New character ideas !

By korneelt, in Talisman

Kain7th - Your new characters...

Medusa - I like the character, she seems a little tough with her Petrify ability and a craft 5. However I do like her and will give her a playtest for sure. Thinking after that maybe her Craft could be 4. We shall playtest :)

Gremlin - Lovely idea but I feel he is weak with S1 and C2. Perhaps rework so he is tougher somehow. Would love to use his ability to destroy the wand or battleaxe! :lol:

Berserker - His movement ability; does it mean that regardless of what you rolled you must move to another character even if you don't roll high enough. Or does it mean that if possible you must stop and fight characters/enemies. A little rewording on that but otherwise I like him. He is a tough mother!!! ;)

Cyclops - So with his toss boulder ability he would be on a 50% chance a Strength 9 against enemies off the bat! Tough!!! do you think perhaps a little too tough? I like the theme of the character though for sure!

Lovely characters buddy :D They have been downloaded ;)

Medusa: Yes i think a c4 would be better, i may change that.

Gremlin: i felt he should be kinda weak. i mean its a gremlin haha. So having him means you got a bit of a challenge on your hands.

Berserker: yeah i meant if during your movement you enter any space with either another player or an enemy you must end your movement on that space and fight either one. So if you rolled a 6 and an enemy was on a space 3 spaces in, you have to stop on that space.

Cyclops: I felt that power should be powerful, but then i feel since he starts with a craft 1 he has a very big weakness in the beginning of the game.

Changes to Berserker and Medusa

2e0re4x.jpg

wrdh5f.jpg

And i made one more new one with even worse stats then the Gremlin lol. I designed him after the ones in the Heroes of Might and Magic game which always had the crappiest stats. So if you really want a challenge you can try him.

a4rll1.jpg

the gremlin is really, really weak. dunno, would you think it was fun playing him? after 5 minutes? I'd prefer to give him some strong annoying ability to balance.

consider making the before combat roll abilities a part of the combat roll instead, no t big issue, but just smoother that way.

the berserker and cyclop both push the limits of power, id say they are stronger than almost all noncaster characters.

the berserker ability to stop at other players is broken though, he's so strong he'll win almost all fight and as long as he rolls more for more he can just follow the same char until he kills him then switch to next victim.

I like the flavor of the ability (ZERK) but in practice it just doesnt work, the fact that its obligatory doesnt matter much when he start at 10 strength in battle. if you want to keep it, have him lose a turn after each battle. (every battle if you want to make him a little less powerful, every time he uses berserk ability if you want him to keep being one of the strongest characters in the game

the gremlin is really, really weak. dunno, would you think it was fun playing him? after 5 minutes? I'd prefer to give him some strong annoying ability to balance.

consider making the before combat roll abilities a part of the combat roll instead, no t big issue, but just smoother that way.

the berserker and cyclop both push the limits of power, id say they are stronger than almost all noncaster characters.

the berserker ability to stop at other players is broken though, he's so strong he'll win almost all fight and as long as he rolls more for more he can just follow the same char until he kills him then switch to next victim.

I like the flavor of the ability (ZERK) but in practice it just doesnt work, the fact that its obligatory doesnt matter much when he start at 10 strength in battle. if you want to keep it, have him lose a turn after each battle. (every battle if you want to make him a little less powerful, every time he uses berserk ability if you want him to keep being one of the strongest characters in the game

Well making the gremlin weak is kinda the point there, i would give him another ability, but not sure what.

So with the cyclops i made him super strong in strength, just a tad stronger than the troll, but super weak in craft, i figure that should balance things no?

Berserker, i wanted it to feel like he's just on a berserker rage just about all the time. I may consider making him lose a turn after he fights . i could also put his starting strength at 3 instead.

gremlin: like i said if you can honestly say you'd enjoy playing him it's just a matter of taste. you'd have like 90% chance of losing but if that somehow appeals to you i'd say fine: one reward that let's you play him without giving him strong ability is to say that when you respawn the new character will have some benefit (fx you get a gremlin that you can transfer to other characters when you land on them causing them to lose all followers, discard at mystic returns to you when discarded) - or you could have some fun with gremlins + water. Either way make the object ability automatic, not a test.

edit: unless you (and your group) would find it fun to play him and lose I wouldn't make him, since that's the most likely outcome. Talisman isn't really a game for "challenges", your control over the outcome of the game is in the end limited, you can tweak your odds but you cant overturn them.

cyclops has as good, possibly better stats than troll AND the combat ability, if you want him as good as troll make strength 5, if you want him stronger than troll stay at 6 just know troll is very strong already

making strength 3 doesnt solve the issue. the issue is that he can "stalk" other chars and kill them very fast. losing a turn is the easiest way to mitigate that.

