Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Dude you sure are making my miniatures look bad when compared!! I keep doing the miniatures you do right before you release a new video THEN I learn all these new techniques!

Inspiration abound sir. I finally get why you water stuff down and apply it in many thin layers instead of undiluted.. Very very effective at keeping the details.

Here is my eweb, not as clean but better than blank

post-212290-0-86577500-1425220024_thumb.jpg

Edited by dsoline

Couldn't wait as my campaign character is Mak. Tried the techniques you did and looks ok. Green pants and shirt looked christmas-ish so I black washed and got what I wanted.

post-212290-0-41148000-1425220515_thumb.jpg

Edited by dsoline

These videos are amazing! I tried painting my troopers on my own without any guides. They turned out to look like troopers who had been rolling around Tattooine too long. I may need to make an attempt to repair them.

I just started following your videos for the Royal Guards and I'm really pleased with the results (they aren't perfect and this is a bad picture but here's an in progress one from last night, the guard in the far right is complete: http://imgur.com/PxoDNRg)

Thank you for your videos they are inspiring and very helpful!

Any tips for someone who painted a mini and would now like to repaint or paint over it?

I may just try drybrushing the highlighted ares to clean up my troopers but for now they are pretty battle worn.

I used Simple Green I got from Lowe's and put my storm troopers in a bath for 24 hours and then went to scrubbing them with a toothbrush afterwards and they came out pretty much back to original with no loss of detail. This was viable as I primed with Army Painter Grey and it's not really a "primer" as others are, it's more of a color spray in a can.

You could also try pealing the paint with a hobby knife but that might take forever.

I second the Simple Green. My At-ST had an unfortunate incident with an inferior base (Testors) so I soaked for 24 hours and scrubbed it to remove paint and horrible odor. I use Krylon Fusion for plastic as it is cheap but does well. The grey I found is the same base color needed for the at st and I got to skip a step.

Sorastro,

I'm loving the painting guides so far. Thanks for this great contribution to the IA community.

You chose to give your Imperial Officers a blue hue in episode 5 using Stegadon Scale Green, Dark Reaper, and Thunderhawk Blue. Can you recommend a suite of colors if I wanted to paint my officers in a gray hue more like Grand Moff Tarkin's uniform color?

Edited by gallaghertm

Thanks for the further comments fellow gamers!

Sorastro,

I'm loving the painting guides so far. Thanks for this great contribution to the IA community.

You choose to give your Imperial Officers a blue hue in episode 5 using Stegadon Scale Green, Dark Reaper, and Thunderhawk Blue. Can you recommend a suite of colors if I wanted to paint my officers in a gray hue more like Grand Moff Tarkin's uniform color?

Good question! I actually included a plain grey variant "recipe" in the video description (as I know not everyone will want to go the blue-ish route); I'll copy it here for convenience:

1) Base with Mechanicus Standard Grey.
2) Wash with Nuln Oil.
3) Highlight with Eshin Grey (this will initially look virtually identical to the Mechanicus Standard Grey), but then add some White Scar to the Eshin Grey to produce the next couple of lighter tones. (We use the Eshin Grey rather than the Mechanicus Standard Grey as it's a "layer" paint so better for building up semi-translucent layers.)
Happy painting!

Thanks for the further comments fellow gamers!

Sorastro,

You choose to give your Imperial Officers a blue hue in episode 5 using Stegadon Scale Green, Dark Reaper, and Thunderhawk Blue. Can you recommend a suite of colors if I wanted to paint my officers in a gray hue more like Grand Moff Tarkin's uniform color?

Good question! I actually included a plain grey variant "recipe" in the video description (as I know not everyone will want to go the blue-ish route); I'll copy it here for convenience:

1) Base with Mechanicus Standard Grey.
2) Wash with Nuln Oil.
3) Highlight with Eshin Grey (this will initially look virtually identical to the Mechanicus Standard Grey), but then add some White Scar to the Eshin Grey to produce the next couple of lighter tones. (We use the Eshin Grey rather than the Mechanicus Standard Grey as it's a "layer" paint so better for building up semi-translucent layers.)
Happy painting!

Thanks for the fast reply. Sorry I missed the variant paint job in the video and thanks again for restating it above. Again, great job on the videos and I look forward to Vader's episode soon so we can close out the Imperials...that is...until the expansion packs arrive in March.

I have felt a great Balance in The Force.

Sure enough Sorastro has completed another great video.

If you only knew the power of Sorastro's paintbrush.

In the movies you see the officers wearing also a greenish uniform dress.

Thats what I am about to go for.

Do you have an advice for me too? :)

Great way to learn is mixing paints and try to get perfect tone. ;)

Hi fellow painters!

What will be next?

Darth Vader?

All I'll say at the moment is that the next few videos will complete the Imperial faction :)

Vader. You MUST confront Vader! Then, only then, a Jedi, will you be. And confront him, you will.

