may not gain or cast spells. Additionally, you are immune to all spell effects, except for the Crown of Command spell.
  • When a player in your region casts a spell, immediately roll a dice. On the roll of 4, 5 or 6 the spell is countered and you gain +1 Strength.
  • Players may not use or gain effects from any of their magic items while in your space.
  • At the beginning of your turn, you may discard any magic object you possess to heal +2 Life

Start: Ruins

Alignment: Neutral

Edited by chemical22

Another great review. Thanks for sharing - I enjoy reading these, they are inspiration to continue creating characters.

What was the "notekeeping" like for the mimic? Did you find it difficult to keep track of abilities?

I was playing with the Mimic so was 'on top' of the recording process. In the end over a 4+hour game I only managed to mimic 3 times it wasn't hard to keep on top of it. However I will try playing with the other varient and that will require more notekeeping for sure :)

20b02mo.jpg

Mage Conduit

4 Strength

2 Craft

5 Life

1 Fate

Abilities:

• You may not gain or cast spells. Additionally, you are immune to all spell effects, except for the Crown of Command spell.

• When a player in your region casts a spell, immediately roll a dice. On the roll of 4, 5 or 6 the spell is countered and you gain +1 Strength.

• Players may not use or gain effects from any of their magic items while in your space.

• At the beginning of your turn, you may discard any magic object you possess to heal +2 Life

Start: Ruins

Alignment: Neutral

eeekkk!!! This guy sounds far too overpowered to me. Imagine a game with spell casters, he would shoot up there with his Strength very quickly and no one would be able to cut him down to size with Spells. I certainly like the theme of the character but would like to see him a little more balanced ;)

I imagine very few spells would be cast by casters in his region and he's not very powerful otherwise so i'd say he's balanced.

If a player feeds his strength the problem is not this guy but the guy playing the caster tbh;)

I'm not a big fan of characters whose power depend on other what characters the others play, even less anti-character-characters, but if you're going to do it this seems like a good iteration

I imagine very few spells would be cast by casters in his region and he's not very powerful otherwise so i'd say he's balanced.

If a player feeds his strength the problem is not this guy but the guy playing the caster tbh;)

I'm not a big fan of characters whose power depend on other what characters the others play, even less anti-character-characters, but if you're going to do it this seems like a good iteration

Ahhh ok I didn't quite read the ability correct. When a character casts a Spell in your REGION. I thought it was whenever a Character casts a Spell anywhere!! This sounds alot better now :)

Ahhh ok I didn't quite read the ability correct. When a character casts a Spell in your REGION. I thought it was whenever a Character casts a Spell anywhere!! This sounds alot better now :)

Yeah, I actually created him with the fact in mind that there are not a lot of anti-characters out there. So thought it might be interesting to introduce one. Like it mentions, the ability is regional and at a 50% chance. So he really is a spell caster's bane, but he can be worked around with a bit of tactic and luck.

I can see a player's strategy changing a bit with this character - perhaps being more offensive and going after character kills or object steals more frequently.

Just something different anyway - for good or bad.

Edited by chemical22

Going to enjoy playing with these in the near future :)

Mage-Conduit-Front-Face.png

Beast-Charmer-Front-Face.png