Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Thanks folks! There's some nice-looking Imperials on the March :)

EwokCompanion: They look pretty good! To preserve the details you may simply need to thin your paint a little more :)

Good luck Muzz333 - I'm sure they'll come out great; Let us know how you get on!

I'm just putting the final touches to the painting for episode 7 before starting the narrative and editing... May the force be with us all :)

Edited by Sorastro

I'm not sure what I'm most excited to see, your upcoming Darth Vader or the Trandoshans.

Are we down to just Vader for the Imperials? I guess so, until we get Royal Guard Champion and General Weiss. I'm really excited to see how Sorastro does Vader's lightsaber.

But I also can't wait to see the Rebel heroes done. Or Luke. Or the Trandoshans. Or the Nexu. Dang it, I want all my Sorastro's Painting tutorials now.

Are we down to just Vader for the Imperials? I guess so, until we get Royal Guard Champion and General Weiss. I'm really excited to see how Sorastro does Vader's lightsaber.

But I also can't wait to see the Rebel heroes done. Or Luke. Or the Trandoshans. Or the Nexu. Dang it, I want all my Sorastro's Painting tutorials now.

We all do. The light sabre is going to be the best part of this next video. I think it will cast some ambient lighting.

We are starting a new campaign a week from tomorrow as the Imperial player I'm trying to get everything painted.

I finished up my E-Webs today so for now my units are:

Stormtroopers

Officers

Probe Droids

Royal Guards

E-Webs

AT-ST

Vader

Trandoshans

Nexu

Rebel Figurines

I just bought paints for all my officers yesterday so I'm going to attempt to knock that out tonight. We plan to do two missions per session does anyone know which imperial figures are used the most often in side missions? I'm deciding what to paint next after officers as I know I'll have everything ready for "Aftermath".

Edited by KennedyHawk

Double post. :(

Edited by Muz333

Well, that's the first group out of the way. They weren't too terrible for my first ever paint jobs. I'm sure the dry brushing could have went a lot better and a grey spray primer would have been better than dark green but I worked with what I had.

k98gvl.jpg

Edited by Muz333

Thanks for the videos! They have helped encourage me to get back into painting minis. So far so good

EwokCompanion: They look pretty good! To preserve the details you may simply need to thin your paint a little more :)

Thanks for the kind words. Good call about thinning! I purchased a cheap dropper bottle for my water and it really helps measure out the amount to mix with the paint. Things are looking a little smoother :)

Edited by EwokCompanion

We are starting a new campaign a week from tomorrow as the Imperial player I'm trying to get everything painted.

I just bought paints for all my officers yesterday so I'm going to attempt to knock that out tonight. We plan to do two missions per session does anyone know which imperial figures are used the most often in side missions? I'm deciding what to paint next after officers as I know I'll have everything ready for "Aftermath".

This is a more personal opinion, in my games I select the Elite Imperial Officer and Elite Stormtroopers the most followed by the regular E Web and Trandoshans. I will use the Royal Guard soon, I was holding them back to the latter half of the campaign to wait for the Dream Side Quest to resolve to make the dream a foreshadowing through The Force of the danger to come.

Just done the bases and varnishing for the Royal Guard that I painted after my droids on Sunday. They are really quite messy and the highlights are a bit over the top. Better than plain plastic on the table at least. Plus I felt like I learned a bit doing them.

So without any further ado here are my second ever painted minis.

29iwqe.jpg

Edit:

Next up the Storm troopers. That may help learn some brush control before doing the pesky officers and attempting flesh colours.

Also protip for anyone else new to this. Do not spray the varnish in an enclosed room with no open windows. That makes you dizzy rather fast!

Edited by Muz333

I just finished my E-Web Engineers and am happy with how they came out.

I thinned the paint pretty well and tried to approach the more delicate areas with caution. I really enjoyed dry brushing the gun as well as adding the wear and tear with the silver highlights. I couldn't resist adding a little glowing ember to the left shoulder of the regular engineer.

Thanks, Sorastro!

Kdk5Iim.jpg

Hi Muzz333 and EwokCompanion - They look terrific!

Love your E-Web Engineers Ewok.

