Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

On 30/10/2017 at 5:19 PM, udat said:

Took a run at Obi Wan. I think I totally overdid the object source lighting. Not sure if anyone can recommend a way to rescue it?

24195415128_ca776c9761_c.jpg

Obi Wan Kenobi

So?

How it went?

2 hours ago, mjusto said:

So?

How it went?

I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm off to Taiwan tonight for a week and a bit and I will have a go when I get back :)

Here is my collection until now. Most are painted according to Sorastro’s videos although sometimes I try to adventurous myself.

18 minis to go - all rebels.

2Kuxpch_d.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/T5lUC

Edited by Vanushka

Eagerly awaiting the Maestro’s next video. He must be hard at work.

As an aside I was going to bid for his Obi - Wan figurine because I’m one of his earliest fans and it’s a good cause, but my bid of $100 was blown out of the water before I could register on the bid site.

Well done to all involved.

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Finished my Vader. Thanks Sorastro!!

2MgmDsM.jpg

nymdoTO.jpg

9Zn9z7l.jpg

I was initially intimidated to rebase Vader but decided to go for it. also the gloss was a bit too much for my tastes so I toned it down a bit. :) very happy with the results.

s3g9EDj.jpg

JVpL8Bs.jpg

7WLmBFd.jpg

On 10/30/2017 at 3:19 PM, udat said:

Took a run at Obi Wan. I think I totally overdid the object source lighting. Not sure if anyone can recommend a way to rescue it?

24195415128_ca776c9761_c.jpg

Obi Wan Kenobi

This looks totally awesome to me. Sometimes we can be our own worst critics. I would say put it away for a day or two and then take a fresh look at it. If it still bugs you then do what you can to fix it. But to me it looks perfect.

On 02/12/2017 at 2:59 AM, Boomer_J said:

This looks totally awesome to me. Sometimes we can be our own worst critics. I would say put it away for a day or two and then take a fresh look at it. If it still bugs you then do what you can to fix it. But to me it looks perfect.

Thanks, man. I have left it for now, after doing precisely what you suggest. I still think it's very slightly over-done, but I think there's more risk of making it worse than making it better :)

On 01/12/2017 at 0:32 AM, hulkioa06 said:

I was initially intimidated to rebase Vader but decided to go for it. also the gloss was a bit too much for my tastes so I toned it down a bit. :) very happy with the results.

Very cool. I haven't built up the nerve to rebase anything yet. The lightsaber looks fantastic. Beautifully smooth gradient. The chest piece is great too.

I think the three little spots of silver on the mouth/nose would really finish it off. Like you can see here:

Vader's Mask

So I built up the nerve to try re-basing, and I kinda wish I hadn't. I feel like I've ruined one of the better figures I've painted (Loku) and I'm not sure how/if I can rescue it.

I was using Citadel Plastic glue, and while I know how it works (by essentially melting the plastic) I wasn't prepared for just how much it does so, with the thinnest film of the stuff causing untold damage. Loku's back foot is raised, so not really suitable for a post, and that thing just slid around and caused mayhem. I was trying to hold the figure still until the glue set, but that seemed to take forever, and even after it has set, the figure feels very wobbly. I'm not too bothered about ruining the base, as they are fairly cheap and quick to paint, but I am really annoyed with myself for knackering a hero.

Will/do FFG sell individual hero figures?

On 12/4/2017 at 4:43 AM, udat said:

So I built up the nerve to try re-basing, and I kinda wish I hadn't. I feel like I've ruined one of the better figures I've painted (Loku) and I'm not sure how/if I can rescue it.

I was using Citadel Plastic glue, and while I know how it works (by essentially melting the plastic) I wasn't prepared for just how much it does so, with the thinnest film of the stuff causing untold damage. Loku's back foot is raised, so not really suitable for a post, and that thing just slid around and caused mayhem. I was trying to hold the figure still until the glue set, but that seemed to take forever, and even after it has set, the figure feels very wobbly. I'm not too bothered about ruining the base, as they are fairly cheap and quick to paint, but I am really annoyed with myself for knackering a hero.

Unfortunately they don't you can try eBay and someone may be selling one separately. Have you tried pinning them using pieces of paper clip in the bottom of their feet? That is how Sorastro did them after Vader.

On 04/12/2017 at 9:43 AM, udat said:

Unfortunately the base you were using (and the ones that Sorastro uses) were most likely resin and plastic glue won't work with them. It sounds like you were relying on melting the figure's feet onto the base rather than creating a thin contact point between the base and the foot which would have been all that was needed if the base had been plastic and reacted with the glue as well.