However i just realized that the berserker is just as likely to kill himself vs strong craft monsters, so maybe just keep him as is. he's actually fairly balanced just very random and most likely shortlived.

if you want him to survive, make him immune to psychic combat when be berserks, but then he definitely need to lose the turn.

if the berserk ability isn't supposed to affect craft enemies, i'd make that explicit, it does say he attacks in battle but not what happens when he encounters an enemy with craft (end the turn? ignore?)

if he ignores craft enemies he needs further nerfing, if he ends turn, losing a turn from berserking is sufficient and balanced with how good he is at landing on enemies

My take on the berserker and medusa:

Berserker: at the start of the game you may choose that the berserker is wearing protective runes. These affect the berserker for the rest of the game. If protected by the runes the berserker may, before his attack roll, choose to have pychic combats with enemies end in a draw, however, after each battle (using strength) the runes drain him and he must lose his next turn

Medusa: in battle and psychic combat, if your attack roll is equal to, one higher or one lower than your opponents roll you may add 6 yo your attack roll.

When you attack another character, you may choose to make the attack psychic combat. You may not do this when you are attacked by another character.

(fate set to 2)

Edited by Rawsugar

@ kain7th - Looking at the Cyclops, the design strikes me as more of a Troll/Ogre Chieftain/Yeti Enemy hybrid than anything related to the Cyclops Stranger from the game. I like the concept for the Boulder Toss, but would personally prefer to see something like that on a Yeti character.

I think the stats for the Cyclops are good to go, as is the Crags ability. I would suggest removing the last 2 abilities (Monster Follower & Boulder Toss) and replace them with:

"When you defeat another character in battle you may force your opponent to discard 1 Object or 1 Follower of your choice, in addition to the normal reward. If an Object is discarded in this way, gain 1 Fate. If a Follower is discarded, gain 1 Life."

This ability is a play on the Cyclops Adventure card, so thematically I feel it would be a better fit. It also keeps this character about in line with the Troll as far as power levels go.

Since I do like the Boulder Toss concept, here is a quick idea for a Yeti character:

Yeti

S-4

C-1

F-3

L-5

A-Neutral (maybe Evil)

Start-Any Hills space

Special Abilities

1) When you are about to engage a creature or character in battle, you may toss a boulder at them. Roll 1 die and add your Craft. If the score is greater than the characters Strength, they must lose 1 Life. If the score is greater than the creatures Strength, it is killed. Enemies killed in this way can be kept as trophies. This ability cannot be used on the Crown of Command space.

2) You need not roll when at the the Glacier. Instead you may automatically choose to move to any Hills in any Region.

3) You are immune to the effects of the Blizzard and Snowdrifts.

Anyhow, just a thought.

Here's one more new character i thought of.

j67w9h.jpg

So here are some changes to the others:

Berserker: Changed his base strength to 3 instead of 4. And he now always loses a turn after each battle.

Cyclops: I made his toss a boulder ability hit on just a 6 and misses on a 1-5 so its a bit more difficult to hit with.

Gremlin: Raised his strength to a 2. Gave him an evade ability since he's quite small in size. To answer your question would i find him fun? Well potentially it could be if i manage to survive and even actually start really winning the game with him. He's one of those made for pro characters i guess... for those that really want a challenge.

29dke3a.jpg

124y68j.jpg

2a9wrp3.jpg

@ kain7th - Looking at the Cyclops, the design strikes me as more of a Troll/Ogre Chieftain/Yeti Enemy hybrid than anything related to the Cyclops Stranger from the game. I like the concept for the Boulder Toss, but would personally prefer to see something like that on a Yeti character.

I think the stats for the Cyclops are good to go, as is the Crags ability. I would suggest removing the last 2 abilities (Monster Follower & Boulder Toss) and replace them with:

"When you defeat another character in battle you may force your opponent to discard 1 Object or 1 Follower of your choice, in addition to the normal reward. If an Object is discarded in this way, gain 1 Fate. If a Follower is discarded, gain 1 Life."

This ability is a play on the Cyclops Adventure card, so thematically I feel it would be a better fit. It also keeps this character about in line with the Troll as far as power levels go.

Since I do like the Boulder Toss concept, here is a quick idea for a Yeti character:

Yeti

S-4

C-1

F-3

L-5

A-Neutral (maybe Evil)

Start-Any Hills space

Special Abilities

1) When you are about to engage a creature or character in battle, you may toss a boulder at them. Roll 1 die and add your Craft. If the score is greater than the characters Strength, they must lose 1 Life. If the score is greater than the creatures Strength, it is killed. Enemies killed in this way can be kept as trophies. This ability cannot be used on the Crown of Command space.