Looking at my in progress Storm Troopers I feel rather ashamed at my inability to keep the paint in the right areas.

Agh! I saw this morning that there was an update on Sorastro's YouTube channel. Could it really be? Is Vader getting his turn in the spotlight? Will I get to see Sorastro's technique for painting his lightsaber?

Eventually, yeah, but not yet. The update was a note celebrating a new subscriber milestone and assuring us that Episode VII is on its way but can't be rushed.

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, sir. Bravo!

Agh! I saw this morning that there was an update on Sorastro's YouTube channel. Could it really be? Is Vader getting his turn in the spotlight? Will I get to see Sorastro's technique for painting his lightsaber?

Eventually, yeah, but not yet. The update was a note celebrating a new subscriber milestone and assuring us that Episode VII is on its way but can't be rushed.

I thought the exact same thing...

I thought the exact same thing...

Lol sorry guys! That was unintentional. All I can tell you is I'm working hard on the next episode; Thanks for your patience!

Don't worry, Sorastro. Just teasing. I am really looking forward to all of your tutorials as I make my own plans for painting. But I do understand that projects like this can take some time, especially when spread out over a limited amount of free time. I do appreciate the time and effort you're putting into them.

Agreed, it's all in fun. I've still got plenty to work on myself.

I can only imagine how much slower the process is for you, having to video everything step by step for us newbies.

Well, the Storm Troopers were a lot messier than I had hoped. I forgot just how small they are when watching your expert brush work pick out all the little details.

Anyway, here they are. I'll get the E-web engineers done tomorrow as I have a game night tonight.

c2ik4.jpg

Edit:

The picture shows a lot of fresh blaster damage. However a lot of the scuffs don't have the glowing embers. The angle I placed the minis and took the photo by coincidence just shows all the glowing damage.

Edited by Muz333

I think the E-web Engineers came out a little neater than my Stormtroopers. This was because rather than being hunched over a coffee table on the ground I made some space on my PC desk where I could sit and rest my elbows. I'm jealous of Ewoks Engineers though, his came out much better! Maybe I have to invest in some corks, white tac and a portable light. That would make things easier as I'd be less inclined to drop the minis.

2ltnfwh.jpg

When do we see Vader?

Just making a start to the officers now. Somewhat frustratingly it turns out the Stegadon Scale Green is the same colour as the Incubi Darkness spray coat I gave them.

Edited by Muz333

Finished up some probe droids just in time for a campaign. I love the touch of gloss on the eyes to give it the eerie quality. All the models I've painted so far have been figures I bought off eBay just in case I messed up the ones that came with the game.

uioag4ph.jpg

Now that I've gained some confidence with painting the ones I bought off eBay, I went back to our stormtroopers to help identify them in the finale. Our imperial player is using the trooper boosting deck so I think he'll appreciate differentiating the four squads :)

qhvsWHSh.jpg

I'm not anywhere near a competent model painter, but I am happy about the progress I've personally made - especially paying more attention to details. Here's one of my first stormtroopers compared to one I just got done highlighting:

gjcw9txh.jpg

They aren't perfect, but it is a blast to see them on the board!

Keep up the awesome videos, Sorastro.

Edited by EwokCompanion

That's a huge improvement Ewok. I wish I thought to practice on extra models first. I done my officers last night, they only eed a spray of varnish before I head to work then the 'Ardcoat boots when I get home.

These are my first figures that I'm 95 % happy with. While struggling with poor lighting (it turns out Incubi Darkness and Stegadon Scale Green are a tiny bit different) I held the base of the figure on my knee and rested the wrist of my painting hand on my lower thigh. This allowed me to hold the figure and brush a lot steadier than before. As the knee is curved it also allows you to move the figure about to get different angles while keeping the figure steady and getting better light from above.

So, here they are. I'll to the finishing touches tonight and probably hold off on the AT-ST until the weekend. With no grey spray primer it's going to obliterate my paint supply. You'll need to get Darth Vader uploaded soon Sorastro, I'm catching up!

2hhox9t.jpg

Edit:

I really need to get better at cleaning up the mould lines. I have the Citadel mould line remover tool which doesn't seem idea for this type of plastic. I think ideally I need a good file.

Edited by Muz333