New character ideas !

By korneelt, in Talisman

Granville your image of your character reminds a little of the Compleat Adventurer character created by Bob Harris for the 30th Anniversary :)

I like the idea of just a generic adventurer who's luck has kept him alive. I like the abilities but what do you think if he started with a Sword from the purchase deck? and perhaps to show how luck is on his side maybe he adds +1 to die rolled at the Tavern? :)

That's funny, that's the art I had in my head. Thanks for the notation.

I just couldn't place where I saw it.

As for starting with a sword, sure why not. Part of the joke is the guy is supposed to have a tool for everything like pytons, bedroll, etc.

At one point I had thought of him having some kind of bonus to Place cards, making him a somewhat seasoned tourist, but I could not come up with something that is balanced.

For his Tourist'y theme perhaps you could have "When rolling a dice on a Place card, roll an additional die and choice which result you wish" - Giving hijm that well toured wisdom of places around the land? or maybe just +1 to dice rolls when visiting places or place cards

:)

For his Tourist'y theme perhaps you could have "When rolling a dice on a Place card, roll an additional die and choice which result you wish" - Giving hijm that well toured wisdom of places around the land? or maybe just +1 to dice rolls when visiting places or place cards

:)

I like the roll 2 dice and choose!

Here we go:

Adventurer

Starting Space: Tavern

Alignment: Neutral

Strength 3

Craft 3

Life 5

Fate 4

Gold 1

Expert Hauler: You may carry as many Objects as you like you do not have a limit of four.

Seasoned Traveler: When Encountering a Place card you may roll two dice and choose the result.

Edge: When you lose a life, you may roll a die. On a result of 6 you do not lose a life. If an effect causes you to lose more than one life, roll a die for each.

It's perfect. He has no real edge out of the gate as opposed to MANY of the characters out there, so he starts a bit behind in the race to the crown. However slow and steady can win the race. He's a great character for new players and veteran players a like. Mid-game he does not have to worry about carry limits at all and vets will be able to potentially exploit Place cards, but the ability is not a sure-fire effect either much like the Rogue's. High Lives and Fate gives a lot of room for mistakes while being neutral allows a player to tweak their Alignment with no real penalty and both high lives and fate means either Good or Evil can work. With this guy it's even debatable which one is better leaving it up to preference.

Starting at the Tavern is classic flavor.

Adventurer%20Granville_zpsltfhv6ns.png

Couldn't resist adding the +1 at the Tavern as he clearly looks like a drinker and someone that could never be blind drink missing a turn :)

Hahaha I like him even more now, the image reminds me of Madmartigan from Willow, maybe we should give him a free water bottle, being as he can hold infinite objects and travels a lot + the scene from the movie. It also suggests he might be a drunk ;)

"Of all the things, why does he start with a water bottle?"

"He starts in the tavern and he travels a lot. Water is the essence of survival and liquor the essence of sanity."

With a 1 in 3 shot at taking a ferry boat to the middle region he can use his water bottle too, which has become a bit of an underused item due to better items being out there.

If players don't like it they can always pawn it at the city for an extra gold.

Edited by Granville

Chemical22

Do you have any other artwork you would be happy using for the Voodoo Mambo? Its just the artwork you put up I am having trouble getting the image cropped with a transparent background for use with Strange Eons. I will continue to try but if you do have another image it may work out better :D

How is this?

3DO_preview.jpg

False Prophet

Strength: 2
Craft: 4
Life: 4
Fate: 5

Alignment: Evil
Start: Temple

Special Abilities

Whenever a character gains a follower, you replenish one fate.

----------------------------

At the start of your turn you may attempt to convert any followers of another character in your region. Roll 1 die, on a 5-6 gain a follower of your choice, on a 1, lose 1 random follower.

When a character uses fate for a re-roll, you may spend one fate to force them to accept their first roll.

Beastmaster

Strength 3 Craft 3 Life 3 Fate 2

At the start of the game draw 3 random pets. At the start of your turn, if you have less than 3 pets you may draw a pet.

You may attempt to charm any animal you meet. Roll a die, if the roll is equal to or higher than the strength of the animal you may take it as a follower, If it is lower the animal attacks as normal. You may have charmed animal followers fight in your place, if they win you may take your normal reward if they lose they die and no additional reward may be taken.

Start: city, alignment: neutral

Merchants son

Strength 1 Craft 3 Life 4 Fate 2

Whenever you buy one or more cards from a shop you may pay 2 gold less to a minimum of 1

At beginning of the game choose one: You start the game with 9 gold OR At the beginning of your turn, if you are in the city or outer region, and not in a shop: Gain 1 gold

Start: any shop Alignment: neutral

Eklektos

Strength 2 Craft 2 Life 2 Fate 2

Whenever you land on a space draw a card from the adventure deck of your current region, encounter it, then encounter the space.

Whenever you would lose a life roll a die. If the roll is higher than your current number of lives you dont lose a life.

Start: Chapel Alignment: Good

Edited by Rawsugar

False Prophet

Strength: 2

Craft: 4

Life: 4

Fate: 5

Alignment: Evil

Start: Temple

Special Abilities

Whenever a character gains a follower, you replenish one fate.