You are best using a variation on superglue.

Hi all! Here are a couple of the more recent Imperial Assault minis I've painted, as always using Sorastro's guides. Jabba and the HK droids. That sounds like a pretty amazing band.

DSC_7809.jpg

DSC_7945.jpg

DSC_7957.jpg

8 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Hi all! Here are a couple of the more recent Imperial Assault minis I've painted, as always using Sorastro's guides. Jabba and the HK droids. That sounds like a pretty amazing band.

DSC_7809.jpg

DSC_7945.jpg

DSC_7957.jpg

I like the gold one. I’m planning on doing one of my stormtrooper squads in gold when legion drops. I’ll call them “Blingtroopers”

My conflicting emotions around The Last Jedi inspired me to paint Jedi Luke. I also finished off my Jawa with some texture paint. I might so something similar for Luke, but I've not decided what yet.

27446902559_eef7134f7c_c.jpg

@feltmonkey for your Jabba base did you just follow the directions in Sorastro's video? Or do anything different? Looks good. I'm planning to do a similar style Tattooine base for my farmboy Luke.

**** @Sorastro these are all amazing. I never painted miniatures before, never thought I had the skill, but your videos make it look easy. Now the only thing I have to figure out is time, space and money for the initial cost of paints. This really makes me want to paint my IA miniatures.

9 minutes ago, Loosie said:

**** @Sorastro these are all amazing. I never painted miniatures before, never thought I had the skill, but your videos make it look easy. Now the only thing I have to figure out is time, space and money for the initial cost of paints. This really makes me want to paint my IA miniatures.

Thank you so much Loosie! My advice would be to start your paint collection small, with just the colours you need for your first figure or group of figures, then gradually expand your collection over time :)

Dear @Sorastro !

My wife is an apprentice of yours via Youtube.

She only do paintings as you do. (even when i asked a little modification on one of the HK droids she said: Sorastro did it this way...)

Her favorite Charakter is Ahsoka.

She checks your channel every weekend since the realise of the pack if you created a video about Ahsoka or not.

Today she asked: Is there any way to ask Sorastro to paint Ahsoka?

After that what can a husband do?

I dont want to make this post looks like an online petition but...

**** yeah it will be exactly that.

Pls I beg you make an Ahsoka Video.

Thank you in advance!

2 minutes ago, Ace_of_Spades said:

Dear @Sorastro !

My wife is an apprentice of yours via Youtube.

She only do paintings as you do. (even when i asked a little modification on one of the HK droids she said: Sorastro did it this way...)

Her favorite Charakter is Ahsoka.

She checks your channel every weekend since the realise of the pack if you created a video about Ahsoka or not.

Today she asked: Is there any way to ask Sorastro to paint Ahsoka?

After that what can a husband do?

I dont want to make this post looks like an online petition but...

**** yeah it will be exactly that.

Pls I beg you make an Ahsoka Video.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Ace!

Ha ha - your wife is in luck: I've almost finished editing the next episode and it is indeed Ahsoka Tano :)

2 hours ago, Sorastro said:

Hi Ace!

Ha ha - your wife is in luck: I've almost finished editing the next episode and it is indeed Ahsoka Tano :)

You are amazing!
And we hope you are getting well soon!
(Looks like we have to follow you on twitter from now on as well not just on youtube ;) )

Edited by Ace_of_Spades
On 1/6/2018 at 9:02 AM, Loosie said:

If I can jock my own work...

You can use the tracker I made to figure out which paints show up most often in @Sorastro ‘s tutorials.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PkyvPMICX4FBEQZ45awi6oOd_NeT0SBgKVExN63jMaA/edit?usp=sharing

We are starting the Bespin mini campaign soon, so I thought I'd best paint some of the figures. Here's Bossk.

26100303768_ee131888c4_c.jpg
26100304958_1e4a3b5319_c.jpg

I still have all of the Bespin figures (besides Lando) left to paint. Anyone got any tips/colour suggestions for the Wing Guards, Ugnaughts, or their Junk Droids?

Murne's turn :)

40070151012_ee45ea1061_z.jpg
39203643395_3d0e71a16e_z.jpg

Ok so I really suck at eyes. I botched jyns so bad I covered them and my Luke looked awesome until the eyes now he looks like a cartoon character lol.

@Sorastro Or anyone for that matter, any tips on this? Methods to follow? Best ways to just not do eyes but still make the face look natural?

its frustrating to spend so much time on a figure have it look good the at the very last step lose it all :/