Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

You'll need to get Darth Vader uploaded soon Sorastro, I'm catching up!

(Superb job with those officers by the way Muz!)

You'll need to get Darth Vader uploaded soon Sorastro, I'm catching up!

"We shall double our efforts!"

(Superb job with those officers by the way Muz!)

I literally couldn't have done it without your videos. Even more so, without your videos I would have never felt that I could pick up a brush and make tabletop quality miniatures!

Edit:

With the small box expansion and further blister packs announced you're going to have a lot of videos to make. :P

Edited by Muz333

Sorastro,

I check your channel everyday with baited breath hoping for a new tutorial.

Even though I have now completed my set I still get giddy like a child when I see a new upload.

The AT-ST tutorial was simple with quite stunning results. My wife even commented on how good my AT-ST looks.

I was wondering if you had a recommended approaching the 'squad number identification'?

The arena gets a little muddled with so many piles of damage tokens and the base stickers look out of place.

I made an attempt to differentiate using marks shoulder armour but not sure i like how it ended up.

Sorastro,

Even though I have now completed my set I still get giddy like a child when I see a new upload.

The AT-ST tutorial was simple with quite stunning results. My wife even commented on how good my AT-ST looks.

I was wondering if you had a recommended approaching the 'squad number identification'?

The arena gets a little muddled with so many piles of damage tokens and the base stickers look out of place.

I made an attempt to differentiate using marks shoulder armour but not sure i like how it ended up.

I suspect it is easier to track damage on the base of the figure using dice. I plan to buy something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dice-16mm-Round-Corner-Spot/dp/B003E3DOQ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426670438&sr=8-2&keywords=red+dice

If you really want a Squad Number then why not paint a stripe across the base. The amount of stripes would designate what number the unit is as part of the squad.

Edited by Muz333

Sorastro,

I suspect it is easier to track damage on the base of the figure using dice. I plan to buy something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dice-16mm-Round-Corner-Spot/dp/B003E3DOQ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426670438&sr=8-2&keywords=red+dice

If you really want a Squad Number then why not paint a stripe across the base. The amount of stripes would designate what number the unit is as part of the squad.

I plan on doing this when I paint mine. I've made card sheets for each deployment group with spots for health and conditions, example:

Done_stormtrooper_elite_web.jpg

I plan on painting the edges the color like Sorastro but add white tick marks at each 90 degree position on the edge to differentiate the ranks I, II, III.

Also really ticked because all my cards are now going to be outdated once the expansion hits and there's a new condition. Going to have to come up with something a bit more future proof.

Also really ticked because all my cards are now going to be outdated once the expansion hits and there's a new condition. Going to have to come up with something a bit more future proof.

Remove the condition icons and move the damage area up to the top. On the bottom have a tab saying 'Conditions', just like the 'exhausted' one. Then any conditions can have the card slipped under the tab. Bam. Job done.

Edited by Muz333

Sorastro,

Thanks Addum! Episode 7 is currently uploading so you won't have to wait much longer :) It took an unusually long time to complete but I'm hoping to be able to get through the next few a little quicker.

I haven't really given much thought to squad number identification to be honest, but it sounds like Muzz and kevinjohn have some great ideas.

Happy painting all :)

Thanks Addum! Episode 7 is currently uploading so you won't have to wait much longer :) It took an unusually long time to complete but I'm hoping to be able to get through the next few a little quicker.

Photos please! I'm too impatient to wait for the video being uploaded! I don't know if you have a firm plan for the order of the tutorial series, however I'd like to be in a vote for the Trandoshans.

Sorastro, if I'm counting right, that should be it for the Imperials (until you get your hands on the wave 1 expansions). Do you mind sharing which faction you'll be painting next?

Photos please! I'm too impatient to wait for the video being uploaded! I don't know if you have a firm plan for the order of the tutorial series, however I'd like to be in a vote for the Trandoshans.

OK just for you! I've put a couple of shots on the first page of the thread. I was extremely nervous about painting Vader and I'm still not sure I'm 100% happy with him but I did my best!

As usual I'll be keeping quiet about the next video though - sorry :)

Thanks again for the support.

Happy painting!

*Goes to bed*

Edited by Sorastro

OK just for you! I've put a couple of shots on the first page of the thread. I was extremely nervous about painting Vader and I'm still not sure I'm 100% happy with him but I did my best!

You should be, by far your best! I've got to paint him this week now.

Edit:

Just realised my paint mix up in buying a very dark green over a black will come back to bite me here. I'll need to try a thin layer of Abandon Black all over the mini before I can start the highlighting.

Now I'm nervous! I didn't realise how hard black would be to highlight.

Edit 2:

I really feel for you when it comes to painting C3P0. I have no idea how to go about paints for that when he comes out.

Edited by Muz333

Remove the condition icons and move the damage area up to the top. On the bottom have a tab saying 'Conditions', just like the 'exhausted' one. Then any conditions can have the card slipped under the tab. Bam. Job done.