2) You need not roll when at the the Glacier. Instead you may automatically choose to move to any Hills in any Region.

3) You are immune to the effects of the Blizzard and Snowdrifts.

Anyhow, just a thought.

Yeah i was just thinking of just what ability to give the Cyclops. I just figured since they are giants, maybe give him an ability where he can throw something large like a boulder?

The picture i actually struggled finding a good one. if you find or have a better one in mind i can put that in instead.

I like that cyclops ability you made and may consider adding it in. I also like the Yeti character idea too

Ok here is a new one today... let me just say... I really hate the flail... :)

1f6e194dc9d8fb5ec287bd7c8660c0f1.jpg

Flagellant

3 Strength
3 Craft
5 Life
2 Fate

Abilities:

• You cannot use armour of any kind.
  • Before battle, the Flagellant may whip itself into a frenzy; Lose 1 life and gain an additional die to add to your combat score (this loss cannot be prevented).
  • You must choose to take 1 life if you win battle against a player. If your opponent loses the life, you may choose to continue beating on him or her; if so, both players must miss 1 turn and your opponent loses 1 additional Life (this loss cannot be prevented).
  • You shrug off flail attacks; You automatically win any combat in which a flail is used against you.
  • You may add +1 to your result when praying.

Start: Temple
Alignment: Evil

Edited by chemical22

ansolutely love the flaggelant Chemical22! :D Couldn't resist, i made it as quick as I could; and considerng I am packing to go away to a festival early in the morning I should really get my priorities straight. Oh wait I already have ;) hahaha Awesome character!!! :D :D :D

Flagellant-Front-Face_zpsv4pfwbdk.png

Flaggelant is almost ability for ability an evil version of the martyr, but much weaker. How about making the ability work for psychic combat as well? and giving him some ability to heal or extra life. Alternatively make it less likely he loses life (extra die must exceed 3/both rolls must exceed 6 or 7 (58% or 42% chance of losing life).

Unless you for some reason feel the martyr is OP....

edit: well i rather like that he's an evil version, fun coincidence then i guess..

i missed the extra life feature, it does a lot to balance, i agree. tricky to evaluate the value of such an ability tbh, vs monsters it's not worth all that much, but what is the likelihood you can use it to kill another character who is a strong contender for the crown? i still think he needs a little extra like less likelihood of losing the life or fx letting him heal at chapel (he is clergy after all ;) ) but yeah, hes decent w the extra life

Edited by Rawsugar

Flaggelant is almost ability for ability an evil version of the martyr, but much weaker. How about making the ability work for psychic combat as well? and giving him some ability to heal or extra life. Alternatively make it less likely he loses life (extra die must exceed 3/both rolls must exceed 6 or 7 (58% or 42% chance of losing life).

Unless you for some reason feel the martyr is OP....

I'd never actually read the Martyr before, so all similarities are coincidental. Reading it now, it is quite similar - but I think there is enough difference to not worry about it. I think the immunity to flail and the 2 life damage to characters, makes up for where he is weaker vs. the martyr.

Edited by chemical22

Just thought of another new character. i really like making monster types into characters. i think its fun to think of their abilities

a9rcja.jpg

Another new one!

2crwz8n.jpg

Edited by kain7th

This game still has no "Frog Knight" "Frog Prince." etc.

One of the game's huge themes and mechanics, if not the mascot (bar the talisman) is a toad.

While i'm not a fan of anthropomorphic characters being introduced it would be the one understandable exception.

Just a basic idea.

Artwork: Anthropomorphic Toad with a rapier.

Start: Cursed Glade.

Str 3, Craft 3, Lives 4, Fate 3, Gold 1

You are immune to being turned into a toad.

When you roll a 6 for movement you may either add one space to your movement or cross the storm river.

When you defeat a character in battle roll a die, on a result of 5 or 6 that player is turned into a Toad.

This is just off the top of my head. I was expecting a character like this in The Woodlands and was a bit disappointed.

Do you think baked in toading is too powerful? I feel it's a niche unused.

I am trying to remember a really good character me and a friend thought of in the pub about a year ago...

...it was a Voodoo Priest (Shaman etc whatever the correct term is LOL)

One of his abilities involved his 'JuJu' soul bag where everytime you win a combat and kill an enemy you add a soul to it (max of 3) You can use a soul in battle/psychic combat to increase your strength/craft by 1

If you draw in combat - on your next turn instead of moving you may encounter the combat again and add one to your strength/craft (can't be used on mini-bosses, bosses etc)

You may use a soul from your JuJu soul bag to perform a 'spirit walk' - Roll two dice for movement and you may ignore any cards you draw that turn.

who wants to finish this character off for me?