So I can't find any uniform grey spray primer locally. Is it possible for my to prime say the Probe Droids in white and then paint the uniform grey basecoat on top. Am I adding too many layers?

So I can't find any uniform grey spray primer locally. Is it possible for my to prime say the Probe Droids in white and then paint the uniform grey basecoat on top. Am I adding too many layers?

While I don't have my paints yet I had the same issue, so I'm going to go for black.

The 'Warhammer TV' channel on YouTube has painting tutorials and they almost exclusively use black. So I'd just spray it then add your base colour on top.

However, I've never painted anything yet, so take that advice with a pinch of salt.

Edited by Muz333

Hi folks!

In the movies you see the officers wearing also a greenish uniform dress.

Thats what I am about to go for.

Do you have an advice for me too? :)

You could perhaps try something like Castellan Green for a base tone, then add a little light grey or white to create the highlighs?

Hi fellow painters!

What will be next?

Darth Vader?

All I'll say at the moment is that the next few videos will complete the Imperial faction :)

Vader. You MUST confront Vader! Then, only then, a Jedi, will you be. And confront him, you will.

Lol Arem; Hint taken :)

You could do; Just try to keep the layers pretty thin to preserve the detail. I'd agree with Muzz though - it would be easiest if you could get hold of some black (which you might need for at least one of the upcoming miniatures anyway ;) )

Happy painting!

Edited by Sorastro

Thanks for sharing those videos. We are a pair friends that are painting the whole set. I have to admit that I am not a fast painter so usually the minis are not finished before we move to from one game to the next. But your videos encouraged my friend to paint the bulk of the set and he is really fast thanks to your videos.

I think we will be playing fully painted in about 1 week. (my contribution just being the AT-ST and the guys in the red robes ;-) )

Sorastro, your videos are amazing.

I've never painted minis before, and it used to seem completely daunting until I watched your videos. Keep up the excellent work, and thanks for inspiring me to get more out of my set!

I have a feeling Sorastro should ask for a commission from all the paint supply companies and local hobby stores for the volume of profit he has been sending there way. It makes me happy every time I see one of his videos or a new post on this thread with someone else starting into the world of painting. I am no expert; having only started with Imperial Assault as well, but anyone who asks me about painting these days I direct them to Sorastro's videos!!

Keep up the excellent work sir!!

Edited by Ketricel

Thank you nechromus, solmed411 and Ketricel! I'm so happy if my videos have managed to make the hobby a little more accessible, especially to anyone just starting out. I'm certainly no master painter for sure, but you don't have to be a master to enjoy the hobby and get decent results that can really help bring the game to life.

I've been putting in some late nights on the next episode and it's coming along steadily...

Happy painting!

I've been putting in some late nights on the next episode and it's coming along steadily...

Take your paintbrush, brush stroke Vader with all of your skill,

Hi Sorastros and the whole community,

I have been in and out of the minitaure gaming an painting world for years, but am looking at getting back into this. I have picked up Imperial Assault and after watching your videos, have a new outlook on the painting side of things. I previously came from the old school of trying to be as technical as possible, although I am not that great. Your videos have a simple but professional style that I like.

Keep up the good work, and be proud that you have influenced and inspired so many people from reading the comments.

Nikodemus

Take your paintbrush, brush stroke Vader with all of your skill,

Lol Arem - like it :)

Hi Sorastros and the whole community,

I have been in and out of the minitaure gaming an painting world for years, but am looking at getting back into this. I have picked up Imperial Assault and after watching your videos, have a new outlook on the painting side of things. I previously came from the old school of trying to be as technical as possible, although I am not that great. Your videos have a simple but professional style that I like.

Keep up the good work, and be proud that you have influenced and inspired so many people from reading the comments.

Nikodemus

Thank you very much Nikodemus. I've been astounded by how many first-time or returning-to-the-hobby painters have picked up a paint brush and done an incredible job with their IA miniatures. More and more have been sharing their work over on the "Sorastro's Painting" facebook page and it's so pleasing to see!

I've been using Sorastro's Painting guides and I thought I'd post my progress here. I hadn't painted miniatures in 10 years and I was pretty awful at it as a kid.

I worked on my probe droids last night and thanks to these guides they look really nice.

http://i.imgur.com/H7e4YvA.jpg

The left two droids have one or two more cycles of wash left but the night was getting late.

Thanks Sorastro (Not I used Black primer and painted over it with uniform grey base color, then followed all the steps in the video).

I like those Kennedy, the plates on the Probe droids pop out. I have kept and plan to keep my IA box pristine though, :) .

Sorastro,

Thank you for having such a well laid out tutorial. I've never picked up a brush in my life; however, the depth and method you approach the hobby really make it appealing.

My stormtroopers turned out as good as I could hope for but I was hoping anyone could give some tips for a more consistent highlighting layer and countering a loss of detail.

KNbRlSK.jpg

Thanks again, Sorastro. I look forward to your future videos.

Wish me luck. Just going to start with the probe droids. They look the easiest for my first ever paint job.