At the start of your turn you may attempt to convert any followers of another character in your region. Roll 1 die, on a 5-6 gain a follower of your choice, on a 1, lose 1 random follower.

---------------------------

When a character uses fate for a re-roll, you may spend one fate to force them to accept their first roll.

I like false prophet. Seems useful and rather unique. I could see that in an official expansion.

Voodoo mambo - first ability is waaaaaay to good. Possibly a game-breaking ability.

Edited by Bludgeon

PALADIN

Strength 4 / Craft 3 / Fate 4 / Life 5

Start: Chapel / Alignment: Good

1. You are always good. If an effect would change your alignment, instead lose 1 fate.

2. Add your current fate to your attack score when fighting evil characters, cultists, demons, spirits, and undead enemies. Whenever you defeat such characer or enemy, replenish 1 fate.

3. Whenever you end your move on a space with another good character, or another good character ends his move on your space, you must give them one gold or one object. If you can't, you lose 1 fate.

4. You may not attack good or neutral characters.

Edited by Bludgeon

EARTH WIZARD

Strength 2 / Craft 4 / Fate 3 / Life 4

Start: Sentinel / Alignment: Neutral

1. At the start of your turn, you may gain 1 Spell, if your Craft allows.

2. You may reshape earth whenever you start your turn on a space with instructions to draw cards. Draw three random Terrain cards and put on of them on your space. Then you may encounter the space instead of moving normally.
3. When you end your move on a space with a Terrain card, you may discard it to heal 1 life.

SORCERER

Strength 2 / Craft 5 / Fate 1 / Life 4

Start: City / Alignment: Neutral

1. You begin the game with two spells.

2. At the start of your turn, you may gain 1 Spell, if your Craft allows.

3. Whenever you encounter another character, instead of attacking them you may trade . First, look at their Spells. Then you may exchange any number of your Spells and/or gold for their Spells and/or gold (you choose which Spells).

RANGER

Strength 3 / Craft 3 / Fate 3 / Life 4

Start: Forest / Alignment: Neutral

1. You begin the game with a bow from the Armoury deck and with three arrow tokens on your character card.

2. You may remove an arrow token from your character card instead of spending gold when using bow.

3. If you start your turn in the Forest or Woods, you may end your turn to replenish arrow tokens on your character card to three. Also, if you don't have a bow, take one from the Armoury deck.

4. If you move through a space with enemy - animal, you may end your move there and encounter that enemy.

TOPER

Strength 3 / Craft 3 / Fate 2 / Life 4

Start: Tavern / Alignment: Neutral

1. You know how to handle hangover. Whenever you are instructed to lose a turn, you may instead lose 1 fate.

2. Once per turn, at any time during your turn, you may drink . Add 2 to your Strength and Craft until end of turn but you must miss your next turn.

3. Whenever you visit City, Tavern, or Village, you may carouse instead of following instructions of the space. Heal 1 life or replenish 1 fate and your turn ends.

4. You may ignore strangers by sharing a drink with them. If you do, miss your next turn.

Edited by Bludgeon

TOPER

1. You know how to handle hangover. Whenever you are instructed to lose a turn, you may instead lose 1 fate.

2. At any time you may drink . Add 2 to your Strength and Craft until end of turn but you must miss your next turn.

Can ability one and two be used hand in hand? If you were to attain Lucky (pet) this character would basically be unstoppable....

Edited by JediKnightAmoeba

TOPER

2. At any time you may drink . Add 2 to your Strength and Craft until end of turn but you must miss your next turn.

1. Can ability one and two be used hand in hand?

2. If you were to attain Lucky (pet) this character would basically be unstoppable....

1. Yes

2. Maybe I should add that drinking ability can only be used once per turn.

My first creation :)

ARCHER
https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Archer-Fronte-Scheda.jpg

We need this type of character. I was inspired by Elfen Bow and Oberon's Bow.
-
CAN YOU SEE THE LINK? I'M NEW WITH THESE STUFF and I don't know how to copy&paste the picture by my pc. Thanks.

Edited by Filippo

My first creation :)

ARCHER https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Archer-Fronte-Scheda.jpg

We need this type of character. I was inspired by Elfen Bow and Oberon's Bow.

-

CAN YOU SEE THE LINK? I'M NEW WITH THESE STUFF and I don't know how to copy&paste the picture by my pc. Thanks.

Nope trying the link takes me to dropbox sign in page. Its best to link to pictures its a righto cow to insert pictures into the text here. Good to see you creating anyway look forward to seeing your creation. As everyone elses thats why i pop in and have a looky :) .

e63250a1063908d484a1219a4b655220.jpg

CAN YOU SEE IT?

Edited by Filippo

e63250a1063908d484a1219a4b655220.jpg

CAN YOU SEE IT?

YAY!!

Ah you made the bow a actual Special Ability and you said "if you do not use a weapon" thus you can still use a object- bow if you get one. I like the "use 1 fate to fire a arrow" have you thought about saying: "If you use a bow in battle you must use fate instead of gold".

But that will get confusing with the first bow reference

Maybe change "can use your Bow" in the first special rule to "can lose a arrow"

The last ability could then say "you may only carry 3 objects" the bow wording might confuse a lot of players.

I would play test it but other than that a 3 fate instead of 4 might be in order. But it might play test really well :) . try it out. Good work.