Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

I make my generics distinct with bases. In this case, a trench gunner and an Endor-y forest scout. I gave the barbed wire just a touch of Blood for the Blood God from the scout setting it up in a rush. My Endor guy has Army Painter Summer Undergrowth and various nicks from wildlife. I stuck a tiny stick on the power box like an Ewok hit it with an arrow, but that fell off. Remembering "Time and Punishment," I stuck some Nurgle's Rot on his elbow and underside of boot from an imagined encounter with a very large mosquito. I have some camouflage netting that I might throw over the cannon.

E_WEBs.jpg

The 501st Legion cut their teeth at The Battle of Geonosis, so I figured the designated 501st stormtroopers should have a base that reflects this. I wanted one of the troopers to have an explosion-charred face. I mixed up umber and black, and it looked fine. I tried adding some orange embers and it looked awful. I covered it with Typhus Corrosion and it suddenly looked amazing. In-person, it's convincing enough that I want to buy him a beer and thank him for his service.

As a side note, pear stems look really good when protruding from a Geonosis base.

501st.jpg

I modeled Saska's base after the floor in my previously mentioned cousin's metal shop. Solid grey with spots of Typhus Corrosion and loose Nuln Oil.

Also, I mostly covered her face in Nuln Oil, sparing only the area around her eyes that would be covered with the goggles. The motor came from a flea market toy store that has a hobby section.

Saska.jpg

I mostly followed the video, but when it came time for basing, I had some Armageddon Dust sloping down from his right. I darkened all of the sand that would be submerged and drybrushed with Terminatus Stone. I glued some little bits of Summer Undergrowth to be seaweed and covered the area with Vallejo Heavy Gel Gloss. The seaweed's color bled very heavily into the gel, which actually made for a good effect. Lacking Coelia Greenshade, I mixed some Drakenhof and Biel-Tan together with a boatload of Lahmian Medium and layered it very carefully. The last time I attempted this, I had used Tamiya Clear Blue and it ended up looking like kids toothpaste.

I'm hoping the next big box after Tyrants of Lothal gives us some Scarif beach stuff so I can do this with the Imperial Shore Troopers.

Kanye_West.jpg

I have one AT-ST base that's nice and muddy like in the video, but I wanted one to be snowy, the way we were introduced to the vehicle. I used Mourn Mountain Snow, Agrellan Earth, painted the Agrellan white, and threw in some Tamiya Clear Blue to serve as icy water.

Happy_Feet.jpg

Painted these guys right after Jabba's Realm came out. I designated one group as "Hall Guards." Pretty sure I used Armageddon Dust and gave it a semi-gloss to give it that Jabba's Palace glisten effect. Naturally, I gave tiny specks of Nurgle's Rot to their outfits and the ground from when they absentmindedly dribble from their nostrils. I might give one of them a little smear on his arm from the one time he decided to wipe his snout.

The "Sanctum Guards" are wary of standing too close to any guests that upset Lord Jabba. Window screen. Also, I washed their equipment in Nuln Oil instead of Agrax Earthshade to further differentiate them.

I know the center circles aren't supposed to be metal, but they look so much better that way.

Pequeninos.jpg

I like to imagine these guys rappelling from a rooftop and through a window right before posing. I considered it vital that the shards be flat and matching with each other, so I smashed some old plexiglass and glued the shards on.

I did not intend for them to look like the Trump Boys.

ISB.jpg

Dengar and BT-1 both have ash to reflect their overjudicious use of explosives. Gale Force 9 Tundra/Ash Flock, drybrushed white, drybrushed orange. I didn't know about PVA glue at the time.

Dengar_Zone.jpg

Nice job on the miniatures and especially the bases. Will copy some of your ideas.

AT-ST with Pegasus Hobbies Green Camouflage Netting. Perfect immersion booster with the Imperial Black Ops Class. Also a good explanation for having it pop out of nowhere when the Imperial player gets reinforcements.

This stuff is also good over E-Webs. I've used the stretchy holes to stick heads and arms through so a figure can be wearing a cloak.

Camo_Walker.jpg

On 5/14/2018 at 5:51 PM, Averross said:

I like to imagine these guys rappelling from a rooftop and through a window right before posing. I considered it vital that the shards be flat and matching with each other, so I smashed some old plexiglass and glued the shards on.

ISB.jpg

While playing the S.W.A.T. theme from the 70s.

On 2/16/2018 at 12:40 PM, udat said:

Drokatta! A bit underwhelming so far in our campaign, but fun to paint. This was my first attempt at wet blending :)

38495641180_e4736bf4f9_z.jpg
38495640030_ca9ff613a2_z.jpg

What do you think? :)

Those goggles are fantastic! What did you use?

