Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Hello fellow painters!

I've been a casual visitor to these forums for a little while and since there's now a painting sub-forum I thought I 'd share the progress I've been making with the IA miniatures.

I've noticed some very kind references to my tutorial videos in some of the other painting threads and am very humbled by how well they have been received - so thank you if that applies to you!

Anyway, I managed to finish my Royal Guards the other day; I love how they contrast so nicely against the B&W of the other imperial troops:

16222901389_6088147420_b.jpg

I had an awful lot of fun painting the AT-ST; What a fantastic figure!

16665057152_eae48aaff5_b.jpg

16478891338_0d11efe6df_b.jpg

Phew! The Imperials now have their leader:

16858174625_755493fb8f_b.jpg

16235823484_ccb5b59051_b.jpg

Vader now has some hired help :)

17135650176_451c8e78d4_b.jpg

Rage against the Empire!

19803842060_d2c810bfff_b.jpg

Diala laying the smack down on IG-88 :)

20855599328_f818273950_b.jpg

21803601946_d4a85e3654_b.jpg

23657076765_04747963de_b.jpg

26528036930_2787747f2d_b.jpg

[ 28616087502_07103a897b_b.jpg

29319289725_9fd2c909eb_b.jpg

29638567252_6792549e1f_b.jpg

29378638783_bd15100aa1_b.jpg

29669402433_5a6b4d0812_b.jpg

31966046430_d34137c2c8_b.jpg

32767806780_0f2e50f932_b.jpg

33521077914_bf88a3edbd_b.jpg

34881184576_87d4811148_b.jpg

36864518063_02e13985ba_b.jpg

26361540807_04fc53da23_b.jpg

28145436348_52d0419423_b.jpg

40538966380_5e6a6b85a6_b.jpg

Edited by Sorastro

I am loving your video's! I am planning to use them as my guide for when I finally get round to painting my figures.

Do you already have an idea of what paint's you're going to use or do you address it when you make each video?

Reason I ask is that I'm going to be buying my paints soon and was wondering if you had a list of paints, washes etc which will cater for the whole set.

I am loving your video's! I am planning to use them as my guide for when I finally get round to painting my figures.

Do you already have an idea of what paint's you're going to use or do you address it when you make each video?

Reason I ask is that I'm going to be buying my paints soon and was wondering if you had a list of paints, washes etc which will cater for the whole set.

Thank you! I'm kind of taking each unit as it comes really so I'm afraid I can't give a list of paints that I plan to use for the whole set. At the moment I'm trying out some ideas for the imperial officers and may well go with with a blue-ish grey using Dark Reaper, and I'm also testing some weathering techniques for the AT-ST but haven't yet decided which final colors I'll be using. Sorry I can't be any more specific than that!

Here's a link to episode 1 of his stuff. Fantastic work. These videos have convinced me I can pull this off whenever I can afford paints! :D

Awesome work, I follow your videos and I am happy that I am able to learn the ropes of miniature painting.

Keep up the good work!

I love love love love how the gloss varnish makes the helmets *pop*.

Thanks folks! And I totally agree Fizz about the varnish; It's such a simple step but is so effective :)

You're doing excellent work Sorastro. And I don't mean just the painting, the videos you produce are inspiring the uninitiated who may be afraid to pick up a brush and paint models to go out and give it a shot. In addition to helping those of us who are experienced to learn/relearn forgotten techniques, or just give us ideas on things to try for ourselves.

Bravo, sir.

The world needs more, many of us look forward to your next installments!

PS: Please start a new post in the paining forum with a link your IA painting channel with a nice explanation (maybe some more images), and we'll bug the powers that be to get it pinned!

Edited by Fizz

This has been my first miniature painting project, and your guides have been invaluable. Never thought I'd have a decent looking paint job- you really made it easy to pick up and go. At first I was afraid I was going to pass you as you posted the guides, but now I'm excited to try to use some of the techniques I've learned from you. My Darth Vader looks pretty excellent.

