New character ideas !

By korneelt, in Talisman

Any ideas for new character cards ? Post them here and share them with fans !

I shall start with the:

Camel rider

3 Strength

2 Craft

3 Life

2 Fate

At the start of your turn you may discard

one fate token to roll an extra die for movement

If at the end of your turn you land in the desert, you do not lose a life.

You may carry two additional Objects above the object limit

Start: Oasis Alignment: Neutral

Fate Master

2 Strength

4 Craft

4 Life

5 Fate

Abilities:

• At the beginning of each turn gain 1 fate, if you have less fate than your starting value.
  • At the beginning of combat, before rolling the die, you may spend 1 fate to increase your strength or craft by +1. You may spend any number of fate this way and this is can be used in conjunction with standard fate rules.
  • You never need to choose whether your fate is light or dark, you may use either at will. If you encounter a card that needs you to specify your fate, you may choose either the light or dark fate results at the time of encounter. If you have no fate, you are considered fateless as normal.
  • When you win a battle against a player character, you may steal 1 fate in addition to your usual reward. If the player has no fate, he must remove 1 life in addition.
  • If at the end of your turn, your fate is lower than your life, then you must lose 1 life.

Start: Portal of Power

Alignment: Neutral

Edit: On a side note, I wish I had time to put together a good grouping of player created characters. I have the skills and tools to give professional PDFs for everyone to print... just not the time... at the moment. Could be a fun side project. I'd need an artist that would want to illustrate these cards though, unless I really wanted to dust off old skills.

Edited by chemical22

Besides the illustrating matter, what about the print ? On what material do you print these pdf's so that they are like the original cards ? I'm very interested in making my own cards, I would love to add some Pet cards for the City expansion.

Well, they would just be high resolution PDFs and left to each person to print as needed. What I would suggest to you is to bring a character card into your local printer and ask them to spec out the stock and the weight of the paper for you. I know, from my experience, that it isn't anything extremely special. I don't have my stock samples or the card on me, but I'm willing to bet it is probably just a smooth finished 12 to 14 pt cover stock.

I think the most interesting way to do this, would be to make a dedicated deck of player created characters. So rather than mixing and matching, people could just have option of playing a game with some non-traditional characters and you wouldn't have to worry about printing backs and matching stock.

Does anyone know what Fantasy Flights stance is on "not for sale" product supplements for their game?

Edited by chemical22

You could print them any way you want and not worry about looking close to the official, you would just need to make a list of all characters, which you could roll a dice for to see what you get.

Village Idiot

1 Strength

1 Craft

4 Life

4 Fate

Abilities

Whenever you would roll a die or more (fx for combat, move, test or any reason), roll an extra die, then remove a die after the roll. Treat that die as if you never rolled it.

In combat and battle your roll will always be the lowest die. Add 10 to your roll for each roll of 1.

Start: Village

5 Strength

3 Craft

5 Life

3 Fate

Abilities

Whenever you gain gold, you must discard it and roll a die to claim one of the following rewards (roll a die for each gold you discard in this way):

1 Relish in your illgotten gains, no other effect

2 Heal up to full life
3 Gain your full complement of spells
4 Gain 1 craft
5 Gain 1 strength
6 Choose your reward from this list

At the start of your turn move to any space in your region, you do not encounter that space but your move will originate from that space. Does not work in a region where you don't roll for your move.

Start: Ruins

Alignment: Evil

Not sure if we should comment on other characters, but here goes:

Camel rider is much too weak, his abilities thematic but inconsequental. You could in fact double his stats and he'd still be only a little stronger than the stronger non-spellcaaster characters, but I'd rather up his stats somewhat, and give him some better abilities, perhaps an evade where he immediately moves to oasis, would allow him to benefit from starting in middle region.

fate master is very strong with his stats and first four abilities. The last ability makes him invulnerable if he saves his fate, and instantly kills him if he draws http://www.talismanwiki.com/Fate_Bound doesnt seem quite balanced. If I may suggest; At the end of your turn, if your current fate is lower than your current life, lose 1 life.