That would theoretically work except that you use tokens for imperials and cards for heroes. There are only 4 cards of each condition, 1 for each hero. Honestly considering the various cards that can boost a figure's health, even the health token areas aren't 100% the best bet. I think I'll just have 2 empty areas, 1 labeled health and 1 labeled condition tokens. Then you can still track individual stats for each figure and aren't tied down to certain health values and I won't have to worry about future conditions.

Also Sorastro, just by looking at the picture of Vader... " I'm still not sure I'm 100% happy with him"... you had better be 99.9% happy with him because DAYUM!!

Edit: Watched the video and before it I had no desire to change the bases and now I'm curious how much a set of those tech bases are in $$... Thanks I think? :P

Edited by kevinjohn3d

Love your videos I mostly use them for suggestions on what colors and strategies to paint each figure.

Now with IG88 out do you have any brief suggestions how to paint him aside from your droids. Basically looking for paint colors you think would work best.

Thanks again and keep those amazing videos coming.

Excellent job on Vader.

I hope the hunters will be next? :)

Excellent job on Vader.

I hope the hunters will be next? :)

I can't wait to see his Trandoshans. Followed by the Nexu to see how he does the stripes.

Let's show some love to Sorastro and like his videos and subscribe to his channel. Show him that we are his kind of scum.

That's my Vader ready for the matte varnish then 'Ardcoat. Could definitely have come out better but working with such dark colours under poor lighting made it a bit of a Sisyphean task.

Edit:

Here is a photo prior to varnish. It's a bit out of focus as the phone on my camera refused to acknowledge Vader head on.

2ntbkgy.jpg

I'll upload finished pics at some point with the finished Officers.

Edited by Muz333

I finished my Vader, can`t wait for the next video! (first time painter)

14tq1ya.jpg 11uxegj.jpg 11cbcp0.jpg hupr86.jpg

Edited by Nofunatall

Hi folks!

Edit: Watched the video and before it I had no desire to change the bases and now I'm curious how much a set of those tech bases are in $$... Thanks I think? :P

Muzz and Nofunatall: Those Vaders look stunning; It's hard to believe you're first-time painters!

De Bad Wolf: I haven't given it much thought but when I recieved my IG-88 the other day and looked at the box art I just knew I'd have to add some blue and red glazes to capture the lighting.

Thanks Arem for the rallying call by the way :)

Happy painting!

Sorastro could you hit up my thread and see what you could suggest for improvements? I just started stripping the storm troopers for a fourth time.. this time I'm having a heck of a time removing the paints, the base seems to be sticking around but I'm also not letting them soak as long as they did before.

I actually sealed them all THEN saw all these flaws with the troopers (and Luke forgot to paint his eyes ARGH) so back in the Simple Green!)

Well, I've made a disastrous start to the AT-ST. During the wash step I knocked over my pot of Nuln Oil. I used my kitchen roll nearby to quickly soak it up then tried to use this saturated kitchen roll to apply the wash minimising the amount of paint lost. I quickly applied this over the miniature using the kitchen roll only to realise I never had any clean kitchen roll left to wipe the panels and clean up the miniature.

As it stands my AT-ST is in line to be the messiest, grungiest pile of scrap to grace the Empire.

Edited by Muz333

Well, I've made a disastrous start to the AT-ST. During the wash step I knocked over my pot of Nuln Oil. I used my kitchen roll nearby to quickly soak it up then tried to use this saturated kitchen roll to apply the wash minimising the amount of paint lost. I quickly applied this over the miniature using the kitchen roll only to realise I never had any clean kitchen roll left to wipe the panels and clean up the miniature.

As it stands my AT-ST is in line to be the messiest, grungiest pile of scrap to grace the Empire.

Doh! Not to worry though - Can't you just let it dry then re-apply the Celestra Grey and start over (although by the sounds of it you may have to buy some more Nuln Oil)?

Next time do what I did and transfer the Nuln Oil into a pallet if you have one to avoid this :) If it's any comfort I did exactly the same thing a while ago with a pot of green glaze (whilst painting zombies) although I managed to use a large brush to soak most of it up and transfer it back into the pot.

Doh! Not to worry though - Can't you just let it dry then re-apply the Celestra Grey and start over (although by the sounds of it you may have to buy some more Nuln Oil)?

Next time do what I did and transfer the Nuln Oil into a pallet if you have one to avoid this :) If it's any comfort I did exactly the same thing a while ago with a pot of green glaze (whilst painting zombies) although I managed to use a large brush to soak most of it up and transfer it back into the pot.

I'll probably need some more Nuln Oil soon, lost over 3/4 of the pot. Lesson learnt! For now I'll just continue on and see how it turns out. Worst case scenario I strip it and repeat.

I'll have to invest in a paint pallet. Currently I'm just using some cling film. :P

Edit:

Anyway, here are some pictures of the dirty old gal. Would have preferred it to be a little bit cleaner but at least I can do that for General Weiss next weekend, assuming my packs arrive next week.

t5ludg.jpg

2uib1vt.jpg

Edit 2:

I just realised, I've caught up with all your videos! D:

Edited by Muz333

Sorastro,

your painting tutorials are just what was needed for the Imperial Assault gaming community.

FFG should send all extra mini boxes to you for free.

Any idea for an alternative to painting the bases red for elite models?