Thank you very much Fizz and Slim. I might do as you suggest Fizz if I can find the time (which I might not until I complete the series!).

Well done slim - both for getting into such a fantastic hobby, and for your Darth! I don't know if it's just a psychological thing but I'm quite daunted by the thought of painting Vader (although I know I must face him eventually!).

Edited by Sorastro

I've been using your guide for painting my guys. Working on the e-web next. Finished the storm troopers, guard and probots. Also might work on the AT-ST. I think I'll use the idea you had for the probots but only one dose of nuln oil. Keep those videos coming! I'm waiting for you to do some of these so I can paint my own :) (Nexu mostly)

I guess I have to line up with the other guys: After getting to know the game a little, it was your guide that finally made me buy Imperial Assault, because I saw how amazing the minis could look after painting and with a step-by-step guide in hand what could go wrong? :)

Is it at least a little ridiculous that I'm starstruck by this? Oh my God, Sorastro replied to my post!

But seriously, you've done excellent work! Keep it up man-- can't wait to see what you do with the hero figures. Those still have me plenty intimidated to be sure. And thanks!

I got paid last Friday, did all my research over the weekend and finally went nuts and bought brushes, paints and primer (from first 4 videos), testor's dullcote, needle files and xacto knife and am looking forward to the weekend!

great painting guides like everyone has said, first seen your for zombicide which was brill too. are you putting any up for vader and the chicken walker?...i would love to see more too!

**** it......

::wanders off early to campaign night to start buying paints::

Sorastro, I've got an airbrush that I picked up for painting my D2e minis that I never got around to. . .any thoughts on using it? Would it save time anywhere or make anything easier? Master the basics of the videos first?

I've really liked the videos, and the paint jobs turn out looking nice. Which one do you plan to tackle next? And is there any reason for the order you're doing them in? Stormtroopers seem fairly unforgiving, with the big white areas.

Thank you all for the supportive comments!

Error 718 - Yes I will be covering Vader and the "chicken walker" (and the rest); I'm really excited to tackle the AT-ST actually but am trying to resist the temptation to just rush in to paint the most exciting figures first :)

Lorddax - I've never actually used an airbrush so I'm afraid I can't offer any guidance but would like to give it a try some time; I imagine it could be great for large models (like the AT-ST) for giving an easy blanket highlight. For the smaller minis I'm not sure how useful an airbrush would be, except perhaps as an alternative way of priming the figure?

Leveton - I plan to complete the core Imperial faction figures before doing anything else so the next couple of videos will cover the officers and the AT-ST. I have given some thought to the order of the tutorials and am working roughly in order of difficulty although I agree with you that the troopers aren't especially easy (and on reflection I think the droids are easier). At the same time, I think cutting your teeth on the troopers is a good way to develop brush control and get a feel for paint consistency without having to worry about color.

Thanks again for all the kind words, and for your patience as I know it takes a while to produce each episode (stupid day job getting in the way!).

Happy painting!

Sorastro, quit your day job! :D

**** it......

::wanders off early to campaign night to start buying paints::

Sorastro, I've got an airbrush that I picked up for painting my D2e minis that I never got around to. . .any thoughts on using it? Would it save time anywhere or make anything easier? Master the basics of the videos first?

You can use it on droids to some extent. I mainly used it to prime and do pre-shading on certain models. Otherwise it is very difficult to use due to preassembled miniatures. Brush is your best friend here. :)

Can't wait to see the videos,keep up the good work!

Thank you! At the moment I'm trying out some ideas for the imperial officers and may well go with with a blue-ish grey using Dark Reaper,

Consider painting one of the Imperial Officers as an Imperial Security Bureau Officer.

Besides the joy of watching a master at work, I find the voice behind Sorastro's videos very soothing and very Sith in "temptation mode" like.

I think I went a bit overzealous with my Nuln Oil on the Stormtroopers. I hope the White Scar makes them look decent again!

In Sorastro I trust!

Edited by finalfantasyflightVII