Cool design though, I think I'll steal him^^

by the way if you are just making these for yourself/free, you dont need an artist just google the name of the character. Choosing the image is almost as fun as making the character. this is the village idiot:

http://www.teapartytribune.com/2012/04/14/the-village-idiot-has-been-found/

Ancient one

7 Strength

7 Craft

5 Life

0 (5) Fate

At the beginning of the game choose blood, dust or light. If you choose blood you cannot use or have trophies. If you choose dust you cannot use or have objects or followers except for gold and bags of gold.
If you choose light your fate value becomes 5, but you can neither use or have trophies, followers or objects except for gold and bags of gold.
When you attack another character , you may choose to make the attack psychic combat . You may not do this when you are attacked by another character .
Edited by Rawsugar

fate master is very strong with his stats and first four abilities. The last ability makes him invulnerable if he saves his fate, and instantly kills him if he draws http://www.talismanwiki.com/Fate_Bound doesnt seem quite balanced. If I may suggest; At the end of your turn, if your current fate is lower than your current life, lose 1 life.

Cool design though, I think I'll steal him^^

Thanks for the review. I think your idea is pretty solid. I think I agree with you, the more I think it through. I wanted to create a dynamic where the use of an ability, came with a cost. But I suppose I didn't give it enough thought what would happen if someone wanted to play safe and boring and never use fate. I've revamped the idea now to incorporate your recommendations.

Edited by chemical22

Nyctomancer

2 Strength

4 Craft

4 Life

4 Fate

You begin the game with two Spells.

When you attack a character, you may choose to make the attack Psychic Combat. You cannot do this if you are attacked by another character.

Whenever night falls, you may gain your full compliment of Spells, according to your current Craft.

When it is night, you may add 2 to your score during battle and psychic combat.

Start: Chasm

Allignment: Evil

I'll probably make this guy a proper card if they ever release a Talisman plugin for the current Strange Eons, but I figured I may as well leave him here in the meantime.

Edited by Dark Stranger
Time Lord
Start: Hidden Valley
3 Strength
3 Craft
4 Life
2 Fate
Abilities:

You are always neutral; ignore any effect that changes your alignment.

If you are defeated or have a stand-off in battle, you may ignore the result and immediately fight that battle again.

You may discard 1 fate to prevent your character from losing a life. Strength and Craft values are then discarded and then decided again by dice roll for each.

Crone

Start: Village

1 Strength

4 Craft

4 Life

5 Fate

Abilities:

When you are about to engage a creature or character in battle you may attempt to turn them into a toad them. Roll 1 die:

1) The Curse backfires and you are turned into a Toad for 3 turns

2-3) No effect

4-5) The creatures' or characters' strength becomes 1 for this battle.

6) If cast on a creature, its Strength is reduced to 1 until the end of the turn. If cast on a character , he is turned into a Toad for 3 turns

Whenever a character rolls a '1' you gain 1 dark fate.

Nyctomancer: cool, almost make me want to play with day/night^^

time lord: very random, very fun. Unfortunately he's a little weak. I think the reroll stat ability should have higher potential with a low result being the most likely outcome. something like 3 dice choose lowest 2 and deduct 1 (roll of 6/4/2 =4+2-1=5). That gives you an average of 4,5, but a 0,5% chance of a value of 11. It's not very elegant though, But it does exactly what you want: keep the ability relevant throughout the game and offer a potentially huge reward if you keep rolling.

reroll 1's and add 1, if you keep rolling 1 keep addingto the next roll does something similar, and might be more simple

Edited by Rawsugar

Madcap

Start: Hidden Valley

Alignment: Neutral*

2 Strength

3 Craft

4 Life

3 Fate

Abilities:
You begin the game with one spell.

--------------------------------------------

You may not change your alignment, you always remain neutral.

When you are about to engage a character in battle roll one die:
1-2) Their alignment changes to evil

3-4) Their alignment changes to neutral

5-6) Their alignment changes to good

If that character's new alignment prevents use of any objects or followers these are all dropped before the battle.