:)

I am trying to remember a really good character me and a friend thought of in the pub about a year ago...

...it was a Voodoo Priest (Shaman etc whatever the correct term is LOL)

One of his abilities involved his 'JuJu' soul bag where everytime you win a combat and kill an enemy you add a soul to it (max of 3) You can use a soul in battle/psychic combat to increase your strength/craft by 1

If you draw in combat - on your next turn instead of moving you may encounter the combat again and add one to your strength/craft (can't be used on mini-bosses, bosses etc)

You may use a soul from your JuJu soul bag to perform a 'spirit walk' - Roll two dice for movement and you may ignore any cards you draw that turn.

who wants to finish this character off for me?

:)

This just gave me an idea of a character that steals trophies away from other characters.

Maybe the JuJu bag can hold 3 souls that can fight in your place using their Strength or Craft, to attack or defend during psychic combat.

...hmm, perhaps when I have some free time.

Edited by chemical22

Female_voodoo_armor_concept_art.jpg

Voodoo Mambo

2 Strength
3 Craft
4 Life
5 Fate

Abilities:

• When another character takes a trophy in your region, you may instead steal it for yourself if you first roll a 4, 5 or 6 on 1 die.
  • Your trophies can fight in your place in psychic combat using their strength or craft value. You may combine any number of your trophies in combat. In combat, your trophies are considered Spirits. Once the combat is over you must discard all trophies that were used and all defeated enemies.
  • Before movement, you may choose a trophy and flip it face down to perform a "Spirit Walk". You must move the number of spaces equal to the strength/craft value of the enemy. While spirit walking, you may evade any enemies that you encounter. At the beginning of your turn, roll 1 die; on a 5 or 6 the trophy is flipped face up. A trophy that is face down is considered to be removed from play until it is turned face up.

Starting: Graveyard

Alignment: Evil

Edited by chemical22

like it! great idea for the Spirit Walk Chemical22 :D

The second ability - Can you keep the trophies of any defeat enemies or are they discarded. I would imagine they are discarded...

Love the name as well...Is Mambo anything to do with Voodoo or is it just a sweet name? :lol:

https://youtu.be/EK_LN3XEcnw

Edited by talismanisland

:lol: can't say the word mambo without thinking of that song! **** 90s pop music!!!

like it! great idea for the Spirit Walk Chemical22 :D

The second ability - Can you keep the trophies of any defeat enemies or are they discarded. I would imagine they are discarded...

Love the name as well...Is Mambo anything to do with Voodoo or is it just a sweet name? :lol:

I've changed the second ability to reflect this suggestion - I agree with you.

Actually, a Mambo is the term used to describe a female voodoo priestess while a Houngan is the male counterpart.

Now I have that song in my head...

You learn something new everyday :) thanks for the insight Chemical22 ;)

Second ability is sorted, awesome going to throw this through Strange Eons over the weekend.

I think we should compile these as a Download on Talisman Island soon, I know Jon is game ;)

Chemical22

Do you have any other artwork you would be happy using for the Voodoo Mambo? Its just the artwork you put up I am having trouble getting the image cropped with a transparent background for use with Strange Eons. I will continue to try but if you do have another image it may work out better :D

I always wanted a generic adventurer type character. Just a guy with a sword maybe a shield and huge backpack full of gear on his back for camping setting off traps rations etc.

This is what I thought up, but I bet you lot could be much more creative.

Strength 3

Craft 3

(Maybe even Strength 4/ Craft 2, because I don't see him as an initial spellcaster, but then again Craft seems to cover "problem solving" as well.)

Fate 3 (maybe 4 because he's a lucky sort of guy and his abilities are not very powerful?)

Lives 4 (Maybe 5 because of the mechanic below)

Gold 1

Neutral

Starts in Tavern.

Ability 1: You can carry unlimited items.

Ability 2: Whenever you lose a life, roll a die. On a result of 6, you do you lose a live. If a source causes you to lose more than one life, roll once for each life lost.

Granville your image of your character reminds a little of the Compleat Adventurer character created by Bob Harris for the 30th Anniversary :)

I like the idea of just a generic adventurer who's luck has kept him alive. I like the abilities but what do you think if he started with a Sword from the purchase deck? and perhaps to show how luck is on his side maybe he adds +1 to die rolled at the Tavern? :)