On 2/3/2015 at 3:56 PM, Sorastro said:

Thank you very much Fizz and Slim. I might do as you suggest Fizz if I can find the time (which I might not until I complete the series!).

Well done slim - both for getting into such a fantastic hobby, and for your Darth! I don't know if it's just a psychological thing but I'm quite daunted by the thought of painting Vader (although I know I must face him eventually!).

Even after painting minis from different games for years now, I always feel a little intimidated when starting on an iconic character like Vader or Boba Fett.

On 6/22/2018 at 5:44 PM, RKRichar said:

Those goggles are fantastic! What did you use?

Sorry for the extremely delayed response - haven't been painting or browsing the forums all summer.

I painted the goggles interior pure white, and then "filled" each eye socket with green glaze (waywatcher green?)

After a few months off, I picked up my brushes again this week and painted Onar. I didn't have a lot of the colours that Sorastro used, so I mixed as close as I could get with what I had.

43339051115_6098a3e126_c.jpg

Looks excellent!

I have a zenithal highlights/airbrushing question...

I painted Shyla up quite quickly just so that she'd be ready for game night, and I wasn't very happy with how she came out. I primed in black and then used white primer from above for the zenithal highlight. The white was smooth enough where there was a reasonable concentration of white, but at the fringes there were white "blobs" on the black rather than a smooth transition. I shook the can for ages, so I don't think it's that.

Would an airbrush give smoother transitions? I've never used/owned one, but I'd be willing to give it a try if it makes a big difference to how fine the paint is.

Here's how she turned out. Not great, but not bad for just a few hours work :)

30394455978_df0e9a096c_c.jpg

On 9/1/2018 at 1:09 PM, udat said:

I have a zenithal highlights/airbrushing question...

I painted Shyla up quite quickly just so that she'd be ready for game night, and I wasn't very happy with how she came out. I primed in black and then used white primer from above for the zenithal highlight. The white was smooth enough where there was a reasonable concentration of white, but at the fringes there were white "blobs" on the black rather than a smooth transition. I shook the can for ages, so I don't think it's that.

Would an airbrush give smoother transitions? I've never used/owned one, but I'd be willing to give it a try if it makes a big difference to how fine the paint is.

Here's how she turned out. Not great, but not bad for just a few hours work :)

Hi Udat! Nice work :)

Yes, an airbrush will allow for smoother transitions over a spray can. Sometimes excessive graininess can result from holding the can too far away, but even when sprayed from an optimal distance things won't look quite as smooth as when using an airbrush. :)

I am guessing that's because the paint has started to dry before it reaches the figure? Makes sense, and should be something I can watch out for.

Any tips on a good starter airbrush kit? (In the UK)

On 9/7/2018 at 12:32 PM, udat said:

I am guessing that's because the paint has started to dry before it reaches the figure? Makes sense, and should be something I can watch out for.

Any tips on a good starter airbrush kit? (In the UK)

Hey Udat!

Sorry for the late reply.. I'm certainly no expert but I bought my airbrush from element games who provide some convenient airbrush & compressor bundles: https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/AA/airbrush-and-compressor-bundles If nothing else it might provide a good starting place for you to begin doing a little research on the specific brushes they include in the bundles. I can also recommend getting their maintenance bundle too (I'm not affiliated with them by the way!) :)

30970983508_a528b3b7f7_b.jpg

On 5/15/2018 at 12:51 AM, Averross said:

ISB.jpg

Imperium tech support and their angry boss.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :) A friend in our last campaign called the ISB Infiltrators tech support because of their headset and now it's stuck in my head.

"Imperium IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Seriously though, I love the paint job and the pieces of glass.

I love the Palps video. The steel wool works way better for him than my Army Painter Razor Wire setup, but there's one suggestion that I have to make: I think the lightning needs to be closer to purple or indigo. The color of Force Lightning does tend to vary from source (and practitioner), but the almost pastel blue here just doesn't feel very threatening to me.

That said, I love the teeth. That tiny bit of Nurgling Green just makes them feel just the right level of nasty.

On 9/24/2018 at 5:53 PM, Averross said:

I love the Palps video. The steel wool works way better for him than my Army Painter Razor Wire setup, but there's one suggestion that I have to make: I think the lightning needs to be closer to purple or indigo. The color of Force Lightning does tend to vary from source (and practitioner), but the almost pastel blue here just doesn't feel very threatening to me.

That said, I love the teeth. That tiny bit of Nurgling Green just makes them feel just the right level of nasty.

Thanks so much Averross! I really appreciate the helpful feedback :)