You may ignore any alignment-dependent places or cards and choose the result you wish. You may acquire objects and followers regardless of what alignment the card specifies, when you acquire objects or followers requiring contradictory alignments, you need not discard any objects or followers.

You may only visit the Chapel and the Graveyard as a Neutral character.

I think this guy is pretty balanced now, he's maybe going to find the start of the game tough, but as he builds up objects and followers he's going to be very intimidating, and of course he's not restricted from carrying anything ever. With his alignment changer ability, he's a worry for other characters he can encounter as he might force them to drop a few cards they may be relying on.

Any ideas for new character cards ? Post them here and share them with fans !

I shall start with the:

Camel rider

3 Strength

2 Craft

3 Life

2 Fate

At the start of your turn you may discard

one fate token to roll an extra die for movement

If at the end of your turn you land in the desert, you do not lose a life.

You may carry two additional Objects above the object limit

Start: Oasis Alignment: Neutral

I loved the Camel Rider. Uncomplicated, and a nicely balanced early advantage that will eventually level as the other characters pay coin at the stables. I think they might benefit from a life value of 4, though, even though the Cleric is tough, I’ve found she always struggles with the lower life value, so this character should definitely have the 4. Maybe you could sneak in another ability there as well to give Camel Rider a bit more attraction to play as?

Edited by Dungeon Crawler Jack

Ritual Master

Start: Chapel

2 Strength

4 Craft

4 Life

4 Fate

Abilities:

You begin the game with one spell.

At the start of your turn, you may discard any combination of trophies to the value of 5 to replenish 1 life, you may replenish up to 3 lives. You may not do this to prevent loss of life.

When you encounter another character you may engage them in Psychic Combat. You may not do this if another character attacks you.

When you defeat another character in battle or psychic combat and take a life, you may gain 1 life.

You may not attack characters with the same alignment as you.

Another familiar face from the Adventure Deck, he is a fairly average character, but can easily cause an annoyance by draining lives out of other characters, assuming he can defeat them of course. Other than that, if he takes a few beatings his trade trophies for lives ability might slow down his leveling up, but once he gets to levels of 8 or above, this will make him very difficult to stop - Opinions on this one?

Wraith Lord

3 Strength

3 Craft

4 Life

1 Fate

Abilities:

You begin the game with an Axe from the Purchase Deck

When you encounter a Spirit add 3 to your attack roll.

When you defeat another character in battle you can cause them to lose 1 life and take 1 item or 1 gold.

When you land on another character you may take one of their craft trophies instead of encountering them.

When you visit the Graveyard you may heal up to your life value.

A place in the Deep Realms expansion, I thought he was an interesting concept to work with as a character. He represents a serious threat Craft-wise and to any Alternative Ending that battles a boss. He will level up hard and fast. Going to be a hard one to beat, might be overpowered.

Skeleton Athlete

S: 3

C: 3

L: 4

F: 3

Align: N

Start: Crags

1. You may move up to 2 spaces farther than the number of spaces indicated by the movement roll. You may not use any card that modify your movement roll or add more dice to it.

2. After your move, instead of encountering a character on your space, you may rush at them to crash with them and crumble into some bones. That character must ditch 1 of their Objects of your choice. At the start of your next turn you may pick up any Objects on your space. As long as you're crumbled, you may not be encountered by any character, but instead they may take 1 of your Objects. If you have at least 3 Followers, other characters may not take your Objects when you're crumbled.

3. If you rolled 6 for your move, you may teleport to any space in this Region that isn't occupied by a character or Enemy.

4. If during your move you moved through a space with a character, you may roll a die. If you rolled 5 or 6, that character must ditch 1 of their Objects of their choice or all of their gold (their choice).

arguably my most unorthodox character to date.

Swarm of rats

Start: City

- Strength

- Craft

X Life

X Fate

At the beginning of the game roll 3 dice. The sum of the two lowest roll minus one is your starting life. Determine your starting fate in the same way.

Whenever you would replenish full fate or heal to full life instead roll for life or fate as in the beginning of the game.

If you heal life or replenish 1 or more fate (but not full) gain that many life or fate instead.

When you fight in battle or combat neither side can add their strength or craft or use abilities they can normally use in combat or battle.

when you attack other characters you may encounter the space they are standing on after the battle.

If you would move past a character or enemy during your move, you may end your move on that space and attack the charater/enemy.

If an effect would test your strength or craft, your number of lives counts as your strength and your number of fate as your craft.

When you gain an object or a craft trophy devour (discard) it and gain 1 fate

When you gain a follower or a strength trophy devour (discard) it and gain 1 life

When you gain gold roll a die. If the roll is equal to or less than the amount of gold you gained you gain 1 life and 1 fate, discard the gold.

Ritual master : I calculate him to be at 15,5 "character points" with noncaster characters in basegame ranging from 14,5-20, he's en par with the necromancer. I think the discard trophy for life could be just any trophy for 1 life, simpler and more useful. As it is you'd only ever do it if at 1 life especially since he has another lifegain ability

Wraithlord : about 18 points, en par with the troll. stealing trophies is a cool idea!

skeleton athlete :ca 21 points (moving almost as he wants is very useful), still not as strong as spellcasters;) A few things, not issues as such, just want to pointthem out: 1) you can use crumble to take items already on that space before your move 2) you may want to specify that they must have gold to ditch it with the last ability. 3) he's stuck with spells that affect movementroll at the moment, not a lot of those but still

Madcap : ca 15 points, could be cool if the alignment change was just from moving into or past a space a character is standing in. I really like the ability, but landing on a character you can beat will be pretty rare, and usually an alignment change will not be detrimental. Could have another point of strength and the ability to attack in psychic combat would make him ~18 points

soul collector: very little like the ritual master, about 14,5 points. dont know what's with all the gain life abilities though:) id have just 1 pr character. Turning in trophies is pretty rare, it only happens every 7 turns or so. As suchthe effect could be stronger

Edited by Rawsugar

gothic-comment-tag-00765jpg_520.jpg

Soul Collector

1 Strength

4 Craft

4 Life

2 Fate

Abilities:

• When the Soul Collector cashes in trophies for either strength or craft, it also gains one life.
  • The Soul Collector may attack another character in Psychic combat. It the Soul Collector wins in combat it must take a life from the character and gains one life itself.
  • The Soul Collector must lose Psychic combat by 2 in order to lose the combat. Otherwise it is considered a draw.
  • The Soul Collector may take any Spirit as a follower instead of fighting it in combat. The player may choose to kill a spirit follower at the beginning of his turn to heal 2 life. Spirit followers do not count as a follower when dealing with any rules or abilites that specifically affect followers.

Start: Graveyard

Update:

OK.... so I missed the Ritual Master up there! I guess great minds think alike. Sorry to coat-tail on your thunder.

Edited by chemical22

Ritual master : I calculate him to be at 15,5 "character points" with noncaster characters in basegame ranging from 14,5-20, he's en par with the necromancer.

How do you do the calculation? It would be interesting to understand your mechanics for character-gen.

BTW the trophy-steal idea was lifted from the Bounty-Hunter in the City Expansion, he can just take any trophy, he can walk the game!

dark-demon_00222442.jpg

Fell in love with this character idea's theme. Some ancient forbidden evil that has been lost to history.

Nameless Horror

3 Strength

4 Craft

5 Life

1 Fate

Abilities:

You are always Evil, ignore any effect that changes your Alignment.

When you draw a card instructing you to gain or lose gold, strength, craft, fate or life because you are an Evil character, double the effect.

Spirits will not attack you, however, you may choose to attack them.

At the beginning of your turn, you may choose to devour one of your followers. Discard them to gain one life. You may do this once per turn.

When you encounter a character whose base craft is equal to or less than yours, your horrifying appearance terrifies them, you may choose to move them once space away instead of engaging them in battle, they must immediately encounter any face up cards on this space.

You may not use Armour.

captain_morgan_grande.jpg?537

Then there's this blagger. On a serious note, I think these are an interesting set of abilities and I'd like to play them if I can get the hang of printing

Pirate Captain
Start: Tavern

3 Strength

3 Craft

4 Life

3 Fate

Abilities:

You begin the game with one random potion from the Apothecary Deck. If at any time you do not hold an item with ‘Potion’ in its title, or an Apothecary card, you may draw one random potion from the Apothecary Deck at the start of your next turn.

When you visit the Tavern you may choose the result.

When you visit the Wharf in the City you do not need to pay any gold.

When you sell any item, or number of items, roll a die:
1-3) Gain gold as normal
4-6) Swindle an extra gold per item from the seller.

Almost forgot my Imp!

Imp
Start: City

1 Strength

5 Craft

4 Life

5 Fate

Abilities:

You begin the game with 2 spells.

When you roll a 6 for movement, you may teleport to any space in the same Region.

---------------------------------------------

When another character encounters you in battle, you may choose to teleport them – roll on die and move them to this space.

1) Crags

2) Forest

3) Tavern

4) Ruins

5) Hidden Valley

6) Cursed Glade

They must then immediately encounter this space.

You may not use this ability when a character engages you in psychic combat.

Whenever you roll a die to determine the outcome of a place or stranger, you may roll twice and choose which result to use.

Sorry, I'll stop spamming this thread.

captain_morgan_grande.jpg?537

Then there's this blagger. On a serious note, I think these are an interesting set of abilities and I'd like to play them if I can get the hang of printing

Pirate Captain

Clearly, his name should be Captain Morgan. :)

He always has a 'potion' handy, after all... :D

CastleAT_1914.jpg

Cavalier

3 Strength

2 Craft

4 Life

3 Fate

Abilities:

• You begin the game with a warhorse and shield.
  • A shield will protect you on a roll of 4, 5 or 6.
  • The Cavalier begins the game with the Maiden follower from the adventure deck. The Maiden cannot be ditched. If you lose the Maiden, you must immediately lose all fate. If you battle a character who possesses or a creature that is guarding the Maiden, then you may add an additional +3 to your combat result for that combat. If you win the combat against a character, you must take the Maiden as your reward. Once you possess the Maiden again, you may immediately restore your fate to its starting value.
  • Heal up to 2 lives at the castle for free.

Start: Castle

Alignment: Good

Edited by chemical22

Ritual master : I calculate him to be at 15,5 "character points" with noncaster characters in basegame ranging from 14,5-20, he's en par with the necromancer.

How do you do the calculation? It would be interesting to understand your mechanics for character-gen.

BTW the trophy-steal idea was lifted from the Bounty-Hunter in the City Expansion, he can just take any trophy, he can walk the game!

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/144722-in-depth-analysis-of-talisman-and-tools-for-balancing-characters/

basically add up the stats, add a bit for really high stats, deduct a bit for really low stats. For continous abilities calculate the average chance they be useful and the average gain (multiply for "yield pr turn"), multiply that by 20 for an estimate of worth throughout game.

keep them coming I really like the imp!

to calculate his abilities:

stats 14+high C 0,5 + high fate 0,5 + low strength -1

2 spells 0,6

teleport (see below) 1,5

teleport others: chance to be attacked 0,2*average loss 1 *20=4 (since the area the opponent is teleported to is likely to be beneficient we dont need to include a cost for costing him his turn)

place/stranger increase in yield 0,3 *, chance to encounter 0,15 *20=0,9

21 points, id skip the last ability - and add a rule that the teleport does not work in inner region (otherwise cost +1)

It's not an excact science I'll admit but it gives a much better basis for evaluation than personal opinion

The Leprechauns ability to teleport might be assessed in a similar way. Teleport can bring the Leprechaun to spaces like the ruins where it doubles the yield of that turn, and many other spaces, especially places that tend to have better yields than a single adventure card. We'll estimate the increase in yield to be 0,45 on average with a chance of 1 in 6 making the cost 0,45/6*20=1,5

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Zombie

6 Strength

- Craft

5 Life

1 Fate

Abilities:

• If an enemy or character attacks you in psychic the result will always be a standoff
  • Whenever you check your craft you automatically fail
  • your craft is always nil
Edited by Rawsugar